Nurses Onboard

FKSNIU2014

Thank you everyone for all the information! I figured you would need at least a few years of experience, but I was worried it would be closer to 10 years. I have an internship set up for this summer with a guaranteed hiring in the department I intern in. This will be a big help when I choose which department I want. Looks like ER or ICU!! Hopefully after a few years of working and living with my parents I'll be ready to attempt a contract or two on a ship :) My BF is about to start his Masters in engineering so maybe I can convince him to study Naval engineering and join me!

Good luck! I am also a nurse and a paramedic. I was hired into an ER in a level 1 trauma center right after I graduated from college. It was a huge learning curve but I had already worked as a basic EMT for 5 years. Some of the people on here have been a little negative in my mind. Check into job opportunities in the areas you are interested in. Don't let someone on here tell you that they won't hire you. Find out for yourself. And once you get your experience, you can try cruise ship nursing for 6 months and see if you like it. If nothing else, it will be a good experience. But it sounds like you have a great attitude. Hope everything works out for you and you get your dream job! :)

Good luck! I am also a nurse and a paramedic. I was hired into an ER in a level 1 trauma center right after I graduated from college. It was a huge learning curve but I had already worked as a basic EMT for 5 years. Some of the people on here have been a little negative in my mind. Check into job opportunities in the areas you are interested in. Don't let someone on here tell you that they won't hire you. Find out for yourself. And once you get your experience, you can try cruise ship nursing for 6 months and see if you like it. If nothing else, it will be a good experience. But it sounds like you have a great attitude. Hope everything works out for you and you get your dream job! :)

Of course one would be hired in a land facility, but never turned to work on their own with no experience in the real world. They need guidance.

On a ship scenario, where there's 1 or 2 nurses only, out to sea etc, would a ship want to hire a person who needs to pull out a textbook to find out what they need to do?

I hate to burst your bubble, but I am a nurse and can speak from experience. There is no way you know enough to work on a cruise ship. Any job you get as a graduate nurse with no REAL experience will be a learning curve for you. You certainly didn't learn everything you need in nursing school. You learn the very basics and where and how to get the info you need to practice. Included in the where to get the info is your fellow workers, who will be a valuable asset to you as you start your career. I don't know how many nurses there are on a cruise ship, but I doubt that there are enough to be schooling the inexperienced. My instructors in nursing school referred frequently to the day when we would be done with school and would meet the "REAL WORLD". Give yourself sometime in that world before you try to take on morre than you are qualified for.

Bubble burster..... :rolleyes:

You might want to consider, after a couple of years of training in a busy ED, working in a fairly busy rural hospital. You will be able to do more there since there won't be residents or trauma fellows there. I've worked in four ERs ranging from a Level 2 trauma center (in an area without any other trauma centers nearby) to a very small rural department to a VERY busy urban department. Each place had it's own learning opportunities.

Make sure you get your CEN or CCRN as soon as possible, and even though it isn't listed as a requirement, I would strongly recommend you get PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support--just in case the unthinkable happen), ENPC (Emergency Nurse Pediatric Course--helps you recognize sick kids BEFORE they code), and TNCC (Trauma Nurse Core Course--again, better safe than sorry). I'm also assuming you are graduating with your BSN.

Good luck with boards. Keep studying and growing in our profession. You are the one who will be taking care of the rest of us when we get too old and broken to work any longer. :p

Of course one would be hired in a land facility, but never turned to work on their own with no experience in the real world. They need guidance.

On a ship scenario, where there's 1 or 2 nurses only, out to sea etc, would a ship want to hire a person who needs to pull out a textbook to find out what they need to do?

Ahhh. You must have been one of those negative people I was talking about. And I wasn't talked about the OP being hired on a ship with no experience. I was talking about her wanting to get hired in an ICU or ER after nursing school.

I am a travel nurse in ICU and trauma. I looked in to that before I started traveling and decided it wasn't for me. Very long hours and not as much of a team if something goes wrong but the main reason it wasn't for me is because I figured if I am on a cruise ship working like crazy for 6-10 months out of a year then I don't think I would enjoy going on a cruise during my time off!!!! So instead I decided to travel nurse for good money in awesome places and every 13 weeks I can take time off and cruise if I want! I am planning on going on 2 maybe 3 this year and I will be relaxing the entire cruise!!! NOT WORKING!!!! Good luck in your career and in cruise nursing if you decide its for you!

Ahhh. You must have been one of those negative people I was talking about. And I wasn't talked about the OP being hired on a ship with no experience. I was talking about her wanting to get hired in an ICU or ER after nursing school.

I said the same thing, that people are hired. I think you put your own spin on the post.

It has been a long time since I was a "new" graduate. I decided to join the Air Force to see the world and still practice my skills. Forty-five +years later and retired I can say that being thrown to the wolves does help one learn to be resourceful. Less than six months after graduation I was the night supervisor with my 2nd Lt. title. Thank goodness for experienced corpmen as the Vietnam War was going on at that time and we were sorely understaffed and over patiented. Many times the entire hospital had only 3 or 4 nurses on duty at night. I wouldn't trade it for anything however. Good luck with your career and I hope you end up being as happy with your choice to become a nurse as I was with mine.

Edited by katisdale

I'm finishing up nursing school this year and last spring I asked the cruise nurse what the hiring requirements were. She mentioned the "three years at least in an ER or ICU" requirement.

I think it's a great ambition you have! If you get the experience you need I think you should apply and see what happens. But keep in mind the excellent point that if you work on a cruise ship you might end up not enjoying cruising as a vacation as much as you used to.

*I* would suggest that you need to do some more research. You should go on a cruise or four sometime between now and graduation and make a point to talk to the medical staff in person. Yes, a cruise or four would be essential research for this IMHO! ;)

Good luck!

I'm finishing up nursing school this year and last spring I asked the cruise nurse what the hiring requirements were. She mentioned the "three years at least in an ER or ICU" requirement.

I think it's a great ambition you have! If you get the experience you need I think you should apply and see what happens. But keep in mind the excellent point that if you work on a cruise ship you might end up not enjoying cruising as a vacation as much as you used to.

*I* would suggest that you need to do some more research. You should go on a cruise or four sometime between now and graduation and make a point to talk to the medical staff in person. Yes, a cruise or four would be essential research for this IMHO! ;)

Good luck!

I like you!!! I'd suggest you wait until after boards though. You'll need your brain cells. :D

I am a travel nurse in ICU and trauma. I looked in to that before I started traveling and decided it wasn't for me. Very long hours and not as much of a team if something goes wrong but the main reason it wasn't for me is because I figured if I am on a cruise ship working like crazy for 6-10 months out of a year then I don't think I would enjoy going on a cruise during my time off!!!! So instead I decided to travel nurse for good money in awesome places and every 13 weeks I can take time off and cruise if I want! I am planning on going on 2 maybe 3 this year and I will be relaxing the entire cruise!!! NOT WORKING!!!! Good luck in your career and in cruise nursing if you decide its for you!

OP Hi and Hi Nat_myshelle,

This is another great idea....I have had a few wonderful friends met through the years doing this...Sarah

I am an RN with 18 years of experience. I have worked everywhere from a nursing home DON to my current position as ER case manager. I still work in the ER a few shifts a month because I just can't get emergency nursing out of my blood :) For the last six years (before I took my current position in December), I worked in the ER of a small rural hospital. I am certified in ACLS, PALS, emergency nursing, and sexual assault victims management/ forensic evidence collection. With every job change that I have made, I have learned new things and broadened my horizons. I am married with children, but if I wasn't (with my current level of experience) I would jump at the chance to try something new. I think this is an awesome idea OP! I don't think I would want to do it for life, but one contract would be a good experience, in my opinion. If you have the desire and the opportunity, you should never give up the chance to try something new! Congrats and best of luck to you!!!!

This is my first time posting on here, but I'm no newbie to cruising (In fact, I've been on 12). Next year I will be graduating from college with a nursing degree, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on nurses on cruise ships. I think working on one would be amazing, but I don't know what lines require in terms of experience or what ship life is like. I figure I should do this type of thing while I'm young and don't have a lot of commitments yet :) Who wouldn't want to cruise 24/7!

My parents are platinum on Carnival and I'm two cruises away :) If I had the choice, Carnival or Princess would be my go to lines so if you know any bits of information I'd love to hear it :)

I can answer any questions you may have as I have worked as a nurse on a cruise ship for 3 contracts.... First and foremost you must have a few years of hospital experience incl ER and OR if possible, so probably at least 5 yrs post grad to get some of that. I was Senior nurse too and you really needed all that experience as you are the first to be called for any emergency and do not always get the good fortune to work with the best physicians. IMHO it was hit and miss, but then I am also talking about several years ago. I would hope and think that the training and expectations for them has improved since.

I would still recommend this for every nurse to try, as it was a great experience and I really enjoyed it. Made many wonderful friends too.

• 3 years later...
I had a coworker, young and single, worked in ICU for 3 years and started on a cruise line. She said for the most part it was all routine with occassional true emergencies. She did only one contract for 6 months. She said that although the MD's office was closed, she had to be there long hours and had little time for herself. She said it is truly not as glamorous as she thought.

Hi. I'm debacs here. I'm a nurse. I have 1 year and 3 month experience in hospital based job setting. I worked as RN Emergency Department. I'm interest to work in ship base job before family responsibilities came along.

I'm a paramedic and I work for a large amusement park chain as a medic and when I go into the park as a guest it's hard not to notice all the little "behind the scenes" things going on. You know what all radio code is and even though you can only hear one side you know exactly what's going down and where. You also spot the trouble from the top of every ride too. It definitely colors your vision being on the working side of things. I know it's not nursing and not a cruise ship but it's my experience mixing work with pleasure. I still love the park as an employee and a guest but things are definitely different now.

This is my first time posting on here, but I'm no newbie to cruising (In fact, I've been on 12). Next year I will be graduating from college with a nursing degree, and I was wondering if anyone had any info on nurses on cruise ships. I think working on one would be amazing, but I don't know what lines require in terms of experience or what ship life is like. I figure I should do this type of thing while I'm young and don't have a lot of commitments yet :) Who wouldn't want to cruise 24/7!

My parents are platinum on Carnival and I'm two cruises away :) If I had the choice, Carnival or Princess would be my go to lines so if you know any bits of information I'd love to hear it :)

I'm pretty sure you have to have significant ICU/CCU or ER experience, be ACLS certified, You'd have to be qualified to manage vents until air evac. I looked into it a couple of years ago - and I have no desire to go back and get ACLS advanced certification

as well as dealing with the slip/falls .... and please get the providers to write a little neater...I'm reviewing a case with cruise line medical records and I can't read the darn things!!

Check this out: https://www.ncl.com/about/careers/corporate-employment/job-opportunities/27234

With every job change that I have made, I have learned new things and broadened my horizons. I am married with children, but if I wasn't (with my current level of experience) I would jump at the chance to try something new. I think this is an awesome idea OP! I don't think I would want to do it for life, but one contract would be a good experience, in my opinion. If you have the desire and the opportunity, you should never give up the chance to try something new! Congrats and best of luck to you!!!!

So true! the only career things I regret are the ones I didn't do. I made the very bad choice of not traveling because of a boyfriend when I was in my 20's and you couldn't pay me to go back into that kind of nursing now! I'll happily review records and advise attorneys...No patient care for me :rolleyes:

I have a friend that is a travel nurse and now works exclusively for cruises through Dialysis at Sea.

She does get a lot of downtime at ports - that's when the majority of her patients are not on the ship. She loves the flexibility and usually has 6 months of cruises lined up at a time.

Of course, I have no firsthand knowledge of the working conditions, but her travel pictures are awesome and she is living her dream.