Our visit to the Royal Caribbean school in Haiti

I know many are interested in this, so I'll make a dedicated thread.

We had the wonderful opportunity to visit L'Ecole Nouvelle in Haiti on cruise last week as it stopped in Labadee. (My cruise review is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810310)

Background:

I lived in Haiti for 18 months back in the 1980's doing missionary work. So, I was fluent in Creole. I loved the country, and loved my time there. As I was preparing for this cruise, I read that several people had been granted special permission to visit the school to deliver donations. I worked out the details with Royal Caribbean, and finally got permission.

We ran a fund raising initiative and raised about $500. We got a list of needed supplies from the school, and we bought it all, packed it up, and took our cruise. We had 5 banker's boxes and 1 large suitcase full of pencils, erasers, workbooks, class decorations, geometry kits, rulers, pencil sharpeners, etc etc.

We arrived at Port Everglades, and parked at Park N'Go. They were very accomidating with all of our luggage in addition to the 6 pieces for Haiti. The terminal porters were all very accomidating too. We tipped extra :)

We stacked all the boxes in our cabin closet, and under the bed, and could not wait for day 4 to arrive (Labadee).

We had made arrangements to meet one of the Labadee workers named Ari, who drove us up to the school.

DSC_6042_zps3e3d6928.jpg

DSCF9550_zpse3a7f44e.jpg

When we pulled up into the school, it was pretty amazing to be warmly greeted!

DSCF9552_zpsc24c4577.jpg

More to come... give me a few mins to post more pics.

Cudos to you and yours Todd...so wonderful for you to be able to help. This thread serves to support all that Royal Caribbean did to help Haiti after it's catastrophe, when some were so critical of RCCL and people who kept cruising Labadee itineraries.

I stand by my original statement that to stop cruising this country would've been a great injustice when so many Haitians benefit from it. Thanks for taking the time to post, can't wait to see more.:D

We visited 4 classrooms, and I got a chance to talk to many of the kids. Here are some of the conversations I remember:

• Some of them live in Labadee and walk ~20 mins to school. Some of them live in Cap Haitien, and take a bus to the school.
  • The classrooms each have an 2-3 year age spread
  • They all wear uniforms
  • They wondered how I could speak creole, especially with a Haitan accent. I told them I lived in Haiti for 18 months. They were in awe that I lived there for that long.
  • The school director(principal)is a very nice woman
  • They thought my kids white legs were funny looking
  • The loved the maple flavoured cookies we brought
  • Each classroom had 1-2 kids who stood and thanked us for coming.
  • I spent a little time explaining how important school is, and that knowledge and education are power in Haiti, and the rest of the world.
  • I introduced my wife and 2 teenage boys - we talked a bit about our life in Canada.

That was very nice of your family to collect (and schlep!) those supplies on your vacation. Kudos for teaching your kids to serve others.

I didn't realize Royal Caribbean even built a school there. I found this article about it on the RCI website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=lecole_nouvelle_royal_caribbean

The only thing I find slightly sad is the RCI felt the need to name the school for themselves, and that the uniforms have their logo on them. Why not instead honor the cultural or history of Haiti, and leave the corporation out of it?

I also hope that they limit the tourist visits...I am seeing more and more of these third world school tours for people visiting different islands...am I the only one who finds this to be a disturbing trend? Poor schoolchildren aren't zoo animals...

Toddcan, I do not mean this to be a criticism of you at all- thank you for posting about your experience!

Todd I loved reading about you and your family's visit to the school. The pictures are beautiful!!!

Just one quick question. I remembered reading an article about the school in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/world/americas/04haiti.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I am not asking this question with any negative feelings towards RCCL, but I was wondering if the children are now being provided food while attending school? It was so sad to read that many of the children had to endure a long walk and school day with no food in their stomachs. Is it any better now?? Thanks for any info.

I know many are interested in this, so I'll make a dedicated thread.

We had the wonderful opportunity to visit L'Ecole Nouvelle in Haiti on cruise last week as it stopped in Labadee. (My cruise review is here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810310)

Background:

I lived in Haiti for 18 months back in the 1980's doing missionary work. So, I was fluent in Creole. I loved the country, and loved my time there. As I was preparing for this cruise, I read that several people had been granted special permission to visit the school to deliver donations. I worked out the details with Royal Caribbean, and finally got permission.

We ran a fund raising initiative and raised about $500. We got a list of needed supplies from the school, and we bought it all, packed it up, and took our cruise. We had 5 banker's boxes and 1 large suitcase full of pencils, erasers, workbooks, class decorations, geometry kits, rulers, pencil sharpeners, etc etc.

We arrived at Port Everglades, and parked at Park N'Go. They were very accomidating with all of our luggage in addition to the 6 pieces for Haiti. The terminal porters were all very accomidating too. We tipped extra :)

We stacked all the boxes in our cabin closet, and under the bed, and could not wait for day 4 to arrive (Labadee).

We had made arrangements to meet one of the Labadee workers named Ari, who drove us up to the school.

More to come... give me a few mins to post more pics.

Awwww, this is so heartwarming. What a nice gesture and a great teaching moment for your kids. Thanks for sharing.

That was very nice of your family to collect (and schlep!) those supplies on your vacation. Kudos for teaching your kids to serve others.

I didn't realize Royal Caribbean even built a school there. I found this article about it on the RCI website: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=lecole_nouvelle_royal_caribbean

The only thing I find slightly sad is the RCI felt the need to name the school for themselves, and that the uniforms have their logo on them. Why not instead honor the cultural or history of Haiti, and leave the corporation out of it?

I also hope that they limit the tourist visits...I am seeing more and more of these third world school tours for people visiting different islands...am I the only one who finds this to be a disturbing trend? Poor schoolchildren aren't zoo animals...

Toddcan, I do not mean this to be a criticism of you at all- thank you for posting about your experience!

While I understand why you have your feelings, if the visits are providing much needed supplies to the children, I don't find this to be disturbing.

I am certain that the children of the various schools that are being visited also enjoy meeting people from other countries. In this way, it also provides a learning experience for all parties involved.

While I understand why you have your feelings, if the visits are providing much needed supplies to the children, I don't find this to be disturbing.

I am certain that the children of the various schools that are being visited also enjoy meeting people from other countries. In this way, it also provides a learning experience for all parties involved.

I completely agree with you, if these visits occur maybe once every couple of months. A great cultural exchange, and great for both students and visitors!

However, if this is happening more often than that, I have a problem with it. Poor schoolchildren aren't there to be ogled. Maybe this is the protective guidance counselor in me coming out, but I don't think it's healthy. (You can actually find shore excursions in other countries that will bus you out to visit a school. Very sad practice, as they charge visitors, and who knows how much goes back to the school.)

I would hope anyone who has a heart to donate items to one of these schools could drop supplies off regardless of whether or not they get to actually see the kids.

I would also hope that a school with Royal Caribbean's name on it not only provides whatever supplies these children need, but meals as well!

Again, not a reflection on Toddcan's experience...just what seems to be an emerging trend.

My fiance and I will be on the Oasis this coming June. He grew up in Haiti- speaks creole and french as well. He has a lot of family in the Cape. If we wanted to leave Labadee to go visit the RC school- how would we go about that? I want so badly to see the real Haiti and I would love to get involved.

What might be the steps to achieving this?

Thanks so much and that was such an amazing thing you did with your family!

What an amazing give back. You guys are an awesome family to take the time to raise the funds and to take time from your well deserved vacation and deliver them. RCCL needs to post this as an excursion :)

I would hope anyone who has a heart to donate items to one of these schools could drop supplies off regardless of whether or not they get to actually see the kids.

I think this is an excellent idea. I think Royal Caribbean should set up some kind of a donation area for cruisers to drop supplies off. I would love to drop off some supplies without intruding on the school.

I completely agree with you, if these visits occur maybe once every couple of months. A great cultural exchange, and great for both students and visitors!

However, if this is happening more often than that, I have a problem with it. Poor schoolchildren aren't there to be ogled. Maybe this is the protective guidance counselor in me coming out, but I don't think it's healthy. (You can actually find shore excursions in other countries that will bus you out to visit a school. Very sad practice, as they charge visitors, and who knows how much goes back to the school.)

I would also hope that a school with Royal Caribbean's name on it not only provides whatever supplies these children need, but meals as well!

Again, not a reflection on Toddcan's experience...just what seems to be an emerging trend.

I am not sure about the feeding of the students. I didn't get into that disucssion.

Let me be clear about this: Royal Caribbean is NOT offering this as a place to visit. I had to really plead my case to be able to visit. I was offering to run a donation campaign for the school, so they accepted my offer. They built the school after the earthquake in 2010 as a way of supporting Haiti. I think it's fantastic.

By the way, all schools in Haiti that I have seen wear uniforms. These ones have the RC symbol, which I don't think is inappropriate in any way.

No one was parading these kids around as something to show the world. In fact, Royal Caribbean rarely talks about this school, even though they have spent a considerable amount of money on it. I'll bet 10,000 pax visit Labadee each week, and I'll bet 99% don't know that the school exists.

My wife is a Educational Assistance, who supports special needs kids in the school system. She's very protective of any student and thought this visit was a once in a lifetime chance for both parties to be edified. No show boating here, and this is not part of some trend to exploit.

I think this is an excellent idea. I think Royal Caribbean should set up some kind of a donation area for cruisers to drop supplies off. I would love to drop off some supplies without intruding on the school.

We actually put this as a suggestion in the suggestion box on board!

I am not sure about the feeding of the students. I didn't get into that disucssion.

Let me be clear about this: Royal Caribbean is NOT offering this as a place to visit. I had to really plead my case to be able to visit. I was offering to run a donation campaign for the school, so they accepted my offer. They built the school after the earthquake in 2010 as a way of supporting Haiti. I think it's fantastic.

By the way, all schools in Haiti that I have seen wear uniforms. These ones have the RC symbol, which I don't think is inappropriate in any way.

No one was parading these kids around as something to show the world. In fact, Royal Caribbean rarely talks about this school, even though they have spent a considerable amount of money on it. I'll bet 10,000 pax visit Labadee each week, and I'll bet 99% don't know that the school exists.

My wife is a Educational Assistance, who supports special needs kids in the school system. She's very protective of any student and thought this visit was a once in a lifetime chance for both parties to be edified. No show boating here, and this is not part of some trend to exploit.

This is the first time that I have heard that royal Caribbean built a school so I appreciate the information. I am shocked that royal allowed you to go. When going into Haiti (not labadee) doesnt it require special shots?

And I see nothing wrong with their logo being displayed. It's no different than any other company would do in this situation. Sponsors always have their name displayed somehow.

What a fantastic opportunity and how great that you worked so hard to make this visit happen. I'm sure those children were thrilled to have a visit. I had no idea that RCCL had a school! I, too, wish they had a donation program. If every person on every cruise ship who visited Labadee donated even $5.00 think how much they could do! (and I think the majority of people would love to help out!)

Thank you for the update on the school. I followed the building of the school after the earthquake and had wondered what was happening with it. Great to see so many children getting the opportunity of an education and your message to them was wonderful.

This is a wonderful thing that RC is doing and even better that you took the time to go and visit. I am sure the school staff and kids were very thankful for the items you gave them. Thank you for sharing your trip!!

We visited 4 classrooms, and I got a chance to talk to many of the kids. Here are some of the conversations I remember:

• Some of them live in Labadee and walk ~20 mins to school. Some of them live in Cap Haitien, and take a bus to the school.
  • The classrooms each have an 2-3 year age spread
  • They all wear uniforms
  • They wondered how I could speak creole, especially with a Haitan accent. I told them I lived in Haiti for 18 months. They were in awe that I lived there for that long.
  • The school director(principal)is a very nice woman
  • They thought my kids white legs were funny looking
  • The loved the maple flavoured cookies we brought
  • Each classroom had 1-2 kids who stood and thanked us for coming.
  • I spent a little time explaining how important school is, and that knowledge and education are power in Haiti, and the rest of the world.
  • I introduced my wife and 2 teenage boys - we talked a bit about our life in Canada.

Thank you so much, it brings tears ( Happy ones).

Archived