(my) Passages Confusion

C 2 C

Somewhere over the years my recollection (CRS member) of selecting a future cruise booking differed from Celebrity's terminology.

I would book a cruise with a firm date that I wanted and I would get a Celebrity Passage if I wanted similar OBC once I decided upon a sailing while I was at home.:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/11022582_CEL_Passages.pdf

Now I find out that Celebrity calls both of these "passages", one a "Reserved Passage" booked onboard and the other an "Open Passage"

The small print is quite significant since I believed that a cruise booking could be canceled without penalty at anytime but a "Passage" booking is non refundable ie. an onboard booking cannot be canceled without losing your initial deposit of $200.

Has anyone else come across this change in policy or has this been the policy all along?

Somewhere over the years my recollection (CRS member) of selecting a future cruise booking differed from Celebrity's terminology.

I would book a cruise with a firm date that I wanted and I would get a Celebrity Passage if I wanted similar OBC once I decided upon a sailing while I was at home.:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/11022582_CEL_Passages.pdf

Now I find out that Celebrity calls both of these "passages", one a "Reserved Passage" booked onboard and the other an "Open Passage"

The small print is quite significant since I believed that a cruise booking could be canceled without penalty at anytime but a "Passage" booking is non refundable ie. an onboard booking cannot be canceled without losing your initial deposit of $200.

Has anyone else come across this change in policy or has this been the policy all along?

I just booked three cruises while on board a cruise and was told (and I questioned it and made him repeat it) that if I canceled I had my choice of converting the deposit to a Passages certificate or getting it back in cash.

I'm almost a CRS Member. In the past a firm booking on board was a booking, not a passages. You could cancel the cruise and get your deposit refunded if it was not past final payment. You also would get an upgrade depending on the category you booked.

A certificate for a future cruise was called a Passage, the deposit never expired but was not refunded in the event it was not used or if the cruise was cancelled.

There was no upgrade in stateroom at the time of booking.

It looks like Celebrity just renamed the programs.

Mary Lou

I just booked three cruises while on board a cruise and was told (and I questioned it and made him repeat it) that if I canceled I had my choice of converting the deposit to a Passages certificate or getting it back in cash.

That was also my recollection until a booking was canceled by Celebrity this past weekend.

When I switched from a short cruise to a longer one, I had a conflict and wanted to cancel the overlapping booking. I was then told that Open Passages when cancelled cannot be refunded when applied to a firm booking.

From Celebrity's website:

. If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit.

That was also my recollection until a booking was canceled by Celebrity this past weekend.

When I switched from a short cruise to a longer one, I had a conflict and wanted to cancel the overlapping booking. I was then told that Open Passages when cancelled cannot be refunded when applied to a firm booking.

From Celebrity's website:

I never had an Open Passages certificate. Booked with a cash deposit.

And as far as cancelling bookings that are made with Passages certificates , you just have to retain the booking number and transfer it to another cruise. It isn't refunded but it is able to be used again to book another cruise.

Did you book both of your cruises while on board or was either booked with a Passages certificate that you had?

Xellent

Can you post the link to X's website where you found that info please! I have searched and searched for anything on Passages.

Cheers

Christine

Amazing is it not that Celebrity does not post these facts in their FAQ but Google found the link:

By the way the wording is different from the certificate from a year earlier.

I called Captain's Club and the person was not aware of the policy as printed and when I contacted my Travel Agent, the new policy was confirmed by Celebrity. The agency had not been informed of the new policy and my question was the first indication that the penalty is now in effect.

I called Captain's Club and the person was not aware of the policy as printed and when I contacted my Travel Agent, the new policy was confirmed by Celebrity. The agency had not been informed of the new policy and my question was the first indication that the penalty is now in effect.

I don't see a penalty

BTW - When we booked 1,2,3 was in effect so I didn't get OBC OR any upgrade!!

When your clients book their next Celebrity cruise onboard they can receive a Shipboard Credit up to $300*,

FREE Upgrade of up to 3-Categories, Plus a Reduced Deposit of only $100

USD

PER PERSON.

Reservations are created through the guest’s preferred Travel Professional. You, as their preferred Travel

Professional, will finalize all details and receive full credit for the booking.

CELEBRITY CRUISES RESERVES THE RIGHT TO IMPOSE A FUEL SUPPLEMENT OF UP TO $10USD PER GUEST PER DAY ON ALL GUESTS IF THE PRICE OF WEST TEXAS INTERMEDIATE

FUEL EXCEEDS $65.00 PER BARREL.

Terms and conditions:

US Residents: Guest will receive an onboard credit in the value of $50-$300 USD. Maximum ONE Onboard credit per stateroom can be applied to an Open Passage account. Onboard

credit value is based on length of sailing and will be assigned per stateroom, when ship and sailing date is selected. Open Passage Onboard Credit is not combinable with discount offers.

Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited. If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any

reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. Guest may apply the value of their Open Passage account against the cost of a Celebrity Cruises®

individual or group cruise, however it is non-transferable to another guest. An Open Passage account may be transferred into a Group but not until final payment for the Group. Captain’s

Club plus shareholder onboard credits and other onboard credit or dollars off promotions are not combinable with the onboard credit for booking an Open Passage or any other future

cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on an Open Passage account. An Open Passage account is not valid on any other cruise line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity Cruise

I don't see a penalty

New wording:

Terms and conditions:

US Residents: Guest will receive an onboard credit in the value of $50-$300 USD. Maximum ONE Onboard credit per stateroom can be applied to an Open Passage account. Onboard

credit value is based on length of sailing and will be assigned per stateroom, when ship and sailing date is selected. Open Passage Onboard Credit is not combinable with discount offers.

Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited. If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any

reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. Guest may apply the value of their Open Passage account against the cost of a Celebrity Cruises®

individual or group cruise, however it is non-transferable to another guest. An Open Passage account may be transferred into a Group but not until final payment for the Group. Captain’s

Club plus shareholder onboard credits and other onboard credit or dollars off promotions are not combinable with the onboard credit for booking an Open Passage or any other future

cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on an Open Passage account. An Open Passage account is not valid on any other cruise line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity Cruises®.

Canadian Residents: Guest will receive an onboard credit in the value of $50-$300 USD. Maximum ONE Onboard credit per stateroom can be applied to an Open Passage account.

Onboard credit value is based on length of sailing and will be assigned per stateroom, when ship and sailing date is selected. Open Passage Onboard Credit is not combinable with discount

offers. Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited. If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels

for any reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. Guest may apply the value of their Open Passage account against the cost of a Celebrity

Cruises® individual or group cruise. An Open Passage account may be transferred to another guest. An Open Passage account may be transferred into a Group but not until final payment

for the Group. Captain’s Club Discounts, Savings Certificates, plus shareholder onboard credits and other onboard credit or dollars off promotions are not combinable with the onboard

credit for booking an Open Passage or any other future cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on an Open Passage account. An Open Passage account is not valid on any other cruise

line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity Cruises®.

©2011 Celebrity Cruises, Inc. Ships’ registry: Malta & Ecuador. 11022582 • 4/2011

New wording:

I still don't see a penalty

Quote:

Terms and conditions:

cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on an Open Passage account. An Open Passage account is not valid on any other cruise line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity Cruises®.

Canadian Residents: Guest will receive an onboard credit in the value of $50-$300 USD. Maximum ONE Onboard credit per stateroom can be applied to an Open Passage account.

Onboard credit value is based on length of sailing and will be assigned per stateroom, when ship and sailing date is selected. Open Passage Onboard Credit is not combinable with discount

offers. Converting an Open Passage account to select restricted fares is prohibited. If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels

for any reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. Guest may apply the value of their Open Passage account against the cost of a Celebrity

Cruises® individual or group cruise. An Open Passage account may be transferred to another guest. An Open Passage account may be transferred into a Group but not until final payment

for the Group. Captain’s Club Discounts, Savings Certificates, plus shareholder onboard credits and other onboard credit or dollars off promotions are not combinable with the onboard

credit for booking an Open Passage or any other future cruise onboard. There is no expiration date on an Open Passage account. An Open Passage account is not valid on any other cruise

line, including any other affiliates of Celebrity Cruises®.

©2011 Celebrity Cruises, Inc. Ships’ registry: Malta & Ecuador. 11022582 • 4/2011

I still don't see a penalty

[/Quote]

If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any

reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit

The policy states that you get your money back "less" the value of the deposit ie. you lose the initial $200.

The policy states that you get your money back "less" the value of the deposit ie. you lose the initial $200.

Read the highlighted pink section - you can apply that $200 to another cruise - you just can't get it back in cash.

Read the highlighted pink section - you can apply that $200 to another cruise - you just can't get it back in cash.

There are many people who have either had a bad experience and don't want another Celebrity Cruise or for medical reasons can't take another cruise.

In 2012 I cancelled several cruises that were booked through an open Passage because I wanted to book 1-2-3 specials instead. My deposits were refunded. Passages now have more booking restrictions than ever before and are of limited used now that Celebrity seems to have a different special every month.

You can't even use an Open Passage while on board to book a cruise according to the wording.

It's just that the wording has been altered from past Passages Certificates and it may cost you if circumstances change.

This was their policy when we purchased our 1st open passage 5 cruises/years ago. I don't see a change.

Mary Lou

Up until 2012 I was always able to get a full refund of any booking made with an Open Passage. It was the Open Passage that could not be refunded.

I am a great believer in maintaining a reasonably accurate vocabularly; hence, I usually eschew the use of acronyms. I would hope that those who do not share my beliefs, in this regard, would be kind enough to explain their use of said acronyms, when so requested. Or even better, avoid the use of said acronyms altogether.

Arno, for openers, the deposit for an open booking is only $100. Just get it in one of your names. You are free to add another person at any time (then you will have to pay another $100).

If you've used an open passage to book a particular cruise and you don't want to take that particular cruise for whatever reason, you can TRANSFER the booking to another cruise. The deposit requirements will remain the same and you do not lose your deposit. You can keep moving the booking until you achieve a cruise you can actually go on. Just make sure you keep the same booking number (the number on your certificate).

If you CANCEL a cruise booked with an open passage, then you do lose your deposit amount.

Those have been the rules since I started cruising with Celebrity.

If you CANCEL a cruise booked with an open passage, then you do lose your deposit amount.

Those have been the rules since I started cruising with Celebrity.

The new rules turns all bookings made on board into "Passages", not just an "Open Passage"

Over the years I have never, with at least half a dozen experiences, lost a deposit after canceling a booking made with a passage, despite the small print following **

However the incident that caused me to start this thread..

was not about the examples so far involving cancellation of an open passage morphed into a firm booking but:

While on board over a month ago we booked 5 consecutive short cruises which Celebrity now labels a "A Reserved Passage". Last week Celebrity emailed me that the first of these had been chartered and that I had to contact them concerning this cancelled cruise booking.

I then booked two consecutive 14 day cruises using two of the booking numbers which would have us onboard for about the same time period. I now wanted to cancel the other three bookings because they were for the same time period and I was told that the cancellation of a Passage booking made on board would involve the loss of the deposit.

Celebrity changed the terminology to include any booking made on board to a "Passage" booking so that the same penalty would now apply as an Open Booking small print.

Archived