Has your packing list changed? (Inlight of the Triumph)

ShanZro

We dont have a upcoming cruise booked as of yet, but I really wish we did. I am ready to go back out again. Im just wondering, those of you who will be sailing in the next few days, weeks, months or even a year (even if it is not on the Triumph) Have you though of how you would change your packaging list, due to what happened on the Triumph.

My husband and I have talked about it a little today and have decided we will have our passports before the next cruise (we used our passport cards this time) I have MS and need to take lots of medications and also a injection every other day. I only brought 2 extra injections with on our cruise (would of covered 4 days if needed) but the Triumph really made me realize that I should have at least a weeks worth with me. We will pack lots of chem lights (Snap lights or Snap sticks) those would come in handy in the event of a power outage what ever the case may be. Water, Snacks like granola bars, crackers and cheese and other small snacks. My husband is Military so he says he would bring MREs but I dont think that is needed..lol

I know the chances of us having a emergency and actually needing these things are small but I would rather have them. If my family can munch on the snacks we brought with for one of the meals during the day that is less time someone else would have to stand behind us in the line to get their food if there was a emergency situation, and that is more food someone else could have since we wouldnt be needing it.

I think we would also bring some "keep busy" stuff. Books, small games, maybe some coloring books and crayon. Heck you never know you might have a ruff sea day and just want to relax in your room where those things could come in handy.

So how about you? Anything extra that you will bring on your next cruise?

I always take at least one week extra worth of medication with me. However, I will probably keep the medication a bit more organized in the room: everything in 1 easy to grab bag instead of everything spread out amongst purse, toiletry bag etc.

One thing extra I will probably take with me is a small flashlight with some extra batteries.

Other than that: no. The odds are really small that something will happen and I refuse to be prepared for doomsday (sp?) while on a cruise.

The same question was asked when the Costa ship fell on its side, my reply was

We always check our life jackets to make sure they are in good order and the right size, we don't bring flashlights... Which I'm going to see that we do from now on, and the zip lock bag for documents is a good idea too! I myself am a firm believe when it comes to following instructions, and keeping calm in intense situations, I'd probably grab a drink, say to myself this isn't happening..

So how about you? Anything extra that you will bring on your next cruise?

I will probably make sure that I have a small flashlight, at least. Like the ones that hook onto your keychain? Or even one of those small taplights and some batteries, because for those passengers who could remain in their cabin for much of the time, that light would have been nice. They don't take up much room, either.

I always have "keep busy" stuff like my Kindle, which entertains me for hours, and I always have at least a Kind bar or two wherever I go. You could probably dig through my purse and eat for several days. lol

My mom takes a lot of medications and I will suggest to her that she bring an extra week of meds rather than an extra day or two.

Other than that, I pretty much have everything I need. I usually travel with a blanket because I get cold on airplanes, and always have Tylenol and Benedryl with me. I am also a notorious over-packer and would have been able to supply extra clothes to people in cabins around me. :rolleyes:

I always bring a flashlight or two *you just never know*, and a first aid kit with 2 quick clot bandages *you just never know*. I like to be prepared, I also make it a point to have snacks, like crackers and peanut butter. I doubt I will deviate from my future packing.

I'm considering our freeplay lantern. It comes with an adapter, but we can also charge it with the hand crank. [br /] [br /] Also, we take an extra week of meds, but maybe I should add a little more. We also use the medicine organizer from Magellans. [br /][br /]Also bring a deck of cards.

I already bring a small flashlight. I've always carried one when I've traveled even before I cruised. We started carrying a small first aid kit last time after my wife cut her finger on our first cruise and a small box of band aids was $7.

I joked the other day about a suitcase full of Clif Bars and a Square credit card reader. :D

I probably will bring a case of Clif Bars. Paranoid? Probably, but at least we won't have to wait 3 hours for an onion sandwich. :D

I'll also bring on a case of water.

My emergency packing list that I have been taking on cruises for years:

small flashlights, votive battery operated candle, small screwdriver (who knows why lol), ziplock baggies, lighter (I not smoke), antibiotics, vitamins, one entire week supply extra of medications, vitmains, sea bands, purell, wipes, band aids, hard candy, extra eyeglasses, benedryl, advil, baby powder, air masks, tiger balm, sneakers, extra two sets of clothes (day/night).

Really I'd keep doing the things I already do. I feel validated for buying a case of water & bringing it on my cruise - we stashed it under the bed. DH thought it was overkill, not anymore. When I fly, I always have a big bag of trail mix, I bring granola bars, my honey brings cookies or muffins, and I'll make sure we have some food stashed away. I like those individual peanut butter servings. And always, always get a balcony! We keep very few things in safe, so it'd be easy to pop that open and grab the wallets and passports. I always have extra plastic bags for wet bathing suits or shells or any other finds. I am old fashioned & always have extra magazines and books - perfect to trade or share with others. I always bring cash on my trips, may come in handy.

New things - ziplock for safe contents. flashlight. keep phone, camera & ipad charged at all times.

We were on the Triumph in December. It wasn't running well then and we missed Cozumel. Thankful there was no fire! :). Packing list hasn't really changed. I'm an over packer anyway and always bring a flashlight and extra meds. I always pack more undies than necessary for everyone. We are a balcony family and for that I am thankful too! Plus traveling with a child so snacks and keep busy stuff is already a given.

The one thing I will do differently is re access my emergency contact. I always thought it was silly because we cruise as a family together and always thought if there is an emergency.. We are all already here. Just changed our upcoming contact to the most responsible and reliable person I could think of that would be back on land ... And that would have been standing on the port in Mobile should we needed them!

Can't wait for our cruise in May!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is such a nice positive thread (not being snarky at all). i am going to change my emergency contact as well, we cruise in April, I don't expect any issues, but I will be bringing a few more things on the cruise that I did not have planned to pack.

as an aside, I really feel for the crew of the Triumph, I know in my experience the CCL crew work so hard to please us, it must have been an even bigger nightmare for them, remember they sleep below the lowest passenger decks, can you imagaine what the conditions were down there (heat wise at a minimum)

Back when I went on my first cruise in 2009 (our honeymoon), my husband thought we were crazy for packing so much stuff... now I'm realizing that my packing would have been a big help if we had been on this cruise! I take a sweatshirt everywhere (even in the Caribbean) and always pack coloring books (i'm 26) and packs of cards. We will be updating our contact list before we cruise in May (with my family of first time cruisers), but I will continue to pack more than I need!

Glad that everyone is back safe and pray that this doesn't happen again!

(i've been a poster on here before, but can't remember my email or any information) got to work on getting my cruise list back up to par!

nope. though i have had my always booking a balcony cabin irregardless of cost validated.

This one I agree with completely. I too carry small first aid kit, snacks, and a little LED light. But hadn't really thought about only balcony cabins until now. This will be my only change in the future.

I am going to throow a flashlight and extra batteries in the suitcase and leave them there. I believe I will also pack a battery power fan, and something to keep the balcony door (if we have a balcony) tied open if needed. I also might throw a few bottles of water and a few packs of crackers in the bag just in case.

Good point about balconies. it was brought up before, but I strongly suspect this is why we have such vast differences in accounts. The people on higher decks and in balconies had a much better situation than those on Riviera or Main and those in inside cabins.

I think the only thing I'd change is to take less soda and more water. We never seem to drink all 36 bottles, but it would be good to have extra water since soda dehydrates you and isn't good for you.

Other than that, I think I take about half of my house with me anyway. I'm one of THOSE people.

I already take those tap lights for the bathroom at night so I do not have to turn on that bright light. But I learned after the last cruise to take extra batteries. A flashlight will also be in my suitcase and I will stay more organized to know where things are in case of an emergency.

I will take more medications, I always take just enough. It never occured to me before this to take extras.

And I will take a few snacks and bottled water now, nothing overboard because I don't expect anything like this to happen again. But I was a girl scout and always want to be prepared.

I am looking for a solar iphone 5 charger that will also charge my ipad. The one advertised on tv got horrible reviews. Other than that I already pack the flashlight, playing cards, power strip and we bring a 12 pack and bottle of wine each on.

Archived