gold, platinum, diamond

bobvick

There are approx 3000 Platinum cruisers fleet wide of which approx 700 are Diamond. It's such a rarity on Carnival that I was denied boarding by security in Cabo San Lucas because they did not recognize the Diamond card. Many more on the East Coast then the West Coast, but far fewer than on other lines that have a much larger loyalty base.

I think you are confusing the number of Milestone...

when Carnival went to the new loyalty program....

there were about 3,400 MILESTONE of which about 750 were Diamond....

I have never heard the Platinum number....so I won't guess....

As for the number on any particular cruise....

years ago when this started....we had sailed where there was only 8 (4 of which were us since we were Platinum before they ever started the program).....

and in 2009, there were 600+ Platinum on BC3 on the Dream....

Now we measure the number of Diamonds....last year, we were on one cruise where we were the only Diamonds onboard and last month we were on BC6 and there were about 60 Diamonds (I THINK...if I heard correctly)....

I know about 30 Diamonds showed up for our private Diamond party which was the best one we have experienced in our 5 cruises since they started the program in June....

years ago when this started....we had sailed where there was only 8 (4 of which were us since we were Platinum before they ever started the program).....

Now we measure the number of Diamonds....last year, we were on one cruise where we were the only Diamonds onboard and last month we were on BC6 and there were about 60 Diamonds (I THINK...if I heard correctly)....

I know about 30 Diamonds showed up for our private Diamond party which was the best one we have experienced in our 5 cruises since they started the program in June....

Linda........I can't wait to join you at the Diamond party on BC7. Donna and I will actually be Diamond on our Halloween cruise on the Magic this year...but we feel reluctant to attend if there are very few fellow Diamond passengers or we don't know any of them.

In addition to your family, I think the only other Diamonds that I know are Ray and Norm.....I think we'll be the only Diamonds among the Crazies for awhile....

Oh you're right, sorry for the misinformation, I was thinking of Milestone. But I'll bet the number of Platinum cruisers is far less than people on here think. I go back to the S/S cards I see on board.

I also think 3,000 Platinum is very low.

Just got off Freedom and the VIP line was longer than the regular lines. I also have to laugh about the blue cards, they wear them around their necks so proudly!!!!

On our cruise at our private Diamond reception the Captain told us there are 700 Diamond members, which I thought were a lot. There were 7 on our ship which he said were a few more than the average.

just off the Conquest this past weekend...

when we boarded the breakdown was something like...

3 Diamond out of the 700 that exist

277 Plats - didn't say how many Plats exist

1200 Golds -

didn't mention the make up of Blue and Red.

I was one of the 277 which was many more than we've had in the past...I think it varies dramatically week to week, ship to ship or season...

from Conquest 02/12. I was one of 3 on board...all ladies! Captain told us now 763 Diamond members. I have been, the only one, one of 2, one of 3, and one of 4. Will Have my 50th Carnival in April on Legend Repo, and booked another last night. 263 days of Carnival, and 187 days of other lines.

There would have been more Diamonds if they had grandfathered those that were Milestone and those that were within a couple of cruises such as myself that were told we would be grandfathered to the highest level, Diamond.

But oh well, no reason to discuss that really, it was wrong, but nothing is going to change that... I will be Milestone on my cruise this year, then on my 26th cruise, I will be Platinum again.. something just doesnt seem right about that... Maybe they need to add a level inbetween Platinum and Diamond for us Milestone cruisers... they need to change the Diamond perks anyway... too many of them are a once in a lifetime perk which is really silly...

I know the OP was asking about a typical 7-day cruise, and my experience is on a 5-day cruise, but we're gold, and I was really surprised walking around on the Fascination--when we were at the bar, etc., at the number of red cards. I don't think I saw a single other gold/platinum card at all from all the cards I'd seen. At the gold/platinum/diamond party, the number of gold/platinum/diamond guests filled the back lounge--but not to capacity, so I'm thinking there were maybe 200 guests in these categories. 300 tops. So, out of about 2000 guests, 10-15% were in the gold/platinum/diamond categories.

It would be interesting to hear numbers from people on 7-day cruises to see if it's about the same ratio or not.

Remember, Carnival appeals to a first time cruiser crowd. If you look around at the S/S cards, you will see far more blue than any other color.

We're gold now, but will be platinum on our next cruise. I've really noticed that about the blue cards on our last few cruises. It seemed like there were not many return cruisers at all, most were gold, with a few platinum. I never saw a diamond.

We always enjoy when the crew says "Welcome Home" and "Welcome Back".

I just love that! On the Magic, our room steward even told us "Welcome back! I'm going to make this your best cruise ever!"

• 2 weeks later...
I try to look at this as a mathematical questoin. Currently, Carnival has 24 ships in service. That includes the Destiny and Triumph, which are now in dry dock. But for this analysis, lets just say that all ships are active throughout the entire year. Some ships have two sailings per week, with others doing a 5/5/4 sailings over a two week period, and then there are the ships that sail a full week or more. Based on the ships sailing their same schedule thoughout the year, there are approximately 32 embarkations per week, if the average ship capacity for Carnival Cruise Lines per week is 2,500 passengers, that is 80,000 passengers cruise each week, or 4.16 million passengers per year.

Now let's assume that only 1% of the passengers are Platinum or Diamond, that is 80 passengers per week or 4,160 passengers per year. But 1% is too low, it is probably more in the 5% of all passengers, so that puts the number of passengers sailing in a given year of around 20k.

But that does not mean that there are 20,000 Platinum or Diamond members, in fact that number probably should be cut in half given the fact that these members sail 2 or more times a year. Therefore, my guess would be around 10,000, but probably less than that.

This is just a quick math way of looking at this.

Not to be critical but your math is off. 1% of 80,000 is 800 not 80 and 1% of 4.16 million is 41,600 rather than 4,160. I know the 1% is just an assumption on your part but the error basically blows up the theory. Following the logic to the end it would make your final number 100,000 rather than 10,000. Can't see the number being that high.

Hi Linda, We hope you and the family are doing well. I think John said there were 36 or 38 diamonds on the BC6 cruise. We had 21 on the 18 day Destiny TA. As Lynda mentioned Noonan had nice things to say about you & your family. We really enjoyed our time with Kevin and Gemma.

Now that the past guest party is limited to Gold, Platinum and Diamomd members it is a little easier to judge the percentage for each sailing. On the Carnival Magic last week I would guess less than 300 at that party or less than 10% of on board passengers.

There is already a thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=366497&highlight=platinum) about how many Platinum cruisers there are. As of August 19, 2011, there are 445 CC names listed (probably about 500 names total).

On our Splendor cruise in December, there were only 3 Diamond cruisers.

On our January 2013 we had 3 Diamond on the 1st leg and 5 Diamond on the 2nd leg of our B2B.

From a Face Book page related to this subject. That number will grow quite a bit by the end of this year as those that were close to 10 cruises will do what it takes to make it there.

Remember, Carnival appeals to a first time cruiser crowd. If you look around at the S/S cards, you will see far more blue than any other color.

If you have noticed most people did not start really racking up cruises untill the last 7 or 8 years so in a year or two those numbers will explode.

Archived