3 days in Fort Lauderdale before Cruise in March!

Camlaura

I've heard a lot about the embassy suites...and it is a Hotwire listed property. I'm pretty sure the one I'm contemplating is either tabor the Hilton Doubletree Suites.

Very interested in hitting Total Wine! Couldn't do that before our cruise in January because we arrived on a late flight the night before and stayed out at the airport!

My favourite Pinot Grigio in the 1.5L bottle is $8.99! At home it s $25.99!

I've stayed at the DoubleTree on Sunrise, I like the property, it's a short walk to the beach, and there is a really nice mall next to it with some very good dining. All the rooms are suites with a nice kitchen area, stocked with cooking utensils and dishes. The Atlantic consistently gets good reviews as well.

What is your priority, being close to the beach or close to the cruise terminal? We stayed at the Hilton Marina once post cruise, and I didn't care for the area, it was a long walk to everything, unless you wanted to cab it all the time. You also are not near the beach. Although the pool area at that hotel was very nice, but the rooms, I felt were very small. We stayed at the Hilton Beach once as well, and that is a beautiful hotel....very $$$ right across from the beach, with a beautiful pool. Anything along A1A will be pretty $$$ but it is a beautiful area. You should check out the FLL forum on Trip Advisor you will get a lot of good information there as well.

Good Luck

Ritz Carlton:

Contacted GM prior to cruise, requested a seperate bath and shower, unlike some rooms that only have showers or tub/shower combo at this 4 star property, was told no problem.

Arrival, check in was dealyed until 6 PM, and given shower/tub combo room with no apology, and GM was who checked us in. She was aware I booked this hotel based on what she told me.

Pool was closed at 3 PM for private event found out after checking in. Never again.

W Resort Ft Lauderdale:

Paid for 2 nights just to check in at 9 am (so we booked the day before) and was checking out at 2 PM (for flight).We were told by the resort we needed to do this to be sure of early check in. We were really using this a place between disembarkation and a very long flight.

Upon arrival, our room was not ready, would not be ready till 12 noon. (How does this happen when you book the day before)?

They finally told me they had given the room away, even when I contacted hotel GM and front desk weeks before to make sure they were aware of why I booked the room the night before as well. I even had printed emails to prove this. Room was dirty when they gave it to us. I was not going to wait any longer.

Hotel contiuned to charge us "no show fee" until the third week of December (we stayed there Nov 11). Each time it was credited, we were charged again x 5.

Beware of this resort.

We did JUST recieve a nice apology note with a comp stay of two nights in a suite for the future. I wonder what made them do this after so long?

Hyatt Place Dania Beach:

Room had to be cleaned after check in, it was pretty filthy, but after that,

Loved it.

Hyatt Place 17th St:

Loved It. Amazing staff. Worked with them 1 year prior to stay. I can not say enough. They went out of their way to reserve their guest kitchen, so we could have a pizza party. They even helped us find a place to order from. Really loved this place and location.

Looking forward to Embassy Suites and Mattiott Harbor Beach next.

Thank You everyone! You are giving me info on all the hotels I've been looking at!

Right now I'm thinking the Doubletree (gallery One)....Or Embassy Suiites, and I'm pretty sure they are the Hotwire option right now!

Thank You everyone! You are giving me info on all the hotels I've been looking at!

Right now I'm thinking the Doubletree (gallery One)....Or Embassy Suiites, and I'm pretty sure they are the Hotwire option right now!

Those look great!

We are also looking at the Hilton Ft lauderdale Beach Resort.

Just one thing to be aware of at Gallery One, if your room is on the side of the draw bridge (that's usually the side of the hotel with a water view) the noise of the bridge going up and down may bother you if you are on a lower floor. This seems to be a complaint on TA. The other option is a street view.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! It's me again!

We have 2 options...both are hotwire. For a 3 day stay would you do Embassy Suites for 67.00 per night, or pier 66 for 118????

Our inclination is to take Pier 66 rated a 4 star and on the water....but is there a big enough difference between the 2 for double the price? Forb1 night it would be a no brainer...but for 3 it is a little different...any thoughts?

I am trying to get bearings for where Atlantic Resort is located in relation to Port Everglades.

It is about 1.5 miles from the Galleria Mall: if you head to the ocean from the mall on Sunrise Highway and take a right on A1A, the hotel is just south of there. It is on A1A between Sunrise and Las Olas.

It is about 5 miles north of Port Everglades.

Hi everyone! It's me again!

We have 2 options...both are hotwire. For a 3 day stay would you do Embassy Suites for 67.00 per night, or pier 66 for 118????

Our inclination is to take Pier 66 rated a 4 star and on the water....but is there a big enough difference between the 2 for double the price? Forb1 night it would be a no brainer...but for 3 it is a little different...any thoughts?

I would take the Hyatt. But note, even though it is on the water, it is not a beach but rather a marina.

I would highly recommend staying at the Westin Diplomat. Its about 10 miles south of the cruiseport/airport in Hollywood ($30+- cab ride) but its an absolutely gorgeous beach front 4* resort. It's normally around $350+ a night but you can score it on Priceline for $140 right now give or take in March (I'm staying there this March also) Just look for a 4 star beachfront hotel on Priceline or Hotwire - Be sure it says spa though on ammenities because the Crown Plaza is there too (although its a great hotel also.) Happy Sailing :)

I would highly recommend staying at the Westin Diplomat. Its about 10 miles south of the cruiseport/airport in Hollywood ($30+- cab ride) but its an absolutely gorgeous beach front 4* resort. It's normally around $350+ a night but you can score it on Priceline for $140 right now give or take in March (I'm staying there this March also) Just look for a 4 star beachfront hotel on Priceline or Hotwire - Be sure it says spa though on ammenities because the Crown Plaza is there too (although its a great hotel also.) Happy Sailing :)

Hi Denlishen!

I checked...and for our dates what I think is the Westin Diplomat is $218.....a little too pricey for us for a precruise stay. I will keep my eye on it though!

Thanks for the info!

Over the years we have stayed at

Hyatt Pier 66

Hilton beach Resort

Renaissance

Embassy Suites

Sheraton Yankee Clipper

The Atlantic hotel & Spa

The worst by far was the Embassy Suites - room was dark and dirty and staff unhelpful - but it's near the cruise terminal.

The best by far was the Atlantic hotel & Spa - lovely rooms and very helpful staff - great food in the restaurant - but pricey.

However there was a significant price difference.

I now live in Fort Lauderdale, but prior to moving here I cruised from here often. I finally discovered what I think is the best hotel in town, The Riverside. It is located on Las Olas and does not particularly cater to cruisers.

The old part of the hotel is my favorite, but there is also a new part build within the last seven years or so. The hotel is a classic. It is quite elegent and is located in the most fun and definitely chic part of town. There is great walking and loads of restaurants close by. For the beach just walk over to the watertaxi.

The hotel has a cafe type outdoor restaurant wonderful for people watching.

It is a short cab ride to Port Everglades. The Riverside is worth a stay even if you are not going on a cruise!

Ended up with Pier 66 on Hotwire!

For 118.00 it seems like a great deal. Could only get the first 2 nights at that, and have to find an el cheapo for the Friday...price increased to 265 for that night!

I also would love to know about the Trolley! We used one in Ft Myers in November and loved it!

I've stayed at the DoubleTree on Sunrise, I like the property, it's a short walk to the beach, and there is a really nice mall next to it with some very good dining. All the rooms are suites with a nice kitchen area, stocked with cooking utensils and dishes. The Atlantic consistently gets good reviews as well.

Hey, We are booked here for the last 4 days after our cruise in Mar. This is a Hilton Property right? Any other info you want to offer would be great. This hotel is across the street from the mall.

Thanks;)

It's expensive, but if you want to be on the water and have a beach, the Marriott Harbor Beach has the best location. I think it is the only hotel in FLL, near PE, that is directly on the beach. Very nice hotel, with beautiful public areas. The rooms are typical Marriott.

Walk out the back door and there is a great pool area, followed by the beach. They have a "tiki hut" style bar on the beach as well as people to take care of your lounge chairs and food orders.

It's also fun to walk down the beach (about 1/2 mile) to the inlet and watch the ships sail out. It is about the same view as the Port Everglades Webcam.

The only downside to this property, is it really isn't within walking distance of any shops or restaurants. However, it is just a short cab ride away from everything, including about five minutes over to PE. It is always my first choice, due to location.

It's expensive, but if you want to be on the water and have a beach, the Marriott Harbor Beach has the best location. I think it is the only hotel in FLL, near PE, that is directly on the beach. Very nice hotel, with beautiful public areas. The rooms are typical Marriott.

Walk out the back door and there is a great pool area, followed by the beach. They have a "tiki hut" style bar on the beach as well as people to take care of your lounge chairs and food orders.

It's also fun to walk down the beach (about 1/2 mile) to the inlet and watch the ships sail out. It is about the same view as the Port Everglades Webcam.

The only downside to this property, is it really isn't within walking distance of any shops or restaurants. However, it is just a short cab ride away from everything, including about five minutes over to PE. It is always my first choice, due to location.

Thank you jmkennett for the info (I had posted earlier today). I was beginning to think no one stayed there!! It looked like a nice place online. I know it is pricey, but it will be my "big 6-0" birthday on the pre-night (in November) and I wanted someplace a little special. Luckily HAL booked this place, although at a cost (:eek:). I had heard from another person who was from the UK a few weeks back on a "Wine Store" post that they have a shuttle to the shoppes that have the Publix and Total Wine store which would be very convenient. At least it would save the cab ride if they still have it. Thanks for your input about your experience. I will have to take that walk down the beach to see the Saturday night sailaway!:)

We love the Atlantic Resort and Spa in Ft. Lauderdale. It is right across from the street from the beach, but offers beautiful views of the beach and ocean. The food is delicious at their restaurant, and shopping and things to do are close by.

An excellent choice if your budget permits.

Embassy Suites on 17th is a good alternative.

Thank you jmkennett for the info (I had posted earlier today). I was beginning to think no one stayed there!! It looked like a nice place online. I know it is pricey, but it will be my "big 6-0" birthday on the pre-night (in November) and I wanted someplace a little special. Luckily HAL booked this place, although at a cost (:eek:). I had heard from another person who was from the UK a few weeks back on a "Wine Store" post that they have a shuttle to the shoppes that have the Publix and Total Wine store which would be very convenient. At least it would save the cab ride if they still have it. Thanks for your input about your experience. I will have to take that walk down the beach to see the Saturday night sailaway!:)

You are welcome! Due to the beach loaction, I think it is the best. There are plenty of stores on the way to the entrance at PE, just across the drawbridge. Very convenient.

Definitely take the walk down to the beach. It's one of the few places I've seen to get this type of vantage point and see this number of ships, from such a great setting. It's an event that the locals in the condos are involved with as well. Ringing of bells, horns, etc. Good fun!

The bad side of staying at the Marriott at the end of your cruise, is seeing your ship sail out, without you on it!

Hey, We are booked here for the last 4 days after our cruise in Mar. This is a Hilton Property right? Any other info you want to offer would be great. This hotel is across the street from the mall.

Thanks;)

I've stayed at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach, which is beautiful and right across the street from the beach. I've stayed at the Hilton Marina right near the Port, and I've stayed at the Double Tree which, overall I liked best. The Hilton Beach, and Hilton Marina, although both very beautiful properties with really nice pool areas the rooms were small. The location of the Hilton Beach was clearly my favorite, with a beautiful ocean front view.

The Double Tree I felt was very pretty with a small pool area that over looks the inter coastal. The rooms are all suites with a well stocked kitchenette. If you stay on one of the higher floors noise from the drawbridge should not be an issue. The rooms do not have a bathtub but rather a large shower, which for me was fine. The Galleria Mall is right next door with lots of restaurants. I think most if not all of the restaurants will deliver to the hotel. There is a Publix (grocery store) right across the street and a CVS (drug store). The beach is about 2 blocks and you have to walk over a draw bridge. Right along A1A you will also find a lot of restaurants and shops. You also have the option of taking the water taxi to Las Olas. There is a water taxi stop right at Double Tree Gallery One. If you plan on renting a car, it will cost you about $30 a day for valet parking, it's the only parking offered at the hotel. Most hotels in Fort Lauderdale charge about the same price for daily valet parking, some have cheaper rates for self service parking. If you have any further questions ask away, I hope I can give you the info you need.

Archived