Review of Sapphire Beach

aimathy

We were at Sapphire on Jan 30' date=' 2013. The water color was gorgeous, nice views of other islands. Was fairly windy this day, so snorkeling was rough and took a lot of energy. Tried to find turtles in the grass and never got back in to look over coral area. People I talked with said it wasn't clear that day. NCL is now bringing groups to Sapphire, one group was there when we arrived, another came later in the day. It did not seem too crowded. We did not purchase food, just drinks and fresh coconuts to try the coconut milk. The bathrooms were ok to use just sandy, but you are at the beach! One concern for families though is that the men's and women's bathrooms are right next to each other. If the men don't close the door (which many didn't) the urinals are in clear sight. It was a nice beach day, easily done on your own from a cruise ship. Jolly was our taxi driver and he returned right on time to take us back. We asked to go to the drive overlooking the port (skyline drive?) which we tipped extra for. Well worth the visit. Thanks, Jolly and thanks Blue Water for the suggestions at help for beach choice.[/quote']

Thank you, and happy to hear you enjoyed Sapphire, it's our favorite spot when we're on St Thomas. Hopefully one day the new resort management can restore the restaurant and pool bar to its original state.

Is this the same as the Paradise Point?

Skyline Drive is a road that affords nice views, Paradise Point is a place overlooking Havensight and the bay that has a bar / restaurant and other attractions. Great view and their signature drink is the Bailey's Bushwacker. You can take the tram up (Skyride) or drive. It's a great spot to go after a beach or excursion before returning to the ship. It's especially convenient to folks docking at Havensight because they can walk to the tram. you can usually purchase tram tickets from your excursions desk for $18pp roundtrip.

We were at Sapphire on Jan 30' date=' 2013. The water color was gorgeous, nice views of other islands. Was fairly windy this day, so snorkeling was rough and took a lot of energy. Tried to find turtles in the grass and never got back in to look over coral area. People I talked with said it wasn't clear that day. NCL is now bringing groups to Sapphire, one group was there when we arrived, another came later in the day. It did not seem too crowded. We did not purchase food, just drinks and fresh coconuts to try the coconut milk. The bathrooms were ok to use just sandy, but you are at the beach! One concern for families though is that the men's and women's bathrooms are right next to each other. If the men don't close the door (which many didn't) the urinals are in clear sight. It was a nice beach day, easily done on your own from a cruise ship. Jolly was our taxi driver and he returned right on time to take us back. We asked to go to the drive overlooking the port (skyline drive?) which we tipped extra for. Well worth the visit. Thanks, Jolly and thanks Blue Water for the suggestions at help for beach choice.[/quote']

Hi M & M,

Can you tell me about how much you paid for the taxi ride (round trip) to Sapphire Beach? Also, I like the idea of going to Skyline Drive for a little side trip on the way back. Were you able to stop at the top, have a drink and spend a few minutes?

Thanks for any input.

Not to interrupt but the overlook on Skyline Drive is just a small parking area with a nice view of downtown and the cruise ship harbors. Drakes Seat offers a view of Magens Bay in the other direction. You can get a drink as mentioned above at Paradise Point.

Taxi from Havensight (WICO) dock to Sapphire is $18pp roundrtrip, a couple more $ from Crown Bay.

Not to interrupt but the overlook on Skyline Drive is just a small parking area with a nice view of downtown and the cruise ship harbors. Drakes Seat offers a view of Magens Bay in the other direction. You can get a drink as mentioned above at Paradise Point.

Taxi from Havensight (WICO) dock to Sapphire is $18pp roundrtrip, a couple more $ from Crown Bay.

Ah, Thank you blue water.

I mis-understood. I was thinking that Skyline Drive took you to the top of Paradise Point as an alternative to the tram ride.

Thanks again for clearing it up for me.

There are 2 places to get food and drink - the Sapphire Grill behind the marina and the Banana Cabana beach grill. They both have runners on the beach taking drink and food orders. The BC has a very good mahi mahi sandwich and frozen drinks, and the dive center also sells cheaper beer and rum punches.

• 2 weeks later...
I've cruised to St. Lucia and St. Kitts, but never been to St. Martin.... what information are you looking for?

Just some recommended tours or things that are a "must see or do". Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

My Southern Caribbean cruise to those islands was back in December 2008, and for St. Lucia, we booked Cosol Tours. Excellent island tour from beginning to end (included visiting a 'drive-in' volcano park, waterfall and a boat ride over to Jalousie Beach), plus a short stop in a banana plantation; reasonably priced for the entire day and includes refreshments. Also, they are recommended by other members of Cruise Critic.

Their website is www cosol-tours dot com (check their 'Island Tours' section)

For St. Kitts, we also booked independently with Grey's Island Excursions. This tour took us around the island, giving a history lesson of the city of Basseterre, then we headed to the beautiful 'Romney Manor-Caribelle Batik', the Brimstone Fortress, Timothy Hill overlook (which is where you'll definitely want to take pictures) and our final destination was Cockleshell Beach. The beach was okay, but we didn't spend time there swimming; just got something to eat at a restaurant there, before heading back to the ship.

Their website is: www thenfordgrey dot com.

I thought the tours were fantastic, as for service and price. You can check here on CC for others' opinions, since it's been 4 years for us, but I remember what an awesome time we had.

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

Skyline Drive is a road that affords nice views, Paradise Point is a place overlooking Havensight and the bay that has a bar / restaurant and other attractions. Great view and their signature drink is the Bailey's Bushwacker. You can take the tram up (Skyride) or drive. It's a great spot to go after a beach or excursion before returning to the ship. It's especially convenient to folks docking at Havensight because they can walk to the tram. you can usually purchase tram tickets from your excursions desk for $18pp roundtrip.

We've been to 'Paradise Point' multiple times.... for the views, more pics and the bushwackers are to die for. :D

LOVE Sapphire Beach and so far it remains my favorite port from our eastern Caribbean cruise.

IMG_1709-M.jpg

IMG_1710-M.jpg

IMG_1875-M.jpg

IMG_1870-M.jpg

IMG_2012-M.jpg

Awesome snorkeling right from the beach. If you want tons of pictures, here are all of the pictures I took that day including snorkeling pictures.

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#!i=1017703050&k=nhpoV

I've stayed in St Kitts and been there three times on cruise ships. My favourite tour by far is the catamaran to Nevis. You sail a while, stop of around a cove for some snorkelling, then sail on to Nevis. Once there they cook a delicious BBQ whilst you can swim and relax. First time there we were only ones there. Third time there, they had jet skis etc along the beach. Still amazing day out though.

We've only cruised to St Lucia and St Kitts. We plan to stay there soon and from our research I would choose the land and sea excursion that takes you on an island tour, toma beach, and and back to Castries on a cat. Sounds like a great day. For St Kitts we like the day sail to Nevis and lunch on the beach there.

We've cruised to St Marteen and stayed on St Martin and there I would recommend a little time in Philipsburg then the Golden Eagle daysail, one of our favorites. Check out sailingsxm dot com. We did their 1/2 daysail on a cruise and eir full-day while staying there. They are docked between you and town.

Last time we were in St. Kitts we went to Carembola Beach Club - wonderful place. But the day sail to Nevis sounds interesting. Do you have any contact info./company name? Thanks.

Awesome snorkeling right from the beach. If you want tons of pictures, here are all of the pictures I took that day including snorkeling pictures.

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Vacation/4th-day-St-Maarten-1/13875332_BZdcm#!i=1017703050&k=nhpoV

Thank you for sharing your photos. they were wonderful. They brought me right back to my days at Sapphire - and made me so anxious to be returning soon.:D

And congratulations on your slot machine win. That certainly was a perfect end to a perfect day.:cool:

For some reason Godfrey has been directing customers away from Sapphire Beach for years. I have been there twice since he has been speaking bad about it and it is still my favorite beach ever. I don't know why he says it's so bad. I am sure he is an excellent tour guide. I have seen many good reviews about him. But in this area I disagree.!

Last year some of the locals at the pier in St. Thomas discouraged us from going to the Boatyard so we didn't go but later met some folks who did go to the Boatyard and they had a great time! Guess where I will be going this year? You guessed it, the Boatyard. I don't know what the story is but the locals seem to direct you to certain beaches for whatever reason!

Last time we were in St. Kitts we went to Carembola Beach Club - wonderful place. But the day sail to Nevis sounds interesting. Do you have any contact info./company name? Thanks.

Ksswinggal please give me the details on the Carembola Beach Club! I am looking for a resort/pool with a bar and food on St. Kitts. Thanks

Last year some of the locals at the pier in St. Thomas discouraged us from going to the Boatyard so we didn't go but later met some folks who did go to the Boatyard and they had a great time! Guess where I will be going this year? You guessed it, the Boatyard. I don't know what the story is but the locals seem to direct you to certain beaches for whatever reason!

Kickbacks? I don't know if that would be true or not, but it is the only thing that makes sense to me.:confused:

I know from taking taxis on our first few cruises to STT that drivers do try to steer people to particular beaches or other destinations to help support friends there. It sounds like that is the case with Godfrey as nothing else makes sense (we do appreciate him doing that since Sapphire is a little quieter as a result). But that happens all over the world and I don't haveva problem with that at all as long as they're honest in their recommendation.

Where the heck is the boatyard?

In Barbados.

The Boatyard is fantastic. My two boys (12 and 14) love the pontoon type water features for climbing and jumping off. The bar does great cocktails and food and beach is great.

I used to go to the Malibu beach (Now Cockspur!!) but Boatyard every time for me now and it's easily walkable from Bridgetown.

LOVE Sapphire Beach and so far it remains my favorite port from our eastern Caribbean cruise.

IMG_1709-M.jpg

IMG_1710-M.jpg

IMG_1875-M.jpg

IMG_1870-M.jpg

IMG_2012-M.jpg

Great pics.... brings back memories. I can't wait to get back there in a few weeks.