2013 Princess Wine List

LARGIN

On the Royal in October they had a different MDR wine list but don't know if other ships have changed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1939814

The CB over Thanksgiving had a new wine list in which they completely dropped our favorite Brunellos. Vines also was not offering flights since they were still developing the pairings from the new list.

I was not happy with either of those issues.

The CB over Thanksgiving had a new wine list in which they completely dropped our favorite Brunellos. Vines also was not offering flights since they were still developing the pairings from the new list.

I was not happy with either of those issues.

They seem to be replacing the Brunello with Super Tuscans which on the Royal had it's own $40 wine tasting. I don't see why they cannot have both and only have Rosso di Montalcino & not Brunello.

The Royal's Vines offered 6 "Wine Flights" (3 x 2 oz) from $8.25 to $10.25: Transatlantic, Trio of White Grapes, European Teaser, New World Sample, Trio of Red Grapes, Italian Treat.

At the Royal's Bellini bar they had higher price champagne such as Veuve Clicquot.

Edited by Astro Flyer

They seem to be replacing the Brunello with Super Tuscans which on the Royal had it's own $40 wine tasting. I don't see why they cannot have both and only have Rosso di Montalcino & not Brunello.

The Royal's Vines offered 6 "Wine Flights" (3 x 2 oz) from $8.25 to $10.25: Transatlantic, Trio of White Grapes, European Teaser, New World Sample, Trio of Red Grapes, Italian Treat.

At the Royal's Bellini bar they had higher price champagne such as Veuve Clicquot.

100% agree. I think this was the first cruise we had on Princess that did not have a staff Sommelier onboard, so it would seem they are trying to "dumb down" the wine list to the lowest common denominator. It is a shame if that is truly the case.

100% agree. I think this was the first cruise we had on Princess that did not have a staff Sommelier onboard, so it would seem they are trying to "dumb down" the wine list to the lowest common denominator. It is a shame if that is truly the case.

I believe the sommeliers have been eliminated fleetwide with my recent wine tasting events being led by headwaiters. As I recall several years ago Princess had multiple sommeliers onboard before eliminating them & later adding only one per ship. It's disappointing that with such a large staff Princess made the decision to once again eliminate the knowledgeable sommeliers. :(

Maybe the Super Tuscan $40 wine tasting is a way to promote ST sales? A sommelier told me that wines used in wine tastings results in a substantial increase in sales of those bottles of wine.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I believe the sommeliers have been eliminated fleetwide with my recent wine tasting events being led by headwaiters. As I recall several years ago Princess had multiple sommeliers onboard before eliminating them & later adding only one per ship. It's disappointing that with such a large staff Princess made the decision to once again eliminate the knowledgeable sommeliers. :

While I agree that it would be a shame to eliminate KNOWLEDGEABLE SOMMELIERS, we never found one on board while they were operating on Princess. I much prefer the headwaiters, which we found much more knowledgeable, and less "stuffy" than the "know nothing" sommeliers Princess had on board for a few years. They were not "certified sommeliers" who had completed an extensive training course and testing. They were just people who "thought" they know all about wine.

While I agree that it would be a shame to eliminate KNOWLEDGEABLE SOMMELIERS, we never found one on board while they were operating on Princess. I much prefer the headwaiters, which we found much more knowledgeable, and less "stuffy" than the "know nothing" sommeliers Princess had on board for a few years. They were not "certified sommeliers" who had completed an extensive training course and testing. They were just people who "thought" they know all about wine.

We had a different experience & the ones we talked to were trained certified KNOWLEDGEABLE SOMMELIERS who weren't stuffy.

Maybe the Super Tuscan $40 wine tasting is a way to promote ST sales? A sommelier told me that wines used in wine tastings results in a substantial increase in sales of those bottles of wine.

That stands to reason as it allows folks who would not otherwise be familiar via name only on the wine list to experience and know that they truly like the wine enough to spend $40+ for a bottle.

I used to work in retail wine sales as a fun job and we always sold more of our higher end wines if we had a tasting event that day which included them.

On the CB, I do not recall a Super Tuscan wine tasting event being advertised, and really not a whole lot of emphasis was placed on wine throughout our week. Like I said, at Vines they were not very knowledgable about the new wine list and there were no tasting flights offered at all to allow folks to get familiar with the new offerings.

I really hope Princess ups their game in this respect.

That stands to reason as it allows folks who would not otherwise be familiar via name only on the wine list to experience and know that they truly like the wine enough to spend $40+ for a bottle.

I used to work in retail wine sales as a fun job and we always sold more of our higher end wines if we had a tasting event that day which included them.

On the CB, I do not recall a Super Tuscan wine tasting event being advertised, and really not a whole lot of emphasis was placed on wine throughout our week. Like I said, at Vines they were not very knowledgable about the new wine list and there were no tasting flights offered at all to allow folks to get familiar with the new offerings.

I really hope Princess ups their game in this respect.

The Super Tuscan tasting in Sabatini's & those Vines 'flights' were on the Royal so they may not be on other ships...maybe they'll offer them on ships if they add the new MDR wine list. Three of the five ST wines were priced from the upper $20s to mid $30s with the other two at $100+. The appetizers were freshly prepared tasty hot snacks such as a taste of lasagna.

On the Royal the $40 Winemakers Dinner was very enjoyable & hope it will be offered fleetwide. The Royal has it at a nice 'wine cellar' in a separate area of the MDR. I'd still enjoy it even without this area on other ships just like we've enjoyed the Chef's Table at a MDR table. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 1 month later...
The wine list for 2014 has completely changed... :eek:

I took photos on my iPhone of the Royal's wine list & some could have been clearer. Thus I've put the info the best I can into a PDF file attachment & into this thread. There may be some misspellings & it was difficult to determine the order of names for some French wines so they may be in the wrong order. I've proofread the list to ensure there were no mistakes in prices & hopefully didn't overlook any mistakes.

Some wines appear to be different than our previous Princess cruises with one of the lower priced popular wines...Chile's Santa Carolina...replaced by Chile's Puerto Viejo wines. This was the type of wine we got from our travel agent & thought it was as good as Santa Carolina for an inxpensive bottle of wine. I'm certainly not a wine connoisseur but enjoy wine with my meals.

MAITRE’D SPECIALS

Messeto (Toscan, IT) $450

Solara (Toscan, IT) $230

Tignanello (Toscana, IT) $120

Il Borro Toscana (Toscana, IT) $60

Premium sparking

Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante (Asti, IT) $27

Korbel Brut (CA) $27

Korbel Brut Rose (CA) $28

Villa Sandl Prosecco (Veneto, IT) $32

Domaine Chandon Brut Cuvee (Napa Valley, CA) $38

Mirabelle Brut Rose (North Coast, CA) $48

Dessert wine

Errazuriz Sauvignon Blanc (Valle de Casablanca, Chile) $21

WHITE WINE

Riesling

Bex (Nohe, Germany) $26

Hogue (Columbia Valley, WA) $24

Jekel (Monterrey, CA) $27

Sauvignon Blanc

Blackstone (CA) $25

Pouilly-Fume, Domaine Mollet-Maudry (Tracy-sur-loire, FR) $34

Sancerre, Roc de L’abbaya Domaine Molly-Maudry (FR) $44

Fetzer Fume Blanc (CA) $26

Nobilo Regional Collection (Marlborough, NZ) $32

Puerto Viejo (Maule Valley, Chile) $24

Silverado Miller Ranch (Napa Valley, CA) $45

Old & New World Whites

Anthilla Donnafugata (Sicilia, IT) $34

Coppo Gavi La Rocca (Monterotondo di Gavi, IT) $34

Ruffino Orvieto Classico (Umbria, IT) $26

Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc Viagnier (Napa Valley, CA) $34

Hogue Gewurztraminer (Columbia Valley, WA) $25

Rex-Goliath Moscato (CA) $26

Chardonnay

Wheelhouse (CA) $27

Chablis, Les Ecurles Seugbeyrue de Tanley (Chablis, FR) $36

Chamisel Stainless (Central Coast, CA) $39

Clos du Bois (North Coast, CA) $32

Deakin Estate (Victoria, AUS) $28

Fetzer (CA) $26

Macon-Village, Leboure-roi (Burgundy, FR) $34

Poully Fuisse, Vallon D’or, Laboure-roi (FR) $38

Puerto Viejo (Moule Valley, Chile) $24

Robert Mondavi Private Select (CA) $29

Silverado (Carneros, CA) $45

Simi (Sonoma, CA) $42

Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi (CA) $25

Pinot Grigio

Danzante (La Venezie, IT) $32

Estancia (CA) $38

Adeisheim (Wilamette Valley, OR) $42

Blush/Rose

Les Fumees Blanches (Cotes de Gascogne, FR) $29

Woodbridge White Zinfandel (CA) $25

RED WINE

Gamay

Beaujolais-Villages, De Sureo Spirito (Beaujolais, FR) $24

Corvina

Zeni Amarone Dello Valpolicella Classico (Valpolicella, IT) $59

Zeni Valpolicella (Venezia, IT) $26

Pinot Noir

Estancia Pinnacles Ranches (Monterrey, CA) $32

Gevrey-Chambertin, Laboure-roi (Cote-de-Nuits, FR) $49

Robert Mondavi Private Selection (CA) $29

Wild Horse (Central Coast, CA) $40

Sangiovese

Castiglioni Frescobaldi Chianti Classico (Toscana, IT) $30

Ruffino Chianti Classico Riserva (Toscana, IT) $42

Marchesi de’ Frescobaldi Rosso di Montalcino (Toscana, IT) $49

Silverado (Napa Valley, CA) $46

Malbec

Decero (Mendoza, Argentina) $32

Diseno (Mendoza, Argentina) $29

Nebbiolo

Bruno Glacosa Valmaggiore (Piemonte, IT) $49

Giordano Barolo Tradizione (Piemonte, IT) $45

Super-Tuscan

Luce Della Vite (Montalcino-Toscana, IT) $110

Tenuta Dell’ornellaia (Bogheri-Toscana, IT) $230

Carmenere

Tributo Caliterra (Valle de Colchagua, Chile) $38

Cabernet Sauvignon

Avalon (Napa Valley, CA) $28

Clos du Bois (North Coast, CA) $32

Deakin Estate (Victoria, AUS) $30

Don Maximiano (Valle de Aconcagua) $99

Errazuita (Valle de Aconcagua) $27

Hogue Genesis (Columbia Valley, WA) $31

Pacific Bay (Mendocino County, CA) $25

Pine Ridge (Napa Valley, CA) $79

Puerto Viejo (Curico Valley, Chile) $24

Robert Mondavi Reserve (Napa Valley, CA) $135

Sanctuary (Napa Valley, CA) $58

Silverado (Napa Valley, CA) $65

Simi Landslide (Alexander Valley, CA) $48

Wheelhouse (CA) $26

Red Blends

Estancia Meritage Reserve $34

Franciscan Magnifcat (Napa Valley, CA) $49

Mondavi-Rothschild Opus One (Napa Valley, CA) $169

Overture (Napa Valley, CA) $109

Vail Ilach Embruix (Priorat, Spain) $44

Petite Sirah

Spellbound (CA) $34

Garnacha

Artazui (Navarra, Spain) $34

Palacios Remondo La Montesa (Rioja, Spain) $34

Shiraz

Katnook Estate (Coonawarra, AUS) $28

Mcpherson (South Eastern Australia) $30

Zinfandel

Seghesio (Sonoma County, CA) $39

Sextant (Central Coast, CA) $32

Zen of Zin (CA) $29

Merlot

Ancient Peaks (Paso Robles, CA) $34

Danzante (Le Venezie, IT) $32

Fetzer (CA) $28

Franciscan (Napa Valley, CA) $38

Hogue Genesis (Columbia Valley, WA) $27

Oberon (Napa Valley, CA) $40

Puerto Viejo (Curico Valley, Chile) $24

Red Bordeaux Blends

Chateau Montcabrier Cotes de Bordeaux (Bordeaux, FR) $32

Phillippe de Rothschild Mouton-Cadet (Bordeaux, FR) $27

Red Rhone Blends

Domaine du Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Val de Rhone, FR) $38

De Aureo Spirito Cotes-du-Rhone (Val de Rhone, FR) $26

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=292048&d=1383697791

• 5 months later...

We are intending to buy the Wine Package for our Baltic Heritage cruise coming up on Aug. 16 and I was wondering if anyone out there has a current Emerald wine list ?

BTW, I have seen the one posted from the Royal, was just wondering if the Emeraald had as extensive (and same) list...?

Thanks in advance.....

Kathy

Edited by dockhl

We are intending to buy the Wine Package for our Baltic Heritage cruise coming up on Aug. 16 and I was wondering if anyone out there has a current Emerald wine list ?

BTW, I have seen the one posted from the Royal, was just wondering if the Emeraald had as extensive (and same) list...?

Thanks in advance.....

Kathy

Hopefully someone of the Emerald will reply to your question but think this list may be implemented fleetwide & was on the Golden in March. My list is just for the MDR & some specialty restaurants or Vines may have additional choices.

Thanks in advance.....

Kathy

Except for the large selection of Super T's that are only on the Royal and Regal, the wine list should be the same for all U.S. based ships. Don't know for those operating out of Australia or Asia. The new list was being rolled out on the Sapphire in January and was on the Grand in March.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you both.....we are looking to buy a Wine Package on the Baltic Heritage and wanted to see what is available........if this is it, it helps us make our decision ! :)

Kathy

In March on the Golden we got the 12 bottle Gold package & enjoyed it. :)

The $15 corkage fee for bringing your own doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

With so may affordable wines available is it even worth bringing more than 2 bottles onboard. For as little as 9.00-12.00 more I think I will let Princess do the lugging.