Best Beach in Saint Kitts

alwayscruizin

We have been to both Cockleshell and South Friars Bay. The last time we were in St Kitts in 2011, we grabbed a taxi to South Friars Bay and stayed at Carambola. It is beautiful!!! We relaxed and my husband snorkeled (but he said he didn't see too much). We had met our cruise critic friends that had booked a tour. It took them to the same place. While there, we walked down the beach to Shipwreck Beach. Here we found our other friends. The Shipwreck looked old and less desirable. The umbrellas were made of palm trees and the chairs were old and stained. (We are not fancy people either, we just enjoyed the newer nicer place) We plan to return to Carambola's in Feb.

The first year we did the catamaran over to Nevis. We had a blast because everyone on the boat was fun. The other time we went there, we took a taxi to Cockleshell. We stayed at Reggae Beach Bar. They had a pet pig (wilber) and a goat. Locals brought monkeys around for pictures. Chairs were not that nice here either but we just laid our towels over them. We also walked up the beach to the other end. Here was Lions Rock Bar (which I think is now Spicemill). The waves appeared bigger here and I didn't see anyone snorkeling.

Here is a website to the 5 major beaches in St Kitts with some pictures and a description. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destination/stkittsandnevis/78344/St-Kitts-beaches.html

Here are our pictures of the beaches. The first two are Carambola. You can see one of the beds in the background if you look closely. Third one is Shipwreck down the beach from Carambola. You can see the difference in the sand and the umbrellas. Forth is a view of Cockelshell from above with Reggae and fifth is Lions Rock down the beach. You can see Reggae further down the beach in the background.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more. :)

Have fun and good luck!!!!

Doug and Karen

258231012_CarnivalVictory2012214.jpg.b12a378f14353c9863f05d354f1034f5.jpg

858814427_CarnivalVictory2012226.jpg.3138e1d29c3f54202fa1f2667b86d573.jpg

1098615592_CarnivalVictory2012218.jpg.5c98c03d33e791e2df4b9c6eda23d073.jpg

168300_1817500834803_5770868_n.jpg.4c6914507faa4040be2b25ebde9ec653.jpg

180687_1817497434718_5246851_n.jpg.ddb102ab3df0ecd1e60efa15be283790.jpg

We just returned from St. Kitt's and went to Carambola's. We did not care for it at all. Price for two beach chairs and an umbrella was $30, plus high price drinks. If you walk further down the price of beer gets lower and two chairs with umbrella is $5 (but don't expect much for that). Also the reef is fairly close so you have to be very careful not to step on a sea urchin so you couldn't wade out very deep. The sand is very dark like coal, not white. I would suggest Cockleshell instead.

• 11 months later...
The cabana basically looks like a big 4 poster canopy bed. It has material covering the top and down the sides that you can put up or down. I do have a picture, but I can't figure out how to post it here. If someone could tell me how, i'll be happy to do that.

I'm trying to find a picture of the beds. I'm new here, so not sure I can help too much with posting pic. My email is jmogames@gmail.com Hopefully I don't get in trouble for posting my email; don't know the rules. But, I'd really like to see the beds.

Are there pillows or something to help incline your back; to help with sitting up?

I think I would prefer the privacy of the bed vs the loungers, and I like the shade the shear curtains offer vs the shadow of the umbrella with the loungers. But, the other person going with me is concerned about being able to sit up and read her book.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from St. Kitt's and went to Carambola's. We did not care for it at all. Price for two beach chairs and an umbrella was $30, plus high price drinks. If you walk further down the price of beer gets lower and two chairs with umbrella is $5 (but don't expect much for that). Also the reef is fairly close so you have to be very careful not to step on a sea urchin so you couldn't wade out very deep. The sand is very dark like coal, not white. I would suggest Cockleshell instead.

how much taxi ride cost you ?

how much taxi ride cost you ?

We paid $4 per person for a shared taxi to Carambola last week. The taxi dispatchers will group people going to the same location so you have to wait a few minutes to get a large enough group to fill a van.

We enjoyed our day very much.

I think I would prefer the privacy of the bed vs the loungers, and I like the shade the shear curtains offer vs the shadow of the umbrella with the loungers. But, the other person going with me is concerned about being able to sit up and read her book.

Having just been there last week, I think the loungers are the way to go. They are lined up along the waterline whereas the beds are set back from the water behind the loungers. There might have been a couple pillows but definitely not enough support for reading.

My Wife and I will be on the Pearl at St. Kitts Dec 7. We are doing a taxi to Cockleshell Bay and renting a chair at Lion Rock Beach Bar and Grill. Maybe we will have the taxi driver show us the Shripwreck Beach Bar on South Friar`s on the way back.

We been to St. Kitt`s before and it is not very big. If you don`t like one beach there are always taxis waiting to go to another beach.

I say find a beach, a chair a cold one be knee deep in the water somewhere.

Having just been there last week, I think the loungers are the way to go. They are lined up along the waterline whereas the beds are set back from the water behind the loungers. There might have been a couple pillows but definitely not enough support for reading.

Good advice. Thank u also for the taxi info [emoji4]

Carambola Beach Club - it is only about a year old now - we went when it was brand new and have been twice since - AWESOME!!

Melanie, I see you are from Toronto. I grew up in Windsor. You seem to enjoy your cruising as much as we do. On Jan. 18-25 we are on a Norweigan Sun out of Tampa for an Elvis cruise. The Elvis impersenator is Roy LeBlanc who is from your neck of the woods. Really looking forward to this first experience. See JA on the Royal but first we cruise 4 one week on the Regal Nov. 30th, Yippeee!

Solutionone/Margrit

Solutionone:

My wife and I are for Port Lambton and we have seen Roy LeBlanc several times. My wife and her sister (a diehard Elvis fan) went to see "Blue Suede Shoes" in London recently. He is getting a bit older now but still does a great Elvis.

• 3 weeks later...

We arrived in St. Kitts by ship. At the end of the pier, there was a taxi dispatcher who made sure that people who wanted to go to Cockleshell Beach got a taxi van. The cost was $7 per person each way and the van held 10 people. They'll go with fewer but the price may go up. The ride took about 35 minutes, and the views on the way are worth the price.

The water was clear, the sun was out, there was no wave action - a perfect snorkeling day. And there were fish, lots and lots of very interesting fish. When you get to the beach, you head to the left and snorkel near the rocks. There's coral too, but the fish are the main attraction. On a previous trip here I actually saw 2 eagle rays.

Our van driver waited for the 2 hours we were here. It was a great day.

My Wife and I will be on the Pearl at St. Kitts Dec 7. We are doing a taxi to Cockleshell Bay and renting a chair at Lion Rock Beach Bar and Grill. Maybe we will have the taxi driver show us the Shripwreck Beach Bar on South Friar`s on the way back.

We been to St. Kitt`s before and it is not very big. If you don`t like one beach there are always taxis waiting to go to another beach.

I say find a beach, a chair a cold one be knee deep in the water somewhere.

I'll drink to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you buy a day pass? Or is that just the name of the beach.

You can reserve chairs and umbrella with them thru their facebook page. Great beach, good food. Not cheap thou. Lunch will be $30-$40 for 2 without drinks. I'm going to St Kitts in March and think I'll try the Reggae Bar this time.