Carnival Offers Generous Compensation to Triumph Passengers

LauraS

A logical person will agree with you. A cheerleader for the cruise line will not.

What Carnival has offered was expected and they had no choice. Carnival Corporation continues to receive bad press. One incident after another. It will be interesting to hear from the passengers on board when she returns to port. Of course many on here will call them liars if the comments are not glowing about this cruise.

I think they put something in the free fruit punch that all these people on these boards rave about. That's the part that gets me, it's one incident after another. Every time I talk to someone who has been on a Carnival cruise and ask them how they like it, the first thing they tell me is how cheap it was - nothing about their actual cruise experience. When I want to experience cheap - I go to Walmart.

I think they put something in the free fruit punch that all these people on these boards rave about. That's the part that gets me, it's one incident after another. Every time I talk to someone who has been on a Carnival cruise and ask them how they like it, the first thing they tell me is how cheap it was - nothing about their actual cruise experience. When I want to experience cheap - I go to Walmart.

While I prefer Princess, we enjoyed our cruise on the Triumph and would cruise with Carnival again. Carnival is not the only cruise line that experienced incidents, Princess included.

Carnival is not greedy, but the people who think they are entitled to more than what Carnival already offered certainly are.

Carnival has already offered above and beyond what they are obligated to do. Yes it is quite generous offer.

No they did exactly what they had to do and try to save their reputation.

The offer is paltry. These people have not just been "inconvenienced"; they are suffering alot of pain and distress- that IS worthy of compensation.

With all the cutbacks that CCL has done, it is foolish to think that they haven't extended to operations and maintenance.

It was quite clear that with the propulsion problems that the triumph, missing ports and arriving late each week, that there was a problem and CCL knew about it.

They knew the ship wasn't seaworthy.

They knew it.

Yet, they still sailed it out. I hope that at a minimum, each passenger gets at least $12,000 for their misery. An award like that would make CCL more dilligent in its operations.

CCL is the line that has ships with fires that leave passengers in slave ship conditions.

Princess? The fire on the Star was started by a passenger, not from shoddy engine room operations.

Disney? No strandings either.

It is ALWAYS CCL. They will buy off passengers cheap because the passengers don't value their time and think any compensation is a gift, like a ship on a stick!

Carnival is doing nothing out of generousity . They are saving their sorry butts. The compensation is doing what is right, but it aint generous. I wonder what the cool aid tastes like that some of you drank at Carnival's behest which allows you to always jump to their defense. For anyone to call what is occurring on the Triumph as an "inconvience" is disgusting.

I am by no means a Carnival Loyalist, however, I find it odd that so many never having sailed with Carnival are doing their best to bash this cruise line and on a Carnival Forum no less. It seems all the cheerleaders from other cruise lines are drinking that brand of koolaid so lets not throw stones.

What the people on the Triumph are going through has to be dreadful but I gotta say, what Carnival is offering them is far more than the other cruise lines ever offered. Such as the fire on the Star Princess where almost 300 cabins were destroyed and countless people were injured mostly from smoke inhalation not to mention that poor man that died, Princess never even paid to have his body shipped home from Jamaica. What they gave them, was a refund and 25% off a future cruise..big deal:rolleyes:

Fires are one of the biggest culprits of cruise ship disasters and can happen on any cruise ship, no matter what cruise line.

Yep, screw up many thousansd of passengers instead of a few. Find hotels for thousands on Mardi Gras when there are no rooms to be found. To expect Carnival to do the impossible is unreasonable. Carnival's compensation is extremely generous.Two free cruises for a little inconvenience? Both my GF and i would have loved to be on that cruise. :)

Sarge, you and I have a fun history of agreeing and not on about a 50/50 ratio.

The logistics of an at sea rescue would be astronomical, and perhaps not workable in the high winds. A ship listing at sea and adrift might be a huge problem. I have no clue, but if there was a strong possibility then yes, do it.

Mardi Gras was a huge problem for Galveston and hotels. We were booked as far up as the Clear Lake area where I live. Arriving passengers for the Magic would have created a bigger PR nightmare. Perhaps "don't break one thing to fix another" is applicable.

Finally, has Carnival done enough? I am not sure. This is a PR disaster we as the average consumer might not fully appreciate yet. Your and my favorite cruise line needs ships at sea with people spending money.

The impact for this is yet to be seen. I do expect a plethora of lawsuits with the local guys that advertise on billboards on the way to Galveston to lead the charge. If having passengers sign a settlement agreement for 10-20k each would work then expect something like that. It's astronomical, but who knows. I do expect a huge campaign to get passengers trust back across the entire fleet.

We are booked on two more cruises with Carnival, one on the Triumph. I'm not sure when we will see her in Galveston again.

Bump me if you sail from here, I'll buy you a Shiner Amber.

lee.

Carnivals new ad campaign will apparently offer free upgraded poop buckets to all suite passengers; everyone else gets the standard baggie.

All kidding aside, I predict Letterman, Leno, and Kimmel will be making jokes about this for weeks. This is a HUGE public relations nightmare for CCL. There is no one in the USA that has not heard about this story by now. Nothing will drive away guest like stories of raw sewage and no food.

I bet the stock price will dip under $33 within a week .. its at $39.02 at market close today.

Not sure that refunding the cruise and a free future cruise is really " generous" I mean sure it's nice, but what about lost wages? Child care costs? Pet boarding? People who will be paying their mortgage late? There are so many other things to consider. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to take the hit of 5+ days off work unscheduled. For some people that could mean they can't pay a bill, they get fired, they have no more vacation or sick time for the rest of the year etc. It's short sighted to only look at the immediate when there is no doubt this will cause long lasting financial issues for at least some of the passengers for weeks or months to come. THAT is what is on my mind, not so much what they are going through now but the ripple affect that will take place once this is all over with.

Carnivals new ad campaign will apparently offer free upgraded poop buckets to all suite passengers; everyone else gets the standard baggie.

All kidding aside, I predict Letterman, Leno, and Kimmel will be making jokes about this for weeks. This is a HUGE public relations nightmare for CCL. There is no one in the USA that has not heard about this story by now. Nothing will drive away guest like stories of raw sewage and no food.

I bet the stock price will dip under $33 within a week .. its at $39.02 at market close today.

:DThanks, now I have to clean off my keyboard of the soda I spit all over it....we all need some laughs. I think your predictions will all be true....So much for the 'Fun ships'

Free cruises for people that have a miserable experience is sort of a gift of diminishing returns. I was on a ship which had a minor issue by comparison, and plenty of people were doing the "I'll never do this again."

So it would be interesting to see what the retention is and how much they actually give away.

Not sure that refunding the cruise and a free future cruise is really " generous" I mean sure it's nice, but what about lost wages? Child care costs? Pet boarding? People who will be paying their mortgage late? There are so many other things to consider. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to take the hit of 5+ days off work unscheduled. For some people that could mean they can't pay a bill, they get fired, they have no more vacation or sick time for the rest of the year etc. It's short sighted to only look at the immediate when there is no doubt this will cause long lasting financial issues for at least some of the passengers for weeks or months to come. THAT is what is on my mind, not so much what they are going through now but the ripple affect that will take place once this is all over with.

Come on- a little dramatic, no? If you live your life this close to the bone then maybe your real mistake was taking a vacation such as this in the first place. NOT blaming the victim- pointing out a truly over blown bunch of accusations to a situation that really doesnt need to be over blown. Most ppl are screwed and have ppl on shore that will help with pets, kids, mail, etc. A few things will be further screwed up.

This IS bad, what these people are going thru- but practically saying someone is going to lose their job or cant pay their mortgage over a ruined vacation is ridiculous and smells like the dirty cousin of Frivolous Lawsuits.

... The ripple affect ... like this is Carnival's 9/11 or something ... In 3 weeks stocks rebound- all ships are fully booked. Take it to the bank. Its a blimp in the radar of most vacationers.

In 3 weeks stocks rebound- all ships are fully booked. Take it to the bank. Its a blimp in the radar of most vacationers.

In three weeks the stocks rebound?...

Have some more Kool Aid...

In three weeks investigators will find major deficincies in Carnival's procedures.

I am amazed by the outright "Carnival Apologists" (also known as Carnival Cheerleaders) on this board.These passengers were more than "a little inconvienced." Who's to say if the compensation is "generous"? We'll find out when the people affected start posting of their experiences. I am a Carnival fan but sometimes bad things happen to good people. I am not sure if Carnival could have done anything different. The only thing I can think of is perhaps we need to redesign cruise ships with an alternative power source, like an alternative engine room, that could be used for emergency power generation. I know the Navy builds redundantcies into their ships to survive catastrophic events.

Indeed - it is almost like Carnival has its crisis management team out posting happy thoughts on this thread. A little inconvenience - please

There is nothing "generous" about that compensation at all. From what I've read about what these people have gone through Carnival ought to be paying them several thousand each. Even that wouldn't really be generous. Generous is when the rest of us say, "Gosh, I wish that had happen to me!"

Yep, screw up many thousansd of passengers instead of a few. Find hotels for thousands on Mardi Gras when there are no rooms to be found. To expect Carnival to do the impossible is unreasonable. Carnival's compensation is extremely generous.Two free cruises for a little inconvenience? Both my GF and i would have loved to be on that cruise. :)

On which cruise ship did the customers have a "little inconvenience?"

Got to agree. I know too many people who in reality can't really afford to cruise but do. Losing a week of pay would definitely be a hardship. Personally I never cared for Carnival. Too many ships with too many problems.

If I was on that cruise.....I'd be looking to give or sell that future credit to someone who really likes Carnival.

Come on- a little dramatic, no? If you live your life this close to the bone then maybe your real mistake was taking a vacation such as this in the first place. NOT blaming the victim- pointing out a truly over blown bunch of accusations to a situation that really doesnt need to be over blown. Most ppl are screwed and have ppl on shore that will help with pets, kids, mail, etc. A few things will be further screwed up.

This IS bad, what these people are going thru- but practically saying someone is going to lose their job or cant pay their mortgage over a ruined vacation is ridiculous and smells like the dirty cousin of Frivolous Lawsuits.

... The ripple affect ... like this is Carnival's 9/11 or something ... In 3 weeks stocks rebound- all ships are fully booked. Take it to the bank. Its a blimp in the radar of most vacationers.

Yeah there is a number of overdone arguments there, I highly doubt any employer or bank won't have consideration for what is happening. If you are getting fired for missing extra days, for which you have zero control, it would only be because they were going to fire you anyway.

When I started following this event I did start to immediately think about what these "extra days at sea" would cause me. Missed take home in the amount of $1,200 and dog boarding at $200. So minimum $1,400 cash money.

The fact is, a future free cruise is nice, but its just a way for Carnival to try and force a positive vacation memory on a customer to gain even more future business. I really don't think I would have a problem cruising again (from my perceived idea of the experience those on Triumph are having) but my wife would, I know she wouldn't cruise again, and I think many may find themselves in that same argument.

The Super Bowl seating blunder in Dallas, I think, had a similar offer to that of Carnival, but those customers missed a live Super Bowl event and hardly went through any rough conditions.

""About 400 people who were left without seats were given the choices of receiving triple the face value of their tickets, travel to a future Super Bowl or compensation of $5,000 or more depending on “actual substantiated expenses” to get to the game in Arlington.""

Same or better offer, option for cash and certainly nothing near the horrible experience (or lost pay from work).

Exactly!

These people will have missed 5 days of work. They are pooping in plastic bags. Sleeping in open decks. Breathing in toxic fumes. Some are sick and ther isn't enough food !

Omg, Carnival 's put the almighty dollar ahead of passenger and crew safety . By allowing these people to board on a broken ship. The passengers first inconveinence was changing intinery. Starting the trip late due to propulsion and then hours without any toilets, no showers , no way to wash your hands with feces all around !!!

Generous? Giving them back their hard earned dollars because Carnival sold them something they couldn't deliver? Offering the passengers a free cruise is being generous ? No.....they are trying to save face and business. They want them to come and spent dollars to give back to Carnival. Generous for getting them home? They should get them home. Their ship failed to live up to contract. These people are forced to spent at least 5 days in deplorable conditions . Sharing food with people Pooping in Plastic bags who can't even wash their hands....with feces all around them o. The floors , running down the walls , etc.....Generous ? No .....obligated both morally and legality wise in the end ......and trying to save face !!!! I am sure , they never thought this would happen but the pushed the envelop too far, and the end result didn't justify the means !

Indeed - it is almost like Carnival has its crisis management team out posting happy thoughts on this thread. A little inconvenience - please

I don't know why more people can't WAKE UP and realize a number of Carnival Cheerleaders are planted here. I easily see it, why can't others? Maybe this current episode will bring reality to light, but I am not betting the farm on it.

Rah! Rah! Goooooooooooo CARNIVAL!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Archived