Large groups taking over cruise - opinion please :)

Howdy! My husband and I are going on a cruise soon (FOS), and it has come to our attention that a rather large group of about 800 people are sailing with us.

Has anyone experienced this? We are worried that large groups like this can take over public spaces when they come together to meet and/or hang out. I understand that they have their own shows to go to in reserved sections of the ship, but I have heard horror stories of large groups "annoying" other passengers, getting in everyones way, and generally "taking over" parts of the ship. Any input would be great! I am hoping to hear some good stories... its too late for us to cancel now...

Howdy! My husband and I are going on a cruise soon (FOS), and it has come to our attention that a rather large group of about 800 people are sailing with us.

Has anyone experienced this? We are worried that large groups like this can take over public spaces when they come together to meet and/or hang out. I understand that they have their own shows to go to in reserved sections of the ship, but I have heard horror stories of large groups "annoying" other passengers, getting in everyones way, and generally "taking over" parts of the ship. Any input would be great! I am hoping to hear some good stories... its too late for us to cancel now...

Google them, they have a very detailed website that has information from prior cruises. They have a lot of entertainment scheduled for this upcoming cruise. I wouldn't doubt the events will be private though from some of the pictures on their website, they have things by the pools too.

I wouldn't want to sail with a group that large unless I was with the group. Good luck.

Edit to add a question: Why didn't you reschedule in October when you found out about the group?

Edited by reallyitsmema

We sailed on a five night Radiance cruise in 2011 where half the ship was a plumbing supply dealer group (included spouses and kids). The plumbers had meetings mostly in the theater and the conference room so they really didn't disturb the ship's routine. They were a hoot once the "official" work day ended, however:) We made a lot of new friends:)

We sailed on a five night Radiance cruise in 2011 where half the ship was a plumbing supply dealer group (included spouses and kids). The plumbers had meetings mostly in the theater and the conference room so they really didn't disturb the ship's routine. They were a hoot once the "official" work day ended, however:) We made a lot of new friends:)

This group sells a separate entertainment pass for $385 in addition to the cruise fare. They are all on main seating so that it will make it easier for their shows. They also picked Freedom because they needed larger venues so everyone in their group can see the shows.

Looks like they might be a little more intrusive than the plumbers.;):)

I googled this sailing. It appears it will be a bunch of computer geeks. When it comes to group cruises, I would think they would be quite layed back. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about this group. Except of course the wifi will be challenged that week with all those geeks and their Mac Books and laptops.

It could be much worse. I was reading recently about a large group of bikers that essentially took over the ship. There would definately be a different vibe on that ship.

I would bet there will be other passengers who will not even notice they are there. I have been on group cruises and was surprised at how well RCL handled the separate entertainment.

Strike up a conversation and you might found out about some new cool computer thing.

:)

We sailed on the Adventure out of San Juan with a group of about 500-600. This was some type of religious group. I'm not sure if it is always like this, but they definitely took over several venues. Even when they weren't scheduled, that many people together definitely do.

This sounds like a " fan" group of an entertainer. We had one of these on our Oasis cruise; Gino Vanelli. Admittedly, they were obviously a smaller percentage of total pax, and given that his big hit was frim the 70s, most of the group was women in their 50s, but I wouldn't have been able to pick them out from others except for their neck "credential" that allowed them into private concerts and events. Some venues were used for them, but at times when nothing else was going on there anyway. (Like the disco at 7 PM-there wouldn't be bartenders in there anyway). Finally on the last day of the cruise he performed in the Amber theater open to all. Most non group pax walked in stayed for half a number and walked out!

The good news is when they are using a little used lounge ( and Freedom has plenty of lounges) for their private events they are not clogging up the other venues, and it is LESS crowded. Have fun, I wouldn't sweat it!

Family Go Boston, we were on that same cruise too! What was amazing, the last night Gino Vanelli gave a concert open to the public-- for free, as I recall. The group had been selling very expensive tickets, but I guess they weren't selling well.

So Hubby and I went to the concert. I was amazed at all of his hits. There were songs I didn't even know were his! He had an excellent backup band. His voice is still very good. In short, we really enjoyed that concert. It was an extra treat on the cruise we never expected.

Thank you for reminding me of this happy event.

I googled this sailing. It appears it will be a bunch of computer geeks. When it comes to group cruises, I would think they would be quite layed back. Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about this group. Except of course the wifi will be challenged that week with all those geeks and their Mac Books and laptops.

It could be much worse. I was reading recently about a large group of bikers that essentially took over the ship. There would definately be a different vibe on that ship.

I would bet there will be other passengers who will not even notice they are there. I have been on group cruises and was surprised at how well RCL handled the separate entertainment.

Strike up a conversation and you might found out about some new cool computer thing.

:)

Do not underestimate the partying power of geeks. :D

We were on Rhapsody in July and there was a HUGE Avon group onboard (in hindsight...explains the high prices that week). Anyway, it did not affect our cruise one bit. We did our thing and they did theirs. Saw tons of them around the ship, but didn't make a difference to us. Try not to sweat it and just focus on you having a good time! Have fun!

We too are nervous about this. We saved for a year for this cruise and although we like some of the performers for jccc3 (we are not a part of the group), we don't want to be limited from what we could have done on the ship had the group not been present.

Does that make sense?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

OMG THAT'S THE JOCO CRUISE!!! *Cries*

Yes I am one of those people who's into the things those people are into. Computer geek is not really the term I would use. More video gamers, web comics, internet people and those who like funny cat videos.

I'll have to look at the one in 2014!

Wow! I think I gotta show my hubs this cruise for next year. Totally up our alley. Nerdcore! MC Frontalot, Wil Wheaton, board games like Pandemic, and drinking! Haha

Like PAX but at sea!

Edited by Kesstral
Liked the reference to nerdcore

We had approximately 700 young ladies and their families celebrating the girls quinceaneras. Unfortunately, it was before MTD and we requested late seating. A table had been created for my family of 6, placed IN FRONT of the door to the dining room and although requested, there was nothing that could be done to move us due to the large sized group. Nightly, we witnessed the overwhelming parade of young ladies not able to finish a course of dinner without multiple trips to somewhere outside of the dining room and the "high school drama" that accompanied them. Others may have complained more loudly but my husband and I being educators took it as our nightly HS dance duty and did our best with our adult sons and their significant others. Although we could have opted for the WJ, we made a family decision to stick it out in the dining room. We joked about the situation, the boys started counting the number of trips the girls made, the waiters were more than courteous to us each evening and we did make reservations at Chops. The upside was that other than dinner - we NEVER saw the girls.

I've read the reviews of their past cruises and they definitely seem to be aware of their impact on other cruisers and work to avoid being a problem.

From their website for this year, they will all be assigned to the 6pm dinner seating, so if you want to avoid them a later time would be a good start.

I was on Freedom with bikers 3 years ago , and I was amazed . First of all they had their bikes with them and every stop came off ship with them , I would hurry to see them leave and come back , it was beautiful . On the ship while they are different from me they were polite , nice and a lot of fun , a bit more noisey then I am , didn't dress like me , but if you believe that people are just people different but the same , you get to meet real nice folks .