Setting up a cash account for onboard.. Royal rep was no help

colesc15

I called Royal and the guy wasn't very helpful so I thought I'd come here and try and get clarity.. If I choose the cash option for my onboard spending account, when I go to the ship that day, do I HAVE to give money that day to put onto my account, or will they allow me to charge things to my account and pretty much go into the "negative" amount on my account. If I put zero on the account and buy a drink, my balance essentially would be -$6 or whatever. Is that allowed? Or do I HAVE to put say 100 bucks on my account and once that 100 is gone, I can't use my account again until I put more on it?

I think he also said if I wanted at the end of the cruise, or throughout the cruise, I could pay my "balance" with something like a debit card if I wanted, is that accurate? By him saying that it made it sound like I could go into the negative amount on my account.

Basically, I want to have a "cash only" account set up, not put any money on it, and be able to charge things from day 1, and then my OBC kick in on day 2. Is that allowed or will I have to put some money on my account before I can buy anything?

Thank you everyone!:)

I think from reading those links that you will have to put some cash onto your account account before you will be allowed to charge anything. Makes sense to me that if you're not putting up a credit card to guarantee your charges that you're going to have to put some cash on the account as soon as you get on board.

Much easier to just put up the credit card when you get to the port and are checking in. No waiting in lines on your first day to put cash on the account. When your OBC kicks in it will cover charges you have made. And you can go and pay down your account anytime you want to do so if you don't want the charges to go to your credit card.

On the Monarch a few weeks ago my Mom's account was set up as cash...she could not use her card to buy the soda package until she either put cash down or her OBC kicked in...other's have reported they did not have to put cash down..but this was "our" experience...

Basically, I want to have a "cash only" account set up, not put any money on it, and be able to charge things from day 1, and then my OBC kick in on day 2. Is that allowed or will I have to put some money on my account before I can buy anything?

You want to run a tab. Not going to happen.

RCL does not allow you to charge anything without cash in their bank or a credit card on file.

Put a credit card on file and pay off your bill the last night so that there will be no charge on it

RCL does not allow you to charge anything without cash in their bank or a credit card on file.

Put a credit card on file and pay off your bill the last night so that there will be no charge on it

I just wanted to avoid using a credit card because I had a lot of pending transactions that took a few weeks to fall off last year when I went.. I think I'll probably just go to the desk and put maybe like $100 on our account to get us through day 1 and then all the OBC will kick in day 2.. I think.

Anyone else with cash account experiences?

As I understand it Royal Caribbean (and their sister company Celebrity Cruises) both allow those who have chosen a CASH account the ability to use their onboard seapass without having to put any money down, at all, upfront. I think the amounts are up to $300 for a cruise up to 6-nights, and for cruises that are 7-nights or longer up to $500. That amount is per cabin, not per person. Once you get close to that cabin allowance, or go over it, they will freeze your account and ask you to put money some down to cover expenses.

I was on Allure of the Seas last month and put NO MONEY DOWN upfront at all on embarkation day.

Just to be perfectly clear I did pre-purchase $200 OBC though Gifts and Gear and had $175 OBC from my travel agent, but these do not show up in the system at the embarkation check-in desk, nor at the Guest Relations deck until the day after the ship leaves from port. So they had no idea I had this OBC and never asked me for ANY cash. Worked the exact same way on my last three cruises with Celebrity. I do not own a credit card and never allow them access to my debit card.

Here are screenshots of my onboard account showing me buying stuff, and then the OBC showing up the next day.

Embarkation Day was Dec. 2, 2012

8338433038_6fcd4d7a21_z.jpg

8337375731_2282b4d59c_z.jpg

P.S. Make sure you take a print out of any OBC that you pre-purchased. The cruise lines (or your TA) can send you a special pdf file attachment in an email that will show this.

Definately! Royal doesn't provide that info from their website. You have to ask for it, and a printout is the only way to go...

I just wanted to avoid using a credit card because I had a lot of pending transactions that took a few weeks to fall off last year when I went.. I think I'll probably just go to the desk and put maybe like $100 on our account to get us through day 1 and then all the OBC will kick in day 2.. I think.

Anyone else with cash account experiences?

Maybe you used a debit card? I've been on many cruises and have always used a credit card and have never had any pending charges.

As I understand it Royal Caribbean (and their sister company Celebrity Cruises) both allow those who have chosen a CASH account the ability to use their onboard seapass without having to put any money down, at all, upfront. I think the amounts are up to $300 for a cruise up to 6-nights, and for cruises that are 7-nights or longer up to $500. That amount is per cabin, not per person. Once you get close to that cabin allowance, or go over it, they will freeze your account and ask you to put money some down to cover expenses. ...

This has been our experience also, on 3 different ships.

I have learned something off of this thread. I was under the assumption (there is that word again), that, like a hotel, a cruise ship wanted something to draw from, whether it be a debit card, credit card, or cash in hand.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Rick

As I understand it Royal Caribbean (and their sister company Celebrity Cruises) both allow those who have chosen a CASH account the ability to use their onboard seapass without having to put any money down, at all, upfront. I think the amounts are up to $300 for a cruise up to 6-nights, and for cruises that are 7-nights or longer up to $500. That amount is per cabin, not per person. Once you get close to that cabin allowance, or go over it, they will freeze your account and ask you to put money some down to cover expenses.

I was on Allure of the Seas last month and put NO MONEY DOWN upfront at all on embarkation day.

Just to be perfectly clear I did pre-purchase $200 OBC though Gifts and Gear and had $175 OBC from my travel agent, but these do not show up in the system at the embarkation check-in desk, nor at the Guest Relations deck until the day after the ship leaves from port. So they had no idea I had this OBC and never asked me for ANY cash. Worked the exact same way on my last three cruises with Celebrity. I do not own a credit card and never allow them access to my debit card.

Here are screenshots of my onboard account showing me buying stuff, and then the OBC showing up the next day.

Embarkation Day was Dec. 2, 2012

8338433038_6fcd4d7a21_z.jpg

8337375731_2282b4d59c_z.jpg

Thank you a ton! I knew I'd get more help here than the rep was

For those who have experience in a cash account, will you tell us what ships and approximate date? Did they let you charge without putting any down?

No upfront money needed: Liberty Nov 2012, Allure Sep 2011, Voyager March 2010, Mariner May 2009.

My cousin who sailed with me in October on the Allure did a cash account. The representative at check in said that on Allure and Oasis they do not accept cash at check in. She paid her balance the last night of the cruise. She was never asked anything about paying during the entire cruise. Don't know if it is the same on all of RCCL ships.

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question about the onboard charge account thing. I'm going on Freedom of the Seas with my girlfriend in May, and I was wondering they can separate our charge accounts? Like I put my credit card against my account and my girlfriend puts her credit card against hers. That way I would be able to keep track of all my bar bills and she can keep track of all the shopping she is doing. LOL. :D

I dont mean to hijack this thread but I have a question about the onboard charge account thing. I'm going on Freedom of the Seas with my girlfriend in May, and I was wondering they can separate our charge accounts? Like I put my credit card against my account and my girlfriend puts her credit card against hers. That way I would be able to keep track of all my bar bills and she can keep track of all the shopping she is doing. LOL. :D

Sure, you set this up in your online check-in. You can enter the info into your online check-in now if you like. You won't be able to print the SetSail (boarding) pass until final payment, but you can have it ready to go. There are boxes you check during the online check-in that specify if you are paying for both, or just yourself. You will need your girlfriend's credit card info, or she can do her own online check-in.

Sure, you set this up in your online check-in. You can enter the info into your online check-in now if you like. You won't be able to print the SetSail (boarding) pass until final payment, but you can have it ready to go. There are boxes you check during the online check-in that specify if you are paying for both, or just yourself. You will need your girlfriend's credit card info, or she can do her own online check-in.

Thank you! Thats exactly the info I was looking for. This is my first cruise, but you Cruise Critic people are awesome.

For those who have experience in a cash account, will you tell us what ships and approximate date? Did they let you charge without putting any down?

Pre-purchased On Board Credits but no cash upfront to Guest Relations:

Most recently...

Dec. 2010 Celebrity Mercury (9-nights out of Baltimore)

Dec. 2011 Celebrity Millennium back-to-back (Western Caribbean out of Miami; did it for both segments)

Dec. 2012 Allure of the Seas (7-night Western Caribbean from FLL)

Dec. 2012 Ruby Princess (7-night Eastern Caribbean from FLL)

I called Royal and the guy wasn't very helpful so I thought I'd come here and try and get clarity.. If I choose the cash option for my onboard spending account, when I go to the ship that day, do I HAVE to give money that day to put onto my account, or will they allow me to charge things to my account and pretty much go into the "negative" amount on my account. If I put zero on the account and buy a drink, my balance essentially would be -$6 or whatever. Is that allowed? Or do I HAVE to put say 100 bucks on my account and once that 100 is gone, I can't use my account again until I put more on it?

I think he also said if I wanted at the end of the cruise, or throughout the cruise, I could pay my "balance" with something like a debit card if I wanted, is that accurate? By him saying that it made it sound like I could go into the negative amount on my account.

What you have described is exactly what we do for everyone of our cruises as we receive OBC for them all.

Set acount to cash, make purchases as we want , OBC kicks in generally by day two, if we need to pay anything off we go to guest services before the end of the last evening and pay either by cash or credit card, simple :)

Archived