The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

We didn't have a lot of experience with the Aqua Spa Cafe and only stopped by to grab salads/snacks at lunchtime on a couple of occasions. I never ordered the salmon, for instance. The set up is a bit larger and there is more seating but still not adequate at peak times, especially when groups were using the tables for card games :confused:

Here's a photo taken when it wasn't open for business:

I forgot about how that annoyed me, with the card playing. I don't mind them using the table, but at lunch time it should not be allowed to hog up the tables. Just some common courtesy is needed. Don't know who to blame celebrity or the guess. The food was good otherwise.

Enjoying the review, I have linked it in a post for others to look at in the roll call forum.

Edited by Bosjoe

Upon returning to the ship (always love the "Welcome Back")....we decided to stop at the Passport Bar for much needed refreshments. We had not yet been to this bar on Deck 3 but had enjoyed it on previous S Class ships.

It is a very convenient stop on the return from port excursions. I really like the decor of this area and we have always had good service at the Passport Bar, this cruise being no exception.

P1010766_zpsb83fd57f.jpg

P1010767_zps89c4a81f.jpg

P1010765_zpsff9767fd.jpg

It is nice to sit at the bar, but we also enjoyed the sea level view out the windows....

P1010769_zps81f1d05c.jpg

I also discovered a new drink (to me anyway)....the Palmilla Sangria, so refreshing!!

P1010770_zps283c3339.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I forgot about how that annoyed me, with the card playing. I don't mind them using the table, but at lunch time it should not be allowed to hog up the tables. Just some common courtesy is needed. Don't know who to blame celebrity or the guess. The food was good otherwise.

Enjoying the review, I have linked it in a post for others to look at in the roll call forum.

Yeah, we saw exactly the same on Solstice. One lunchtime a couple set up their game board game and didn't bat an eyelid when people were waiting around for a table. Couldn't believe how selfish they were. Of all the places on the ship they could set up their game, why choose the cafe with fewest tables :confused:

Suitably refreshed, we headed up to Deck 5 to enjoy a view of the departure from St. Maarten.

24c46f1a61d433eb3def8c5856234400.jpg

This was a lovely area (on the starboard side - port side was smoking) with both rocking and reclining chairs. It is accessible by a exit near Cafe al Bacio.

2f88f1eee00f877d2d687c7f7843e28f.jpg

It was also an area where you could enjoy a short walk, somewhat protected from the elements.

9943a58fba9058e8dad16fbacc12e419.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Thanks for the great review, photos and "extras". It's killing me that I have to wait until November before I get to sail on Reflection.

I'm in the same boat ;) (pun slightly intended). I am absolutely loving Sandi's review and pictures as well! It is very appreciated for this new ship!

Edited by ms_samuella

Lovely review so far and thanks for the wonderful photo's:).

Thank you for the wonderful review and the great pictures and screen shots. My wife and I will be sailing her in three weeks and this review is stoking my excitement. I can't wait!

Great review!! We will be on the Reflection in exactly two weeks and we can't wait! Also, the Epic is a beautiful ship (inside)... I would not hesitate to sail on her again!

We're on same cruise. Love reading this review to get insight into new ship for us. We were at same ports in December on summit. Looking forward to nice relaxing trip.

After reading review we might upgrade wife's beverage package to top shelf. I only drink bud light, so I'm fine with basic, but she likes to experiment.

I'm most looking forward to Maho. I think it's the best beach on earth. Just love watching planes. Not sure wife is always as exited as me to go there, but she puts up with it. Usually rent car, but this time might just do taxi.

Once again, thanks for great (long) review. It is now a 2 page review for me and I look forward to more!!

We relaxed for a while and enjoyed another visit to the Molecular Bar before attending the show Momentum in the Theatre at 7:15 p.m. It was not as good as the first night show in our opinion. A little too much singing and dancing!!

Barbera made me a South of the Rio, a drink that is no longer on the menu - quite tasty and slightly spicy.

P1010903_zpsce555582.jpg

Service was as good as ever in Blu, but the food wasn't quite as impressive as the first two nights. Not bad, just not outstanding.

Here are the menus (courtesy of Adamarra Cruises)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303620808/in/set-72157627905504343/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303097329/in/set-72157627905504343/

Scott started with the frog legs while I ordered the French Onion Soup (not on the menu). He then tried the White Bean Soup, which was very tasty and I had a salad.

My entree selection was the Sauteed Halibut, which was actually more like fried halibut.

FoodampDrink028_zps2bd00859.jpg

and Scott had the chicken, which was underwhelming. (I tried to convince him to have the veal loin).

FoodampDrink038_zps83b08726.jpg

The small serving of the duck confit ravioli we shared was far superior to either of our entrees actually.

I don't recall what we had for dessert.

We headed up to the Pool Deck after dinner for the Totally 80's Deck Party - meh....not our thing. Guess I should have had a clue since I don't really like 80s music that much! The vibe wasn't that good and I wasn't really into the band D'Revelations. Someone told me the next day, that CD Paul Baya sang with the band later...not sure if that would have altered my opinion.!! It had been a long day anyway with our wonderful boat tour around St. Martin and we were ready to head back to our cabin.

It was always a pleasure to return to our stateroom. Our steward was unfailingly efficient and the bed was always turned down with chocolates waiting....lovely.

Edited by librarylady19

Day 5 - St. Thomas

Arrival at Crown Bay, St. Thomas was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. this morning and I could see from our balcony at 6:30 a.m. that we were almost there.

P1010771_zps97348f2b.jpg

We could also see another ship (I think it was the Epic again) docked at Havensight.

P1010773_zpse701975b.jpg

We hurried off to the buffet for a quick bite for breakfast (no time for Blu today unfortunately). We had booked a ship's excursion to St. John and had to be at the designated meeting point on the dock by 8:20 a.m. We wanted to take the ferry to St. John from Red Hook as we had done this last year from Havensight but were concerned about the availability of taxis to get us to the Red Hook Ferry from Crown Bay). Taking the ship's ferry turned out to be a good move (Thanks Deirdre for the recommendation).

After about a 20 minute wait, we were directed to our ferry which already had some passengers onboard who were from Frenchman's Reef Resort.

P1010774_zps33e8bc74.jpg

Here is another ship, ready to take passengers on the pirate tour:

P1010775_zpsfa8d2598.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

We opted to sit on the upper deck of the ferry boat, even though it was cloudy and looked a bit threatening. The ride was a bit choppy, but not compared to our wild boat ride around St. Maarten the previous day.

We didn't take a lot of photos en route to St. John as it soon started to rain and we moved downstairs under cover.

P1010831_zpsc6492762.jpg

P1010844_zps41f496c2.jpg

The worst thing about the ferry ride was the awful narration by Capt. Jack. Not only was it incredibly loud, but riddled with opinion and inacurracies. He had comment on every unsavory character who ever lived in St. Thomas it would seem :confused:

Fortunately, we soon reached our destination, the lovely island of St. John. We docked in Cruz Bay, not too far from where the public ferry docks.

Our shore excursion included a walking tour of St. John, but we opted to skip that to head straight to our destination, Honeymoon Beach.

To reach Honeymoon Beach, you can take the Lind Point Trail accessible near the Visitor's Center, which was right across from the ferry stop.

P1010813_zps6725e494.jpg

P1010815_zpsfe7fa367.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I had researched this beach in advance (we had been to Trunk Bay on our last visit and wanted to try somewhere different) and it looked like a short hike from Cruz Bay but it really was quite a slog with not much to look at. It was quite hilly and rocky, not something I would recommend to someone not wearing decent footwear or with any physical issues. We made it ok, but would have rather spent the 20 minutes it took to get there in a taxi to a beach in hindsight (we didn't want exercise...we were on vacation :))

That said, when we finally took the trail down to the beach, it was a lovely spot:

P1010779_zps4bec0335.jpg

There were a number of tour boats there with snorkelers but they didn't come too far down the beach at all.

P1010778_zps4b6b8ec4.jpg

P1010780_zpsa79ed6cc.jpg

We rented a couple of loungers ($10 each) from the concession stand that also had water gear, etc. There were changing facilities and restrooms there also, newly constructed I understand.

P1010783_zps9a12f4e9.jpg

P1010784_zpsee2f9ecf.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

We decided to swim right away, and a good thing too, as it started to rain and we were forced to move our chairs under cover.

P1010781_zpsd92f4d32.jpg

P1010782_zps1b23f037.jpg

The rainbow was pretty, but this was not exactly the weather I had in mind for the Caribbean in January. The rain let up but it was still cloudy so we decided to head back into Cruz Bay for lunch and shopping.

We couldn't face another hike, but were told by the young man at the concession stand that the trail toward Caneel Bay Resort would only take about 7 minutes and taxis were available there. Sold!!

We had some nice views of Caneel Bay on our short walk on a nicely paved trail.

P1010776_zpsa7492b09.jpg

Caneel Bay Resort:

P1010786_zpsd33e3938.jpg

I was a little nervous that we would be stopped, but the staff of the resort were very hospitable and directed us to the taxi area. The resort looked beautiful; I'm sure it's pricey!!

P1010790_zpsfcb0af45.jpg

P1010791_zpse707c532.jpg

We sat outside on their patio and enjoyed our beers and ordered lunch.

P1010796_zpse10379b6.jpg

The rain (again) drove us inside after a short while. Scott was perfectly happy to stay there and enjoy their beers while I explored the shops of Mongoose Junction.

He also did some shopping of his own, picking up another beer T-shirt to add to his collection

P1010799_zps1fe85d3e.jpg

While I purchased a lovely silver infinity bracelet from Caravan Gallery next door:

P1010884_zps8ddfb523.jpg

Win - Win!!

Can anyone remember the name of the female bartender at the Molecular Bar? DH doesn't think it was Bar era....she's pictured a few posts back.,,.

Hi Sandi,:) Barbara was in there last month when I sailed too. I don't

know the bartender in the photo but it is not Barbara.

Hi,

We are going on the Silhoutte in June: is the Bistro on 5 on all Celebrity shps? Also, did you find man outside dining areas? B

Thanks!

Yes , all ships have bistro on five. Silhouette actually has all the same places as Reflection.

What do you mean by. "Man outside dining areas".MWe didn't eat in main Dining room as we were in Aquaclass.

Edited by librarylady19