Splendor - Carnival Offering Full Refund if Desired

qsuzi

We're booked on Splendor 2 Feb so we are anxious to hear if the repairs were successful.

Maybe they won't know until they cruise for a bit. I'm guessing they really can't "take her out for a test drive" so hopefully someone on board now will give us the scoop.:) Thanks, m--

We are also booked on the Splendor to South America from Long Beach, sailing on 3 Feb. 13. Sounds like the problem has been rectified. Hope the upcoming Hawaiian cruise goes well for all those cruisers looking forward to their trip. Be gentle with our ship please...LOL

We are also booked on the Splendor to South America from Long Beach, sailing on 3 Feb. 13. Sounds like the problem has been rectified. Hope the upcoming Hawaiian cruise goes well for all those cruisers looking forward to their trip. Be gentle with our ship please...LOL

We'll leave in nice shape for you. Enjoy your trip!!

So, how did they make the repairs to the seals on the props, in an earlier post Friday someone said there were parts all over the dock, would love to see pictures of that.

But how do they do the repairs, with scuba divers? Robot sub type machine? Flood the front of the ship to tip it and raise the back out of the water?

Just would be interesting to see/know how it is done.

anyone know?

There was not parts all over the place. It was more their equipment. Most of the work was going on in the ship and there were divers. We could see from our balcony divers coming and going.

Once repairs were done it was smooth sailing! We were told about 300 people disembarked in PV once it was announced that we wouldn't arrive until Monday. IMHO repairs were delayed because not much activity was happening the first day in PV. For those of you wondering there were divers in wet suits to do repairs. We were allowed free phone calls, if you didn't mind waiting in line for hours and then could get a line out, and eventually free Internet access but only in the cafe on their terminals. No charge for the extra day gratuities and the same compensation ($200/person flight change). Also putting people up in hotels in PV if needed.

All this being said, we had not been on a fun ship in several years and we have to say we were pleasantly surprised. We thought the food was fantastic, only exception being the menu for the extra night which was a throw together menu, and the steakhouse was amazing! Definitely worth the $35. Make a reservation for the first night and you will get a complementary bottle of wine. Not sure if this holds true for all of the cabins, but our closet was minuscule! About 16 inches of hanging closet space and 3 shelves in the other half of the closet (bottom shelf was filled with those pretty orange vests you hope you don't need). 4 small drawers in vanity table plus one more that contains the hair dryer.

Also to chime in on some of the weather questions. Cabo was high 70/low 80. Hawaii bound people definitely need jacket for first day at sea and usually last day. I have done this trip in November, February and in April and I plan for cool weather first two days and last two days but I have been surprised by being able to don a suit and sit by the pool on the second sea day and the day prior to Ensenada. Went in November 2012 and this was the case. Once in the islands we experienced 80s. Be sure to prepare for rain as you can catch a brief downpour at times. Have fun!

Once repairs were done it was smooth sailing! We were told about 300 people disembarked in PV once it was announced that we wouldn't arrive until Monday. IMHO repairs were delayed because not much activity was happening the first day in PV. For those of you wondering there were divers in wet suits to do repairs. We were allowed free phone calls' date=' if you didn't mind waiting in line for hours and then could get a line out, and eventually free Internet access but only in the cafe on their terminals. No charge for the extra day gratuities and the same compensation ($200/person flight change). Also putting people up in hotels in PV if needed.

All this being said, we had not been on a fun ship in several years and we have to say we were pleasantly surprised. We thought the food was fantastic, only exception being the menu for the extra night which was a throw together menu, and the steakhouse was amazing! Definitely worth the $35. Make a reservation for the first night and you will get a complementary bottle of wine. Not sure if this holds true for all of the cabins, but our closet was minuscule! About 16 inches of hanging closet space and 3 shelves in the other half of the closet (bottom shelf was filled with those pretty orange vests you hope you don't need). 4 small drawers in vanity table plus one more that contains the hair dryer.

Also to chime in on some of the weather questions. Cabo was high 70/low 80. Hawaii bound people definitely need jacket for first day at sea and usually last day. I have done this trip in November, February and in April and I plan for cool weather first two days and last two days but I have been surprised by being able to don a suit and sit by the pool on the second sea day and the day prior to Ensenada. Went in November 2012 and this was the case. Once in the islands we experienced 80s. Be sure to prepare for rain as you can catch a brief downpour at times. Have fun![/quote']

Thanks for the update. We are so excited and very happy to hear that your return trip went smoothly, with the exception of the delay in PV. This will be our first time on the Splendor and we are looking forward to a wonderful vacation!!

We decided to cancel and take the money & run! Now that we are losing a sea day and PV altogether (where it's warm) it doesn't seem worth it to go. Carnival was very nice about it, said they'll credit my amex for 100% of the airfare, excursions and cruise fare within 10-14 days. After hanging up I found a really good last minute package deal on orbitz to Hawaii. So, Waikiki Beach, here we come!

Hope you had a great time in Hawaii! The couple that took your cabin, next door to us, claims to have gotten it for $900.00 for both of them!!

I wonder how long it's gonna take to get that refund from CCL!!!

Hope you had a great time in Hawaii! The couple that took your cabin, next door to us, claims to have gotten it for $900.00 for both of them!!

I wonder how long it's gonna take to get that refund from CCL!!!

Hawaii was totally awesome! The weather was perfect.

That's a great deal for an aft balcony, great for them. We also ended up getting a great last minute package to Hawaii. Almost makes me want to wait until the last minute to book a vacation every time.

We already received the refund for the excursions, a letter stating a check has been sent for the airfare and was guaranteed the cruise fare would be refunded within 10-14 days so should be sometime this week.

Hope you had fun!

• 1 month later...

Oh how I wish I had saw this thread before booking. My family and I are going out on Splendor on 10 Jun 2013. I really want to cancel but I don't wish to take the financial loss. To add to that, I booked through a travel agent so I can't work directly with Carnival. I wish they would give us an option to cancel without penalty or with a very affordable penalty given the numerous maintenance issues that have come to light about these Carnival ships in recent months and repeat maintenance issues with Splendor . I'm really hoping my family doesn't bail on me! They will if they keep watching the news. :(

Oh how I wish I had saw this thread before booking. My family and I are going out on Splendor on 10 Jun 2013. I really want to cancel but I don't wish to take the financial loss. To add to that, I booked through a travel agent so I can't work directly with Carnival. I wish they would give us an option to cancel without penalty or with a very affordable penalty given the numerous maintenance issues that have come to light about these Carnival ships in recent months and repeat maintenance issues with Splendor . I'm really hoping my family doesn't bail on me! They will if they keep watching the news. :(

This was repaired 6 months ago. No problems with the Splendor as she's been traveling around South America.

You sound possibly like a first time cruiser.I am sailing on this ship with you and I have been cruising for over 25 years. I have no worry that we are going to have a great time. The media is great at hyping anything. Google the other lines and maintanence problems. You will see they all have had their fair share. Carnival is going through a rough period now and people will tend to talk about them. Soon they will move on to another line that has problems. I have not seen anything that has shown any of the problems can be contributed to poor rountine maintanence.

I hope that you do not cancel as you will be cancelling a trip of a lifetime for your family if they have never been.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope...not a first timer. I've been going on at least a cruise a year (sometimes 3) since 2007. I just know my family and I don't want them to worry. I would go by myself if I had to. I absolutely love cruisin'. My last cruise was in January to celebrate my anniversary (on RC). It was an absolute blast and I can't wait to go in June. See you in June :p.

Archived