Plain & Simple, Gerry Cahill Must Go

Wennfred

If not, why not? What good are they, then?

Its more of a Safety inspection, like when they board your seadoo or bass boat to check for a fire extinguisher and life vest.

Hopefully a retired Coast Guard inspector can post on what they really do.

Fred

Really? why now??? what a joke.

In remarks made Tuesday at an annual cruise industry conference in Miami, Carnival CEO Gerry Cahil said the cruise line had started a "comprehensive review of our entire fleet." That review, he said, focused on the prevention, detection and supression of fires; engine room "redundancies;" what hotel facilities might be provided and might run off emergency generators; and what "changes we can make from the first three items and how we implement those."

I guess better Late then never.

Fred

Its more of a Safety inspection, like when they board your seadoo or bass boat to check for a fire extinguisher and life vest.

Hopefully a retired Coast Guard inspector can post on what they really do.

Fred

Probably. Airlines are subject to much more, and all the paperwork has to be in order. Perhaps time for the USCG to do more? Or for someone to watch the watchers?

So who would all you experts put in his chair then, who would you have run the cruise line. Who is your saviour?

Sometimes it's not about a savior, sometimes it's all about perception..

From a financial standpoint Cahill has done excellent work (which I appreciate as a stockholder) BUT the buck has to stop somewhere, weather skimping on maintenance or just a run of bad luck it has to appear that someone is being held accountable and that someone has to be the head of the company.. Perhaps Mickey Arison will take a few minutes away from the basketball team and actually RUN his company

Probably. Airlines are subject to much more, and all the paperwork has to be in order. Perhaps time for the USCG to do more? Or for someone to watch the watchers?

What watchers? they probably have that one Lido Deck table cleaner checking the engine space gauges once before and after their Lido Deck shift. Dude we are talking cut backs, like running a skeleton crew in these spaces.

At this point, who is fighting fires?

The only thing they have is keeping their fingers cross.

Fred

This is what happens when someone new comes in, takes something that is perfect and tries to fix it.

It's like some weird Karma.

Everything about how this line is run, even how they 'social network' it, has lead to this mess. You can't put out crap and then expect things to go well.

They need to make some attitude changes and fast. A new attitude can come from a new CEO. One who finds a good balance between quality and profit.

It's good to see you Fred :)

So who would all you experts put in his chair then, who would you have run the cruise line. Who is your saviour?

Don't know, but here's what I would do (Carnival are you listening?)

1. Be totally up front and honest. Apoligize for recent mishaps and take full responsibility.

2. Put in place a plan to thoroughly check out EVERY ship in the fleet, even if it means pulling them offline for a few days. PUBLICIZE THIS

EFFORT AND MAKE IT PLAIN THAT PASSENGER SAFETY IS #1

3. Publicize a new inititiative which will emphasize SAFETY, MAINTENANCE AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

4. Begin a new publicity campaign that will focus on MORE not less

A. More and better entertainment

B. Upgrades to the MDR menu. Hire a world renowned chef to upgrade the experience

C. Introduce BETTER perks for loyal cruisers including a NIGHTLY EVENT for Platinum and above which will feature complimentary wine and other goodies

5. Label this initiative "THE NEW AND BETTER CARNIVAL - THERE FOR YOU"

6. Fire all the "Beards" who have been responsible for the cutbacks. Get

rid of the dead wood and bring is people who have been successful in other

venues.

7. Be honest in the publicity... e.g., "YES, YOU MAY PAY A LITTLE MORE, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE SO MUCH MORE YOU WILL BECOME TRUE CARNIVITES!"

I have always disagreed with Cahill's promotion to head of Carnival. You should never put a bean counter in charge of an industry that is customer driven. While some stockholder might have liked the early profits that he generated, it will cost the company in the end as do most of these promotions.

Unlike Uncle Bob who understood what it took to make people happy. I don't think Uncle Bob will come back, I hope to see one day someone in charge that truly appreciates the consumer.

welcome back Fred.

What watchers? they probably have that one Lido Deck table cleaner checking the engine space gauges once before and after their Lido Deck shift. Dude we are talking cut backs, like running a skeleton crew in these spaces.

At this point, who is fighting fires?

The only thing they have is keeping their fingers cross.

Fred

USCG is responsible for a lot including approving port and cruise ship security plans, inspecting cruise ships, etc. Who is looking over their shoulder? Especially with all the government cutbacks

Cruise ships have much of the same monitoring and control equipment that planes do, albeit for marine applications. Perhaps they are overdue for more stringent inspections.

1. Be totally up front and honest. Apoligize for recent mishaps and take full responsibility.

2. Put in place a plan to thoroughly check out EVERY ship in the fleet, even if it means pulling them offline for a few days. PUBLICIZE THIS

3. Publicize a new inititiative which will emphasize SAFETY, MAINTENANCE AND CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

B. Upgrades to the MDR menu. Hire a world renowned chef to upgrade

the experience

C. Introduce BETTER perks for loyal cruisers including a NIGHTLY EVENT

for Platinum and above which will feature complimentary wine and

other goodies

5. Label this initiative "THE NEW AND BETTER CARNIVAL - THERE FOR

YOU"

rid of the dead wood and bring is people who have successful in other

venues.

7. Be honest in the publicity... e.g., "YES, YOU MAY PAY A LITTLE MORE, BUT YOU WILL RECEIVE SO MUCH MORE YOU WILL BECOME TRUE CARNIVITES!"

Does the above not put the cost of the cruise up a lot?

And what does facial hair have to do with this!

Does the above not put the cost of the cruise up a lot?

And what does facial hair have to do with this!

I truly agree with what Yogimax wrote, it would really sell more tickets and bring the brand back up to possibly Par. Oh and I hope you dont have facial hair :D

Fred

B. Upgrades to the MDR menu. Hire a world renowned chef to upgrade the experience

C. Introduce BETTER perks for loyal cruisers including a NIGHTLY EVENT for Platinum and above which will feature complimentary wine and other goodies

5. Label this initiative "THE NEW AND BETTER CARNIVAL - THERE FOR YOU"

rid of the dead wood and bring is people who have been successful in other

venues.

This looks more like a private agenda - especially number 4. Carnival is the value leader. Let those who want to cruise on Royal do so - I don't want to. If people continue to whine about the loyalty program, Carnival should just eliminate it altogether. If people want perks - let them buy them.

The last thing Carnival needs is to try to be like Royal.

I am and I am lost, beards? Does Cahill have a beard or am I lost in space
LMAO...you must be new. :D

(Beards are corporate folk)

Your post made me laugh harder than I have in days...thank you!! :D

I have always disagreed with Cahill's promotion to head of Carnival. You should never put a bean counter in charge of an industry that is customer driven. While some stockholder might have liked the early profits that he generated, it will cost the company in the end as do most of these promotions.

Unlike Uncle Bob who understood what it took to make people happy. I don't think Uncle Bob will come back, I hope to see one day someone in charge that truly appreciates the consumer.

welcome back Fred.

Uncle Bob was as cheap as they come but has a personality. He is still on the Board of Directors. Corporate is who determines how much each cruise line is expected to return to corporate.

Ya know, Carnival, seems to have changed who they are gearing to. It is pretty well know that they now seem to cater to new cruiser. Well, it is times like this that should make them realize, it is those of us who return over and over again, that have brought new cruisers on board, that will probably keep on cruising with them. New cruisers, or those planning their first cruise, are probably shying away from Carnival right now. This would be a great time for them to once again, improve their loyalty program for past cruisers. We will be the ones filling their ships when the new cruiser will most likely be booking other lines.

I see, oh actually I don't see. I have seen them called suits but never beards. This is a weird an wonderful place this Cruise critic place. So why beards?

Funny, but I have NO clue LOL...and if you think this place is wonderful, that REALLY shows how new you are!! :p;)

Give it time. It becomes a love/hate relationship :D

Ya know, Carnival, seems to have changed who they are gearing to. It is pretty well know that they now seem to cater to new cruiser. Well, it is times like this that should make them realize, it is those of us who return over and over again, that have brought new cruisers on board, that will probably keep on cruising with them. New cruisers, or those planning their first cruise, are probably shying away from Carnival right now. This would be a great time for them to once again, improve their loyalty program for past cruisers. We will be the ones filling their ships when the new cruiser will most likely be booking other lines.

To heck with the loyalty program...improve the PRODUCT!

At least bring it back to what it once was. I'd return for sure if they did.

Archived