Carnival Offers Generous Compensation to Triumph Passengers

LauraS

I think you could make a case that this was avoidable. But more to the point, how many engine room fires has Carnival had? I know there was the Ecastasy and the Splendor and now the Triumph. Which has already had problems as reported on this very message board.

I would be curiuos to see what the record is for this sort of thing with other lines, but that information is not as easy to research as I initially expected.

I really enjoyed my Carnival Cruise last year, but next time I'm going with Celebrity. Or HA. Or Disney (not really). Because when I hear the words "Cruise ship" and "Misery" it seems as if it's the same company every time.

Aren't Celebrity and HAL owned by Carnival Corp.?

On my last ship in the Navy we had a high pressure fuel line develop a small rupture which resulted in fuel being sprayed into the engineroom. If the rupture had occurred on the other side of the line then fuel would have been sprayed onto the hot engine which would have resulted in a fire. Nothing mechanical involved at all.

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion about whether Carnival's offer is "generous" or not, it seems inappropriate to me to have a sticky thread on cruisecritic with a title repeating the Carnival position that the offer is "generous".

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, that is for each passenger to judge. But a supposed independent website should not be parroting the company line, that it is.

I can't speak for the people aboard the Triumph right now, we'll just have to see how much is true and how much is sensationalized, but my husband and I feel like we are getting our due. We were supposed to be boarding the triumph this weekend, which has obviously been canceled, and Triumph provided us a full refund and a 25% discount on a future cruise. The customer service worked with us extensively to find us another affordable cruise and we will be sailing out of new orleans on the same cruise, one week after we would have originally, for a fraction of the cost. In my eyes, Carnival has made it right with us.

I think you could make a case that this was avoidable. But more to the point, how many engine room fires has Carnival had? I know there was the Ecastasy and the Splendor and now the Triumph. Which has already had problems as reported on this very message board.

I would be curiuos to see what the record is for this sort of thing with other lines, but that information is not as easy to research as I initially expected.

I really enjoyed my Carnival Cruise last year, but next time I'm going with Celebrity. Or HA. Or Disney (not really). Because when I hear the words "Cruise ship" and "Misery" it seems as if it's the same company every time.

Ecstasy wasn't an engine room fire in 1998 but in the laundry and probably cause was unauthorized welding.

Splendor was originally a Costa ship that ended up going to Carnival.

The Princess fire probable cause was a cigarette tossed over the side.

There are absolutely no facts supporting that the ships were improperly maintained. To further suggest that the fire was related to something that has yet to be established is pure fantasy.

Carnival is not the only cruise line to have had fires at sea. To say that they are is denying reality.

Probably so, but it seems they are the only ones that keep pax in squalor with sewage running down the walls as just reported by passenger speaking with CNN live. The Ectasy fire was close enough to come back to Miami but what did they do to mitigate a repeat from the Splendor two years ago?? Looks like nothing!

Probably so, but it seems they are the only ones that keep pax in squalor with sewage running down the walls as just reported by passenger speaking with CNN live. The Ectasy fire was close enough to come back to Miami but what did they do to mitigate a repeat from the Splendor two years ago?? Looks like nothing!

It is worth repeating the Splendor was originally for Costa and I have no reason to believe the two are in any way related.

In the case of the Splendor, there were issues with the automatic fire suppression system, something that apparently worked as designed on Triumph.

CNN is a business and happy cruisers are not what they are going to feature. Good news doesn't sell advertising.

It is worth repeating the Splendor was originally for Costa and I have no reason to believe the two are in any way related.

In the case of the Splendor, there were issues with the automatic fire suppression system, something that apparently worked as designed on Triumph.

What does your info have to do with anything going on here?? You still have 2 high profile instances where CARNIVAL pax are exposed to disease, raw sewerage, food poisoning, lost wages, and violence. Nothing was done to assure that it didn't happen again. That's what mitigation means!!!

My husband and I (along with about 50 other people) were scheduled to be on the 2/11 sailing as soon as this sailing returned. we were not told anything by the cruise line until about 14 hours before she was supposed to dock in Galveston, that the 2/11 and 2/16 sailings had been cancelled. While I feel terrible for the deplorable conditions those passengers AND crewmembers are facing, we feel that we as the next group have not been "adequately" compensated. we were given 14 hours notice, had booked hotels, spent money in gas to drive, some members of the group came from as far away as Canada and Alaska, only to arrive at the terminal to receive a letter saying the ship had been cancelled. We appreciate the full refund of this sailing, but feel that just like those aboard now, we should be compensated with a credit for a future cruise (in the amount we paid for the 2/11) as well, not just a 25% discount, which if applied to a cuise this year, will NOT help as the cost for any cruise is drastically increased from what we all paid for the 2/11 sailing. Also, we should not be limited to a 3-5 day cruise ... we should be given the option of what ship we want, not just a select few..

One of the couples in our group was on the Ecstasy on the April 27,2009 sailing when the Swine Flu outbreak caused them to miss their ports of call in Mexico and they had a 5 day cruise to nowhere. the sailing immediately following theirs was cancelled and they were given a refund and a 100% credit for a future cruise an the passengers from the 4/27 sailing were given a 25% discount for a future cruise .... it sets a precedence..

My husband and I (along with about 50 other people) were scheduled to be on the 2/11 sailing as soon as this sailing returned. we were not told anything by the cruise line until about 14 hours before she was supposed to dock in Galveston, that the 2/11 and 2/16 sailings had been cancelled. While I feel terrible for the deplorable conditions those passengers AND crewmembers are facing, we feel that we as the next group have not been "adequately" compensated. we were given 14 hours notice, had booked hotels, spent money in gas to drive, some members of the group came from as far away as Canada and Alaska, only to arrive at the terminal to receive a letter saying the ship had been cancelled. We appreciate the full refund of this sailing, but feel that just like those aboard now, we should be compensated with a credit for a future cruise (in the amount we paid for the 2/11) as well, not just a 25% discount, which if applied to a cuise this year, will NOT help as the cost for any cruise is drastically increased from what we all paid for the 2/11 sailing. Also, we should not be limited to a 3-5 day cruise ... we should be given the option of what ship we want, not just a select few..

One of the couples in our group was on the Ecstasy on the April 27,2009 sailing when the Swine Flu outbreak caused them to miss their ports of call in Mexico and they had a 5 day cruise to nowhere. the sailing immediately following theirs was cancelled and they were given a refund and a 100% credit for a future cruise an the passengers from the 4/27 sailing were given a 25% discount for a future cruise .... it sets a precedence..

Yep I feel bad for those flying. I'm flying in on the 16th to Houston for Carnival Magic sailing on the 17th. If the cruise were to be cancelled I would be out 830 air fare, another 100 for the cost to get from Toronto to buffalo airport, and 300 in hotel fees. Over 1200 dollars and I had a deal on my air too.

AMEN! Bad things happen on other ships, planes, trains, cars etc., etc. We book hoping for the best on a vacation. CARNIVAL has been good for us and our family sooooooo far. If you want to cancel future bookings, or have concerns then you should-write a letter to Customer Relations-they ALWAYS respond.

. Carnival's compensation is extremely generous.Two free cruises for a little inconvenience? Both my GF and i would have loved to be on that cruise. :)

You must be joking. Don't forget, as you're doing your calculations, that many people have limited time off. They also may be celebrating a specific event, such as a honeymoon. Promise me you'll wait until current pax debark and tell their stories and then you'll start a thread explaining why you would have "loved to be on that cruise" so that I can find it.

Why would anyone who is on this nightmare of a cruise ever get on another Carnival cruiseline ship again? I would not and I am not on it!

Now that there have been a couple of occurences of this (especially being left adrift with poor rescue procedures in place) I will never cruise with them again. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this.

Carnival Corp is an absolute joke and greedy company. Just like Clark Howard said on air today CCL should have cancelled 2 of it other cruises in the vicinity and went out and picked up the stranded passengers. Do the right thing. What a joke company

I completely agree that the compensation for the sailing on the 11th is vastly inadequate. On very short notice they were refunded for a cruise they did not take, refunded for airfare that was just a waste of time, and given a COUPON for a value of $2-300 MAX!

I am not saying this whole thing is Carnival's fault...accidents happen...but they need to make it right with the people they inconvenience. The people on the 11th sailing should have received the same future free criuse that the stranded passengers got. The people on the 16th cruise, since they at least got more notice, should get at least refunds plus 50% off future cruise..ANY cruise with Carnival.

Bear in mind that the stranded passengers, in addition to getting a future free cruise, also got all their drinks, specialty restaurants, and shore excursions comped for the 3 regular days they did have on their sailing. So they are getting a pretty fair deal. That said however, I'm sure it would cost Carnival close to nothing to give them a 25% coupon for their 2nd next cruise after the free one. Carnival would still be getting 75% revenue and insuring at least 2 more sailings for that guest.

The compensation for the stranded passengers is decent, but the cancelled sailings are really getting the shaft...all they really get is a discount coupon for all their inconvenience.

Carnival Corp is an absolute joke and greedy company. Just like Clark Howard said on air today CCL should have cancelled 2 of it other cruises in the vicinity and went out and picked up the stranded passengers. Do the right thing. What a joke company

I like Clark Howard, and agree with much of what he says, but why would you inconvenience a whole new group of people just to slightly lessen the inconvenience of the stranded ones. If they could have sent some other not commited ship to get them then fine, but to cancel another booked ship and inconvenience an ADDITIONAL 3000 passengers is wrong.

I have sailed Carnival 8 times and have had some issues with them, but you don't cancel a whole additional sailing just to get the stranded folks back a day or two earlier.

I don't know if either of the other two ships that came to help were on their way home or on their way out on their sailing, but Triumph could have offloaded a few hundred of the more needy passengers to each ship and got them to a port. This would have also lessened the food, electricity and comfort burden for the ones who did not get off.

I am amazed by the outright "Carnival Apologists" (also known as Carnival Cheerleaders) on this board.These passengers were more than "a little inconvienced." Who's to say if the compensation is "generous"? We'll find out when the people affected start posting of their experiences. I am a Carnival fan but sometimes bad things happen to good people. I am not sure if Carnival could have done anything different. The only thing I can think of is perhaps we need to redesign cruise ships with an alternative power source, like an alternative engine room, that could be used for emergency power generation. I know the Navy builds redundantcies into their ships to survive catastrophic events.

You must be joking. Don't forget, as you're doing your calculations, that many people have limited time off. They also may be celebrating a specific event, such as a honeymoon. Promise me you'll wait until current pax debark and tell their stories and then you'll start a thread explaining why you would have "loved to be on that cruise" so that I can find it.

Some people are total shills. I'd say I wish they experienced something like this, but that means 3999 unfortunate passengers and crew would have to join them in the experience.

I thought maybe these posts were from a couple of days ago, but I guess not. That makes it worse.

I am surprised that I am the only person that finds any publication or even decision about compensation has been made. This situation is FAR from over, why have corporate mouths even opened.

You're absolutely right. Why tie themselves down to this compensation? What if things get REALLY bad? They may decide to offer much more compensation but people will only remember this offer. It's crazy. They should be quiet about that and waaaay out in front of all other news. I'm watching the TV: "raw sewage on the walls" is scrolling across the bottom of the news. Carnival should be managing this story- they have a bunch of prisoners with dying cell phones on board- why can't they get their corporate message across?

What does your info have to do with anything going on here?? You still have 2 high profile instances where CARNIVAL pax are exposed to disease, raw sewerage, food poisoning, lost wages, and violence. Nothing was done to assure that it didn't happen again. That's what mitigation means!!!

A logical person will agree with you. A cheerleader for the cruise line will not.

What Carnival has offered was expected and they had no choice. Carnival Corporation continues to receive bad press. One incident after another. It will be interesting to hear from the passengers on board when she returns to port. Of course many on here will call them liars if the comments are not glowing about this cruise.

What difference does it make that the Splendor was originally ordered for Costa? The ship was built by the same shipyard that has built all of the Destiny class and larger ships. It should have been built to the same specs as any other Carnival brand unless you are trying to tell us that Carnival cuts corners on certain brands.

What difference does it make that the Splendor was originally ordered for Costa? The ship was built by the same shipyard that has built all of the Destiny class and larger ships. It should have been built to the same specs as any other Carnival brand unless you are trying to tell us that Carnival cuts corners on certain brands.

Not to mention the ship entered service in what, 2009? Costa was under the Carnival umbrella since 2000.

Costa has Spirit class ships too, IIRC.

Archived