Selecting a travel agent

Orator

The TA that we use consistently isn't open on weekends and there is a time-differential as well (we're on opposite US coasts). If I find a new booking, I can put the reservation on a courtesy hold for 24-hours (this can be extended to 36 hours through a telephone call to Captain's Club, as I recently found out) and contact the agency as soon as it opens. If I should find a price drop when I can't reach the agency, I've been told that I can take a screen shot showing the price drop and they can get it for me when they open. I haven't had to try this yet, so YMMV.

Betsy

Our TA is also in another state. We put a courtesy hold on a particular cabin. We have found that our TA will book a "group" on a particular cruise, and are able to obtain great cabins (they usually know what their client's preferences are). And they have been very generous with their own OBC as well. We did book a European cruise and were able to use the l,2,3 promotion.

In today's digital age and with the info we learn about cruising here on Cruise Critic and other sites, I disagree with the OPs criteria for choosing a travel agent. It is so easy to research travel on the Internet and find a wealth of information about potential future vacations I'm not sure TAs today play as important a roll in vacation planning as they have in the past. Having said all that I appreciate that some people are more comfortable working with a TA and that is great.

We cruise a lot and do use an online travel agency and have for a number of years. However when we call to book, our plans are finalized and we are reaping the benefits from using this TA. Please note we have always been pleased with her response time if we need to make any changes to our trip.

I believe that the criteria apply equally to brick and morter TAs and online TAs. Financial stability is extremely important since there have been cases in the not to distance past where passengers have been burned. I agree that the internet has had a major impact on the travel industry. The consumer now has more options and the ability to investigate and compare. I have been using online TAs for a number of years and they have generally worked well for me.

We've used the same online TA for many years. We get an OBC from her on top of whatever we get from Celebrity, either through an on board booking or a Celebrity promotion. Since we watch the price very carefully, we let her know if there is a sale or promotion that will lower our cost, and she takes care of getting it for us - at no additional cost for her time. Even though her agency is not open on Sundays, we have never had a problem taking advantage of sales.

I wish to echo these sentiments and include other elements of the travel aspect...

Anyone can book a cruise. You can do it online. But if you're going to work with a TA who will earn a commission make sure they also work FOR you...

I was royally bummed when a TA I used was not able to provide any information about the ports. I would think a well-traveled TA would know what to see for first-timers, places off the beaten path, and local tour companies to recommend. My TA said "just book with the cruise ship."

Another important factor- inquire if the agency you choose charges additional fees for cancellations or changes to bookings. I stopped using a particular online agency due to their instance of charging $50 per cabin for changing sail dates. Needless to say, they lost my future business, and that of my friends/family. The agent I use now has none of those type of fees, and is a pleasure to work with.

Tony

My husband is our travel planner; I think it's a calling. He's not made a bad decision yet regarding excursions, accommodations, etc.

We use the airline. (I hope that's not too specific.) We get 24/7 international customer service and oodles of bonus miles that allow us to get to Europe for our cruises. Last year, we were surprised by a very plump OBC that we discovered only after boarding. When we had a flight change, due to the nor'easter that followed Sandy, they re-routed our return flights quickly, refunded what we'd paid for upgraded seats, and gave us even better seats.

I guess it's a good thing we have choices that suit each of us.

I believe that the criteria apply equally to brick and morter TAs and online TAs. Financial stability is extremely important since there have been cases in the not to distance past where passengers have been burned. I agree that the internet has had a major impact on the travel industry. The consumer now has more options and the ability to investigate and compare. I have been using online TAs for a number of years and they have generally worked well for me.

Totally agree about the financial side and would add that whatever TA one works with, make sure you are paying the cruiseline directly not the TA who eventually pays the cruiseline. I recall the situation you mentioned above and I think the issue was the TA was holding on to some cruise fare payments when the company went belly up.

2 questions

- I've just booked with an online TA. The deposit charge appears in my credit card statement as "CELEBRITY CRUISES 80". Is this a charge directly from Celebrity cruise?

- I've booked since Monday 01/08, and got reservation number. When I check on My Celebrity, the cruise appears, but the reservation status says: On Hold Expires in 24 hours since yesterday. Is it normal? Should I wait until next week before to contact my TA? I don't want to loose 123Go promotion in case TA did something wrong.

Thanks

This is a link from the Cruise Critic site that lists several TAs that are somehow affiliated with the site:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

A note about this...Cruise Critic has no affiliation with any of these travel agents. These travel agents advertise on the site. That's as far as our affiliation goes. We don't make any endorsements of them.

While on a cruise, I always book my next cruise. Therefore I get the OBC, reduced deposit, and the upgrade cabin. Then when i come home I offer it up to the bidding website where travel agents bid for your booking. I have always been extremely happy with the end result because I get to keep everything that Celebrity has given me and then find an online TA that will give me more to transfer my booking to them. Let's face it, it's easy commission for them since I have done all the work and done the booking. All they had to do was transfer the booking to themselves. Knock on wood - it has always worked great!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

We've used the online ta's that compete for your business in past, but I consider those to be limited assistance ta's. I don't think they can be expected to give much service for their lower rates (in the form of obc's).

I tried to use them this week again, but after checking with celebrity directly found out that a "balcony guarantee x fare" did qualify for the free booze package. online ta said it didn't qualify. So I booked directly with celebrity.

I've talked to TAs,including some at Celebrity,who never experienced a cruise on the line I'm planning to book. I don't believe that they're just not in a position to give reasonable advice.

Here are a few starters:

1. Do they have first hand experience? Have they cruised on the line recently?Have they been on the specific ship or class of ship?

I just wanted to pull this little bit apart a bit.

If the TA is an experienced cruiser - they should still be able to analyze deck plans to determine if a cabin is in a bad area (is it below the gym? under the pool deck, over the theatre, etc?). Yes, it's not the same as them having sailed on the brand - I wont dispute that fact - however I do dispute that the agent can't give decent advice on a ship they've not sailed - because being able to analyze the plan - as well as having the ability to read cruise critic, should help them become decently informed.

Just think about how much many of us have learned from all the posts we've read on here.

My son and I had gotten stranded at CLT airport on our way to Rome for a Mediterranean cruise. The plane had broken down and we couldn't make our connecting flight. I had foolishly not left myself an extra day to allow for such an emergency. The ticket lady at the airport was absolutely no help and I thought we were going to miss our cruise. In a panic I called my TA who performed a miracle on her own time. She got us on a Luftansa flight that was full and advised us how to catch a connecting flight in Munich. We made it to the cruise with less than an hour to spare.

...is service "above and beyond" and definitely worth paying for! NICE! :)

Archived