Review of Sapphire Beach

aimathy

What is a bushwacker? We are going up to paradise point after sapphire and just wondering whats in it.

I've been to Paradise Point 3 times, getting a Bushwacker each time. Theirs has Bailey's Irish Cream, Kahlua and other great-tasting ingredients. It's topped with whipped cream, nutmeg and a cherry.

258294193_SouthernCaribbeanCruise239.jpg.e531bdf1607731fada2ce5ad7375930d.jpg

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

I've been to Paradise Point 3 times, getting a Bushwacker each time. Theirs has Bailey's Irish Cream, Kahlua and other great-tasting ingredients. It's topped with whipped cream, nutmeg and a cherry.

[ATTACH]263667[/ATTACH]

That sounds so amazing. Wish I was there now.:)

[ATTACH]263667[/ATTACH]

Thanks

that looks wonderful and yummy. I might just have to try one now:)

They are good. If you find yourself downtown and want another good one Coconuts' Backstreet Bushwacker is also famous, and they have what we feel is the best burger on the island. But we love hitting PP whether on a sea or land vacation, great spot to relax with friends and family and admire the view.

They are good. If you find yourself downtown and want another good one Coconuts' Backstreet Bushwacker is also famous, and they have what we feel is the best burger on the island. But we love hitting PP whether on a sea or land vacation, great spot to relax with friends and family and admire the view.

When you say Coconuts is "downtown" are you referring to Havensight or Charlotte Amalie?

This is going to sound silly and I should know this by now...but...if I get a Bushwacker and want to walk back on the ship with like 1/2 still in the cup, will they let me? I want one so bad, but those kind of drinks go RIGHT TO MY BRAIN and I want to slip it v e r y

s l o w l y so I don't fall asleep on the gangplank,:eek: but don't want to waste a drop either! :p

We have found that no matter what port we have been in, they allow you to take alcoholic drinks with you (for some reason some places have poured it into a plastic cup if you have a beer)...but they are not like the states where you can't have open containers. (Now I may be wrong and don't know the actual "rules" there. I just know that we've had drinks with us in every cab or bus). :)

Just know you'll have to down that drink by the time you hit the port to check in. ;)

We have found that no matter what port we have been in, they allow you to take alcoholic drinks with you (for some reason some places have poured it into a plastic cup if you have a beer)...but they are not like the states where you can't have open containers. (Now I may be wrong and don't know the actual "rules" there. I just know that we've had drinks with us in every cab or bus). :)

Just know you'll have to down that drink by the time you hit the port to check in. ;)

Yes, that was what I was wondering, if you could take the "cuppa" on with you to the ship. Oh, well, if I have to gulp, I have to gulp! :p:rolleyes::eek:

Yes, that was what I was wondering, if you could take the "cuppa" on with you to the ship. Oh, well, if I have to gulp, I have to gulp! :p:rolleyes::eek:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. :p No, you are not allowed to bring any food, beverages or plants onboard (or off they say but I have taken little packages of cereal off with me for the munchkin to snack on while we're in port..oops, naughty, naughty). So, you can't even bring a soda back with you either. Nothing, nadda, zero, ziltch. :D GULP AWAY MY FRIEND, GULP AWAY!

Video of Sapphire Beach stay, amazing beach, just please police your trash when you leave!

WOW Nice video of the beach.

Only few more days before departure to San Juan and the best on the last day... Sapphire Beach.... and that wonderful drink...

I may take a few since i'm not driving the ship.....

• 3 weeks later...
This is going to sound silly and I should know this by now...but...if I get a Bushwacker and want to walk back on the ship with like 1/2 still in the cup, will they let me? I want one so bad, but those kind of drinks go RIGHT TO MY BRAIN and I want to slip it v e r y

s l o w l y so I don't fall asleep on the gangplank,:eek: but don't want to waste a drop either! :p

ROTFL!!! I had two Bushwackers last week, at 'Paradise Point', and made it back to the ship safely.... and happy. :D

I reed so much good things about this beach.... That's what we decided to do...

We will NOT go back to this beach if we go to the Caribbean again.

The 30 minutes getting there is ok if the beach was fantastic... But we didn't think it was :(

Very crowded, no indication on where to go to rent a chair, no shade...

You walk 3 steps in the water and you are neck high in water, a couple of steps more and you find yourself in grass.... No fishes were to be found ... I snorkeled from left to right and found 2 fish near the rocks at the far right.

A lady sells drinks at a little counter ( on the beach ) near the bathrooms... She advertises 3$ a drink :) ..... 3$ drink has NO alcohol in it. She puts as much alcohol as you want in your drinks and then charges you accordingly .... I ended up with 2 drinks at 10$ each. If it had been "real" rum in those drinks I would probably be still in a lounge chair on the beach..... But no, it is fake rum believe me :(

Taxi from there were available but the guy we had was fussy about is "luxury" cab.... We had to clean our snorkel equipement, shake off any sand from us and our shoes... He inspected us before we could board his cab with seat covers and plastic mat on the floor.... Hey if you hate sand don't park at the beach to wait for customer :(

Edited by sebas030

The 30 minutes getting there is ok if the beach was fantastic... But we didn't think it was :(

You walk 3 steps in the water and you are neck high in water, a couple of steps more and you find yourself in grass.... No fishes were to be found ... I snorkeled from left to right and found 2 fish near the rocks at the far right.

Sebas, I've recommended in many threads to ask the condo guests and the dive center staff where to go snorkeling and where to go swimming if you're not familiar. Sapphire has several "sections" and apparently you weren't able to find the one you were looking for? The grassy area is one, the swimming area another, the reef another, and the shoal area another. Depends on where you are for how gradual it is.

A lady sells drinks at a little counter ( on the beach ) near the bathrooms... She advertises 3$ a drink :) ..... 3$ drink has NO alcohol in it. She puts as much alcohol as you want in your drinks and then charges you accordingly .... I ended up with 2 drinks at 10$ each. If it had been "real" rum in those drinks I would probably be still in a lounge chair on the beach..... But no, it is fake rum believe me :(

Many others have reported getting excellent (and strong) drinks from this lady so no, I think you just need to know what you are ordering and try to have fun!

Taxi from there were available but the guy we had was fussy about is "luxury" cab.... We had to clean our snorkel equipement, shake off any sand from us and our shoes... He inspected us before we could board his cab with seat covers and plastic mat on the floor.... Hey if you hate sand don't park at the beach to wait for customer

Most people know enough to clean their gear and themselves before getting into a taxi.yes, these drivers take very good care of their vehicles and justba few uncaring passengers could ruin them. If you think this driver gave you a gard time, don't ever go to Bermuda if you don't respect others vehicles. :(

Sorry you didn't enjoy your time sebas but I think you need to learn a bit more about the Carib to see if you could be happy anywhere there.

>>Very crowded, no indication on where to go to rent a chair, no shade...<<

I missed that part! :p you rent chairs at the dive center which is right where you were dropped off. You walked right by it.

And there is a ton of shade along the waters edge to the right of the dive center and along the rear of the beach to the left.

Are you sure you were at Sapphire Beach? Did you see the Banana Cabana beach grill or the marina beyond that?

Taxi from there were available but the guy we had was fussy about is "luxury" cab.... We had to clean our snorkel equipement, shake off any sand from us and our shoes... He inspected us before we could board his cab with seat covers and plastic mat on the floor.... Hey if you hate sand don't park at the beach to wait for customer :(

Our taxi driver dropped us off next to the Sapphire Beach Resort, and we walked through the building that's closest to the restrooms. There's a business near the restroom that rents all of those chairs sitting right there in the sand in front of them. There were plenty of chairs when we were there and that day, Tuesday last week, it was crowded but not enough to make the beach not enjoyable.

As for beaches, if you ever set foot on St. Thomas again, there are many other nice beaches to choose from; even take a ferry over to St. John.

As for sand, most rental car companies will charge customers a cleaning fee, if there's excessive sand left in their cars, so I understand the driver's point, but if he was rude, that's uncalled for.

I'd be skeptical if someone is selling me non beer alcoholic drink on the beach, and it's just $3. Unless a vendor has a positive reputation for their food/drinks, I'd be weary of something like that.

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

Sebas I probably should apologize for my earlier responses, I don't mean to be so defensive of Sapphire. There have just been a few very negative posts on Sapphire that I feel are very inaccurate depictions that I'm afraid others reading these would miss a great day if they referenced them. Sorry to hear your day wasn't as expected. Hopefully your next visit to STT can be much better at another beach. We're actually BVI lovers, but we stay at Sapphire before flying home and have found Sapphire to be a very charming beach with excellent snorkeling, and the East End of STT to be a nice break from the busier parts of STT. Most folks who always go directly to St John don't ever see the East End beaches and at least you did.

Next trip, for exceptional snorkeling try a day sail from the Sapphire Marina (or Red Hook) on New Horizons, Yacht Nightwind, or High Pockets to the cays off St John. St John's beaches are gorgeous as Caribbean Dreamer mentioned, but for the best snorkeling you will want to hit the best snorkel spotsby boat. We enjoyed a great day on the NHbut all of these and others are great day sails. Just a thought for future reference.

Originally Posted by sebas030 View Post

The 30 minutes getting there is ok if the beach was fantastic... But we didn't think it was

Sebas, I've recommended in many threads to ask the condo guests and the dive center staff where to go snorkeling and where to go swimming if you're not familiar. Sapphire has several "sections" and apparently you weren't able to find the one you were looking for? The grassy area is one, the swimming area another, the reef another, and the shoal area another. Depends on where you are for how gradual it is.

Maybe it was just a bad day for snorkelling for everyone... I heard MANY other "snorkelers" complain about the lack of fish

A lady sells drinks at a little counter ( on the beach ) near the bathrooms... She advertises 3$ a drink ..... 3$ drink has NO alcohol in it. She puts as much alcohol as you want in your drinks and then charges you accordingly .... I ended up with 2 drinks at 10$ each. If it had been "real" rum in those drinks I would probably be still in a lounge chair on the beach..... But no, it is fake rum believe me

Many others have reported getting excellent (and strong) drinks from this lady so no, I think you just need to know what you are ordering and try to have fun!

Knowing what I am ordering ??...she was offering 2 drinks, I ordered 1 of each....and I was trying to have fun...in fact I had fun...I was just disappointed. What I read and saw in many pictures and what I experienced are two completely different things

Taxi from there were available but the guy we had was fussy about is "luxury" cab.... We had to clean our snorkel equipement, shake off any sand from us and our shoes... He inspected us before we could board his cab with seat covers and plastic mat on the floor.... Hey if you hate sand don't park at the beach to wait for customer

Most people know enough to clean their gear and themselves before getting into a taxi.yes, these drivers take very good care of their vehicles and justba few uncaring passengers could ruin them. If you think this driver gave you a gard time, don't ever go to Bermuda if you don't respect others vehicles.

are you implying that I am not respectful of other or others propriety ?? ... snorkel gear was in a transparent carry bag with a zipper on it...there was a little sand IN the bag, my gear was all cleaned. As for myself and my fiancee, we actually changed before we left the beach..we were clean except for the sand we picked up between the bathroom and the parking lot ( no beach there ). The driver was unpleasant about it... He looked at us from head to toe a few times to make sure we were " worthy enough" for his luxury cab...that's his words

And by the way I have been TWICE to beautiful Bermuda, and both times I toured the island by taxi, and used only taxi to get around the island..had no complains there

I have never posted a "hate" post on these boards...I always have the " glass half full" attitude on these boards...but I must have hit some sensitive nerve about Sapphire beach.... I just told it like I lived it.... I said I would not go back to this beach if I go back to St-Thomas and that's the truth. I said I was disappointed.... I WAS :(

Originally Posted by sebas030 View Post

The 30 minutes getting there is ok if the beach was fantastic... But we didn't think it was

Maybe it was just a bad day for snorkelling for everyone... I heard MANY other "snorkelers" complain about the lack of fish

A lady sells drinks at a little counter ( on the beach ) near the bathrooms... She advertises 3$ a drink ..... 3$ drink has NO alcohol in it. She puts as much alcohol as you want in your drinks and then charges you accordingly .... I ended up with 2 drinks at 10$ each. If it had been "real" rum in those drinks I would probably be still in a lounge chair on the beach..... But no, it is fake rum believe me

Knowing what I am ordering ??...she was offering 2 drinks, I ordered 1 of each....and I was trying to have fun...in fact I had fun...I was just disappointed. What I read and saw in many pictures and what I experienced are two completely different things

Most people know enough to clean their gear and themselves before getting into a taxi.yes, these drivers take very good care of their vehicles and justba few uncaring passengers could ruin them. If you think this driver gave you a gard time, don't ever go to Bermuda if you don't respect others vehicles.

are you implying that I am not respectful of other or others propriety ?? ... snorkel gear was in a transparent carry bag with a zipper on it...there was a little sand IN the bag, my gear was all cleaned. As for myself and my fiancee, we actually changed before we left the beach..we were clean except for the sand we picked up between the bathroom and the parking lot ( no beach there ). The driver was unpleasant about it... He looked at us from head to toe a few times to make sure we were " worthy enough" for his luxury cab...that's his words

And by the way I have been TWICE to beautiful Bermuda, and both times I toured the island by taxi, and used only taxi to get around the island..had no complains there

I have never posted a "hate" post on these boards...I always have the " glass half full" attitude on these boards...but I must have hit some sensitive nerve about Sapphire beach.... I just told it like I lived it.... I said I would not go back to this beach if I go back to St-Thomas and that's the truth. I said I was disappointed.... I WAS :(

I was at sapphire last week and it was perfect... sunny day, snorkeling was number 1, Old lady had different drink with lot of rum in it, lot of chairs (7$ each...) and easy to find, the 2 taxis we had was friendly and pleasant....

Maybe it's not the beach that had a problem... ;)

We are going back to St-Thomas in december and probably go back to Sapphire again....:)

I recommend you try the beach at Parc Jean-Drapeau next time... ;)