!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

DSC04268_zps6bcd83ac.jpg

After that we grabbed our drinks and took of the MDR for dinner. This dinner turned out to be our worst one in the entire cruise. It wasn't horrible, but it just wasn't as good as the other ones.

DSC04269_zps72efa0b2.jpg

DSC04270_zpsca45cd86.jpg

We got a really nice window table.

DSC04271_zpsa39894f8.jpg

DSC04272_zpsae4d03af.jpg

But again tables are crammed on top of each other here, the servers struggle to get around the tables.

DSC04273_zps9ddd1607.jpg

View from our window.

DSC04279_zps916372c3.jpg

Mom ordered the crab cake, very good. Sorry the camera focused on the forl and I failed to notice.

DSC04283_zps14f5d817.jpg

And the risotto was also very nice.

DSC04284_zps72d83337.jpg

Mom ordered pork medallions, which were actually ok. And yes we both ordered french fries :D, I saw a kid a few tables down with fries and asked our server for some, lol.

DSC04286_zps94c2ac97.jpg

And I ordered the chicken saltinboca. I have never seen it prepared this way, it was very plain and very dry. I took one bite and pushed it to the side, ended up eating only my fries.

DSC04287_zps3c452237.jpg

After dinner we decided to stop at the theater and check out the nightly show. It was ok I guess, he had a lot of talent with juggling, but his comedy mainly depended being goofy. Nothing memorable but funny for the time being.

DSC04291_zps6895abb9.jpg

DSC04304_zps108ea317.jpg

DSC04310_zpse662d4d4.jpg

DSC04327_zpsee4d29f0.jpg

After the show we decided to head upstairs to get some shuteye.

This guy was waiting for us

Say "Hello Master Viper!" for those of you fellow Kung Panda fans :D

DSC04348_zps12788c8d.jpg

Gambee,

Thanks for the great review and really fabulous pictures! The ship looks fantastic to me. Now to show this to the DW and get her to see that fares are that much different from Carnival. Glad you and your mom had a great cruise.

Best,

Crew

The wind died down.

DSC04350_zpsf0e286ba.jpg

We were going full speed

DSC04351_zpsbb4d1a8f.jpg

And I finish day 5 with a very common sight on our voyage in the Silli

DSC04353_zps2cf0f734.jpg

Since they were no live tv shows that night I turned on the movie channel and "WALL-E" was playing, so I went to sleep watching it. Fun movie :D, I think that was the 8th time I've seen it :D.

Day 5, Ending.

Gambee,

Thanks for the great review and really fabulous pictures! The ship looks fantastic to me. Now to show this to the DW and get her to see that fares are that much different from Carnival. Glad you and your mom had a great cruise.

Best,

Crew

Their ships are amazing, but the mood is very different than Carnival, much more mellow.

You know right now they have that sale going until April 15 for the unlimited booze package. You should look into it :).

I think you have a new viewer, I had to show him how to sign on here and how to look at these reviews. He is booked on Allure later this year and he is going to look at that review. I'm going to sneak in his office after lunch and I bet I'll find him looking at your photo's.......

Productivity at your company has come to a halt today.;)

DSC04288_zps24267ccb.jpg

The soufflé was pretty tasty!

DSC04289_zps644055cd.jpg

Macadamia white chocolate cake was just ok….

DSC04290_zps67b11b2c.jpg

I LOVE souffles and have noticed that that is one thing Princess has that Celebrity doesn't. I've never seen a souffle offered (outside of Murano) on Celebrity.

Also, I read that menu several times and there is no souffle listed.

How did you get it? (It looks SO good!!!!) :D

I liked this guy, and thought the whole bit climbing on the unicycle was hysterical. I had some pretty good laughs that night.

After dinner we decided to stop at the theater and check out the nightly show. It was ok I guess, he had a lot of talent with juggling, but his comedy mainly depended being goofy. Nothing memorable but funny for the time being.

DSC04291_zps6895abb9.jpg

DSC04304_zps108ea317.jpg

DSC04310_zpse662d4d4.jpg

DSC04327_zpsee4d29f0.jpg

DSC04348_zps12788c8d.jpg

Sir Gambee, my "Live" trip report has begun. I'm ready to board the lovely lady Jewel of the Seas on Saturday.

You and Bugsy have raised the bar with your pictures, I don't think I'll be able to get to that level with my pictures. :D But I'll do my best without the proper equipment. :) My link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826302

Only thing I know is though after this report and Bugsy's "Live" trip report I'm going to make every attempt to cruise the Silhouette during 2014.

That would be a fabulous idea! If you decide to do it - I think you would have hundreds of likes almost immediately!

Betty

I was thinking about opening a traveling page in facebook, but not sure yet. It just seems like a lot of work and that is not something that I should be getting into at this point.

Amazing review as always Gambee! I was on the Liberty of the Seas the same week going the opposite direction - we were docked in Falmouth at the same time as you, but we had just come from Labadee. Interestingly enough, we had beautiful weather, other than the day in Jamaica.

On the Coca-Cola taste - I'm not sure if this is the case, but I remember once in Las Vegas going to the Coca-Cola store there. They had a taster flight of different Coca Cola from around the world - something like 20! They have different recipes of "Coca-Cola" that they sell in different countries.. interesting. Maybe that was the reason for your experience in Jamaica with the odd tasting Coke ~ there were some that were pretty gross (IMO!).

Of course you have more great pictures! I love the slides, they would be my favorite part of the resort too!

I almost got in trouble today since I was on my phone looking at the new update instead of listening to my teacher :p But at least we were only going over stuff I already know, I mean Gambee's report is pretty important! :D

BTW were you watching a movie that the ship had on or did you bring it from home/buy it from the cruise line?

Gambee,

What lens do you use for your indoor shots? Hunky hub wants to know.

And I've always wondered as a general question to all...has anyone, in the history of ever, bought art on a cruise ship at the auctions??? I have to say I've never seen it happen. We usually stop by for the free "champagne" (aka cheap fermented juice) and then leave.

your bff, Stacey

Loving this review and am finally caught up! I have a question about formal nights in the specialty restaurants. I love formal nights as it is the only time I ever get to dress up (and force DH to do so also!) and I had planned on getting the four or five specialty dinner package on our Reflection cruise in January. On formal nights when you ate in a specialty restaurant (specifically Murano and Tuscan Grill), were any other diners dressed formally? On our past cruises we have eaten in the MDR on formal nights and have just assumed that the formal dress would carry over to the restaurants.

If only the weather had been better, you would have been thrilled with those iced towels when you came back to the ship from being ashore! Pure heaven on a hot day :)

I read your review of the Hilton because I often wonder if I am missing something when I don't get off the ship. It just seems to me that everything you had at the Hilton is pretty much what you get on the ship. A great pool, good lunch, hot tubs, towels and drinks. ANd we have already paid for it.That is why DH and I love to see everyone get off the ship so that we can enjoy a ship with fewer passengers. All those empty pool loungers!!

I will be honest in that we live close to the beach so beach days are plentiful in Fort Licquordale, opps I mean Fort Lauderdale.!!

I agree with you 1000 percent!!!!!

DSC04291_zps6895abb9.jpg

DSC04304_zps108ea317.jpg

DSC04310_zpse662d4d4.jpg

DSC04327_zpsee4d29f0.jpg

DSC04348_zps12788c8d.jpg

It seems that there were not many persons in the theater.. Strange enough, was there more peole for the other shows?? For a ship that big, I would have thought the theater would be full.

Gambee Great review.........We were on the Silhouette Jan 13/2013. The internet was the worst we have ever incountered. Your pictures are so beautiful nice to see the ship though someone else's eyes. Your picture of the "dog" that made my day. LOVE IT!!!!:D

I rarely comment in other's reviews, but, this is one great performance and one great photo. Amazing!

Thanks for commenting, yeah that bartender brought hours of entertainment to us.

I LOVE souffles and have noticed that that is one thing Princess has that Celebrity doesn't. I've never seen a souffle offered (outside of Murano) on Celebrity.

Also, I read that menu several times and there is no souffle listed.

How did you get it? (It looks SO good!!!!) :D

It was there in the menu of the MDR, I just ordered it. IT was really good, I enjoyed it very much.

I liked this guy, and thought the whole bit climbing on the unicycle was hysterical. I had some pretty good laughs that night.

Yeah different folks different strokes, my mom seemed to enjoyed it a lot as well. I guess it is not my type of comedy.

Sir Gambee, my "Live" trip report has begun. I'm ready to board the lovely lady Jewel of the Seas on Saturday.

You and Bugsy have raised the bar with your pictures, I don't think I'll be able to get to that level with my pictures. :D But I'll do my best without the proper equipment. :) My link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826302

Only thing I know is though after this report and Bugsy's "Live" trip report I'm going to make every attempt to cruise the Silhouette during 2014.

I just joined you're live report =), have a great cruise!

That would be a fabulous idea! If you decide to do it - I think you would have hundreds of likes almost immediately!

Betty

I will look into it, it is a lot of work and I might have someone to help with it.

Amazing review as always Gambee! I was on the Liberty of the Seas the same week going the opposite direction - we were docked in Falmouth at the same time as you, but we had just come from Labadee. Interestingly enough, we had beautiful weather, other than the day in Jamaica.

On the Coca-Cola taste - I'm not sure if this is the case, but I remember once in Las Vegas going to the Coca-Cola store there. They had a taster flight of different Coca Cola from around the world - something like 20! They have different recipes of "Coca-Cola" that they sell in different countries.. interesting. Maybe that was the reason for your experience in Jamaica with the odd tasting Coke ~ there were some that were pretty gross (IMO!).

I am happy that you guys had great weather, our voyage was pretty bad the entire time.

Yeah the coca cola thing is nasty on those countries, most of the island cokes just don't taste right to me. Colombian coke is slightly different that US coke, but not really that much.

Of course you have more great pictures! I love the slides, they would be my favorite part of the resort too!

I almost got in trouble today since I was on my phone looking at the new update instead of listening to my teacher :p But at least we were only going over stuff I already know, I mean Gambee's report is pretty important! :D

BTW were you watching a movie that the ship had on or did you bring it from home/buy it from the cruise line?

the little cruise ship on my bag? I bought on board, it was $11 I think. I was thinking on using it for my house keys, but after some thought I decided to keep it on my traveling bag.

Gambee,

What lens do you use for your indoor shots? Hunky hub wants to know.

And I've always wondered as a general question to all...has anyone, in the history of ever, bought art on a cruise ship at the auctions??? I have to say I've never seen it happen. We usually stop by for the free "champagne" (aka cheap fermented juice) and then leave.

your bff, Stacey

Hello Stacey,

Most of the pics inside the ship (low light) are taken with the Zeiss, the lens has the ability to open up and absorbe a lot of light. There are other more affordable fast lens in the NEX lineup, but of course the Zeiss stand alone in class by itself.

I read a review on a couple who bought a piece of art on a ship and after waiting over 2 months for delivery of the piece they decided to cancel the order, that was with RCCL, So um yeah, I think most people don't buy anything.

Yikes chicken tater tots trying to pass as saltimbocca!!

yup, I was not satisfied.

Loving this review and am finally caught up! I have a question about formal nights in the specialty restaurants. I love formal nights as it is the only time I ever get to dress up (and force DH to do so also!) and I had planned on getting the four or five specialty dinner package on our Reflection cruise in January. On formal nights when you ate in a specialty restaurant (specifically Murano and Tuscan Grill), were any other diners dressed formally? On our past cruises we have eaten in the MDR on formal nights and have just assumed that the formal dress would carry over to the restaurants.

If only the weather had been better, you would have been thrilled with those iced towels when you came back to the ship from being ashore! Pure heaven on a hot day :)

Well as you will find out later today, one the second formal night in qsine, mom notices that Gambee is 1 of 2 people not formally dressed :D.

But hey I was following the X guidelines by the book!

It seems that there were not many persons in the theater.. Strange enough, was there more peole for the other shows?? For a ship that big, I would have thought the theater would be full.

Most shows were like that, some a little more full than others. But overall you're right, it was the most empty that I have seen theaters in ships.

Gambee Great review.........We were on the Silhouette Jan 13/2013. The internet was the worst we have ever incountered. Your pictures are so beautiful nice to see the ship though someone else's eyes. Your picture of the "dog" that made my day. LOVE IT!!!!:D

Glad you likes the dog pic, I had to share it. So it might be that X needs improvement with their internet. Bugsy also reported very glitchy interent, sad to know that, I was hoping it was a voyage porblem...

Thanks for following along.

Productivity at your company has come to a halt today.;)

indeed it did.........and we had one of the best Friday's I can remember. My boss is all about golf, his wife is the cruiser, now after he spent all afternoon looking at these reviews he was as excited for his cruise as I am for mine. We are on Allure on May 19 and I was telling him how I arranged our shows and dining. He of course told me his wife would handle all that. I think seeing this through someone else's eyes has made him appreciate cruising much more.

Thanks Gambee for giving us a GREAT Friday afternoon!

Hello Stacey,

Most of the pics inside the ship (low light) are taken with the Zeiss, the lens has the ability to open up and absorbe a lot of light. There are other more affordable fast lens in the NEX lineup, but of course the Zeiss stand alone in class by itself.

He went with a Sigma for low light and the rest of his lenses are Nikon and his telephoto is a Tamron for Nikon (he has a D200 that he's had for about 5 years now). I'm trying to encourage him to get a smaller, lighter weight body as the D200 is so heavy to lug around, so he wants to look at the Sony now after seeing the quality of your photos. I'd love to surprise him with it before we head out on our cruise in 9 days! Woop!

Thanks for the quick answer...

your bff, Stacey

Edited by sredish