Splendor - Carnival Offering Full Refund if Desired

qsuzi

I have never heard of Carnival willfully offering full refunds. This seems fishy.

Seams very strange,

When we were on the Splendor Dec 9 we were to be in Cabo on Tue and Wed then Cabo on Thursday PV and Friday Saturday days at sea.

The letter says Wed and Thrusday in PV and they are refunding the port charges from Cabo on Wed, So are they not going to Cabo at all? Or are they going there on Tuesday, We made it back from Cabo in one day, just Sat, Are they expecting more delays? Are they already knowing it wont be finished,

Seams like they are leaving something out....

I did a double take when I read the e-mail but it has been confirmed with Carnival. Reasons cited were recent Carnival issues on other ships and cruiser complaints, last minute notice, cruiser concerns about possible hotel stays in Mexico if that was needed. Wish I was a fly on the wall to hear or see the communication by those making the decision.

Based on the events of 2012, it's a bunch of monkeys playing twister off a roulette wheel.

I have never heard of Carnival willfully offering full refunds. This seems fishy.

Being it's an itinerary change, with a lot of mumbo jumbo in the contract, you are allowed a full refund.

I just have never seen them proactive as such, and "public".

I would not go. Sorry I have said since the swine flu cruise that this ship was cursed. The captain hitting a dock 2 times, captain having a heart attack and having to be replaced, the engine fire and now all the changes in the itinerary. I know there are othere things that have happened to the Splendor. I believe this ship is only 5 years old and that is alot for problems in that short amount of time. JMT

I would not go. Sorry I have said since the swine flu cruise that this ship was cursed. The captain hitting a dock 2 times, captain having a heart attack and having to be replaced, the engine fire and now all the changes in the itinerary. I know there are othere things that have happened to the Splendor. I believe this ship is only 5 years old and that is alot for problems in that short amount of time. JMT

I was waiting for someone to come with this. The ship is cursed..yeah you are right:eek:

For them to be offering full refunds freely, it smells like they're not disclosing something.

It sounds like they are giving pax the opportunity to cancel the cruise without penalty because of a known issue which has caused a change in the itinerary. I remember reading threads where a cruise line made such a change prior to sailing and people expressed the wish that they had been given such an option.

All that being said, I would not let the issue interfere with my vacation- I would go.

It sounds like they are giving pax the opportunity to cancel the cruise without penalty because of a known issue which has caused a change in the itinerary. I remember reading threads where a cruise line made such a change prior to sailing and people expressed the wish that they had been given such an option.

All that being said, I would not let the issue interfere with my vacation- I would go.

The change is because of a mechanical issue, they are offering a refund because of this. Basically, could they be saying it's now a cruise to nowhere?

Bail out now!! We were stuck on the Destiny with propulsion problems (long, long after all the propulsion problems were reported to be resolved). Worst cruise ever.

We must have sailed together! We were on Destiny B2B also AFTER propulsion issues (three months after!) which were reportedly fixed. Of the 9 days between the 2 cruises, 7 were 'yet again another' "Fun Day at Sea." Of the 4 ports scheduled, we made one of them. The other day in port of the 9 was an unscheduled Nassau (I have never scheduled a cruise with nassau but have been diverted there 4 times...) Ship limped along for 9 days. As a non-gambler, I ended up reading the majority of the time. I was most grateful for having a Kindle along and having spare books downloaded. I read more in those 9 days than I did all year, I think! Not a bad thing, just not particularly how I planned to spend my 'big' vacation of the year.

As for OP, I would just go on the cruise as is. I have only been on one Carnival Cruise ever that made the itinerary as advertised. I view each cruise as an adventure, as I really don't know where it is going or not going. I now just choose by the dates. I always manage to have a good time no matter where it goes, so it doesn't really matter!

The change is because of a mechanical issue, they are offering a refund because of this. Basically, could they be saying it's now a cruise to nowhere?

If something goes wrong with the repairs anything is possible but from the sound of it they are confident that the repairs can be done in the time alloted.

I was waiting for someone to come with this. The ship is cursed..yeah you are right:eek:

I don't think the ship is cursed, I think it goes back to the design of the ship, because lets not forget about her sister. While the captain made an unforgivable error, going close to the shore and hit a rock. The ship flooded and killed a lot of good people that trusted the ship would not sink.

I have always and still try to believe that the water compartments are intended to keep the ship from taking on too much water so it can still float, and be safe.

Carnival is lucky that when it hit the dock in PV a few years ago, that it did not sink when sitting there.

I don't think I would go on this cruise, because the letter that was posted, still has a few days un accounted for, as if Carnival knows more than they are saying.

I think the reason they are offering the refund now, is they know they might need more time to fix the ship, and this time it is not leaving untill fixed, really fixed. Because lets remember, they have a few long, really long cruises coming up and don't want to get stranded down at the bottom of the world going around the horn.

I see advice posted for both go and cancel, but some who are booked on this cruise have much more invested than just the cruise fare. Transportation and hotels must be considered in the decision also. Most of those expenses will not be covered by Carnival's offer.

Unless you have "cancel for any reason" insurance, the logical decision would be to go.

If something goes wrong with the repairs anything is possible but from the sound of it they are confident that the repairs can be done in the time alloted.

Yes that is what they assured us on 12/9 also. But let me tell you we were told on monday of our itin. change and it was the roughest ride we ever experienced from sunday night til we got into PV on wednesday morning. I bet there is more to this story then is being put out.

My TA says it is not usual for Carnival to offer full refunds (sometimes a credit for port changes) so still concerned that this is a routine fix with very low probability of delays or more serious. What are you basing your opinion on?

I worked on ships and a shaft seal leak does not affect the operation of the props. Seals leak for a variety of reasons and this was caused by nets. They will have plenty of time to do the maintenance. So yippee for 2 days in PV

I see advice posted for both go and cancel, but some who are booked on this cruise have much more invested than just the cruise fare. Transportation and hotels must be considered in the decision also. Most of those expenses will not be covered by Carnival's offer.

Unless you have "cancel for any reason" insurance, the logical decision would be to go.

If I had planned this cruise, had other expenses etc., I think I'd go. If all didn't go well with repairs etc, those who sailed likely will get certified for a great discount or even a new free cruise from all this.;)

Yup. Neptune is angry with this ship. They should have christened her in the conventional method.

Neptune is going to be angry with Sunshine as well.

I TOO,Have worked on ships,IF THEY HAVE TO REPLACE,a main shaft seal,that requires disconnecting shaft,and pulling shaft to replace seal,is not a nilly willy,job and it takes awhile to do this,stabalize shaft etc etc,and if they dont gget right part etc etc,IT would depend on which seals they are referring to,yes the rest of the ship runs fine on generators hydraulics,but i dont want to paddle all the way home either,just seems very unusual to offer FULL REFUND, before the ship sails,ARE WE GONNA GET STUCK??:eek::rolleyes:

Excellent point, one just tends to focus on cruise fare only, but most of us nowadays who fly choose the non refundable airfares etc, then the hotel or rental car charges etc. Not to mention the time off from work. I know my job I have to bid for annual vacation in January to cover the following year. A lot to consider.

I worked on ships and a shaft seal leak does not affect the operation of the props. Seals leak for a variety of reasons and this was caused by nets. They will have plenty of time to do the maintenance. So yippee for 2 days in PV

This is very helpful information. The ship speeds will be slower until the fix, we may be later than usual leaving Long Beach, but we should be back on time knowing they can do repair and have 2 days to complete it.

Nice to have some mechanics advice. Hard to switch with vacation time and all previously said. If too worried..a stay in California and discovering coastline would not be end of the world..it is great there...

Also a safe well planned overnight in PV would be a ball too..Just watch your drinks at the AI Fiesta!!! Would love to see PV again once...Sarah

I TOO,Have worked on ships,IF THEY HAVE TO REPLACE,a main shaft seal,that requires disconnecting shaft,and pulling shaft to replace seal,is not a nilly willy,job and it takes awhile to do this,stabalize shaft etc etc,and if they dont gget right part etc etc,IT would depend on which seals they are referring to,yes the rest of the ship runs fine on generators hydraulics,but i dont want to paddle all the way home either,just seems very unusual to offer FULL REFUND, before the ship sails,ARE WE GONNA GET STUCK??:eek::rolleyes:

Wouldn't this require a dry dock? or can this be done from inside?

So I've done some research and this is indeed a MAJOR repair and like one other poster mentioned, if any little thing goes wrong or something unexpected pops up, it could turn into several more days and then guess what....? Everyone will have to fly themselves home because there won't be enough food and supplies to last until they get back to LA. And before anyone asks, carnival only buys food and supplies from there home ports.

Then the misery begins for my cruise which is scheduled for 1/13. I'm already preparing myself to get a letter next Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how the repairs go.

Archived