First Balcony - Talk to me about bungee cords!

CruzerDeb

Would a baby gate be able to prop in the open doorway? Have 2 yr old....

I've cruised with my kids and I understand where that would be a possibility, but I'm not sure that you would find a gate that small. Plus, what a pain to lug on the ship with you. When are you cruising? I am cruising in 3 weeks and could investigate for you...

We did the same thing, well sort of. We just took an empty Budweiser bottle after my hubby finished his beer, rinsed it out and stuck it in the doorway on the hinged side. It allowed the door to be cracked about 3-4 inches without being all the way open. It's a cheap, hassle free way to have a small breeze blow through the cabin.

That's what we do.

I've cruised with my kids and I understand where that would be a possibility, but I'm not sure that you would find a gate that small. Plus, what a pain to lug on the ship with you. When are you cruising? I am cruising in 3 weeks and could investigate for you...

Thanks! We leave in May on the Dream. We have a doorway wide gate, that's pretty light. How wide are the doorways? We live in Central Florida, so don't have to worry about planes, but hmm do I want to have it with me when I'm waiting for the cabin? Heh

Some of us like the fresh air, but want to remain cool, that's my preference anyways...but thanks for the contribution :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all, I think that's what everyone else is trying to get across maybe? It's like driving with the windows down. The inside won't stay "cool".

I haven't experienced the a/c shutting off when opening the door so I also don't have a solution for you, sorry. Hopefully someone has an answer for you!

We leave our balcony door open quite a bit. On some of the ships it does not turn off the air. I have only had that happen on one ship, and I think that that was on the Spirit.

I am sure if I am wrong, someone will correct me, but on the Liberty it did not shut the air off, and last month on the Dream I did not have that problem either.

Claudia

:D How long should that bungee cord be?

I really have to stop posting here and get some work done . . . maybe.

Just long enough to where you barely touch the water before you spring back up! :D

Hillarious :D

So on the same subject, what should it be - door wedge or bungee cord? It's very difficult to know when we haven't actually seen the balcony close up yet.

I never thought I'd book a balcony, so I didn't really pay attention to posters saying to bring a bungee cord for the balcony.

Now I have one!!! :D How long should that bungee cord be?

Personally, I don't know why some would want that humid and salty smelling air permiating their linens, pillows, etc. It's also corrosive to some metals.

Neighbors were on the Conquest last month. One of the things that I specifically asked them to check out was the magnet that is in the door frame that the A/C uses as a sensor. I intended to bring my own magnet so that the A/C would continue even with door open. Yep, they took a picture of magnet, but said that the A/C never shut off when door propped open. Continue to run normally. I need our door to stay open slightly for the satellite radio antenna!

I never thought I'd book a balcony, so I didn't really pay attention to posters saying to bring a bungee cord for the balcony.

We use a standard nylon bungee cord, we hook one end to the door hand the other to the railing. We have tried the door stop and while it worked on two of our cruises on it did not because the gap was to big.

If you would like take both and see what option works best for you .

Thanks! We leave in May on the Dream. We have a doorway wide gate, that's pretty light. How wide are the doorways? We live in Central Florida, so don't have to worry about planes, but hmm do I want to have it with me when I'm waiting for the cabin? Heh

If it were me, I'd be reluctant to have the balcony door open with a small child in the room. These doors are very heavy and the draft surge could push open any door gate or force any slightly misplaced door stopper to pop out. A small child could be in the way. Children aren't going to go over the side on a balcony. But parents need to be responsible and pay attention (review Parenting 101 skills) when children are present.

You don't need to bring a door stopper or a bungee cord . Each room has a door stopper for the room steward to prop the door open while they are in the cabin. Use it to prop your balcony door open. Works like a charm.:D

Neighbors were on the Conquest last month. One of the things that I specifically asked them to check out was the magnet that is in the door frame that the A/C uses as a sensor. I intended to bring my own magnet so that the A/C would continue even with door open. Yep, they took a picture of magnet, but said that the A/C never shut off when door propped open. Continue to run normally. I need our door to stay open slightly for the satellite radio antenna!

Only the Sprirt class ships have that feature.

We were waiting for another couple to come by and we wanted to hear them knock while we were on the balcony so we propped the door open. Within minutes the ceiling was dripping humidity. We never did that again.

We always use 2 bungee cords. One forms a loop around the door handle and the other attaches to the divider outside. We've never had an issue with the ac not working...always seems to work just fine. We love to listen to the sound of the waves while we go to sleep.

If it were me, I'd be reluctant to have the balcony door open with a small child in the room. These doors are very heavy and the draft surge could push open any door gate or force any slightly misplaced door stopper to pop out. A small child could be in the way. Children aren't going to go over the side on a balcony. But parents need to be responsible and pay attention (review Parenting 101 skills) when children are present.

Believe me, I've reviewed, studied, and passed the Parenting 101 skills class. After FINALLY finding a good picture of the balcony door and hearing the strength of the slam, we won't be bringing a gate. Thanks for the input.

Just don't complain because your neighbor has a cigarette on their balcony and the smoke comes into your cabin. Sitting on the balcony is one thing but if you leave your door open and the smoke bothers you then close the door.

Take care,

Mike

Archived