compensation for cabin repair

A

Why can this not be done on a turn-around day? Ask the people on board to leave my 8am, and tell the oncoming group they may not have access til 4pm. Give them a small compensation.

Good Luck

you know I think this is the most sensible suggestion to date. even if the spa is not open for actual services on embarkation day, surely access to the Persian Gardens or whatever it's called is enough to allow Grandma to relax if she needs to, ( and I still say dinner at a specialty that night would not be remiss) plus a little extra to spend on umbrella drinks.

oh yeah and by golly there should be a bottle of bubbly in the room afterward!

Guest maddycat

Definitely post this on the Celebrity board. You'll be given some good advice and accurate contact information. Make sure that you get everything in writing (email confirmation). Bring copies of your final settlement with Celebrity onboard. Many times there is a break down in communication between the home office and the ship.

Now I'm getting sceptical... I just did a check and this is the OP's first post - actually 5 posts, all on this thread.

I'm beginning to think this whole scenario is not real... doesn't make sense. I seriously doubt any cruise line would do this.

Again... skeptical - but I'm thinking a troll??

The OP can come back and deny, but ??

Now that you say it..... :)

I was starting to wonder why OP has not been back to have an opinion about our comments.

I'm interested what he thinks fo what we've suggested.

IF it's a hoax, it's been an interesting conversation so worth it anyway. IMO

We have all made multiple ASsumptions in this thread and we all know the results of that, customarily.

No one knows if the ship does not have empty cabin(s) in which these guests can rest during the day if they wish.

The ship should not be agreeable to providing an Officer's cabin under any circumstances, IMO

Not to mention, Junior Officers certainly do not have spacious accomodations that the guest in a $3,000/day Suite would likely be 'comfortable'. ;)

Certainly no one is suggesting the Captain, Hotel Manager, Chief Engineer, etc should be opening their cabin for the private use of such guest? :eek:

That is not going to happen. :)

I cannot agree any guest should be using any officer's cabin on a private basis. Who knows what 'souvenirs' they might help themselves to and just how would someone prove it? Not to mention any other proper and improper reasons I think it just plain out of the question.

We can agree to disagree. :)

I had to laugh when I read this part .....On our last cruise about 4 weeks ago, WE had the chief engineer sleeping over night in OUR room !

Now that you say it..... :)

I was starting to wonder why OP has not been back to have an opinion about our comments.

I'm interested what he thinks fo what we've suggested.

IF it's a hoax, it's been an interesting conversation so worth it anyway. IMO

Good points. OP is new to these boards, his only 5 postings were those early in this thread. He did give a fair amount of detail, so hoax does not appear too likely; but I do wonder why he hasn't returned.

As a PS, my view concerning a ship's officer being relocated stems from my twice being relocated, once two days, once five, as a junior officer in the US Navy to make room for "VIP" guest passengers: Congressmen, cabinet officials and others frequently sailed on Navy ships as a sort of PR freebie. Annoying, but not that much hassle. In this case, his personal effects would have to be relocated for the time, but he would likely be on watch or otherwise be able to "hang out" - to accommodate an elderly passenger who could not be decently asked to just hang out.

Now I'm getting sceptical... I just did a check and this is the OP's first post - actually 5 posts, all on this thread.

I'm beginning to think this whole scenario is not real... doesn't make sense. I seriously doubt any cruise line would do this.

I have seen this happen on two of our cruises. One cruise they were replacing cabin carpeting to a whole row of cabins, starting a few doors down from ours. On the other they were replacing the hallway carpeting.

I have seen this happen on two of our cruises. One cruise they were replacing cabin carpeting to a whole row of cabins, starting a few doors down from ours. On the other they were replacing the hallway carpeting.

BS.. Sorry, but that should be done in a dry-dock time, not while people are on-board. We've had them want (should say 'Insist') that they had to sand and varnish the railing on our balcony. When asked.. we said it wasn't convenient - still came barging into the cabin! Nothing we could really do - were leaving anyway.. so no biggy.

The thread was only started yesterday... I'm inclined to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

I had to laugh when I read this part .....On our last cruise about 4 weeks ago, WE had the chief engineer sleeping over night in OUR room !

This sounds like a great story.....

Please don't leave us wondering. :) More please.....

Good points. OP is new to these boards, his only 5 postings were those early in this thread. He did give a fair amount of detail, so hoax does not appear too likely; but I do wonder why he hasn't returned.

As a PS, my view concerning a ship's officer being relocated stems from my twice being relocated, once two days, once five, as a junior officer in the US Navy to make room for "VIP" guest passengers: Congressmen, cabinet officials and others frequently sailed on Navy ships as a sort of PR freebie. Annoying, but not that much hassle. In this case, his personal effects would have to be relocated for the time, but he would likely be on watch or otherwise be able to "hang out" - to accommodate an elderly passenger who could not be decently asked to just hang out.

Quite a different situation for a Congressman to relocate a Junior U.S. Naval Officer than a guest on a cruise ship to relocate an Officer.

JMO but I don't think of these situations as being anything close to the same. ;)

Obvious differences....

They replaced our carpet on our NCL Spirit cruise. It definitely happens. We were lucky though and they finished our cabin while we were in port for the day. Then the hallway carpet was ripped up and replaced during the week. That took a couple of days...Sticky hallway and smelly glue. Ick! But it didn't ruin our cruise. We just tip-toed through the mess.

Quite a different situation for a Congressman to relocate a Junior U.S. Naval Officer than a guest on a cruise ship to relocate an Officer.

JMO but I don't think of these situations as being anything close to the same. ;)

Obvious differences....

since it can be scheduled well in advance

i was not claiming any similarity, merely pointing out a possibility: essentially arguing that the ship should considerthe lesser of two evils. Do you displace an eighty-something year-old woman (who has paid for the use of space) or a member of the ships company (who is essentially, although indirectly, paid to provide that eighty-something year-old woman with that space)? Actually, in this case, the ship might consider the lesser of three evils: given that the work to be done on the cabin is clearly discretionary, why not schedule it for a turn-around day and advise the incoming passenger(s) that they might have to wait a bit for their cabin's availibility?

i was not claiming any similarity, merely pointing out a possibility: essentially arguing that the ship should considerthe lesser of two evils. Do you displace an eighty-something year-old woman (who has paid for the use of space) or a member of the ships company (who is essentially, although indirectly, paid to provide that eighty-something year-old woman with that space)? Actually, in this case, the ship might consider the lesser of three evils: given that the work to be done on the cabin is clearly discretionary, why not schedule it for a turn-around day and advise the incoming passenger(s) that they might have to wait a bit for their cabin's availibility?

Trouble with this, assuming they are replacing carpeting--

it will be very difficult to manhandle carpeting thru the ship when pax are leaving, housekeeping carts are in the way and luggage being delivered.

Most furniture is put into the hallway during a recarpeting.

Would you be willing to be the one to wait for your cabin?

Have you spoken to the line yet?

They replace carpeting constantly on a ship. We were on the Splendor when she was only 11 months at sea and the hall carpeting was already being replaced.

Obvious differences....

:) Point of order: it is no longer necessary to use upper-case letters when spelling 'congressman' as they are no longer worthy.

Thank you for pointing this out. :) ;) Good point.

May I point out CC terms of service suggest we should not be correcting posters' grammar and spelling. ;) :D :)

:) Oh, I am WELL aware of that!

I would also like to hear what OP decides is OK.

I would also ask for a description of what kind of repair is to be done and any possible after effects. Especially with your mother's age. If it is not acceptable, than is it still feasible to be switched to another comparable suite?

Archived