Booking on board a cruise?

deedee290

The current Passages program does not include free upgrades. Have people still been able to get them when booking onboard?

Sorry, I'd forgotten about that change.

You'd still get it by virtue of being a captains' club member, assuming the person asking is one and it's a regular stateroom, not a suite. You could also get this ashore though.

Thanks for your answers. My particular question is if I book on board on Feb. 25 for a 3 day B2B starting on Mar. 3 (assuming cabin available) do I get the 123 OBC in addition to the on board booking OBC? If yes how much would the on board booking OBC be for a 3 day cruise?

Robert

FYI, after I posted yesterday, I called X. Now they're allowing ppl to combine "old" Open Passages with promos, BUT the OBC given will be the new amounts for Open Passages, not the amounts stated on the "old" Open Passages.

Correct, this is what I was told too. I bought a Celebrity Passage in Jan 2012 and just used it to book. I did get the 123 and a category upgrade but that had to do with being a Captain's Club member. I was told I will also receive OBC but I need to contact the TA (that I switched it to) so I can see it since I really can't see anything online since I switched. They do say it will take a few days to post and I just booked the trip.

enjoy

Can someone please explain this "Open Passage" to me? I want to go the Mediterranean in fall of 2015, and when I asked on board about this, I was told the prices come out in March, and was not offered anything further. I have only cruised this one time, and loved it.

Am I wise to book my cruise as soon as prices come out, or should I wait? It will take me a while to pay for something that pricey, which is why I want to book early.

You'd still get it by virtue of being a captains' club member, assuming the person asking is one and it's a regular stateroom, not a suite. You could also get this ashore though.

I've never gotten the free upgrade... do you have to specifically tell the TA to do it?

If they book while on a cruise you are going to be a Captain's Club member on your next cruise, whether you were or not starting that cruise so you should be able to get it.

I've never gotten the free upgrade... do you have to specifically tell the TA to do it?

Must be requested at time of original booking.

If they book while on a cruise you are going to be a Captain's Club member on your next cruise, whether you were or not starting that cruise so you should be able to get it.

As I understand, you can only upgrade a little. Like you can't go from a 1A to a C3. I booked C3 and they upgraded me to a C2. When asked they said I could not go from C2 to C1. So as I understand it, if you book a 1A, C1 or AQ1 there is no upgrade available because that would put you into another category.

enjoy,

Duane

Can someone please explain this "Open Passage" to me? I want to go the Mediterranean in fall of 2015, and when I asked on board about this, I was told the prices come out in March, and was not offered anything further. I have only cruised this one time, and loved it.

Am I wise to book my cruise as soon as prices come out, or should I wait? It will take me a while to pay for something that pricey, which is why I want to book early.

The Open Passage certificate is a voucher for a future cruise that you buy when on board a cruise. You pay $100 (non-refundable) and in exchange, you get a reduced deposit when you actually book the cruise, and some on-board credit.

I posted a link to the Celebrity brochure a few posts ago. It should explain everything.

As for booking when the cruise comes out, if you know what you want, there's no reason not to. If the price drops, you can get the lower price by asking your travel agent (or Celebrity if you booked directly with them). You don't have to pay Celebrity anything more until final payment is due.

As I understand, you can only upgrade a little. Like you can't go from a 1A to a C3. I booked C3 and they upgraded me to a C2. When asked they said I could not go from C2 to C1. So as I understand it, if you book a 1A, C1 or AQ1 there is no upgrade available because that would put you into another category.

enjoy,

Duane

I booked a 2C to Bermuda, so in theory I should have been given a 2B for the same price. I asked my TA and she said that she would ask Celebrity. I know that the website certainly does not automatically offer it when you book online. I told the TA not to go to a lot of trouble, since my plan is to rebook the cruise while on board Silhouette and will ask about the cabin upgrade at that time. It would be nice to get non-obstructed view for the price of obstructed.

Also the large agency I booked the Silhouette cruise with did not offer the upgrade to me (I had booked a concierge guarantee and ended up in a C2, but it was the same price as C3 when I booked so I could have just taken the free upgrade to a C2 to begin with).

Edited by MisterBill99

Wouldn't want to recommend something like that, unless it's known that it's been given. It's a possibility, but equally possible that it wouldn't be granted, since you don't actually become eligible for that benefit until after the cruise.

Of course, they could then get an Open passage, and plan to book later as a workaround, though at the risk of fare and availability changes.

Wouldn't want to recommend something like that, unless it's known that it's been given. It's a possibility, but equally possible that it wouldn't be granted, since you don't actually become eligible for that benefit until after the cruise.

Of course, they could then get an Open passage, and plan to book later as a workaround, though at the risk of fare and availability changes.

Well, I'm already a CC member (Elite after this cruise), so it's a non-issue for me, but friends we are sailing with will be on their first Celebrity cruse, although they've done two on Royal Caribbean. It seems that does not qualify them for anything other than Preview level in the CC. They might be booking another cruise while onboard (they want to go to Alaska), so this would be relevant for them.

The problem with the Open Passage is that you get less OBC than you do with the Reserved Passage. If the LA is unable/unwilling to give the free upgrade to Preview CC members, then whoever is booking would need to determine if the upgrade is more important than the higher level of OBC and decide whether to book on board or get an Open Passage and book the following week.

Another question is whether it is possible to get the CC people to give you the upgrade a few days after booking. If anyone has tried this, please let us know if it worked. I know that my TA was going to contact Celebrity to ask about the reservation we made a couple of weeks ago, although as I think I mentioned, I told her not to go to a lot of trouble since it is likely that we will be rebooking onboard.

Edited by MisterBill99

Here's a different question. I know that I can tell Celebrity not to automatically assign my new reservation to the agent I booked the current cruise with. However, can I give them a different agent to give it to instead, so I can avoid having to transfer it after I get back? My TA said that if I gave them my phone number, they could find her in their system and assign the new reservation directly to her (she is a one person agency). Is that true?

We just booked B2B cruises using the old Open Passage certificates and it became very confusing. It took three different phone calls to Celebrity and several emails and I am still not sure it is correct. We had no trouble getting the one category upgrade for Captain's Club, but the first agent would only give us the OBC as specified on the new issue, which was far less. When we got the printed invoice it charged $480 deposit for the second passenger, instead of another $100. Second phone call said that was wrong but she couldn't change it, so would send us an email saying that no further deposit was needed. This email didn't arrive. The OBC is now correct.

Today, another call resulted in an email which had no reference number or cruise details, but said that no more deposit was required.

Now my name is on the first cruise, DH's name on the second one and they are only asking for $100 deposit on each.

We do plan to travel together, so I hope this will work out. We usually do our own booking, then transfer it but after this experience I may consider using a TA immediately!!

Edited by smtcan

Here's a different question. I know that I can tell Celebrity not to automatically assign my new reservation to the agent I booked the current cruise with. However, can I give them a different agent to give it to instead, so I can avoid having to transfer it after I get back? My TA said that if I gave them my phone number, they could find her in their system and assign the new reservation directly to her (she is a one person agency). Is that true?

Yes, I have done the exact same thing and had no issue. Also did it via telephone number as the TA suggested, and it was found easily. Was all very quick!

Hi there. FYI, I'll be on the 2/9 SIL as well! Seems that we have similar questions. I can tell you that I got the CC 1-step upgrade applied to my reservation AFTER booking a cruise. I'm also planning to assign a sailing I book onboard the Silhouette to a different TA than the one I booked SIL with. I don't think that should be an issue...don't see why it would be.

Just an FYI, I noticed you're from NY. I'm flying out of LGA Sat at 9am on Delta. You?

Hi there. FYI, I'll be on the 2/9 SIL as well! Seems that we have similar questions. I can tell you that I got the CC 1-step upgrade applied to my reservation AFTER booking a cruise. I'm also planning to assign a sailing I book onboard the Silhouette to a different TA than the one I booked SIL with. I don't think that should be an issue...don't see why it would be.

Just an FYI, I noticed you're from NY. I'm flying out of LGA Sat at 9am on Delta. You?

Maybe I'll see you with the LA on Sunday. I figured I'll try to do it early before I forget and before they get busy (although on Constellation last summer they never seemed all that busy).

Not flying out of LGA. HPN (Westchester) Thursday at 3:30. We have friends who live in Hollywood, FL who we're sailing with and will spend a few nights in their guest room before the cruise.

Edited by MisterBill99

Yes, I have done the exact same thing and had no issue. Also did it via telephone number as the TA suggested, and it was found easily. Was all very quick!

Good to hear. I guess the TA knows what she is talking about (even though she missed the one category upgrade) :).

Edited by MisterBill99

It DOES GUARANTEE you a specific cabin, on a specific cruise, with upgrades and an OBC. If that is foremost in your list of priorities, go for it. :cool:

It also gets you the "privilege" of paying whatever (usually VERY high) price Celebrity puts on their cruises at "rollout." :confused:

Unless it is an EXTREMELY popular, low supply/high demand itinerary, that price will ALMOST CERTAINLY drop (quite often by a SIGNIFICANT amount (50% to 75%)) prior to sailing. :eek:

If pricing is a priority, (and you have flexibility in timing) shopping for cruises through online sites can net HUGE savings that most people refuse to believe possible. ;)

(Like $499pp for a 15 day transatlantic this past December and 599pp for one this April)

Just curious what kind of cabins did you get for the $499 and $599pp?

I'm really confused. I thought that a cruise booked on board is combinable with one other promotion (eg, 123). Is that not true?

Also, what's this multi-category upgrade you guys are talking about? I know that if you're Select you get a 1-step upgrade WITHIN a category...never heard of moving up 3 levels or whatever by booking on board.

Under the "old" system, if you booked on board, you got upgraded up to three levels within categories. Many used that to book C3 and get a C1. They stopped that and only allowed you to upgrade for c3 to c2 for free. The multilevel upgrade never applied to aqua or suites.

I believe that is no longer the case...and the only upgrade you get is the captain's club one, if you qualify...however it now applies to aqua class.

That captain's club upgrade is (supposedly) only applicable if you request it at time of booking.

The new upgrade applies on or off the ship and whether you book with celebrity directly or use a TA.

Maybe I'll see you with the LA on Sunday. I figured I'll try to do it early before I forget and before they get busy (although on Constellation last summer they never seemed all that busy).

Not flying out of LGA. HPN (Westchester) Thursday at 3:30. We have friends who live in Hollywood, FL who we're sailing with and will spend a few nights in their guest room before the cruise.

Yes, I'll be doing my next cruise booking early too! If I see anyone else there, I'll just start mumbling, "Bill?" and see if anyone responds...LOL.

I'll be the guy with the Cruise Critic lanyard :). Will you be at the Sail-away party at 4:30?

I will look for you! Not sure about the cc party...might have to pop in to meet ya! I've not really been following the roll call. 4:30 Sun? Where?