Plain & Simple, Gerry Cahill Must Go

Wennfred

I don't agree with this at all. WHENEVER a cruising discussion comes up with friends or family, the Concordia ALWAYS comes up.

Yes, but you probably have more of a group of "cruising" friends and family--those who cruise a lot or know a lot about cruising. It's different in a cruising group versus a non cruising group. I was sure that when we told our families that we were taking a Mediterranean cruise, I thought for sure someone would bring up Concordia, no one did. Even my MIL who worries about everything and thinks that the worst is always going to happen didn't mention Concordia and how that could happen to us.

Yes, but you probably have more of a group of "cruising" friends and family--those who cruise a lot or know a lot about cruising. It's different in a cruising group. I was sure that when we told our families that we were taking a Mediterranean cruise, I thought for sure someone would bring up Concordia, no one did. Even my MIL who worries about everything and thinks that the worst is always going to happen didn't mention Concordia and how that could happen to us.

They were being kind.

Just recently, some old cruising friends told us they were cruising <another line> and told me the price. Where I wanted to tell them they got ripped off, I smiled and said bon voyage.

When I hear someone tell me they are flying, I also NEVER bring up plane crashes, made easier these days as it's been a LONG time since there was a catrastrophe.

My first Carnival cruise was in July of 2009 on the Splendor. We went with my family and all of us (3 generations) thought it was excellent.:D Our service was outstanding, and the food and activities were top-notch.

My husband and I enjoyed it so much that we switched to Carnival from RCCL for our next 3 cruises out of Galveston, and then my whole family went on Carnival again (Dream) in the summer of 2011.

By the time we got off the Dream, DH and I knew it would be our last Carnival cruise for a while. We couldn't believe how much the product had changed in just two years. The thing we noticed the most in March 2011 on the Conquest and then in June on the Dream was how dramatically the reduction in wait staff impacted our dining experience. Even though our service people hustled like crazy, they just couldn't adequately serve the large number of people they were responsible for in a timely manner, and as a result the food quality suffered because cold food warmed up and hot food cooled off.:(

The other thing that we really noticed the last couple times we were on Carnival was that there just weren't many things to do that appealed to us...either during the day or in the evenings. We ended up sitting on our balcony most of the time, because without a dedicated and enforced adult pool area there really wasn't a peaceful public deck area to relax. I loved the Serenity area on the Ecstasy, but I found the location of it on the Dream to be less than serene!:eek: Even our balcony was noisy on the Dream...we were in an OS on Deck 7 and were WAY too close to the hot tub on the Lanai, which was packed with people from dawn to dusk.

In the 2 years since our cruise on the Dream I have read of other changes that are "deal-breakers" for me. The biggest would be changing breakfast and lunch in the MDR on sea days to a comedy brunch. We're not Lido people if we can find any other options, so I despise that change.:mad:

To what degree are the changes attributable to Cahill? I don't know. I think more than anything the changes in service and product are industry-wide, at least in the mass market cruise sector. Experienced cruisers with every line are complaining right now. We took our first Holland America cruise in November and loved it, but you would have thought we were going to have bread and water on a sinking ship for 11-nights by reading the the HAL boards before the cruise!:rolleyes:

Anyway, the decline in service and activities led us to go back to RCCL and also try other lines. I've found trying other lines is fun...it keeps cruising fresh and interesting even if you're on a familiar itinerary. Will we be back at some point? Probably, but I do find the recent problems a little disconcerting. What I don't know is what relationship, if any, there is between the recent mechanical issues and cost-cutting/financial policies/maintenance/Cahill.

First and foremost, Welcome back Fred!

The continued cutbacks and the degrading of the loyalty program is what got us to try RCCL and NCL. I never really liked the idea of "freestyle cruising," until I actually tried it and guess what? NCL is our first choice from here on out. In fact we fly to Tampa tomorrow to catch the Dawn.

Back to the original topic, CCL needs to go and find them a Kevin Sheehan. NCL, ranked at the bottom of nearly every category when he took over, and now the product and service are unparalleled when compared to the other main stream lines. I've said for the past 2 yrs he is the best in the industry right now, and CCL needs to go find them a man or woman of his caliber. The writing was on the wall when Vicki Freed, who had been with CCL for years, jumped ship to RCCL the minute Gerry was named CEO. She saw something that none of us would have ever predicted. The downgrading of the product to loyal and platinum guest like myself is utterly sad when you look at what CCL used to be...an industry leader and innovator now they are the leader in a category thats not good for the entire industry.

:) BRAVO! :)

(was going to add more, but I'll just stick with that) ;)

I just read a thread that stated that all cruise lines have issues and that the media is mostly attacking Carnival. This is not the norm, this is happening frequently now.

Well, ever since CEO Gerry Cahill took over the fleet, things have changed big time. For one, many loyal and good service crew members have left for other companies, even upper staff as in officers have left since Gerry Cahill took over. With all of these loyal employees when asked why? they all stated Gerry Cahill.

Cut backs and Saving money by possibly getting rid of Engineering staff and keeping up with a months Pre-schedule Maintenance System (PMS) is what is killing these fairly new ships or with ships that were in dry dock for overhaul.

You didnt see much of this with Micky Arison or Bob Dickinson. Things ran normal and im sure that back then Maintenance and their Employees were the priority of the fleet.

Well guys, Flame on if you want but, I for sure will be taking a break from Cruising Carnival, we cant take a chance with spending our hard earned money with a broke ship.

Fred, San Diego Ca.

You need to stand up and speak you piece at the annual stockholders' meeting then cast your votes.

Agree 100% Fred. He has had nothing trouble sine he came in as CEO.

I've been bashing him for years and closing my threads with - welcome to "CayhillS Down Hill "........anyone could see that the king of cut backs would soon have issues....................

WELCOME TO CAYHILLS DOWN HILL:D

The friends and family sale for monday makes me think they are trying to appeal to their past guests and those loyal to ccl.

Im cruising in august and have no plans of changing however i did price out other lines for next year. Its a shame.....i am on the fence....i love to cruise carnival but my vacation time is precious to me. If i was to be canceled at the last minute i think i would freak out. That would not be pretty.

While I think he will be given the chance to fix the Carnival issues, I would like to see Cahill gone.

I have disliked what Cahill has done with the Carnival product that Uncle Bob built... One reason we started cruising other cruiselines.

Loyalty programs are better on other cruiselines but that wasnt the reason I was loyal to Carnival for all those years prior to us being made Platinum.

IT WAS BECAUSE IT WAS A GREAT PRODUCT AT A GREAT PRICE:cool:

Thanks, I just checked and we are still Platinum but no where close to VFPP.

Going to miss the free wash and fold service.

oh well.

Fred,

All of the cut backs and issues are your fault! You took too long of a break and it was not approved! If you had been here then none of this nonsense would have happened. :mad:

Never fear the missing wash and fold; you and Wendy are both Platinum so you will each get three bags free. I'm like Fire though in that it IS a cutback and the guaranteed dining is a cutback and several other things that would not be actually are cutback. It was bold faced lies that Platinum perks wouldn't change and had you been here to rally the troops it would not have happened.

Is Gerry Cahill to blame? IMO no. The man is doing the job he was hired to do. If blame must be cast then it must be cast to the very top and that man's name is Arison. Mickey Arison. It must be noted that he too is doing the job he was promoted to do; make money. It can't be argued that he's not doing that job very well.

Carnival built a legacy of providing a great cruise experience at an affordable price. To protect those prices they've chipped away many features over the years, but lately they have been chipping with a sledge hammer which makes for less attractive sculptures.

It really is good to see you back on the forum Fred; I missed you and your uncanny wit. I have no doubt that we'll sail together again someday. Hopefully you'll join me on Carnival Breeze for a B2B in a couple of years. Consider yourself invited; date yet to be determined though you should jump on board for the March 30 sailing later this month. They have a few balcony cabins left and a few ocean views, but no interiors or suites. 8 days Southern Caribbean including Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. You know you want to, you know you can, you just need to do it! :)

Thats because most of us have been cruising with Carnival way back, with me I started with Carnival Holiday. So we have seen the changes and we get pissed off. There is so much a Loyalist can take, and then we say forget it, we're out of here.

If Carnival is to survive this mess, then its Time to Re-Call this CEO and get a new one because those apologies do get old.

Fred

So true. I have nothing to compare to when it comes to Carnival, so I wouldn't see the difference like others would. But I would be able to compare to NCL (which others have given me their opinions on the differences, but it's still not the same).

I started cruising back in the late 80's/early 90's then didn't come back to cruising until 2010. So I can compare the differences of the way cruising is today, from then to now. I have to admit, I'm one of those that prefers cruising now than back then. I'm more of an "informal" gal and I go on vacation to have fun and be laid back. While I miss some of the things like the beautiful display of the midnight buffet, the "shows" the chefs put on during dinner time...I hated the assigned dinner times and the assigned seats (which has been my fear of changing lines). We had some nice people and we've had some rude people at our tables before. I prefer to sit with my family or friends, not someone I don't know and might not click with. Another thing I hated was having to dress up every night just to eat. While I like to dress up here and there (and do every cruise a few nights a week), I prefer not to most of the time. (No, I'm not a bum, I usually have some "flowing" knee shorts on and a dressy top at night, but not a formal dress like back then).

While I always say I'm pretty easy going and it's hard to ruin a vacation (it would have to be something major to ruin it for me and I've even broken my hand on a cruise before and that didn't stop me)...after all you are on vacation and that's better than being back home working or going to school or in the snow in the winter. However, getting stranded out in the ocean or in port and having to cut your cruise short that you took so long to 1) plan 2) schedule time off of work 3) for me...only being able to have a certain date available during the year because of school and 4) the money involved in cruising, to go wrong because of a mechanical error and a cruise line not taking care of their ships pretty much does it for me.

I guess I'll wait and see how things go before switching. My daughter is really pushing to go on the Dream, but all of the recent happenings really have me second guessing whether I should do it or not. I think I can deal with the cutbacks and it would be more of a relaxing vacation if they don't have as many shows, music and so on. Some times trying to fit everything in during a cruise gets hectic. Now if only I could actually GET to where I'm going and get BACK. ;) :p

I must agree, Carnival has certainly made a lot of cost cutting changes since Cahill took over. I will continue sailing Carnival because I love value for my money, but must admit some of the fun in cruising has been missed on my last few cruises.

DSC_0675_DxO.jpg

I agree those burgers are quite tasty, but the best I've ever had came from the new at the time Lanai BarBQ on Dream. I guess setting on my balcony smelling them as they cooked and then eating it on my balcony in the blazing hot sun during sailaway from somewhere (don't recall the port) contributed to the enjoyment.

Thats because most of us have been cruising with Carnival way back, with me I started with Carnival Holiday. So we have seen the changes and we get pissed off. There is so much a Loyalist can take, and then we say forget it, we're out of here.

If Carnival is to survive this mess, then its Time to Re-Call this CEO and get a new one because those apologies do get old.

Fred

I agree with you! The changes have been hard to accept.:(

I see even Travelsmith is having a Friends and Family sale :D

I don't think many, if any, of Uncle Bob's staff is still with the Carnival line. The good old days were never as good as people remember.

Me? I'll stick with Guy's Burgers!

DSC_0675_DxO.jpg

Guys burgers are delicious... but me?? I would much rather have the old Carnival before the cutbacks... they can keep the burgers.

The old Carnival had higher prices, no loyalty program, no FCCs, and no <a lot of other stuff people seem to think they had>.

when I refer to the old carnival, I am not talking 30 years ago, they were still good up until a few years ago. They did have a loyalty program, not that many people use the FCCs. What they also had was, good entertainment, not entertainment provided by the passengers, good food, better than todays, and good prices. Higher prices?? not much higher and I would still much rather pay a little more or they can take those prices that they are spending on the guys burgers, djs, and macaroni , and put that money back towards the crew and staff. It is sad to see the crew working so hard to try to keep up in the mdr, that they don't even have time to interact with the passengers even for a moment.

when I refer to the old carnival, I am not talking 30 years ago, they were still good up until a few years ago. They did have a loyalty program, not that many people use the FCCs. What they also had was, good entertainment, not entertainment provided by the passengers, good food, better than todays, and good prices. Higher prices?? not much higher and I would still much rather pay a little more or they can take those prices that they are spending on the guys burgers, djs, and macaroni , and put that money back towards the crew and staff. It is sad to see the crew working so hard to try to keep up in the mdr, that they don't even have time to interact with the passengers even for a moment.

They still are good. :rolleyes:

I wasn't referring to 30 years ago and steel drums still won't be returning to Lido.

Carnival's prices are that low? Really? yes, Princess had higher prices. But if you are a past Guest..there will be sales where you get deep, deep cuts. HAL...sends out cruise brochures that equal any rate Carnival gives.

Carnival.....needs a new hand at the helm. Why not switch the heads of the lines Carnival Owns ..rotate them.....

Sabotage? The morale on Carnival does not seem bad to me. We always have great cabin stewards..one time on the Dream..stinky dinner crew..but I think they were overworked..too many tables added to their area because ATD was messed up..badly. The Matre D did not come around like on Princess every night..every table.

We are on the Breeze in Sept. one more ship going down..and I am canceling while I can..re booking on HAL.

I must agree, Carnival has certainly made a lot of cost cutting changes since Cahill took over. I will continue sailing Carnival because I love value for my money, but must admit some of the fun in cruising has been missed on my last few cruises.

$100pp increase per cruise would not be problematic- and that would bring back a LOT of what we miss-

Archived