The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Couldn't agree more Deirdre!

After enjoying a beer at Michaels, we headed to the Theatre, drinks in hand, for Reflection: The Show. The program started with the introduction of the officers and the Captains Toast (our only sighting of the Captain, as we did not attend any of the Captains Club events).

bc0805e00370b48a6abf348a3780c0cb.jpg

We really enjoyed enjoyed the show. We usually do not care for the production shows as we are not fans of the music and dance numbers. This show was high energy and featured a variety of rock tunes (including Born to Run!!). There was also impressive acrobatics and contortions and a guy who did ladder and hoop tricks!

6612e0f8ed81c6c8cce3307ddf7ae130.jpg

We applaud X for trying to appeal to a younger demographic. Judging by the audience there they missed the mark bit on this particular cruise :rolleyes: but we loved it. Fresh, energetic performances.

We stopped in Ensemble to catch a couple of tunes by the Vivian Clements jazz trio then off to bed. Clocks had to go forward an hour that night to align with local time. According to X Today, weren't scheduled to arrive in San Juan until 5:00 pm, that would be a bummer as we would miss our planned visit to Castillo San Cristobal

Edited by librarylady19

... According to X Today, weren't scheduled to arrive in San Juan until 5:00 pm, that would be a bummer as we would miss our planned visit to Castillo San Cristobal

Once again, thanks for review...we sail in 16 days.

A note to others doing similar trip...there is a beautiful cemetery right next to that fort (Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery). I'm not sure of the its hours, but if you go to the fort, make sure you at least look into the cemetery from above and if have time, head down the road, through the tunnel (a nice photo op in its own right) and go into the cemetery.

Do you know why ship was so late getting there...it seems it varies (i know the engine fix is supposed to happen soon (or maybe already done), but I know i read recent review that said they actually got to San Juan early (maybe 3:00).

Once again, thanks for review...we sail in 16 days.

A note to others doing similar trip...there is a beautiful cemetery right next to that fort (Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery). I'm not sure of the its hours, but if you go to the fort, make sure you at least look into the cemetery from above and if have time, head down the road, through the tunnel (a nice photo op in its own right) and go into the cemetery.

Do you know why ship was so late getting there...it seems it varies (i know the engine fix is supposed to happen soon (or maybe already done), but I know i read recent review that said they actually got to San Juan early (maybe 3:00).

Well hopefully my review will be finished in 16 days:D

We actually got in to SJ around 2:30 pm, far ahead of the published arrival time thankfully.

I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your review. In fact, it confirmed that we wanted to try Celebrity and we are now booked. Your pictures are amazing and your optimism is contagious.

Its a shame that Michael's is not better suited. It seems like they are trying to do the feel of a "cigar lounge" by using beer. I don't think that works. I agree that a couple of tv's with sports, a few high tables, and an acoustic guitarist would do the trick. I do love the beer choices.

They can easily keep it sophisticated enough without turning into a full on Pub. It seems like a terrific venue for laid back, folksy guitar music though.

Hopefully Celebrity will take notice. In fact, I may have to make this point its own thread to ensure they see it. ;)

Edited by SuperTrooper00

Well hopefully my review will be finished in 16 days:D

We actually got in to SJ around 2:30 pm, far ahead of the published arrival time thankfully.

We connect at ORD. If you haven't finished posting review by then, you can just come to airport and tell me the remainder of your review.

Actually, we might need a place to stay! We only have 35 minute layover and we are scheduled to be on the last flight of the night to Miami on AA. I'm sure nothing can go wrong with that short of layover at one of the busiest airports in the country ;)...at least we are flying on Thursday night (originally thought about flying on Friday, but that wouldn't have given us many options if flights were delayed).

We were whisked away to our chosen location and turned over to our superb wait staff - the lovely Paola from Peru and her assistant, the darling Mustafa from Turkey.

Once we found Paola and Mustafa we never went to anyone else's table. They were so much fun. I appreciated her honesty about the vegetarian dish each night and she always had another option ready to present if she didn't think it was very good.

The sommeliers were definitely busy. I think they need one more. We eventually hooked up with Stefie, the female sommelier. She'd come ask us what we ordered and then glasses just appeared and were refilled generously. Her choices were spot-on. We were also on the premium package and I agree the sommeliers did give the bottle orders a little more attention. However, we were always well served so I'm not complaining one bit.

Edited by jaysonlf

Your review is fantastic, and I appreciate the information and pictures of Michael's. I'm another person working to try to get the hours changed and entertainment, both musical and sports, expanded fleet-wide. With tweaking, Michael's can be a great!

Thanks, again, for your review!

Once we found Paola and Mustafa we never went to anyone else's table. They were so much fun. I appreciated her honesty about the vegetarian dish each night and she always had another option ready to present if she didn't think it was very good.

The sommeliers were definitely busy. I think they need one more. We eventually hooked up with Stefie, the female sommelier. She'd come ask us what we ordered and then glasses just appeared and were refilled generously. Her choices were spot-on. We were also on the premium package and I agree the sommeliers did give the bottle orders a little more attention. However, we were always well served so I'm not complaining one bit.

Aren't they wonderful! Paola was leaving the ship the same day we did to go home. she is pregnant and getting married!! Unfortunately, I didn't get a photo with Paola, but here is one of Mustafa - what a sweetie. Wish I could hire him as my personal assistant:)

d5d4db7941aa024fdd659ef9ce5fb52e.jpg

Your review is fantastic, and I appreciate the information and pictures of Michael's. I'm another person working to try to get the hours changed and entertainment, both musical and sports, expanded fleet-wide. With tweaking, Michael's can be a great!

Thanks, again, for your review!

Deirdre (dln929) wrote a well thought-out, impassioned request to Michael Bayley addressing these issues. Perhaps if we initiate a petition from CC we may get some attention. Beer Lovers Unite!!

Hi Sandi, the photos are fabulous:):D:)....I booked Silhouette

for April and decided to give AQ another try. (last time I was in there

was 3 years ago). Hoping the food and service are as good as your

experience:)

Oh...glad you enjoyed the Chocoberry in Molecular too!:D

Day 3 - San Juan

It was still chilly this morning and windy; not really great weather to walk around the top decks - hopefully as we got closer to San Juan it would start to feel more like the Caribbean.

When the weather cooperates, there are a lot of great places to relax on outside if you didn't feel the need to be right by the pools.

c02cd5141b3fdd4edcaf1abb47a44e20.jpg

P1010255_zps92f861eb.jpg

Sandi - thanks for the EXCELLENT thread! Thinking about booking the Reflection for the Holiday cruise over Christmas for the family and your pictures and report are such a great help!

Can't wait to hear more about the ship and the ports!

Is michael Club is include in Premium Packahe. Mthankmyou.

Absolutely!! Scott had several of the Fullers Vintage ales that were $15 each and was charged $3. Anything $12 or less is "free". ie already paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple more outdoor photos.....

07e819db49edb972ed9520a526e9b8d2.jpg

An awful lot of deck chairs!

a01114e13ca89e87b0cf2a3f3b215726.jpg

We enjoyed another relaxing breakfast in Blu to start the day. I tried the muesli but didn't enjoy it that much as it was a bit runny. I didn't want to disappoint Jose Contreras, our waiter (yes baseball fans, that really is his name!) so I ate it anyway. Scott had his usual omelette.

We headed to Game On for a few rounds of electronic marbles before I went off to the Art Studio for the beaded bracelet class. It was pretty interesting but not really designed for rookies like myself; everyone else had beaded before so I was constantly playing catch-up (I know it's not complicated but I'm not a real crafty person.) The instructor, Jackie, was very patient and helpful and I came away with a red/black/pearl bracelet and matching earrings for $20.

I met up with Scott in the Solarium, where we had to hover and grab a couple of loungers when someone left as it was quite packed due to the cool and windy temperatures. We spent a pleasant couple of hours there; I fetched us ciders from the Mast Bar and a hot dog and fries (very tasty) from the Mast Grill which we supplemented with a healthy dish from the Aqua Spa Cafe.

Bar service seemed to be pretty non-existent in the Solarium and we avoided the Pool Bar whenever possible as the servers there were pretty mediocre and disinterested. It was slightly better at the Mast Bar and they at least had cider and some better beers.

We headed back to our cabin to get ready for our arrival in San Juan. The Captain had announced earlier that we would be ahead of the published time and should arrive in SJ sometime around 2:00 p.m. - yeah, land in sight! The sail-in is quite picturesque.

Our first sighting of blue waters:

P1010494_zpsc66f5c6f.jpg

P1010503_zpse4fc9e08.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

There was no line to get off the ship and we were on land again by 2:45 p.m. This was our first opportunity to get a good look at our beautiful ship. We had visited San Juan twice before. Once, prior to a Summit cruise, we stayed overnight had thus had an opportunity to explore in more depth and enjoy some of the flavor of this charming city both daytime and evening hours. Our visit last year on the Eclipse was also in the late afternoon and not the best way to enjoy SJ, we just wandered about then and returned to the ship.

This year, we decided to visit Castillo San Cristobal, one of three forts guarding old San Juan. It was a lovely, warm breezy day and enjoyed the short uphill walk to our destination.

P1010541_zps39e0e8c6.jpg

P1010542_zps061a7c49.jpg

P1010545_zpsf57b8f00.jpg

P1010546_zpsed6abd4b.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

The fort is a National Historic Site maintained by the National Park Service. Admission is $3.00 (or $5.00 if you wish to visit El Morro also). It was well worth the time spent in this fascinting, well preserved monument to Puerto Rico's past as a vital sea fortress:

P1010553_zps4e1380ad.jpg

We explored the tunnels and dungeons under the fort:

P1010558_zps0a1fc43d.jpg

P1010562_zps7d9a4698.jpg

P1010566_zpsf7b3eaa3.jpg

As well as the barracks and offices on ground level.

P1010577_zpse8f8af98.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

P1010599_zps9fd1b4f2.jpg

P1010592_zps5c83bdda.jpg

There were some amazing views of the oceans from the San Cristobal. We took the stairs up to the top level,

P1010606_zps295fde76.jpg

Where there were views of the city and ocean

P1010608_zps2583bbd3.jpg

and a pretty awesome cruise ship!

P1010609_zpsc77877e6.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Very nice pics of San Juan. My friends are cruising from there in May; I will show her your review.

Don't like the look of those sun loungers all crammed in. Last cruise, a lone man had a lounger reserved with his towel, then reserved beds either side of him with his stuff on, and he wasn't using any of them for more than 5 minutes!

I also can't bear how people leave their used towels rather than move them to the bins, as you mentioned earlier. So rude!

Was the $20 the charge for the craft class then you get to keep what you make?