2013 Princess Wine List

LARGIN

Thanks for the list, its helpful, and making me very thirsty at 11:30 am....however, my question is: Is there such a thing as paring a red wine with seafood like lobster or scallops or even a light fish? I'm not a fan of white wines. Any recommendations?

The red wines as they appear on the list above are ordered, more or less, from lightest to heaviest in terms of weight, structure and tannins. If you desire a lighter style red to pair with your seafood, start at the top and stop before you get to Sangiovese. Also, consider the Rose d'anjou. White Zinfandel gave classic Rose a bum rap, but Rose can be a real treat.

The most important thing to remember is to drink what you enjoy no matter what you are eating. A study that was done with hidden cameras at wine-centric restaurants revealed that diners, on average, took 2-3 sips of wine during the time that they ate their entrees. The rest of the wine was consumed before the entrees arrived or after the entrees were finished. People reached for their water glasses as often as they did their wine glasses. Your mileage may vary. But what all this means is: don't let what you order over-influence what wine you select. Pairing food with wine is less important than it seems. That said, the grip of a young Cabernet could easily kill the subtlety of a scallop.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Sangiovese

Brunello Di Montalcino d.oc.g. Palazzo $49

I was so glad to see a Brunello listed because it is my DH's favorite. I wanted to order a bottle for our cabin upon embarking as a welcome to cruising gift for his first cruise. On the Princess list of gifts that can be ordered, the Brunello is not listed. I called Princess and the representative said she did not know of a Brunello available. Anyone have suggestions of how I can order this for a "welcome to cruising" gift for him?

I was so glad to see a Brunello listed because it is my DH's favorite. I wanted to order a bottle for our cabin upon embarking as a welcome to cruising gift for his first cruise. On the Princess list of gifts that can be ordered, the Brunello is not listed. I called Princess and the representative said she did not know of a Brunello available. Anyone have suggestions of how I can order this for a "welcome to cruising" gift for him?

The wine gift list is distinct from the dining room wine list (posted above). I don't know of a way to pre-purchase wines off the dining room list. Also FYI - Palazzo is actually a pretty good Brunello (just drank a bottle of the 2001 a few months ago), and the Princess price of $49 is actually less than the regular retail price around here. I believe they were serving the 2006 vintage on my last cruise a couple weeks ago.

Edited by GamesGuy3811
Added more info

The 2005 wasn't that good. Avoid that vintage if possible else it may give a wrong impression of Brunellos. You can go straight to the dining room and ask if you can buy a bottle to take to your room.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
White Wine:

Riesling

Chateau Ste. Michelle $26

Nierseiner, gutes Domtal $24

Piesporter Goldtropchen $27

Garganega

Soave, Bolla $25

Verdicchio

Verdicchio, Fazi-Battaglia $27

Sauvignon Blanc

Fetzer, fume blanc $24

Kenwood $25

Nobilo, Regional Collection $32

Pouilly-fume Domaine Lebrun $30

Sancerre, michel Redde, Les Tuilieres $46

Santa Carolina, Reserva $24

Silverado, Miller Ranch $35

Pinot Grigio

Danzante $32

Santa Margherita, Valdadge $41

Chardonnay

Chablis, Les Ecuries Seigneurie de Tanlay $32

Chablis, premier cru, Laboure-roi $46

Chassagne Montrachet, Laboure-roi $59

Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve $32

Pouilly Fuisse, Vallon d'or, Laboure-roi $34

Robert Mondavi, private Selection $27

Rosemount, Diamond Label $29

Simi $32

Sylvester $22

Sylvester, kiara Private Reserve $25

Wente, Morning Fog $25

Woodbridge by robert Mondavi $24

Gewurztraminer

Gewurztraminer, Michel Leon $32

Moscato

Rex-Goliath $26

Blush/Rose

Beringer, White Zinfandel $27

Rose d'anjou La Roseraie $29

Woodbridge white Zinfandel $25

Red Wine

Gamay

Beaujolais-villages, Seigneurie Arcelot $24

Corvina

Amarone Classico, bolla $66

Valpolicella Classico, Bolla $25

Pinot Noir

Castle Rock $32

Gevrey-Chambertin, Laboure-roi $42

La Crema $36

Lincourt, Santa Rita Hills $38

Robert Mondavi, Private Selection $28

Sangiovese

Brunello Di Montalcino d.oc.g. Palazzo $49

Chianti Classico Riserva $32

Malbec

Diseno $34

Nebbiolo

Barbaresco, Stefano Farina $38

Barolo, Stefano Farina $45

Super Tuscan

Luce Della Vita $79

Ornellaia, Tenuta Dell'Ornellaia $140

Carmenere

Caliterra, Tributo $31

Merlot

Benziger, Rose Ranch $34

Columbia Crest, Grand Estates $31

Ferrari-Carano $40

Fetzer $30

Franciscan $38

Robert Mondavi, Private Selection $27

Round Hill $24

Santa Carolina Reserve $25

Sylvester Kiara Reserve $25

Red Bordeaux Blends

Chateau Bel Air $32

Mouton-Cadet Baron Philippe de Rothschild $25

Red Rhone Blends

Chateauneuf-du-pape $31

Cotes-du-Rhone Chateau De Grancey $25

Cabernet Sauvignon

Casa Lopostolle $29

Caymus $85

Caymus, Special Selection $155

Chateau Ste. Michelle $35

Don Maximiano, Founder's Reserve $85

Kendall-Jackson, Vintner's Reserve $32

Kenwood, jack London Vineyard $48

Robert Mondavi, Private Selecction $27

Robert Mondavi, Reserve $135

Santa Carolina, Reserva $25

Silverado $58

Sylvester $22

Sylvester, Kiara Private Reserve $26

Wente Southern Hills $25

Wolf Blass, Yellow Label $34

Woodbridge by Mondavi $24

Red Meritage

Duckhorn, paraduxx $79

Elements by Artesa $44

Franciscan, Magnificat $58

The Spur, Murrieta's Well $49

Opus one, Mondavi-Rothschild $169

Petite Sirah

Spellbound $34

Shiraz

Grant Burge, Benchmark $28

Rosemount Diamond Label $31

Zinfandel

Kenwood Yalupa Old Vine $30

Ravenswood, Vintners Blend $28

Seghesio $38

Sextant $31

Sommelier's Specials

Off The List

Chardonnay Caliterra $32

Chardonnay, Hogue $28

Cabernet Sauvignon, Clos Du Bois $42

Cabernet Sauvignon, Esser $28

Large Format Bottles

Jordan, Cabernet Sauvignon, 1.5 Liter Magnum $129

Champagne

Veuve Clicquot, Brut $74

Nicolas Feuillatte, Brut $60

Dom Perignon, Moet & Chandon $179

Premium Sparkling

Korbel, Brut $25

Martini & Rossi, Asti Spumante $27

Korbel Rose Brut $28

Domaine Chandon, Brut Cuvee $35

Dessert Wine

Errazuriz Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc $21

Wine by the Glass

White

Chateau Ste. Michelle $7.25

Fetzer, Fume Blanc $7.25

Nobilo $7.95

Danzante $7.95

Wente $7.25

Kendall-Jackson $7.95

rex-Goliath $7.25

Red

Mondavi $7.25

Castle Rock $7.95

Chianti Classico $7.95

Fetzer $7.25

Columbia Crest $7.95

Casa lapostolle $7.95

Spellbound $7.95

Grant Burge $7.25

Ravenswood $7.25

White Zinfandel/Rose

Rose D'Anjou $7.25

Woodbridge $6.25

:DThanks for posting this Wine list. I'm keeping it for future reference.

Edited by monakayk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What has happened with Princess's wine package program, anybody know?

From another thread, it sounds like it is being offered on 10-day+ cruises, and

See here: this thread

They asserted these pricings:

Note: A 15% gratuity is added to all package prices (like any other bar purchase). 

Silver Package (wines up to $29 per bottle list price)
7 bottles -- $161 (average of $23 per bottle)
10 bottles -- $210 (average of $21 per bottle)
12 bottles -- $240 (average of $20 per bottle)

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)
7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)
10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)
12 bottles -- $335 (average of $28 per bottle)

You get a punch card which can be used at any of the dining locations. 

We did the math for us, and bringing on wine + paying $15 corkage was a better deal.

Thank you for the information. In September last year on our 17 day float in the Med. on the Grand it was not available nor was it available nor in January when we were 20 days on the Emerald in the Caribbean. So I hope we can look forward to it next week on the Ruby. :)

Thank you for the information. In September last year on our 17 day float in the Med. on the Grand it was not available nor was it available nor in January when we were 20 days on the Emerald in the Caribbean. So I hope we can look forward to it next week on the Ruby. :)

Hi Putterdude!

I'd love a heads up if the wine packaage is available on the Ruby. We have a 15 day Hawaiian out of LA - coincidently sailing with some other folks from Fort Mohave - and we have already slected out the case of wine that we were going to drag from home and then pay the corkage fee on when we got to Princess. But I'm starting to rethink lugging all that wine and this wine package deal might be just enough to tip the scales!

I just can't find anything on Princesses web site. Is it purchased ahead of time, do you buy it on board. Do you buy it in the dining room? at a special table like you do the soda cards??? Hate to get on board expecting to buy the package only to find out you had to buy it ahead of time.....

• 1 month later...
Largin, thanks for this. I was looking for the name of the merlot we had at the Chefs Table last winter on the Emerald, and it wasn't on the souvenir menu as I had hoped. I searched, and your list popped out. Thanks again.
Did they serve the Ferrari-Carano merlot at your CT?

Hi Putterdude!

I'd love a heads up if the wine packaage is available on the Ruby. We have a 15 day Hawaiian out of LA - coincidently sailing with some other folks from Fort Mohave - and we have already slected out the case of wine that we were going to drag from home and then pay the corkage fee on when we got to Princess. But I'm starting to rethink lugging all that wine and this wine package deal might be just enough to tip the scales!

I just can't find anything on Princesses web site. Is it purchased ahead of time, do you buy it on board. Do you buy it in the dining room? at a special table like you do the soda cards??? Hate to get on board expecting to buy the package only to find out you had to buy it ahead of time.....

On Island for Panama Canal in March of this year, the bartenders approached you readily upon boarding for soda, coffee, and wine package. It was a great buy for all of them.

• 2 months later...

Largin, thank you so much!

This will be our first Princess cruise and we love a nice bottle of wine with dinner.

Until recently, we've been able to pick up whatever amounts we wanted, put them in our backpacks and board HAL with a dozen wines from any wine store nearby in San Diego. We're from the Great White North and don't often know the wines we're seeing listed on the ship. So it's a bit of a gamble each bottle we order. And because we don't know a lot of the wines, we had tended to buy ones we knew the characteristics of, before we went on board.

Now, we're into a new game with HAL and other lines.

Wish they had wine tastings first sea day from the various packages/wines offered on board.

With this listing we now have an idea of the wines offered and the prices involved. THANK YOU! We had been considering buying a couple of cases from a nearby wine store and then figuring out how we'd get them to our room as we'd never done that before. I don't mind a $15 corkage fee if the wines on the ship listing are $45+

But these Princess prices seem reasonable.

I've also been trying to find a Princess phone number that I could call to see if they're going to offer wine packages on the Feb. 15 Crown Princess sailing. Can't seem to find a phone number for that. Any chance you know of a phone number to use?

Thanks once again!

• 3 weeks later...