Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

You need to remember that a modern ship like the Royal has twice as much life boat capacity than souls on board. The vast majority of this capacity is in inflatable boats. In a real emergency these boats can be very quickly deployed and boarded and most of us would end up in one of them.

I would personally love to be part of an evacuation drill using one of these and the emergency slides (think enclosed airline chutes.)

Here's the part of the thread where the Marine Evacuation System on Royal Princess was pointed out...

May 5, 2013

Got an email from a friend (Thanks Ernie! :D) who explains that the aft area on Royal Princess' hull that we have been curious about lately just may be part of the ships Marine Evacuation System (MES).

Cables and tracks on the hull are used to deploy the system in a sturdy and stable manner. The larger track on the RP hull may indicate she is using a different or more updated version.

The MES is typically used for crew evacuation as the passengers use the lifeboats and tenders. This linked video he referenced produced by MSC Cruises shows just how the system works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hujElVB5MKo

8709470270_fa0aaed435_c.jpg

Dave,

This might have been addressed before, but my question is, With increased capacity on the Royal, why are there fewer orange life boats than on the Grand Class ships? Is it the simple answer, that the new life boats have a larger capacity?:confused:

More information on the tenders on Royal Princess

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37070085&postcount=537

A BIG THANK YOU to Dave for continuing the great information on this thread, I am finding it all very helpful for updating my plans.

Royal docking at the 1st available dock in Piraeus is understandable but means it is a heck of a walk to the Metro station, I'm there on Thurs 1st Aug. but should have 3 others ships docked with us, Carnival Sunshine, Costa Magica, MSC Fantasia, so we might dock at a different place.

In 2010 we were on Crown Princess & were fascinated with the manoeuvrability of the ship as we were docked at terminal A, nearest the city & it was like a mathematical puzzle to get out so I can quite understand why Royal is staying as far out as possible.

The easier docking and quick escape of the berth she was at in Piraeus may have a lot to do with it. Remember that Royal Princess is roughly 130' longer than the Grand-class, and of the ships you mentioned she is 190-194' longer than Carnival Sunshine and Costa Magica but 10' shorter than the MSC Fantasia. They'll want to dock the longer ships where they'll stick out into the harbor the least.

And it was interesting watching on the video Royal Princess backing into Piraeus from outside the harbor in past the breakwater then pivoting around into berth. I can't imagine how they would maneuver if she had to dock all the way in at Terminal A.

One Hundred Photos from June 16, 20133 including Sail Away......if you were on the Lido, you might be in one of these shots!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos Randy, can you share any thoughts on the cruise and the ship with us? I'm sure we'd all love to hear your opinions.:)

Can't wait to curl up with my morning coffee and catch up on updates every morning. We are on the Maiden voyage out of Venice October 9. Excitement is building! Ditto to all the thank yous to Dave. Love this thread. We are booked in M616 which is below the overhang. Will we get any sun on our balcony? I've kept an eye on postings and photos and wondering if we might want to see about changing rooms. Have a similar room next spring on the Royal as well. Thanks for any input on this area.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

if anyone would like my fold up map of the Royal Princess please feel free to PM me your address and i'll gladly put it in the mail for you :)

Britichick

Did you enjoy your 2 night sampler? And will you be going on another cruise?

I know you were a bit worried......

Britichick

Did you enjoy your 2 night sampler? And will you be going on another cruise?

I know you were a bit worried......

Yes thank you, we were a little disappointed that we didn't land but that gave us more of a chance to explore the ship. I loved our cabin B301- regular balcony (BB) it was a great location. My favourite bit was sitting in the atrium after dinner just relaxing in the comfortable seats listening to the entertainment.

I'm not sure i am a natural cruiser though, felt a little out of sorts after lunch on our sea day, not sick but just a bit weird and had a bit of a lie down in the cabin watching a movie and then I was fine. I felt a little dizzy and wobbly for a few days after getting off.

We are going to try again though, either Norway or around the UK to start with, looking at several options for next year. I think I've been spoilt though with the Royal being brand new!

Sorry, I meant Seawalk!

A picture of the interior of the front suites would be great, RandDo. But, more importantly, enjoy yourself.

Thanks, Paul

If you have seen a photo of the forward suites please attach it or give a site.

BY the way the new cruise critic review of the Royal discusses the difference between the various categories of Suites (S5, S2, etc.). Go to the page "cabins".

Yes thank you, we were a little disappointed that we didn't land but that gave us more of a chance to explore the ship. I loved our cabin B301- regular balcony (BB) it was a great location. My favourite bit was sitting in the atrium after dinner just relaxing in the comfortable seats listening to the entertainment.

I'm not sure i am a natural cruiser though, felt a little out of sorts after lunch on our sea day, not sick but just a bit weird and had a bit of a lie down in the cabin watching a movie and then I was fine. I felt a little dizzy and wobbly for a few days after getting off.

We are going to try again though, either Norway or around the UK to start with, looking at several options for next year. I think I've been spoilt though with the Royal being brand new!

I think there are times when even experienced cruisers get a "funny feeling" while onboard. Usually attributed to the combination of things you've recently eaten! My 3+ scoops of Raspberry Ice Cream, AND another Raspberry-based dessert did me in on my last cruise. But as you say, a few hours in bed seemed to clear up the problem! :) Not to worry!

Today Royal Princess makes its inaugural call on the lagoon city of Venice, Italy. This is the final port on her maiden Grand Mediterranean voyage. Passengers will overnight aboard ship before disembarking tomorrow.

Marine Traffic grabs of her approach....

9208581330_bec06f3b37_b.jpg

9208581352_cdfe2ca7e6_b.jpg

and final docking place...

9208581378_7a2d361a50_b.jpg

How far is the walk to the People Mover from where the ship docks?

Hi Wateron!

In found this on a Venice info site:

"Passengers just follow the sidewalk from the terminal parking lot to the tram stop; it’s about a five-minute walk, but flat and paved. Tickets are vended from the machine on ground level (they’re €1 each, machines take euro coins or cash). There’s an escalator or elevator provided to reach the tram platform, where every eight minutes (time to arrival is displayed on an overhead LED) a quiet, climate-controlled tram will arrive to ease passengers either to Tronchetto or (more likely) Piazzale Roma. There they can pick up VeniceConnected passes, purchase vaporetto tickets, hire a taxi, or walk to the city center."

My DW had her first Bellini last night during our dinner boat cruise to watch fireworks on Lake Erie. (We were practicing for our next cruise :D)

The Bellini has taken over as her new favorite drink, even over Mamosas! And to think it all started when she read about them on this thread and heard of the Royal's dedicated bar.

She asked me to check, 'Do they have a Bellini card available on the Royal?' :rolleyes:

Joel

I wanted to catch the Royal Princess sail away on her web cam since it was 'frozen' still showing her sea day on the way into port. Is her departure time from Venice actually 8am local?

Good morning Dave, it is now 6:40 AM EDT. I am looking at the website for the Royal on the Princess website. It is still showing her to be docked in Venice. Time there should be around 12:40 PM Venice time. Maybe you can still catch the sail away. Not sure what time she will be sailing. Itinerary says 8 AM but I don't think it is. Maybe more like 5 PM their time. Have a great day.

My DW had her first Bellini last night during our dinner boat cruise to watch fireworks on Lake Erie. (We were practicing for our next cruise :D)

The Bellini has taken over as her new favorite drink, even over Mamosas! And to think it all started when she read about them on this thread and heard of the Royal's dedicated bar.

She asked me to check, 'Do they have a Bellini card available on the Royal?' :rolleyes:

Joel

Unfortunately not, otherwise I would have availed mysef of several.

The Royal Bellini is $15 plus the tip, the others start at $7.50.

Within the group I was with (ok, 4 of us), we worked our way through the whole menu in one day (not one sitting!!) and counted at the end we had consumed 38 of them between us. ALL of them were great :)

Archived