The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Hi Sandi, the photos are fabulous:):D:)....I booked Silhouette

for April and decided to give AQ another try. (last time I was in there

was 3 years ago). Hoping the food and service are as good as your

experience:)

Oh...glad you enjoyed the Chocoberry in Molecular too!:D

Hi Lois, Thanks again for the drink recommendation...wouldn't have known to ask for it otherwise. At first the bartender said they couldn't make it, but the female bartender Barbera jumped in and corrected him. She also suggested other drinks from past MB menus such as South of the Rio which was a slightly spicy margarita-type drink.

Can't wait to hear abut your AQ experiences in Silhouette! What cabin do you have?

Edited by librarylady19

Very nice pics of San Juan. My friends are cruising from there in May; I will show her your review.

Don't like the look of those sun loungers all crammed in. Last cruise, a lone man had a lounger reserved with his towel, then reserved beds either side of him with his stuff on, and he wasn't using any of them for more than 5 minutes!

I also can't bear how people leave their used towels rather than move them to the bins, as you mentioned earlier. So rude!

Was the $20 the charge for the craft class then you get to keep what you make?

Thanks - Ill add more SJ photos today. Photobucket kept crashing last night :confused: do urge your friend to spend time pre or post cruise in San Juan. I would love to return and explore more of the island outside of SJ.

Yes, the $20 fee was for the bracelet - I attended another class where we made a bracelet later in the week that was free (cheaper materials).

Sorry for the delay ....will have to use the photobucket app so ohotos won't be resized :mad:

back in SanJuan at San Cristobal.....the views from the top of the fort were fantastic!

P1010625_zps71f3b24f.jpg

P1010611_zps077710cb.jpg

P1010613_zpsd99faa17.jpg

P1010634_zps73561898.jpg

P1010627_zps1822356c.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

P1010646_zps2e163703.jpg

Concluding our fascinating tour of the fort, we decided to hop on the free trolley to El Morro.

P1010637_zps02d1acee.jpg

Not that we couldn't use the exercise of a walk but the trolley is so convenient! It was a breezy day, so there were lots of people flying kites.

We didn't stop to visit El Morro as we had toured the fort on a previous visit. We agreed that both forts were well worth visiting for both the history and the wonderful views.

We hopped off the trolley somewhere in OSJ, And spent a little time wandering the streets enjoying the colorful architecture, quite different from the Caribbean.

P1010651_zps21f3b060.jpg

P1010652_zpsaa9bd1cf.jpg

P1010653_zps292f7401.jpg

P1010654_zpsdf107f4d.jpg

We headed back to Reflection to enjoy the ship while others were in port.

Here's a link to our SJ photos if you are interested:

http://photobucket.com/albums/j322/librarylady19/San Juan 1-2013

we enjoyed a couple of drinks at the Sunset Bar before heading to the outdoor seating on OV cafe for some pre-dinner snacks. I really like the expanded seating on this deck. We are not buffet people generally but do enjoy the afternoon tea sandwiches and sushi. we also had pizza a few times as a convenient snack.

Tis photo was taken while we were docked in Miami, but you get the idea....

P1010352_zpsb7e196c4.jpg

Here is the bar menu available at OV cafe. They also had an annex of Cafe al Bacio there which was very convenient. Service there was excellent!!

P1010354_zps45764c3a.jpg

Wish I tried the breakfast colada....oh well next cruise.*

P1010355_zpsdc624f33.jpg

I did not get any decanters of wine on this cruise, but had ordered them with the premium package on Eclipse.

P1010356_zpse85a588e.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

I am so enjoying your trip Sandi. Your photos just bring everything to life. San Juan is one of our favorite places in the Caribbean, with so much to see, & we love the people!

Can't wait for your next chapter!

It always seems to be windy near El Morro. There are kite fliers every time we've been there.

Edited by richsea

I had decided to treat myself to a manicure so left Scott to his own devices (a visit to Michaels) while I went to the Aqua Spa.

P1010291_zps4d0b841d.jpg

Let me say that Im not a spa person and have never used the aqua spa on any previous cruises (I was a bit leery after reading about pushy sales people and other negative experiences). However, I was really glad I decided to give it a go. I received a fantastic manicure from a lovely young lady Tandy from Swaziland. I was so pleased with the results that I booked a pedicure for later in the cruise.

Here are some more photos of the Aqua Spa:

P1010290_zps625d050b.jpg

Secret staircase:

P1010270_zps6169fd43.jpg

Treatment room

P1010297_zps17679b9f.jpg

Relaxation lounge.

P1010296_zpsdc18776f.jpg

I didn't know the decanter was covered by the premium package. Thought it was just glasses of wine.:eek:

Is the Cafe al Baccio annex part of the OV bar? Is that new? So you can get cappuccinos there? Hmmm I'm liking Reflection more and more :cool:

I hurried up to the Lawn Club to join Scott for the Concert on the Lawn.This was superlative entertainment - the best of the cruise!!

Blankets were placed on the lawn on front of the Lawn Club Grill and folding seats were provided to rest our back on. (You do have to sit on the ground tho) Complimentary cheese plates were also provided and wine service was available. Matt and Riley gave a wonderful performance under the stars. What a treat ...relaxing, sipping wine and enjoying their music. Wish this had been offered more than once its definitely a not to be missed event!!!

These photos aren't that great, but hopefully you can get the idea.

3ad7943e9b28e03f234162b2c8c9cad6.jpg

183c630f09c94b9d368b8bba190f3b37.jpg

a99cb8ea7b57146d370e7522d61c68e0.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Back to our cabin to change into dinner clothes (I had to wear a red dress to match my new nails:) and off to Blu.

We were able to sit in our favorite section with us wonderful serving team of Paola and Mustafa again and enjoyed another fantastic meal.

Appetizers:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303094043/in/set-72157627905504343/

Entrees:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59368763@N07/6303620202/in/set-72157627905504343/

I started with the Lumb Crab Martini:

FoodampDrink026_zps2b4a2bd1.jpg

And Scott gave thumbs up to the Angus Beef Carpaccio:

FoodampDrink025_zps7817f90c.jpg

Scott had the red bell pepper soup and I had the grilled eggplant which I loved (it does sound like a lot of food but portions are not huge and the food is fairly light).

FoodampDrink017_zps045a7c25.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

my entree, the pomegranate glazed duck breast, was one of the best entrees I have had in a long time, on land or sea. Absolutely divine!!

FoodampDrink016_zps4ce57060.jpg

Scott agreed - he had the rib eye which was tasty, but couldn't compete with the duck (I was nice and shared!). We also had a small portion of the rigatoni to share.

FoodampDrink012_zpsd71b56e3.jpg

Scott had the after eight cake for dessert, that looked better than it tasted (quite common with Blu desserts):

FoodampDrink024_zps181c2751.jpg

While I enjoyed one of my favorites, creme brûlée with berries.

FoodampDrink020_zps184e7f83.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

We ended the evening in the Theatre enjoying the comedy performance by Steve Caouette.

eb4f4760853618e5db27332bcaa42d69.jpg

he was very funny, relating stories about his GF and mercilessly teasing audience members who made the mistake of arriving late or sitting in the front row (never a good idea at a comedy show).

We returned to our cabin and read in the Celebrity Today that our arrival time for St. Maarten was 10:00 am. We had a tour arranged with Captain Bob that was leaving at 9:30 am so I hope we actually get in earlier than that. :(. Oh well, out of my control so I didnt stress too much. We'd go to plan B (catching a cab to the beach) if Capt. Bob fell through.

Edited by librarylady19

Thanks for the great review, I almost feel like I am on the boat !!

Where is the bar you can smoke at ? I know you can't smoke "in" the bar but you can sit outside have a beer and a smoke ? Thanks

fantastic review - we have never been on a cruise before and were a little wary/concerned that we wouldn't enjoy it - after reading your review we are so delighted we have booked on the Reflection and are sailing on 2nd March!

Could you please advise your thoughts on

Gratuities (we are from Northern Ireland and this "Tipping" thing confuses the hell out of us! Is it best to pay gratuities in advance?

Drinks packages - we like a tipple - wine with food and my better half likes a cocktail or two and like your hubby i like a beer - what is best package?

Shore excursions (we have same itinerary as you guys) any recommendations?

I hope this is too much to ask you considering its my first post on the forum and apologise if I'm overstepping the mark

many thanks

Thanks for your comprehensive review. How do you find the time to write while on board? We appreciate your effort...

I believe she is home now, writing the review from the Windy City;)

Thanks for the great review, I almost feel like I am on the boat !!

Where is the bar you can smoke at ? I know you can't smoke "in" the bar but you can sit outside have a beer and a smoke ? Thanks

Upstairs, deck 15 Sunset Bar......portside there are ashtrays and

you will see the area where the smokers are sitting.

oops Sandi, hope it is ok I answered that one.......:)

I didn't know the decanter was covered by the premium package. Thought it was just glasses of wine.:eek:

Is the Cafe al Baccio annex part of the OV bar? Is that new? So you can get cappuccinos there? Hmmm I'm liking Reflection more and more :cool:

Yes, it's called Il Secondo Bacio. I didn't get a pic, but here's one from the wonderful Andreas Depping:

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=258&pid=8549#top_display_media

I think that guy was working when we were there!!

Edited by librarylady19

fantastic review - we have never been on a cruise before and were a little wary/concerned that we wouldn't enjoy it - after reading your review we are so delighted we have booked on the Reflection and are sailing on 2nd March!

Could you please advise your thoughts on

Gratuities (we are from Northern Ireland and this "Tipping" thing confuses the hell out of us! Is it best to pay gratuities in advance?

Drinks packages - we like a tipple - wine with food and my better half likes a cocktail or two and like your hubby i like a beer - what is best package?

Shore excursions (we have same itinerary as you guys) any recommendations?

I hope this is too much to ask you considering its my first post on the forum and apologise if I'm overstepping the mark

many thanks

Thanks for reading. Welcome to CC - we were all new to cruising and CC at one point. I can guarantee that you will want to sail again after going on the Reflection!!

To answer your questions, no need to prepay gratuities, unless you choose Select Dining, where it is required.

The gratuities are added to your onboard account each day and are charged to your credit card of record at the end of the voyage. THey are not really tips though some would argue otherwise (there are many heated discussions on CC on this topic) so this is my opinion. These chares should be considered service charges, not optional tips.

We also like to give cash tips ($) to our cabin steward and assistant steward if they do a good job (only once did we not give any extra, when we had a mediocre steward). We also give extra tips at the end of the cruise to our waitstaff if they provide good service, such as we received in Blu on this cruise.

We also tip $1 per drink to our barservers - but that is entirely optional, not an American custom.

As for the drinks packages - another topic of much discussion here - it totally depends on what you like to drink and how much. It is NOT necessary to booze it up to "get your money's worth" from the drinks packages. Look at the drink costs and roughly calculate how many you might have in a day, and what type of drinks you prefer.

For instance, beer drinkers would benefit most from the Premium package as the Classic package only includes beers up to $5 (and those are not craft beers). Martinis are $10 and Molecular Bar cocktails are $12. High-end mixed drinks would also be over the $8 limit of the classic package.

Wine by the glass is very limited under $8, a slightly better selection over that limit.

Would you also like the coffee or tea drinks from Cafe al Bacio (which can also be ordered at any dining venue)? At $4-5 a pop, those add up pretty quickly.

For us, the Premium Package is all about choice and convenience and well worth it....not for everyone though.