!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Pool side dining veue

DSC00910_zpsf3e289fa.jpg

DSC00913_zps9feb9e2b.jpg

We eventually found an unoccupied umbrella the problem was that it was broken, I improvised a little and managed to get it working for us.

DSC00917_zps2650466c.jpg

View from our spot, we were directly next to the lazy river.

DSC00915_zps6d6a848f.jpg

There were several other broken umbrellas in the Hilton, I am not sure that would be normal standard in the a US Hilton. But then again hotels in the Caribbean have their own more relaxed standards. And if that umbrella wasn't broken I doubt it that we would had been able to find a free umbrella.

DSC00916_zpsf1b60d72.jpg

Then we went on the look for the hot tubs and try to warm up a little.

DSC00918_zpsdede4408.jpg

DSC00920_zpsa744a263.jpg

DSC00922_zpsb529b580.jpg

DSC00926_zps1e271fb9.jpg

DSC00927_zpsc5e73d7f.jpg

There are two hot tub and both very very hot, we were not expecting that. On one of them you could barely stay inside for over a few minutes.

DSC00935_zps2613b1a0.jpg

The cooler hot tub became a chilling spot for the kids.

DSC00929_zps9f6061f8.jpg

here is the wrist band that they give you.

DSC00934_zps9bfcf4d2.jpg

And the lazy river

DSC00939_zps90398d14.jpg

The view of our spot from the hot tub and my improvised umbrella.

DSC00942_zps1796c4c5.jpg

The jets were broken on both tubs,

DSC00945_zps6655ef0d.jpg

Lazy river

DSC00948_zpsad1db9d5.jpg

We stayed in the tub for sometime, but soon enough we were both intrigued about the area and decided to go on the lazy river for a little while. Yes it was still raining.

DSC00953_zpseca1ac57.jpg

We got our donuts (I really don't know what to call them)

DSC00954_zps589283cd.jpg

And we were on our way.

DSC00960_zps809a54be.jpg

We passed by our camp ground

DSC00968_zps74995307.jpg

DSC00976_zps26211772.jpg

The lazy river goes around the hot tubs so you can stay there and get out and go in the river very easily, I did that several times in the day to heat up. The river takes about 4 minutes to complete, it is not a very long one, but you can stay there as long as you like and go around and around, I did that as well.

After a few laps around the lazy river we went for a frozen drink, pina colada and to check out the beach are.

DSC00986_zps39c18423.jpg

DSC00988_zpsc1697690.jpg

Our spot

DSC00989_zps98091d5b.jpg

DSC00993_zps66eb8310.jpg

DSC00994_zpsa6a1c982.jpg

DSC00995_zps40679677.jpg

Ok folks, I have to get ready and ran to work, I hope everyone enjoys this short set. I know they are not my usual pictures, but at least I had this cam to document everything during this rainy day =).

Thanks...but come on; you can't leave us hanging like this ;)

Can't wait for more! :)

Lol, sorry I was actually really sick last night. It was a miracle that I managed to post that set.

I don't know what it is but the coloring of the sky and water is just incredible in the pics of the journey to the port. Beautiful!

As for your travel situation, glad you felt good about the situation and happy it seems it turned out nicely... will find out more soon :)

Me being me I starve organizations that discriminate or follow unethical practices; they don't get a dime of my money. It seems to be getting harder to do because it is easier to find out about companies, countries, states, etc. that at best ignore unethical/discriminatory behavior and at worst engage in it.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I know and that is my usual way of thinking, I refuse to buy products from companies that discriminate. But when I am traveling I guess things are slightly different. In the future I will try to avoid discriminating countries, (try), but if it is not possible I will still go and have fun if possible.

It's life, I try to make the best of it.

Wow, finally done reading everyone's threads!!! Now I can get some sleep!! LOL

Hope you got some good sleep =)

It's truly sad how anyone is still discriminated in this world. No matter if we are black, white, gay, lesbian, straight, male, female, etc. we are all ONE in this world. We are all human beings! We shouldn't have to classify someone by their race, religion, sexual orientation, or whatever it may be - we are all simply PEOPLE! Sorry you may have had to feel a bit awkward in Jamaica during your Allure vacation, I hope you got to enjoy yourself better this time!

Great pictures as always, I'm kind of glad you are leaving us hanging because it's getting late! :D Your secondary camera is actually really good!

Can't wait to see more tomorrow!

Thank you, I was really sad that I had to leave my main camera, but it was simply too risky to bring with me. I am glad I left her in the cruise, with all that rain that day, fewwwwww. =)

I'll second that one! (Oh and the one of the coast guard :D)

I think a lot of us loved the coastguard pic ;-)

Agree that we should judge people on content of their character. But this is a travel website and we should talk cruising and travel.

That is precisely why I try to leave all that out, but in order to tell the story right the topic has to come into play.

Gambee,

Thanks for another wonderful review. Somehow I found your Allure review in the fall before our second cruise on Celebrity and was so happy to find this one for the Silhouette. Brings back lovely memories of our Eastern Med trip on Equinox. Our Connie cruise was a disappointment but we will still cruise Celebrity in the future.

I remember well your concern about Jamaica when you stopped there on the Allure. Your generous spirit and optimism is heartwarming given that I am sure you have endured countless acts of discrimination in your lifetime. Just last week, my husband mentioned that one of his business partners (who is gay and married) told him he would never go to Jamaica or Grand Cayman because they are known to dislike gays. Hubby was surprised but I told him right away that I now knew about the Jamaica situation from you!

I would have been very disappointed had my cruise had the bad weather yours did (o.k. my Connie cruise had bad weather but was only 4 nights). Glad you and mom were able to see the silver lining!

Sorry to hear that your Connie trip was not ideal, you know now that I think about it I have read plenty of people complaining about that particular ship. I wonder why?

I was not aware of discrimination in the Caymans... But you know it is an island thing, Grenada has it as a law where it is illegal to be gay. I think most islands discriminate, some more than others. Even Figi is know to discriminate, I refuse to drink their water.

Yeah the weather was less than ideal, but we made what we could of it... What else can you do? We still had a great time and X is now in the list of our favorite cruise lines.

Sorry your day at Hilton Rose Hall was a rainout, Gambee! Would they give you a refund if you had decided not to go based on the weather?

We were in Falmouth in January and I wanted to try Rose Hall...but without any photos or reviews, I was hesitant. Thanks to your review I think we'll try it the next time we're there! Thanks once again!

After a few laps around the lazy river we went for a frozen drink, pina colada and to check out the beach are.

DSC00986_zps39c18423.jpg

DSC00988_zpsc1697690.jpg

Our spot

DSC00989_zps98091d5b.jpg

DSC00993_zps66eb8310.jpg

DSC00994_zpsa6a1c982.jpg

DSC00995_zps40679677.jpg

Ok folks, I have to get ready and ran to work, I hope everyone enjoys this short set. I know they are not my usual pictures, but at least I had this cam to document everything during this rainy day =).

Pics are still awesome. If you ever wind up going back to Falmouth, would you go back to the Hilton again? Based on good weather naturally.

Sorry your day at Hilton Rose Hall was a rainout, Gambee! Would they give you a refund if you had decided not to go based on the weather?

We were in Falmouth in January and I wanted to try Rose Hall...but without any photos or reviews, I was hesitant. Thanks to your review I think we'll try it the next time we're there! Thanks once again!

Well you only pay $30 ahead of time and then when you get to the hilton you pay the rest $65 I think. So if you decide to stay in port, I guess you're only out $30. You could try getting a refund, but I don't think it is likely that you would get it.

Pics are still awesome. If you ever wind up going back to Falmouth, would you go back to the Hilton again? Based on good weather naturally.

Would I ever go back, probably not, why? because I get bored easily and I always want to try new things. Been there, done that kind of attitude towards everything.

That said, I 100% recommend the Hilton to anyone, the hotel is great and lots of things to around there. I am not finished with the Hilton review, there is more to come.

It is a little expensive, but given the options in that port it is not out of range. Definitely if you have the cash, do it.

Sorry to hear that your Connie trip was not ideal, you know now that I think about it I have read plenty of people complaining about that particular ship. I wonder why?

I was not aware of discrimination in the Caymans... But you know it is an island thing, Grenada has it as a law where it is illegal to be gay. I think most islands discriminate, some more than others. Even Figi is know to discriminate, I refuse to drink their water.

Yeah the weather was less than ideal, but we made what we could of it... What else can you do? We still had a great time and X is now in the list of our favorite cruise lines.

There was apparently a lot of staff turnover on the Connie after it arrived from Europe last December. A few of the cruises pre and during Christmas were affected but it appears that Celebrity HQ figured out they had a problem and fixed it. Oh well.

And you might want to try St. Croix sometime for a cruise port or a land visit. It is very gay-friendly and we have visited 15 times and love the island and her people! (hence my screenname...most people think it's for Loves Texas but it's really Loves STX)

The hub wants your watch. Oakley is one brand he doesn't have yet (he's such a watch whore)...so not only is this review going to cost me a future cruise on the Sillouette (how can I not sail on this ship?)...but now it's going to cost me a new Oakley watch.

your bff, Stacey

Hi Gambee

Obviously a deserted beach, it would get a little more action later on.

DSC00894_zpse75b7c83.jpg

Are the Hobie catamarans included in the day use price, or are they extra?

Thanks for a great review. We will be on the Silhouette this Sunday for the 15 day TA.

Gambee, I have run out of new adjectives to describe your pictures. So I will just repeat the old ones, BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! Really enjoying your very detailed and informative review. I am also happy you are having a great cruise despite some weather issues. :cool:

One quick question: When you left some of your very valuable camera equipment in your cabin, I assume you did not put it in the safe because it would not fit?

Edited by Journey11

Nice pictures with your water cam Gambee.....sorry it rained on you and your Mom that day, but still looks like fun!

Thanks, oh yeah we had a blast! The water park is small but it is still a blast.

Its far and very expensive but the French Polynesian Islands do not discriminate against gays. Take a look at PG cruises. This is one of my dreams.

We would love to do a cruise around there, but the price is just crazy! Maybe sometime in the future, you just never know ;)

There was apparently a lot of staff turnover on the Connie after it arrived from Europe last December. A few of the cruises pre and during Christmas were affected but it appears that Celebrity HQ figured out they had a problem and fixed it. Oh well.

And you might want to try St. Croix sometime for a cruise port or a land visit. It is very gay-friendly and we have visited 15 times and love the island and her people! (hence my screenname...most people think it's for Loves Texas but it's really Loves STX)

I will have to look into it , thank you for bringing that up.

The hub wants your watch. Oakley is one brand he doesn't have yet (he's such a watch whore)...so not only is this review going to cost me a future cruise on the Sillouette (how can I not sail on this ship?)...but now it's going to cost me a new Oakley watch.

your bff, Stacey

Lol, how funny is that. Yeah I rarely wear that watch because it scratches easily. I got a great deal on it a few years ago, I am also a watch whore ;)

Hi Gambee

Are the Hobie catamarans included in the day use price, or are they extra?

Thanks for a great review. We will be on the Silhouette this Sunday for the 15 day TA.

I believe those are included, the knot ones that are not included are the motored water toys.

Once again, Gambee - WONDERFUL REVIEW... Its unfortunate the weather didn't want to cooperate on your sailing :( - but sounds like you and your mom made the most of it and had a fantastic time anyway!!!

Love your watch, btw - very cool!!!! ;)

Barb

Thank you, yeah we made the best of it, what else can you do?

Hopefully we will get better weather in Bermuda.

Gambee, I have run out of new adjectives to describe your pictures. So I will just repeat the old ones, BEAUTIFUL! GORGEOUS! Really enjoying your very detailed and informative review. I am also happy you are having a great cruise despite some weather issues. :cool:

One quick question: When you left some of your very valuable camera equipment in your cabin, I assume you did not put it in the safe because it would not fit?

Thank you :)

You assume correctly, the only things that went in the safe were the wallet, docs and cellphone.

I never leave my computer in there either, I July put it outside somewhere. The camera was places in the lower drawer.

Is that something to worry about?

The way I see it is that only my room attendant goes in, I am sure he would not steal it.

I never gave much thought to it.

Being a swimmer, I love pools more than the average person and usually choose a resort with the pool in mind! :p And that second pool with the lazy river looks amazing!!

Is the beach really as small as the pictures show it?! :eek: Doesn't look like much of a desirable beach?