Crown fogged in at Galveston this morning

JasmineB

Glad to hear all went well. We have been talking about your delay as we have never know it to happen here in the UK.. dispite us having fog in Southampton the ships manage to arrive and leave ok.. if anything it would be a storm that prevents it happening.

We are on Crown in May so fascinated to read all about it.

Glad to hear all went well. We have been talking about your delay as we have never know it to happen here in the UK.. dispite us having fog in Southampton the ships manage to arrive and leave ok.. if anything it would be a storm that prevents it happening.

We are on Crown in May so fascinated to read all about it.

If I remember correctly, the docks in Southampton are on the ocean.

The docks in Galvestion are in a narrow channel with tight clearance for turning a ship around. If foggy, impossible to do the turning safely.

Wow..had no idea the weather was that bad going out of Galvaston...we r doing the TA in April...is that still the cloudy, bad weather season for Texas??

Glad to see you are sailing now...enjoy and try to relax and forget the boarding hassles....:p

Right now the jet stream has dipped down into Mexico, causing all sorts of strange weather here in Texas as it comes north again midway between Houston and Central Texas. You should be just fine in April.

We were originally scheduled to disembark at 9:40 am and actually stepped off the ship at 5:00 PM, taking another hour to clear customs. They were able to treat us right, with entertainment and even dance classes in the Platinum/Elite lounge. Food was available after about 11:30, and one dining room was open for lunch.

Hi DrivesLikeMario, We are on the Crown 2/16 and are putting together a M&G for sailaway. Did they do the muster drill just before sailaway?
Yes they do. Sailaway can be cold on deck, so I suggest having an alternate location defined as well. It rained on us 1/5.

Right now the jet stream has dipped down into Mexico, causing all sorts of strange weather here in Texas as it comes north again midway between Houston and Central Texas. You should be just fine in April.

We were originally scheduled to disembark at 9:40 am and actually stepped off the ship at 5:00 PM, taking another hour to clear customs. They were able to treat us right, with entertainment and even dance classes in the Platinum/Elite lounge. Food was available after about 11:30, and one dining room was open for lunch.

I have a not really off-topic question which is very pertinent to this discussion. My wife and I were on the 5-12 Jan Crown sailing, and like thousands of people on the Crown, and the Disney Magic, our travel arrangements were disrupted due to the fog; we arrived home about 20 hours later and about $400 poorer. Fortunately, our non-Princess travel insurance will cover pretty much everything, with one obvious condition. We will need, from Princess, a statement confirming the delay, the reason and the timing. No statement of liability of course, just the facts.

During the long Saturday wait, I had time to go down to Pax Services and ask about the letter. Unfortunately, the girl I spoke to gave me the deer in the headlights look as if she had no idea what I was talking about and had to go in back to ask. A few minutes later she told me that Princess WOULD be sending an explanatory letter.

Can anyone with specific experience in such a situation tell me whether they do, in fact, automatically send such a letter, whether I have to chase them, and how long it will take? I'd like to have some real-world background on this before I call the Mother Ship in California to start inquiring about the letter.

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

Can anyone with specific experience in such a situation tell me whether they do, in fact, automatically send such a letter, whether I have to chase them, and how long it will take? I'd like to have some real-world background on this before I call the Mother Ship in California to start inquiring about the letter.

Call the Mother Ship.

I would not expect Princess to automatically send out this type of letter.

I have a not really off-topic question which is very pertinent to this discussion. My wife and I were on the 5-12 Jan Crown sailing, and like thousands of people on the Crown, and the Disney Magic, our travel arrangements were disrupted due to the fog; we arrived home about 20 hours later and about $400 poorer. Fortunately, our non-Princess travel insurance will cover pretty much everything, with one obvious condition. We will need, from Princess, a statement confirming the delay, the reason and the timing. No statement of liability of course, just the facts.

During the long Saturday wait, I had time to go down to Pax Services and ask about the letter. Unfortunately, the girl I spoke to gave me the deer in the headlights look as if she had no idea what I was talking about and had to go in back to ask. A few minutes later she told me that Princess WOULD be sending an explanatory letter.

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

I was on the same sailing as you. I contacted Princess Customer Service and they sent me the letter via email within two hours of my request.

I was on the same sailing as you. I contacted Princess Customer Service and they sent me the letter via email within two hours of my request.

I also received the letter from CS, though it came six days after the request, which is still pretty reasonable. It simply confirms that due to fog, they started to disembark at 3PM. No mention of the date (Jan 12) or the originally scheduled arrival time (~7AM), but I hope the Insurance Company will accept it.

Archived