Splendor - Carnival Offering Full Refund if Desired

qsuzi

A friend that just got off the Splendor this morning had this to say:

Hello everybody and happy new years! We just got off the Splendor and we did not hear anything about issues while onboard. Everything was smooth sailing.

I guess they used their own chicken bones to get rid of the curse.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Look at the glass 1/2 full for a change.

Life is an adventure.

I'm going to be on the Splendor Jan 19 Hawaii cruise. And it is going to be fun no matter what happens:D

I appreciate your optimism, but I prefer to live in reality. And the reality is, this is a very precarious situation.

I am really confused now. The Splendor is sailing it's last MR Cruise on 1-13-13. (scary numbers for me) Then I see people here saying they are sailing on the Splendor to Hawaii on 1-19-13. Her last Mexican cruise is not 7 days?

No it's a six day.

Paranoia will destroy ya.

Look at the glass 1/2 full for a change.

Life is an adventure.

I'm going to be on the Splendor Jan 19 Hawaii cruise. And it is going to be fun no matter what happens:D

...said the passengers of the Concordia, the Titanic, the Andrea D'Oria, the.....

To ignore one is at sea and not think there are perils at sea has their head 1/2 full in the clouds.....

...said the passengers of the Concordia, the Titanic, the Andrea D'Oria, the.....

To ignore one is at sea and not think there are perils at sea has their head 1/2 full in the clouds.....

Wish there was a like button. Thanks Mr. Pete.

A friend that just got off the Splendor this morning had this to say:

Hello everybody and happy new years! We just got off the Splendor and we did not hear anything about issues while onboard. Everything was smooth sailing.

I guess they used their own chicken bones to get rid of the curse.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Thanks for the update! Another happy Hawaiian bound Splendor cruiser on the 19th of January.:D:D

Hmmm seems Carnival is having this problem a lot lately. Our friends just had the same issue in November on the Liberty. Ended up stuck in San Juan while for two days while they fixed it, and totally messed up their itinerary. I am sailing on Miracle soon, which is the sister of the Splendour. Hope we don't run into any issues. Maybe time to do some maintenance on the fleet.

Hmmm seems Carnival is having this problem a lot lately. Our friends just had the same issue in November on the Liberty. Ended up stuck in San Juan while for two days while they fixed it, and totally messed up their itinerary. I am sailing on Miracle soon, which is the sister of the Splendour. Hope we don't run into any issues. Maybe time to do some maintenance on the fleet.

The Miracle is not a sister to the Splendor. The Splendor is a sister to the Concordia.

It can break down once we leave Oahu as long as we are still in a warm climate and the ship has power, though we would miss those fun filled 5 hours in Ensenada!

You better bring your jackets that Pacific on the way back us far from warm :)

I'll say. We went in April and it was cool the entire trip across.

Mr. Pete....could you expound on that? We don't know what to expect for the crossing over and back. Whey you say cool, jeans, sweats, what?? I keep telling my husband not to expect warm weather and he doesn't believe me.

Mr. Pete....could you expound on that? We don't know what to expect for the crossing over and back. Whey you say cool, jeans, sweats, what?? I keep telling my husband not to expect warm weather and he doesn't believe me.

I'm not Mr. Pete....but we sailed roundtrip to Hawaii on Hal in April of 2010...never put on a bathing suit...dh was so disappointed..he loves warm weather...can't get him to go back...be prepared to wear jackets the first few days going and the last few days coming back..the Pacific is cool:D and it's a bit rougher than the Caribbean:eek:

I'm not Mr. Pete....but we sailed roundtrip to Hawaii on Hal in April of 2010...never put on a bathing suit...dh was so disappointed..he loves warm weather...can't get him to go back...be prepared to wear jackets the first few days going and the last few days coming back..the Pacific is cool:D and it's a bit rougher than the Caribbean:eek:

Thanks Jane. Was the weather in Hawaii cool also? I'm ok with not swimming but I'm bringing mostly light clothing along with a fleece jacket. Do you think that will be enough? Hubby is planning on wearing shorts most of the time. I'm thinking he may need some long pants?

I'm in New England and cool is relative. lol. What was the temp like crossing back and forth?

Cool in that I wish I had brought a jacket. I guess if it really bothered me, I would have bought one on board.

I expected that sailing from Mexico (Ensenada), I was south enough that I would be warm. It was never "warm" till we got to Hawaii. Never forget that feeling pulling into Kauaii and seeing land after such a long period.

Again, this was April. No clue what to expect in January.

And loved wearing my fresh lei all day long!

2391226690057720145UoSiTf_fs.jpg

BTW, we had a car waiting for us in every port, for something like $25 for the day, because we prebooked. Those with sticker shock seeing how expensive the tours were (hey, it's America, not a third world country), those renting a car the day of call were charged $75.

I wouldn't say we were "stuck" in San Juan for two days. We skipped St Thomas to head directly to SJ for repair, arriving late Tuesday afternoon. The problem was fixed and we stayed in port overnight, since Wednesday was our scheduled stop in SJ. I rather enjoyed the extra time there; San Juan is a beautiful city.

Cool in that I wish I had brought a jacket. I guess if it really bothered me, I would have bought one on board.

I expected that sailing from Mexico (Ensenada), I was south enough that I would be warm. It was never "warm" till we got to Hawaii. Never forget that feeling pulling into Kauaii and seeing land after such a long period.

BTW, we had a car waiting for us in every port, for something like $25 for the day, because we prebooked. Those with sticker shock seeing how expensive the tours were (hey, it's America, not a third world country), those renting a car the day of call were charged $75.

Thanks for the response. I just read it to my hubby. We have only been on Caribbean cruises and are used to the warm weather...we will have to re-think our attire.

Thanks Jane. Was the weather in Hawaii cool also? I'm ok with not swimming but I'm bringing mostly light clothing along with a fleece jacket. Do you think that will be enough? Hubby is planning on wearing shorts most of the time. I'm thinking he may need some long pants?

Sea days will be chilly and the weather in Hawaii is warm all year.

Thanks MrPete. Nice pic. We are very excited. I'll take the cool weather as long as we get to see Hawaii!! :-)

Do you have any additional information regarding problems with the Carnival Splendor? Just got e-mail offering full refund for 1-6-13 cruise because of damage to seal of propulsion shafts and 2 nights in Puerto Vallarta (for repairs)? but says no issue of health & safety. As some may remember the Splendor had an engine fire in the last 2 years requiring extensive dry dock with passengers stranded at sea for days (we had to reschedule because of this issue). The 900 number rep didn't have more information about how likely it would be for any possible delays in return date and time. What would you do, sail or ask for a refund?

OMG.. they are using a 900 number now? :D

Archived