Our visit to the Royal Caribbean school in Haiti

I wish we could do more. I work in the shoe industry and I was

wishing that I had the resources to organize a shoe donation.

I'm sure we all have access to shoes that we could donate but

the logistics of getting them to Haiti is the hard part. With the

ship stopping there, I'm sure many people on the ship would be willing to donate a pair of new or gently used shoes to those who maybe don't have any.

I wish that RCCL had a drop box for donations.

Yes, that road was a little rough. Our two boys were in the back of the "truck".

As soon as pulled into the courtyard, the kids were on break, and many of the young ones can running up to us, and immediately gave us hugs. Those 3 young ones in one of my pics just stood there staring at me. I looked at them for abotu 5 seconds and said.. (in Creole) "Here I am.. a white guy speaking Creole". They got a kick out of that!

Oh heck I bet the boys got a good shaking in the truck :eek:

LOL, the children love visitors..though when they are in the classrooms they are very quiet as the teachers are quite strict but once they get outside..oh they are so different and it is great to watch them playing and hear them laughing. :D

My respects to Mr. Todd and Family and to Royal Caribbean for contributing WHATEVER, ANYTHING AT ALL, to these children. That school and these visits they will never forget. If anything, they have planted a seed in their minds as to what they can achieve for their own country.

Haiti has a special place in my heart. Not only because they are my neighbors - our neighbors - but because they deserve a chance. Indirectly, they gave me a chance as the company I work for got it start in Haiti in the 40s and 50s before they were forced to flee to Puerto Rico. The NY Times likes to pontificate a lot, but what have they actually done for anybody, especially for anybody that's poor and forgotten? Just that. Pontificate.

In the meantime, free enterprise is actually doing something for them. I felt no shame in disembarking in Labadee on my Oasis cruise. I made it a point to thank each and every local I met for the wonderful day they gave us there. And I remarked to them that I dreamed of the day that my company could expand back to its original place and help make Haiti the tourism hub it was once. If St, Maarten and the others can benefit immensely from tourism, why can't Haiti? If these wonderful children can learn something useful from visitors, why should it not be allowed?

My own "country" got a desperately needed shot in the arm with the introduction of tourism in the 50s. We were as dirt poor then as Haiti is today. We are VERY thankful that these "hordes" of tourists came and keep coming and voluntarily share their wealth with us.

Only the free market and the Hatians' resiliency will bring them out of the decades-old missery they have been suffering. And only bleeding-heart hypocrisy stand in their way.

Again, here's to Todd and Family, Royal Caribbean, the wonderful Labadee staff, the kids of the New School, and the whole of the Hatian people.

off soap box/

Thank you Todd for posting pics of your visit to ENRC.

Having visited the school 3 times I know how emotional it is when you go there but the children are amazing aren't they :D

I've been to Labadee a few times since we did the Critters school supply donation on the Allure Inaugural and every time I step off the ship I think they should have a drop off box. Just think the impact that it could make in Haiti if each cruise ship passenger just brought a package of erasers or pencils, bars of soap, a t-shirt, pair of kids shoes. It wouldn't take up much room in a suitcase!

From March 18 - 28th alone there's potential for 30,000 passengers + with Oasis, Freedom, Explorer, Indy x2 , Allure & Liberty calling on Labadee!

CC should start something... we could have our own "TOM'S" type campaign... even if CC members are only 5% of that number that would still be 1500 items and i'm sure most of us would donate a couple of items!

Todd, many other posters here have said it better than I. So I'll try not to babble, as I am wont to do.:o I just want to add my sincere thanks for sharing your story and pictures. The children are beautiful, as is your generosity. God bless you and your family for being such a blessing to others.:)

And while I'm at it, I'll add my 'thumbs up' to the idea of a donation box onboard or at the port.:)

I don't understand why someone would want to denigrate a company for spending money to improve a bad situation just because it might bring them some recognition. They deserve it for what they've done, just like Todd does. And they haven't advertised it nor thrown it around for Kudos. I say God bless it.:)

I agree with you. To read some of these posts you might think that RCI was selling excursions to the school in order to make a profit. It seems like some people like to knock big corporations for caring only about making money. Then when it comes to light that off to the side these big companies are doing some good somewhere they get knocked for that too. Sometimes you just can't win.

I've been to Labadee a few times since we did the Critters school supply donation on the Allure Inaugural and every time I step off the ship I think they should have a drop off box. Just think the impact that it could make in Haiti if each cruise ship passenger just brought a package of erasers or pencils, bars of soap, a t-shirt, pair of kids shoes. It wouldn't take up much room in a suitcase!

From March 18 - 28th alone there's potential for 30,000 passengers + with Oasis, Freedom, Explorer, Indy x2 , Allure & Liberty calling on Labadee!

CC should start something... we could have our own "TOM'S" type campaign... even if CC members are only 5% of that number that would still be 1500 items and i'm sure most of us would donate a couple of items!

I did suggest a drop off box to someone at Royal Caribbean when we got back from that first Critters Project but I was told no they could not do that. Basically someone would have to check what was left in the box to see if items were safe and suitable etc etc...and that would take time away from their normal work to look after the box and delivery of items and so on and so on. So although a great idea, sadly they won't do it.

With regards CC doing something, there are many charities and good causes out there so it would be unfair I guess for CC to pick one to support.

Well, then, just remember to tip well:D The locals that work there will take that back into the economy.... and cruise a lot! So RCCL can pay it forward.:D

What I did was I tipped our cabana attendant well.

I also bought 6 Haitian Art paintings from the vendors in the Artisan's Village. I love to negotiate, and the vendors love to negotiate in Creole, so I negotiated for a bit, and then said something like this(in Creole):

You and both know that you would me that painting for $XX, and you would be happy. However, I am more than happy to help our Haiti, so I will pay you $YY" (which was usually $20 more than $XX). To get a 30 x 36" painting for $40 - that's a steal, and I don't mind paying $60 (even after negioting lower)

So, I tend to knowingly overpay in the market.

When we were at Labadee, I tried shopping at the small market that is set up there. The vendors were so pushy, though, and I couldn't even look at what they were selling. In frustration, we walked away with nothing. Later, we were at the buffet set up there on the beach. A local band was playing. They had a bucket set up for tips, but we did not see one person give them anything. After we ate, I took the $100 I planned on buying something with and gave it to the band. As I walked back to where my partner was sitting, I said loudly, "Money well spent for the entertainment". I guess some caught my "subtle hint". Others got up and tipped the band.

When we were at Labadee, I tried shopping at the small market that is set up there. The vendors were so pushy, though, and I couldn't even look at what they were selling. In frustration, we walked away with nothing.

You bring up a great point. Those vendors in the Artisan's Village (in the little huts found along the walking path in the hill) are very pushy. As soon as you make eye contact, you are a gonner. :)

They are their own worst enemy. I could tell them in Creole that I was just looking, but that usually just started an entirely new conversation about how I speak their language. So, I ended up just walking around, and speaking English to them, UNLESS I wanted to buy something.

The ONE vendor whose hut I spent the most time looking around said this to me: Take your time, look around. If you see anything you like, come talk to me.

A lot of well meaning people have ruined it for a lot of folks in 3rd world countries.

They find out the workers are paid a pittance by companies here in the states and go wacko trying to get them to stop. They do not realize that the money those companies spend, while nothing that anyone here would work for is a fortune to those people. That's the pay scale for that area, And when the money stops, they starve. Money is relative in places like these. $1 to you or me is a fortune to them.

The road to perdition is paved with good intentions. Just sayin...

I don't understand why someone would want to denigrate a company for spending money to improve a bad situation just because it might bring them some recognition. They deserve it for what they've done, just like Todd does. And they haven't advertised it nor thrown it around for Kudos. I say God bless it.:)

Another vote for a "like" button. I couldn't have said it better.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience in Haiti!! I didn't know Royal Caribbean had a school there either! It warmed my heart to see the pictures of those children. I loved their uniforms and all the girls blue bows in their hair is so cute! :D God Bless you and your family!

I wish we could do more. I work in the shoe industry and I was

wishing that I had the resources to organize a shoe donation.

I'm sure we all have access to shoes that we could donate but

the logistics of getting them to Haiti is the hard part. With the

ship stopping there, I'm sure many people on the ship would be willing to donate a pair of new or gently used shoes to those who maybe don't have any.

I wish that RCCL had a drop box for donations.

Me too!! I just read this story to my 10 y.o. son -- he said "wow that's awesome". We would like to bring donations to the ship when we sail in May -- we don't stop at Labadee, but maybe the next week they could deliver the supplies. ??

Archived