Breakaway Commerical.......

camz

Last night, I saw the new NCL Breakaway Commerical in anticipation of the exciting new launch. The commerical started out with the Norwegian theme song. The Breakaway showed up sporting the freshly new Max design passing by the Statute of Liberty. The strange part was the Breakaway was sailing with the NYC on top of her. To stress that the Breakaway ports in NYC, NCL piled the city skyscrapers on top of the ship as she sailed from the harbour. Although a little odd, it was upbeat and fun none-the-less. So fellow CCs be on the lookout for this tv commerical as the excitement builds for Norwegian's newest ship. :cool:

I've seen it each night this week during Jeopardy! I feel this whole "NYC connection" thing is a bit over-played. First, the only connections to NYC that I can see are Geoffrey Zakarian's new specialty restaurant, Rock of Ages musical, and the hull art (that has no influence on the onboard experience). Am I missing something? Second, I live in NYC. I don't go on a cruise to "experience the best of NYC" because I'm already experiencing it - in real life!

I could understand them playing the commercial in other markets outside of NYC, but don't understand why they're emphasizing how much the ship is like NYC to people who LIVE in NYC. Create a different version or something to show all the great things to enjoy onboard, as I know a lot of cruisers will live in NYC. I just feel the positioning for the NYC market is off.

I've seen it each night this week during Jeopardy! I feel this whole "NYC connection" thing is a bit over-played. First, the only connections to NYC that I can see are Geoffrey Zakarian's new specialty restaurant, Rock of Ages musical, and the hull art (that has no influence on the onboard experience). Am I missing something? Second, I live in NYC. I don't go on a cruise to "experience the best of NYC" because I'm already experiencing it - in real life!

I could understand them playing the commercial in other markets outside of NYC, but don't understand why they're emphasizing how much the ship is like NYC to people who LIVE in NYC. Create a different version or something to show all the great things to enjoy onboard, as I know a lot of cruisers will live in NYC. I just feel the positioning for the NYC market is off.

Attila - I see your point. It would be interesting to know if this commerical in nationwide or just in this area. I am from PA and we leave from NYC due to convenience with no expense or stress of flying to the port. I think you are correct in your determination that many of the passengers are from this area. Therefore, pumping up the NYC theme would not be very advantageous.

We are booked on the Breakaway for July 2013, and we're taking my mother. She isn't computer savvy at all and when she saw the commercial she said, "Is that what it looks like? With all that stuff on top it will tip over." :D

We are booked on the Breakaway for July 2013, and we're taking my mother. She isn't computer savvy at all and when she saw the commercial she said, "Is that what it looks like? With all that stuff on top it will tip over." :D

Haha, I wondered if some people would be confused by that graphic too! I get that they are trying to imply it has the best of NYC onboard, but to not show the actual ship at any point is a bit bizarre.

hahaha just saw the commercial last nite and my DH who has been on many cruises asked the same question about the top of the ship looking like that lol :eek:

Guest LoveMyBoxer

As someone who works in NYC, when I saw the commercial all I could say was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Last thing I want when I go on a cruise is to take NYC with me!!! LOL. I cruise to get AWAY from NYC!!!! :D

The commercial surprised me when I first saw it. The Norwegian theme music got my attention. It has been on all this week between Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Sometime in that time slot. I have notice a lot of cruise commercials lately. Specifically, RCC and CCL.

You forgot the three hot dog carts and the Rockettes. I think there are a few other things, too. I'm guessing the logic of emphasizing the NYC aspect applies to folks close enough to drive to NY, not folks who live there. (The same folks who might visit NYC for a weekend.) So, if you are specifically planning on visiting NY as a beginning or end to your cruise, you have the added benefit of taking NYC with you on your cruise, too. Makes perfect sense to me. :cool:

Not sure what that commercial is selling. It doesn't say much about the ship or its destinations. And if it wants to sell the homeport, there are so many better ways....

I like it!

I think you all may be missing the point.

First..the commercial is playing in 3 markets...Boston, NYC and Philly....Second..it's purpose is to emphasize a homeport...NYC that requires no airfare for these ancillary markets. And Third...NYC is quickly surpassing Miami as a favorite port... so NCL wants to take advantage of that.

There are over 35 million possible passengers in the 1-6 hour window of getting to the port of Manhattan.

The setting of the city on top of the ship I will admit is a little over the top..LOL... but it is a marketing tool.

NCL has put all of their apples in this new ship...which is homeported in NYC...

Also NCL has the most agressive advertising campaign for cruising in the world. Over 1 Billion dollars per year is geared toward on-line and internet advertising..Think people,...have you not seen these ads every time you internet anything.

Their ultimate goal is to directly challenge the BIG ONE Royal Caribbean...They have actually left Princess and Carnival in the dust with their bold new moves.

They have actually had serious discussions of building an Oasis /Allure but they ended up in the decision to build a Breakaway Plus ...which will be smaller but as exciting as the aforementioned RCI ships.

Their new ship Breakaway has so many unique cruise features that it is hard to surpass, by any line from Carnival to RCI.

New York Features described so far are multiple.

Sabra Hot Dogs

Jeffrey Zakarian

Rock of Ages and all shows

Slam Allen

NYC inspired Ice bar

Fireworks

Rockettes

and many more I forget to list

This is NCL's bold and ambitious move to corner the market, the very lucrative NYC/Nortrheast market....They are very soon entering into their public IPO and with Kevin Sheehan's brilliant leadesrship and their bold moves I would not hesitate to buy into this progressive company.

Beware RCI...theres a new kid in town...In the worlds biggest town..New York, New York..and I am from Boston, who also has reaped the foresight of NCL market grabbing.

Just MHO

We saw it the other night and got so excited for our upcoming Breakaway cruise.

My son said "huh" when he saw the top of the ship too. When I explained to him that it was not really that way he said "obviously". He's a snot.

LOL no ROMFLOL..Your son is not a snot...but he is witty, and at his age he could be seen as a snot...but god love him..he is witty.

I think you all may be missing the point.

First..the commercial is playing in 3 markets...Boston, NYC and Philly....Second..it's purpose is to emphasize a homeport...NYC that requires no airfare for these ancillary markets. And Third...NYC is quickly surpassing Miami as a favorite port... so NCL wants to take advantage of that.

There are over 35 million possible passengers in the 1-6 hour window of getting to the port of Manhattan.

The setting of the city on top of the ship I will admit is a little over the top..LOL... but it is a marketing tool.

NCL has put all of their apples in this new ship...which is homeported in NYC...

Also NCL has the most agressive advertising campaign for cruising in the world. Over 1 Billion dollars per year is geared toward on-line and internet advertising..Think people,...have you not seen these ads every time you internet anything.

Their ultimate goal is to directly challenge the BIG ONE Royal Caribbean...They have actually left Princess and Carnival in the dust with their bold new moves.

They have actually had serious discussions of building an Oasis /Allure but they ended up in the decision to build a Breakaway Plus ...which will be smaller but as exciting as the aforementioned RCI ships.

Their new ship Breakaway has so many unique cruise features that it is hard to surpass, by any line from Carnival to RCI.

New York Features described so far are multiple.

Sabra Hot Dogs

Jeffrey Zakarian

Rock of Ages and all shows

Slam Allen

NYC inspired Ice bar

Fireworks

Rockettes

and many more I forget to list

This is NCL's bold and ambitious move to corner the market, the very lucrative NYC/Nortrheast market....They are very soon entering into their public IPO and with Kevin Sheehan's brilliant leadesrship and their bold moves I would not hesitate to buy into this progressive company.

Beware RCI...theres a new kid in town...In the worlds biggest town..New York, New York..and I am from Boston, who also has reaped the foresight of NCL market grabbing.

Just MHO

Whoa! We have an NCL super-fan! Kevin Sheehan, is that you? :p

I disagree that Slam Allen or Fireworks are associated with NYC (and don't get me started on a Jersey reality star bakery...) but you're entitled to your enthusiastic opinion.

While I think that not all the additions listed are directly linked with NY, I do have to admit that NCL is really thinking about how much they can do really advertise this ship. Fireworks, NJ named bakery (like it or not), NY ice bar, spa first ever salt room, Jeffrey Zakarian seafood restaurant, ect. Also remember the boardwalk is an entire new thing for any cruise ship (not accounting Oasis/Allure enclosed one), we will see how that plays out. I can honestly say that was one of the selling points for me in this ship, when we cruise we like to know we are in a ship and that entire wrap around deck should be a great place to get that feeling.

As far as the comercial goes... I like the music, I am not sure how I feel about all the buildings on top, not my kind of thing.

I am also wondering what they will add of south florida to link Getaway, that will be an interesting process to follow.

Archived