Selecting a travel agent

Orator

This thread has been triggered by comments I've read on recent threads. I am constantly reading comments where an TA simply isn't providing correct information to clients. In a recent thread one poster indicated that children were not allowed to dine in Blu.Clearly incorrect information. I've talked to TAs,including some at Celebrity,who never experienced a cruise on the line I'm planning to book. I don't believe that they're just not in a position to give reasonable advice. To select a TAjust because they are a friend or family member can be a mistake. I believe that it would be helpful to generate some guidelines for those who wish to select an Agent. Naturally, no names of agents or agencies.

Here are a few starters:

1. Do they have first hand experience? Have they cruised on the line recently?Have they been on the specific ship or class of ship?

2. Are they readily available to answer questions or concerns?

3. Do they have a special relationship with the cruiseline?

4. Are they in a healthy financial position? (Might be difficult to discover, but possible).

5. Have past customers expressed satisfaction with their service?

I wish to echo these sentiments and include other elements of the travel aspect...

Anyone can book a cruise. You can do it online. But if you're going to work with a TA who will earn a commission make sure they also work FOR you...

I was royally bummed when a TA I used was not able to provide any information about the ports. I would think a well-traveled TA would know what to see for first-timers, places off the beaten path, and local tour companies to recommend. My TA said "just book with the cruise ship."

We've used one on this list for our last six cruises and couldn't be happier. We just booked a B2B, on the Allure of the Seas with them. We are flexible so we were able to do sailings where they have a block of rooms so they can sell them cheaper than the cruise line sells them for on their website. For a balcony, we paid around $200 p.p. less, $225 obc, dinner for 2 in a speciality resteraunt, and pre paid gratuities. We have had similar results with the other cruises.

This thread has been triggered by comments I've read on recent threads. I am constantly reading comments where an TA simply isn't providing correct information to clients. In a recent thread one poster indicated that children were not allowed to dine in Blu.Clearly incorrect information. I've talked to TAs,including some at Celebrity,who never experienced a cruise on the line I'm planning to book. I don't believe that they're just not in a position to give reasonable advice. To select a TAjust because they are a friend or family member can be a mistake. I believe that it would be helpful to generate some guidelines for those who wish to select an Agent. Naturally, no names of agents or agencies.

Here are a few starters:

1. Do they have first hand experience? Have they cruised on the line recently?Have they been on the specific ship or class of ship?

4. Are they in a healthy financial position? (Might be difficult to discover, but possible).

All good criteria -- in the best of all possible worlds agent should share your tastes too -- otherwise they wind up applying the Martian sociologist method of advising you (like well-intentioned but clueless shipboard waitstaff from the third-world countryside--observing carefully but unable to put themselves in your position to understand what you want)

We've used one on this list for our last six cruises and couldn't be happier. We just booked a B2B, on the Allure of the Seas with them. We are flexible so we were able to do sailings where they have a block of rooms so they can sell them cheaper than the cruise line sells them for on their website. For a balcony, we paid around $200 p.p. less, $225 obc, dinner for 2 in a speciality resteraunt, and pre paid gratuities. We have had similar results with the other cruises.

I hesitated for years about using an online TA and either booked direct or with a local TA who never gave me anything more than a free bottle of wine.

Finally after hearing so many reports here on Cruise Critic about people having all sorts of goodies including cabin credits and free gratuities I took a deep breath, counted to three and used one of the Cruise Critic TA's :cool:

I have never looked back.:D

I always get really great bonuses for booking with my online TA

I hesitated for years about using an online TA and either booked direct or with a local TA who never gave me anything more than a free bottle of wine.

Finally after hearing so many reports here on Cruise Critic about people having all sorts of goodies including cabin credits and free gratuities I took a deep breath, counted to three and used one of the Cruise Critic TA's :cool:

This is a link from the Cruise Critic site that lists several TAs that are somehow affiliated with the site:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/shipshop/

Do you book in US funds or do they let you book in Canadian funds? Thanks.

Here are a few starters:

Its always best to ask if the cruiseline charges directly and not the agency. this is better protection for you

Always ask about cancellation fees, Outside of the cruiseline cancellation fees. I Know of one on the list here on cruisecritic charges and they have always been good, but I won't use them again, because of this charge. I have only cancel 1 cruise in over 10 years, its still an important factor to me.

I agree with all of the comments echoed above, however, I'd like to add some. Is there any service after the initial sale. Will they help you with onboard issues that may arise or back away? If your cruise price drops will they assist you in getting an upgrade? EWill they assist you in cabin selection or just take whatever their computer shows? are they knowledgeable about the Ship and its layout.

Yes we all want a bargain, but sometimes its worthwhile to gwet alittle less $$ and a whole lot more service

just a thought

Interesting.....very interesting. Some TA's certainly are not worth their salt. Some could offer more perks, and those perks should be know up front...not when you say you're going to book. :rolleyes: What's the point in not advising a customer "what's in it for them"? You can catch more bees with honey. ;) ;)

My online US TA (who is awesome by the way) is available by text almost all the time. I can book in either US or CND, which ever currency is most beneficial at the time of booking. This is on X and haven't tried booking other lines in CND with a US TA. Sometimes the pricing does not match the current exchange rate so I use bank accounts in both currencies to hedge the cruise fare.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36706207#post36706207

I never stated that children are not allowed to dine in BLU. I merely made the comment that my T.A. Had indicated that AQ is child free. When she made that comment it was regarding the cabins ONLY. We never discussed BLU. At that time I had already decided on a CC cabin ... It was only after later research on this board that I decided to upgrade to AQ after hearing good reviews.

Her comment was a tiny fraction of the entire conversation, a comment that I'm sorry that I ever wrote today had I known that it would create a mountain out of a molehill.

Contrary to popular belief, she really is a very experienced T.A. Who I found via the Cruise Critic boards. She cruises all the time, but as evinced by her comment that seems to be the source of consternation to at least one poster, she can't be expected to know every single thing there is to know about cruising, but perhaps when she has cruised in AQ there weren't any kids, or perhaps her clients have been giving her feedback and that truly has been their experience, but I wanted to set the record straight that I never said that children aren't allowed to dine in BLU.

However, the tips above by the OP are good tips for the new cruiser.

Needs vary.

While we've use a TA whenever we've book a cruise we only have base expectations that they'll chase upgrades & credits if we tell them that a price has dropped, know about promotions, offer competitive pricing & perks, etc.

However, we don't expect them to have detailed knowledge about a ship or destination. Part of the fun for us is researching the trip. I don't expect a TA to remember every askable question across X number of lines and Y classes of ships so I generally don't bother asking these types of questions but only ask pricing/sales type questions.

I have been using a local TA office from an automobile membership club since moving here 3 years ago. The TA who went above and beyond for me is unfortunately no longer working there. However I was so grateful for her efforts I still use them. My son and I had gotten stranded at CLT airport on our way to Rome for a Mediterranean cruise. The plane had broken down and we couldn't make our connecting flight. I had foolishly not left myself an extra day to allow for such an emergency. The ticket lady at the airport was absolutely no help and I thought we were going to miss our cruise. In a panic I called my TA who performed a miracle on her own time. She got us on a Luftansa flight that was full and advised us how to catch a connecting flight in Munich. We had to reticket in the terminal there and literally run for the connecting flight. We made it to the cruise with less than an hour to spare. We had no clothes as our suitcases were in the broken plane in CLT. The cruise line helped us out with free laundry, formal wear and other items until our suitcases came on board 3 days later. Learned my lesson on that one! I use the TA for the promotions they offer and to help with our travel arrangements. But I research everything myself anyway. I am always looking for price drops, specials and read the tips here on CC. :) But I have to say our TA is very good about calling the cruise line directly if she is not sure or if I have asked her a question she can't answer. That doesn't bother me and I appreciate her willingness to track down the accurate info rather than just guessing or assuming.

I've booked 26 cruises, all with online TAs. I have three that are consistently the best deal. They return calls and e-mails promptly. I've gotten price reductions, upgrades, and advice on cruise lines ships, and excursions. They've done everything I've asked of them and more. OH yea, they've saved me a ton of money. I check with cruise lines and a local TA occassionly and they can't come close to matching what I get online.

In today's digital age and with the info we learn about cruising here on Cruise Critic and other sites, I disagree with the OPs criteria for choosing a travel agent. It is so easy to research travel on the Internet and find a wealth of information about potential future vacations I'm not sure TAs today play as important a roll in vacation planning as they have in the past. Having said all that I appreciate that some people are more comfortable working with a TA and that is great.

We cruise a lot and do use an online travel agency and have for a number of years. However when we call to book, our plans are finalized and we are reaping the benefits from using this TA. Please note we have always been pleased with her response time if we need to make any changes to our trip.

I've booked 26 cruises, all with online TAs. I have three that are consistently the best deal. They return calls and e-mails promptly. I've gotten price reductions, upgrades, and advice on cruise lines ships, and excursions. They've done everything I've asked of them and more. OH yea, they've saved me a ton of money. I check with cruise lines and a local TA occassionly and they can't come close to matching what I get online.

I'm usually only available to make arrangements on certain days and some online TAs are not open on weekends. Has anyone else found that to be a problem for them?

Hi Everyone,

This is an excellent discussion, but I must remind our community to refrain from mentioning specific TA's. When a TA is mentioned, the post will be deleted.

If you notice any TA's mentioned, please use the alert button report.gif, and Host Walt or myself will take care of it.

Thank You !

Do TA's give you OBC inaddition to the OBC and upgrade you get by booking a Celebrity cruise while on a Celebrity ship?

If I book the 123 Promo pkg while on a January 2013 cruise (securing an OBC and cabin upgrade from Celebrity for booking on the ship), can a TA pickup the booking and add OBC on top of the Promo package?

JSP

Do TA's give you OBC inaddition to the OBC and upgrade you get by booking a Celebrity cruise while on a Celebrity ship?

If I book the 123 Promo pkg while on a January 2013 cruise (securing an OBC and cabin upgrade from Celebrity for booking on the ship), can a TA pickup the booking and add OBC on top of the Promo package?

JSP

Hi JSP -

The TA can offer an OBC (or something else) where it could be combinable with a Celebrity promotion. However, 100% of the OBC must be coming from their pocket. I suggest that you confirm this with your TA. I hope this helps !

Hi JSP -

The TA can offer an OBC (or something else) where it could be combinable with a Celebrity promotion. However, 100% of the OBC must be coming from their pocket. I suggest that you confirm this with your TA. I hope this helps !

Thanks Andy.

I'm usually only available to make arrangements on certain days and some online TAs are not open on weekends. Has anyone else found that to be a problem for them?

The TA that we use consistently isn't open on weekends and there is a time-differential as well (we're on opposite US coasts). If I find a new booking, I can put the reservation on a courtesy hold for 24-hours (this can be extended to 36 hours through a telephone call to Captain's Club, as I recently found out) and contact the agency as soon as it opens. If I should find a price drop when I can't reach the agency, I've been told that I can take a screen shot showing the price drop and they can get it for me when they open. I haven't had to try this yet, so YMMV.

Betsy

Archived