Review of Sapphire Beach

aimathy

I'm confused about the entire post. Especially when it was said to not have any shade? There are grape trees everywhere???

If you look at their webcam, you can clearly see the trees lining the water:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

I have plenty of pictures myself of the trees by the water. There is definitely shade around there...natural shade.

I also did not find any drop offs at all. In the sandy swimming part we did not encounter any drop offs. When we were snorkeling (to the right) we went WAY out and it still was not even deep. :confused: I'm really confused.

I'm confused about the entire post. Especially when it was said to not have any shade? There are grape trees everywhere???

If you look at their webcam, you can clearly see the trees lining the water:

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com/

I have plenty of pictures myself of the trees by the water. There is definitely shade around there...natural shade.

I also did not find any drop offs at all. In the sandy swimming part we did not encounter any drop offs. When we were snorkeling (to the right) we went WAY out and it still was not even deep. :confused: I'm really confused.

OMG.......

The images I see on this webcam have nothing to do with where we went :mad:

I am confused myself now .....:eek:

I just looked at about 100 pics of the beach on the web....that's NOT where we went :mad:

We picked up a cab ( open type ) at the pier, then he made us switch cab downtown. It was us 2 and an other couple. They were going at an other beach, they were dropped off before us..... then a little later we were dropped at a resort...

Since we had all prepaid the taxi, she didn't even got out of her cab when she stopped...we got out and she flew away....now I think I know why :mad:

I am really pissed now....we were sent to the wrong beach....since I commented on this thread it was like 2 completely different places.....IT WAS !!!

I apologize for this monumental error....I will correct my review....

Thanks for finally opening my eyes :eek:

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO CORRECT MY REVIEW

After reviewing many many many pics of Sapphire beach on the net I can safely say that I was FOOLED and did NOT go to Sapphire beach.

The cabby who drove us to the beach did not bring us to the Sapphire beach :mad:

I can understand the position some have taken against my review.....:cool:

If I go to St-Thomas again, I will try to try Sapphire beach.....

This really pisses me off.....to be fooled on maybe a "once in a life time" trip for us.....

....now if I can just find what beach we were dropped at....I could post my review at the right place .......

sebas if there was a resort with little shade and poor snorkeling you were at either the Best Western Emerald Resort in Lindbergh Bay, or the Marriott Resort at Morningstar Beach. These are both on either side of the cruise docks. Decent enough beaches but definitely not like Sapphire and the other East End beaches.

Look at pics of these 2 beaches to determine where you were. If neither of these it would have to be Secret Harbor except that the snorkeling is good there.

Thanks for your correction. We are planning on going to Sapphire in April and I was somewhat confused over your review also. Did you find out what beach you were actually at? I hope you get to return soon to check out Sapphire Beach :) Now I know to make sure the taxi takes me to the right beach :D Review to follow....

sebas-so sorry that you were taken to the wrong place. That's what had everyone confused. While everyone may not have the same opinions of a place, yours varied so much from everyone else s that we were concerned (not trying to bash you, your opinion, or your experience). Things just didn't add up and the place you described just didn't sound like Sapphire Beach. That's what was throwing me off. :(

I'm glad you at least found that the beach your were at was not the same as the one here.

I really hope some day you can get back to St Thomas and experience Sapphire beach. It's so beautiful there. :)

Please allow me to write to my fellow Sebas030 in french....

Salut

Premièrement, je ne voulais pas t'insulter sur mon précédent message, tu remarqueras que j'ai mis des bonhomme-clin d'œil....

Ce n'est pas le fait d'avoir une opinion différente mais plutôt sur des éléments qui ne reflétait pas la situation de la plage Sapphire.... J'ai été à la plage voilà 1 semaine et a aucun endroit, on entre dans l'eau pour se retrouver l'eau jusqu'au cou... pour ce qui est de l'ombre, on a pas besoin de parasol puisqu'il y a tellement d'arbres.... et pour les chaises, c'est fou la quantité de chaises qu'il y a.....

Les autres éléments peuvent changer selon la journée, tel que le snorkeling, les poissons, la quantité de personnes... et la vielle dame et l'alcool... Je t'avoue que sur Sapphire, lorsque la dame met de l'alcool, elle n'y va pas de main morte.... ;) c'est l'inverse des bars d'ici....

Un feeling personnel me fait croire que si Sapphire devient trop bondée de monde, les autres plages doivent être terriblement "crowdé". Sapphire est assez loin donc les personnes vont aux plages plus proches du port.... Lors de notre escapade, il n'y avait qu'un bateau au port et il n'y avait à peine une centaine de personnes sur la plage....

C'est vraiment dommage que tu te sois retrouvé sur une autre plage.... toutefois, celle-ci vaut la peine d'y aller.... nous repartons en croisière en Décembre et il y a de fortes chances que nous y retournerons...

Encore, je me répète, je ne cherchais pas à t'insulter mais juste te taquiner....c'est probablement mon anglais qui est un peu pourri qui fait que tu as interprété mes mots, j'en suis désolé...

Comme dernier point, nous sommes, je pense, aussi civilisées que les Norvégiens... ;)

@+ mon ami....

I agree, if Sapphire is crowded, I can only imagine what the other well-known beaches are like. Sapphire is far enough from the cruise port and I don't think it is highly advertised for many people to pick that place over another highly advertised by the cruise ship lines beach.

I like your thought...we are civilized Norwegians. :)

Well, sebas' situation has me concerned. We were planning to go to Sapphire Beach in two weeks. How do we know that's where we will actually get dropped off???? Are there certain reputable taxis that we should be looking for? How long should the drive be from the cruise centre to Sapphire?

Edited by jtdlmc

Well, sebas' situation has me concerned. We were planning to go to Sapphire Beach in two weeks. How do we know that's where we will actually get dropped off???? Are there certain reputable taxis that we should be looking for? How long should the drive be from the cruise centre to Sapphire?

I CAN'T SAY....since I was not driven to the right beach...how far it is REALLY from the ship..???

We took a taxi right at the pier and were asked to change taxi in the shopping area...maybe this should have been a warning light for us ??

We were NOT at the main pier ( Carnival had a crippled ship there I think ) and we had to dock at an other terminal maybe 10 minutes away from the main pier...

I think my bad experience was kinda unique here, so.....don't worry, look for sign and ask questions if you are in doubt.

Have fun !!

Please allow me to write to my fellow Sebas030 in french....

Salut

Premièrement, je ne voulais pas t'insulter sur mon précédent message, tu remarqueras que j'ai mis des bonhomme-clin d'œil....

Ce n'est pas le fait d'avoir une opinion différente mais plutôt sur des éléments qui ne reflétait pas la situation de la plage Sapphire.... J'ai été à la plage voilà 1 semaine et a aucun endroit, on entre dans l'eau pour se retrouver l'eau jusqu'au cou... pour ce qui est de l'ombre, on a pas besoin de parasol puisqu'il y a tellement d'arbres.... et pour les chaises, c'est fou la quantité de chaises qu'il y a.....

Les autres éléments peuvent changer selon la journée, tel que le snorkeling, les poissons, la quantité de personnes... et la vielle dame et l'alcool... Je t'avoue que sur Sapphire, lorsque la dame met de l'alcool, elle n'y va pas de main morte.... ;) c'est l'inverse des bars d'ici....

Un feeling personnel me fait croire que si Sapphire devient trop bondée de monde, les autres plages doivent être terriblement "crowdé". Sapphire est assez loin donc les personnes vont aux plages plus proches du port.... Lors de notre escapade, il n'y avait qu'un bateau au port et il n'y avait à peine une centaine de personnes sur la plage....

C'est vraiment dommage que tu te sois retrouvé sur une autre plage.... toutefois, celle-ci vaut la peine d'y aller.... nous repartons en croisière en Décembre et il y a de fortes chances que nous y retournerons...

Encore, je me répète, je ne cherchais pas à t'insulter mais juste te taquiner....c'est probablement mon anglais qui est un peu pourri qui fait que tu as interprété mes mots, j'en suis désolé...

Comme dernier point, nous sommes, je pense, aussi civilisées que les Norvégiens... ;)

@+ mon ami....

From a fellow-Montrealer to another...the boards say that we can only post in English, I'm afraid. This post is likely to go "poof". Sorry :(

We will be in St. Thomas next Monday and I also am worried how will I know I am at Sapphire Beach? We have been to St. John and Emerald Beach and really want to go to Sapphire Beach this time.

We will be in St. Thomas next Monday and I also am worried how will I know I am at Sapphire Beach? We have been to St. John and Emerald Beach and really want to go to Sapphire Beach this time.

There is a big hill from the main road that goes down to the entrance of the resort, where there is a circular drive in front of the resort which is the drop off and pick up area. There is a sign that says "Sapphire Beach" in the circular garden in the middle of the drive. You will walk a few steps through a sort of breezeway and be on the beach. The beach is lined with Seagrape Trees creating a ton of natural shade and a wonderful sea breeze will hit you. Marvelous! The drive from Crown Bay is about 45 minutes, a little less form Havensight.

Here is a picture of the sign I spoke of:

DSC02850-L.jpg

When I am there May 1 (one month from today!) I will take some pictures of the entrance area so that people going after me will better recognize where they are. I think the unfortunate experience of the poster who was taken to the wrong beach was the exception, not the rule. I hope that cabbie can be identified int he future and reported as it gives a bad name to the other honest cabbies working the area.:(

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

sebas is right, his problem was a unique one, that's the first time I've ever heard of that happening and we've cruised there and stayed there several times. Definitely unacceptable but unique. The driver may try to recommend another beach that's more convenient for him but stick with Sapphire.

You will see a sign that says Sapphire Beach at the top of the hill before you turn off the road into the drive. You will then see 6 red-roofed buildings that make up the Sapphire beach Resort & Marina, and the marina will be off to the right.

Sunny I don't even recognize that photo and we just stayed there again in Jan! Do you know how old that is? I thought it was the guard shack but it looks too nice! :o

We have spent two land vacations at Sapphire Beach, in a wonderful, well maintained condo. Every time we take a cab to check out other beaches, our cabbies tell us that Sapphire is the prettiest beach on the island and they ask us why we are leaving it. I agree. Magen's is pretty, Secret Harbor is nice, Coki's water is so blue, but Sapphire is the best. The views and the water are gorgeous. No, there is nothing fancy there, but there is so much more. We are going back in March 2014.

Edited by 2PinaColadas

We too have spent a week in a beautiful condo owner by wonderful people at Sapphire. The first time me was just to relax after spending time in the BVI and before flying home. We had looked at condos for sale at Secret Harbor during previous visits to STT and we knew that SH was not our spot for a rental. After that first stay we returned to Sapphire "on purpose" last January for another week stay. It is the beach with the most character in my opinion. Coki is a bit nicer as beaches go, but Sapphire has the whole package.

Here is a picture from up toward the road, you will be able to see the condo's lined up with the red roofs Bluewater refers to:

Thurs,+11.15.+St.+Thomas.+View+of+Saphire+Beach.JPG

You will go down this hill to get there and the turnaround area (as the other poster posted is there). We were there toward the fall in 2010 and the guard shack was there, but I don't remember if it looked like that or not. I do remember the turnaroudn because we came out and sat down on around it and as soon as we sat down the cab was there motioning us to come over already. lol So, I was unable to get pictures of the entire front like I wanted to. :(

There is a big hill from the main road that goes down to the entrance of the resort, where there is a circular drive in front of the resort which is the drop off and pick up area. There is a sign that says "Sapphire Beach" in the circular garden in the middle of the drive. You will walk a few steps through a sort of breezeway and be on the beach. The beach is lined with Seagrape Trees creating a ton of natural shade and a wonderful sea breeze will hit you. Marvelous! The drive from Crown Bay is about 45 minutes, a little less form Havensight.

Thanks for the picture so we can see something familiar when arriving. Someone may have mentioned but what is the taxi fare from Crown Bay to Sapphire? Thanks