Majesty still in port?

Welcome back.

Just to let you know what a safe and intelligent decision your Captain made. We have heard all sorts of horror stories from those at sea last week.

Not to mention the Fred. Olsen inter-island ferry that departed from Los Cristianos(south Tenerife) en route to La Palma Sunday p.m only to find that the harbour was closed at S:C de La Palma for safety, then tried to return to Los. C which had also been forced to close by then. Eventually to end up in Santa Cruz after 11 hours of terror. Good for you Thomsons and the Majesty´s Captain !!

mari, Lanzarote

Thank you for that Mari as one of the passengers on that cruise I was so pleased the Captain made that decision.

He told us that the smaller ports closed if the wind reached 25kts and it was 35kts.

We also heard that some of the airports had to close too.

Doesn't it beggar belief that so many people can be so short-sighted and frankly stupid to want to risk going out in storms of that severity? :rolleyes: I too would have been more than happy and very relieved to stay withing the safety of a harbour!

We've been on board when some passengers have come up with the most ridiculous comments and conspiracy theories. Like once on Celebration when, after a delayed departure due to a computer part being required for one engine, a guy said to me 'You can tell that port engine's still not working properly - look at the wake!' Well I know nothing about the techinical aspects of a ship but I did point out that apart from the delay which clearly we couldn't make up we'd kept to schedule ever since and travelled about 2,000 miles at that stage so it must be doing ok! But he wouldn't have it! He had his pet theory that the engine was kaput and no-one was going to persuade him otherwise!

I can understand people might be disappointed that their cruise didn't work out as planned - but when the situation is out of Thomson's control like seriously bad weather - you just have to accept it. Or anyone with any sense would!

Anyway so pleased you are all back safely. Great that you managed to link up eventually Jakanne and Scarey Mary. At least with lovely food, some good company (avoiding the complainers!) and a positive mind-set you all made the most of your trip. :) And as you say you'll never forget it! ;)

Hope you soon recover ekco - aren't some folk so inconsiderate? :mad:

I would also be glad we stayed out of the storm.

As for the OBC we have missed ports before, I'm sure everyone has, but have never been given any credit. So that was just a bonus from a considerate Captain.

Welcome back, everyone, although you will be wishing you hadn't bothered in this weather :eek:

Looking forward to hearing all your news.

Cannot believe that some people were kicking up a fuss about what amounts to the weather :rolleyes:

I see there was a scathing 'review' of that cruise on cruisdot. more of a rant really.

I see what you mean Dave. Lots of people moaned about the £25 compensation we got fed up of hearing them. I would gladly have paid the Captain £25 or more to stay in port in 9/10 gale force winds and not have to stay at sea because the ports were closed.

The only reason we got back to Tenerife was because the winds had died down slightly and it has tugs to help if we had got into difficulties.

I have put this on as a comment on the other side but have not commented on his 'review'. We did not like the Majesty and will not go on her again but it was def. not that bad and the entertainment was brilliant.

I see there was a scathing 'review' of that cruise on cruisdot. more of a rant really.

I've added my comment as well. I found it surprising how many people had not checked the weather forecast for the Canaries beforehand. They obviously did not have access to the web site you gave me about wave heights either! :D

Good comments on the other site Jackie and Mary :)

What a moaner! I expect they booked late, had to have what was left, cabinwise. If I had to be stuck somewhere for 3 days, there are certainly worst places than Gran Canaria :rolleyes: Agadir for instance :eek:

GC is our favourite Canary Island :) and the weather was certainly better there than out at sea :eek::rolleyes:

Good comments on the other site Jackie and Mary :)

What a moaner! I expect they booked late, had to have what was left, cabinwise. If I had to be stuck somewhere for 3 days, there are certainly worst places than Gran Canaria. Agadir for instance :eek:

GC is our favourite Canary Island :) and the weather was certainly better there than out at sea :eek::rolleyes:

We met 2 old friends from where we used to live on the cruise. Such a shock to see them. They booked less than a week before and had an inside standard deck 6 cabin and didn't complain. It was their first cruise and he felt sea sick one night so I gave him some ginger root capsules and he was fine the next night. She saw our cabin, outside plus, but still seemed satisfied with their own, and they did get it a lot cheaper. :eek:

We both liked Las Palmas and agreed we could spend a week land based holiday there. Wonderful beach and promenade but sea a bit cold. We found lots to do in port.

My comment is related to the high wind issue and ship not sailing, I agree the safety of passengers and crew is got to be a must in my books. I have been concerned re this ship since we booked I discovered she has had a chequered past. grounded once, and there is video footage i have just seen on the web of a wave breaking the windows of the ship and two passengers killed and several more injured in the med around spain just a couple of years ago. then just a few weeks ago the tragic accident with the crew. I would not question a decison not to sail, i would question the decision to sail when unsafe to do so.

I wish someone could reassure me that the ship sails often with no problems, I keep trying to tell myself that, as she sails week on week. :eek:

Can I ask what you didn't like about the Majesty, Mary? We really liked it :)

Sorry Linda I've only just seen this.

We just didn't like the layout most of the bars were in corridors. Def didn't like the buffet on deck 10 and thought food in here was poor compared to the other Thomson ships. It was also always cold. They really need to get the Jubillee lounge sorted out, people were standing around and talking trying to get seats while the show was still on. Didn't like how you could just go in anytime, the other ships the lounge has always cleared in between shows and not let anyone else in when the show has started. It didn't help either that we couldn't trust them with the gluten free for hubby. He was quite ill for three days.:( He daren't risk anything from the buffet only the fresh chips and on an evening they gave him the wrong meal twice that we know to. The choice of desserts for him was pathetic - cheese (on it's own) or ice cream.:(

Moaning over. :)

On the positive side the entertainment was brilliant, saw lots of old friends on staff from the Spirit and the food in the Four Seasons on an evening was lovely really enjoyed that even though I am sure one of the waiters was determined to knock me off my chair every night. Also enjoyed Le Bistro.

We did enjoy it but would not go on her again, even more so because of hubby. He has never lost weight on a cruise before!!!!!. I have wrote to Thomson asking them to make sure the staff are better trained in special diet needs.

Hi there yes mary agree with you have held back doing a review on this ship because of the terrible circumstances that befell our cruise on majesty, I felt that people may think I didnt like the ship because of what had happened but also I know a lot of people are booked to go on her and I didnt want to spoil anything for anybody. BUT it was the layout that we didnt like also the buffet restaurant was a complete free for all. The four seasons was a much calmer environment than the seven seas although it was lovely to see Leroy again. We came to this conclusion quite soon after boarding and well before the accident happened also we didnt feel it was as stable in the water as say the dream could it be that stabilisers werent being used as often as they should. I probably wont go on again but that would be a mix of not liking the ship quite as much as the other thomson ships and of course the bad memories. Staff as per usual were superb and conducted themselves with so much dignity after the accident that I was quite in awe of them and thomson should be so proud of them all. Hope you dont mind what I have said but I think this like island escape could be like marmite you either love or hate it. I still love Island escape though. ps dont like marmite

Hi there yes mary agree with you have held back doing a review on this ship because of the terrible circumstances that befell our cruise on majesty, I felt that people may think I didnt like the ship because of what had happened but also I know a lot of people are booked to go on her and I didnt want to spoil anything for anybody. BUT it was the layout that we didnt like also the buffet restaurant was a complete free for all. The four seasons was a much calmer environment than the seven seas although it was lovely to see Leroy again. We came to this conclusion quite soon after boarding and well before the accident happened also we didnt feel it was as stable in the water as say the dream could it be that stabilisers werent being used as often as they should. I probably wont go on again but that would be a mix of not liking the ship quite as much as the other thomson ships and of course the bad memories. Staff as per usual were superb and conducted themselves with so much dignity after the accident that I was quite in awe of them and thomson should be so proud of them all. Hope you dont mind what I have said but I think this like island escape could be like marmite you either love or hate it. I still love Island escape though. ps dont like marmite

Know what you mean I only put the comment on because Linda asked why I didn't like it I didn't want to moan on here because we did enjoy the cruise but def. prefer the other ships. Also what happened with hubby didn't help.:(

Shame on me when I was giving the positives I forgot to mention the superb staff.

Ps I don't like the Escape and def do not like marmite.:D

I didn't like it I didn't want to moan on here because we did enjoy the cruise but def. prefer the other ships. Also what happened with hubby didn't help.:(

Thanks for the feedback Mary and infoqueen. Please don't think your comments would be judged (by me at least - and many others I believe) as being 'moans'. I keep saying this but we must take care not to dismiss genuine comparisons about our likes/dislikes of ships as being complaints. You can like white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate but I suspect most people will be able to rank them in terms of their favourite and least favourite. And likewise most of us are able to rate the Thomson ships in terms of our individual preferences. It doesn't mean we didn't have a good cruise - it's just all comparative from your own point of view.

I consider reviews in exactly the same way - some people like one thing - other prefer another. I would say the odd review is a moan - and we can pick those out - like those complaining about the Majesty having to stay in port last week due to the weather. Now in my book that is a moan and I would judge it so on the grounds of it being the reasonable thing for the Capt to do in the circumstances - and it's unreasonable for passengers to take issue with that professional decision.

But well explained comparisons or reasons for likes/dislikes are all part of what I look for in reviews - it helps me decide whether aspects of a ship or itinerary fit with what we are seeking from a cruise and adds to the bank of knowledge to help in that process. So your reviews are definitely not a moan in my book but a helpful addition to the information available about this or any other ship. (And thanks too in the circumstances infoqueen - it must be quite upsetting re-visiting some memories of your cruise.)

Thanks for taking the time to feed back both of you. :)

I will agree that Majesties layout is not ideal. the bar arrangements just do not work for me. The Polo Bar is like a corridor and it can't be cosy because you can't get a seat at the bar. The observatory could be a good Horizons bar but not with classical musicians and only 2 bar stools!. As for them changing things - fat chance.

Mentioning Horizons reminds me that Celebration/Spirit have the best bar layouts I have seen on a ship. Three distinct bars with their own characters. Old Destiny was good as well with her 4 distinct bars. Dream is not so good with only 2 internal bars as the Medusa lounge does not count as the bar is so small. My 'P&O' ship Ventura has, despite her size, only has 2 internal bars that I would count as a bar and they are changing one of those into a wine bar :mad: Oceana is pretty good with the Yacht & Compass and Winners.

I will agree that Majesties layout is not ideal. the bar arrangements just do not work for me. The Polo Bar is like a corridor and it can't be cosy because you can't get a seat at the bar. The observatory could be a good Horizons bar but not with classical musicians and only 2 bar stools!. As for them changing things - fat chance.

Just a quickie as just got in and dinner to make. :(. I tried the bar seats in the Polo Lounge and they were too high for me too and when I eventually climbed up DH said "Let's try somewhere else" and we had a delicious curry, rice and chips on the top deck at midnight!

I also counted the bar stools in the Observatory and there are now 5, but still too tall! :D

Mentioning Horizons reminds me that Celebration/Spirit have the best bar layouts I have seen on a ship. Three distinct bars with their own characters. Old Destiny was good as well with her 4 distinct bars. Dream is not so good with only 2 internal bars as the Medusa lounge does not count as the bar is so small. My 'P&O' ship Ventura has, despite her size, only has 2 internal bars that I would count as a bar and they are changing one of those into a wine bar :mad: Oceana is pretty good with the Yacht & Compass and Winners.

Not having another ship to compare with we liked the Polo Lounge best at night as it had a "buzzy" atmosphere whereas the others seemed quieter with less character/atmosphere.

Your all really cheering me up lol

Off on Majesty in July ....hope we like it! :D:D

You will. I'm booked to go back in September with a week in the Thomas Bay and I hope you like it there or I'm in trouble! No stress! :eek::D

Archived