Carnival Offers Generous Compensation to Triumph Passengers

LauraS

Not sure that refunding the cruise and a free future cruise is really " generous" I mean sure it's nice, but what about lost wages? Child care costs? Pet boarding? People who will be paying their mortgage late? There are so many other things to consider. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to take the hit of 5+ days off work unscheduled. For some people that could mean they can't pay a bill, they get fired, they have no more vacation or sick time for the rest of the year etc. It's short sighted to only look at the immediate when there is no doubt this will cause long lasting financial issues for at least some of the passengers for weeks or months to come. THAT is what is on my mind, not so much what they are going through now but the ripple affect that will take place once this is all over with.

I have cruised with Carnival several times, yet the Carnival Cheerleaders talking about this offer being generous are delusional at best!

Refund of current cruise – This was a given

Extra $500 – Oh so generous of Carnival! Right, I have some ocean front property to sell you in AZ

Refund of transportation – This is a given too.

However, MsConfetti is correct with everything said. I get 3 weeks of vacation every year. It has to be approved ahead of time. Would my company understand if something like this happened, yes! But, not everyone has that luxury. There are some people who get only 1 week a year. Their employer expects them back on the day they are scheduled. If they are not back, the company can, and some might, fire them. Is it right, no! Does it happen, yes!

People will also either have to figure out what to do with their kids who were left at home, or figure out how to help them catch up in school. The kids on the ship are missing more of their schooling than planned. For me, we fly my in-laws in to watch our kids. This means not only us having to change flights to get home, but changing 2 other airline tickets as well.

I am just saying every situation is different. Just because you have an understanding company, and adequate vacation time, not everyone has that luxury. Some of these folks may have saved up a long time for this trip, and will not get another chance. Some of these folks could lose their jobs over this. So their lives are turned upside down because of what was to be an enjoyable trip. So no, Carnival is not being generous. Carnival is doing just enough to try and cover their butt.

I haven't read this whole thread but I think it is all very generous. Remember, there's a reason we recommend people take out travel insurance. If you fall and break your leg going ziplining do you get thousands of dollars? Nope. You get ONLY what you are out. Nothing extra.

This was a freak accident that they most likely didn't see coming. We still have no clue what exactly caused it. People assume Carnival just repaired a bad hose or something last time and let the ship go. They could have overhauled the entire engine and some replacement part failed. I've had it happen on a car, how is a cruise ship any different?

For those that didn't take out travel insurance, well, shame on them, hopefully a lesson learned as I'm sure it would cover some of the missed worked depending on who they went through. But a free cruise, probably free second cruise, free drinks (I've heard mixed answers on alcohol being cut off but have heard all Coke products are free), free transportation, and $500? They are getting probably for a party of two close to $3000. And it happened on the last day of the cruise, so it's not like they ruined the entire cruise, they ruined 1/4 of it.

And the idea of transfering to another ship. Well, I laugh at that. Keep in mind this was one of their larger ships. Only the three new Dream class ships are larger. And you would have to send those ships out with almost no crew so you can transfer the crew over as well. Now you have a crew operating on a ship that they know nothing about. Let's not forget, people won't want to leave their luggage behind. So now you have everyone carrying luggage into the lifeboats which they are not designed to do. People would be greatly injured in doing that. Would you leave the Triumph with all of your belongings and hope to see them again in a few weeks? I would imagine alot of lost luggage unless everyone wants to wait till the Triumph gets back to an American port and then you would have to take time back off work to go pick it up.

I think Carnival is being much more generous than other cruise lines and I'm not sure what more they could give.

Freak Accident!!! If you believe this, I could find a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. This is just one of a series of accidents (incidents) which calls into question the training of the ships crews and how Carnival manages their ships. Has Carnival, in an attempt to cut costs and reduce overhead, increased the liklihood of these "events" becomming more common on their ships?

The incident on the Triumph is unfortunate, particularly for the elderly, the young children, etc., and I can certainly sympathize with the passengers having to deal with this. However, as far as the mechanical problem on the ship, what was Carnival supposed to do? Yes, they admitted to problems prior to the cruise, but if booked passengers were concerned, they should have canceled beforehand.

I agree the incident is not good, but it's certainly not the end of the world. The sooner some people realize that there are far worse catastrophes that happen each and every day, including terminal illnesses, the loss of a loved one, just to name a few. The sooner they realize that money is not the be all, end all, the better they will be.

This incident for most passengers as they look back will be a "bump in the road." Unless a passenger is ill or worse, I hope passengers will accept what Carnival is offering, look back on this as an experience, be able to tell their children and grandchildren about it, and above all, lighten up and try not to sweat the small stuff. Life is way too short.

Stranding passengers for over one week, forcing them to live in unsanitary conditions, and then Carnival says they will compensate (to avoid a law-suit). I think Carnival should make serious changes in the operations of their ships to make sure that this problem never happens again.

Far less than a week and "forcing"? Carnival somehow did this on purpose? The crew somehow has it better than the passengers?

Carnival is offering generous compensation because it is the right thing to do - not to avoid lawsuits, although you can be sure that ambulance chasers will be tossing out bushiness cards like Mardi Gras beads.

Every passenger agrees to terms and conditions of the cruise contract before setting foot on a cruise ship - any of them for any cruise line. Law suits will of course be filed and could take years to settle with the net result being the lawyers ending up with free cruises and nothing for the plaintiffs.

We have already seen how other cruise lines don't begin to approach Carnival in terms of compensation.

Carnival is not greedy, but the people who think they are entitled to more than what Carnival already offered certainly are.

Carnival has already offered above and beyond what they are obligated to do. Yes it is quite generous offer.

One of the most ridiculous comments I have read today on the boards.

Far less than a week and "forcing"? Carnival somehow did this on purpose? The crew somehow has it better than the passengers?

Carnival is offering generous compensation because it is the right thing to do - not to avoid lawsuits, although you can be sure that ambulance chasers will be tossing out bushiness cards like Mardi Gras beads.

Every passenger agrees to terms and conditions of the cruise contract before setting foot on a cruise ship - any of them for any cruise line. Law suits will of course be filed and could take years to settle with the net result being the lawyers ending up with free cruises and nothing for the plaintiffs.

We have already seen how other cruise lines don't begin to approach Carnival in terms of compensation.

Totally wrong!!! One has only to read what these passengers have been going through, no food, no sanitation etc. The fact is that this is not a solitary incident, but rather indicative of a company, that at best, is losing its edge as the "cruise leader" and possibility is indicative of a major failure of management that is impacting the safety of its ships.

Totally wrong!!! One has only to read what these passengers have been going through, no food, no sanitation etc. The fact is that this is not a solitary incident, but rather indicative of a company, that at best, is losing its edge as the "cruise leader" and possibility is indicative of a major failure of management that is impacting the safety of its ships.

I know better than to believe everything I read. :rolleyes:

I have read lots of allegations with absolutely no proof behind them.

What I find laughable is that people thinks banks, credit card companies and utility companies will give a damn that the person paying late, behind, over drafted was stuck on a cruise ship. Seriously? No, they don't. One does not have to be rich to cruise, a 4 dayer out of Galveston is not a huge expense. Do you really think it is filled with people who have unlimited budgets, unlimited time off work, jobs that will be 100% fine with them missing extra time? Texas is an AT WILL state, in this economy anyone who has a job is just lucky to have it. People get let go for less every day of the week. It's easy for those of us who are comfortable and have a cushion, family to help us and good circumstances to think it's no big deal. But I have no doubt in my mind this will cause harm to some on board and that is truly the tragedy here.

I am not saying anyone should sue or they are all entitled to X amount of dollars, just that this goes so far beyond $500, a free cruise or whatever else. Yes they are all lucky they are alive etc. etc. but that does not dismiss what is waiting for some when they step off board. For some people it really does only take one incident of falling on bad luck to knock them off track and put them behind.

I understand what you're saying but this is national news. Employers know that the absence is beyond the control of the employee. And because it is national news, just think of the backlash to their company if they fire someone who couldn't make it to work because they were stranded at sea under horrendous conditions.

I agree and ABC News just reported that there will be a triage center set up at the docks for the passengers that are disembarking. How many sick people do they expect to need a triage center? When this was first reported I basically had the attitude of no biggie. We sail in balcony cabins, and I am not picky about food. It would suck if the kids were with us because finding them food might be a challenge but I could deal with it. But now that there are reports of sewage everywhere...........and triage needed for the sick or injured that is beyond an adventure. We can all know that this is pretty bad since Carnival is giving everyone the extra $500 per person. My other concern is that Carnival knew this ship had problem and kept it going anyway. I understand looking at the bottom line and needing to turn a profit, but if they knew, and they put off maintenance then that is reckless. Would I sue? No. But will I hesitate to book a Carnival cruise again...yes. I certainly won't book on any of the older ships. I also will weigh the cost versus the history. When booking if another line isn't too far out on pricing I will pay more to go on the other line. Overall I would imagine this will cost Carnival more than taking the Triumph out of rotation earlier and fixing it before this happened. Perhaps a big lawsuit would convince cruiselines that it is in their long term interests to maintain their ships better. I don't know.

I couldn't agree more. At the very least Carnival should reimburse the passengers for any medical conditions as a result of living in unsanitary conditons for over one week. In addition, they should totally reimburse all the passengers for all transporation and hotel costs and well as providing them with a least another free cruise to any destination they would want. Carnival should make an attempt to keep these individuals as Carnival Cruisers. To date, Carnival's actions show that they have little respect for their customers.

How much does Carnival Corp pay you? What ever it is you should get a raise for your Brilliant PR skills!! I have been on 12 Carnival cruises and you are just something else;)

Absolutely nothing. Royal pays me to discredit them as much as possible. I've been on 35 Carnival cruises with well over 250 Carnival sea days but have no idea what that has to do with anything. :p

Totally wrong!!!! There are to many reports from to many news organizations saying the same thing. Carnival does have serious problems and unless they take care of them they are in danger of losing a great many their past passengers.

Yes let's not believe what is being said by those actually going through this ordeal but many of you will believe the brilliant garbage that the head ambassador tells you. Yeah, drink that Kool-Aid.

Totally wrong!!!! There are to many reports from to many news organizations saying the same thing. Carnival does have serious problems and unless they take care of them they are in danger of losing a great many their past passengers.

Good news doesn't sell advertising. The media is well known for highlighting the bad and ignoring any positive.

Hopefully this incident will cause changes with foreign flagged vessels. The cruise lines have been padding the pockets of our law makers to keep the upper hand. I am in hopes that our government now steps and realizes that there are issues in this industry.

That's because the brilliant ambassador has told his sheep that all things on board this ship have been great and to spread the word. Of course only the ignorant follow the leader.

There is a significant group of Cruise Line Advocate members on Cruise Critic and I'm sure they'll vehemently disagree when I state the following: It is my belief that the compensation package being reported is not nearly enough. Of course, I also realize that the real compensation won't be discussed until those passengers are off the ship.

Not sure that refunding the cruise and a free future cruise is really " generous" I mean sure it's nice, but what about lost wages? Child care costs? Pet boarding? People who will be paying their mortgage late? There are so many other things to consider. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to take the hit of 5+ days off work unscheduled. For some people that could mean they can't pay a bill, they get fired, they have no more vacation or sick time for the rest of the year etc. It's short sighted to only look at the immediate when there is no doubt this will cause long lasting financial issues for at least some of the passengers for weeks or months to come. THAT is what is on my mind, not so much what they are going through now but the ripple affect that will take place once this is all over with.

I think the compensation is decent but in no way "generous".

Yeah, if you have a cushy job, lots of income, can get away for 5 days with no notice, you will be happy with extra $500. But how many of those who cruise Carnival are not in such a position? Because of its low prices, I wouldn't be surprised that Carnival attracts people like me, aka, poor, in college, not a lot of disposable income, paid by the hour, etc. Lost wage, wasted precious vacation time, danger of being replaced in work place are all too real.

Hopefully this incident will cause changes with foreign flagged vessels. The cruise lines have been padding the pockets of our law makers to keep the upper hand. I am in hopes that our government now steps and realizes that there are issues in this industry.

That would be brilliant and drive all the major cruise lines including Holland America away from the US. The lawmakers already bankrupted the US based cruise industry.

The only food that was limited was limited HOT food. Even coffee has been available.

So how do YOU get all your glorious misinformation, $argent $chultz?

People have waited in line for 4 HOURS and got only a slice of bread with a tomato and mayo on it. They are defacating into small garbage cans...no showers for 3-4 days...raw sewage in the hallways...

Lovely, ain't it, $argent $chultz?

Good news doesn't sell advertising. The media is well known for highlighting the bad and ignoring any positive.

I would like to hear what can be positive about:

1) Having a fire on a ship which leaves it without any power or means of propulsion

2) Running out of food for the passengers

3) Unsanitary Conditions which I do not even want to write about

4) Inadquate compensation for the victims

5) Callousness on the part of Carnival to the passengers

6) The same ship has a history of previous problems and malfunctions

6) The cruise line (Carnival) having the same accident (fire) on another of tis sister ships

7) The cruise linve (Carnival) having a history of malfuncitons and cancelled or altered cruises with other ships.

8) Its sister line (Costa) having one of it newer ships sink in less time than it took the Titanic.

Certainly some people can look at Carnival with "Rose Colored Glasses"

Archived