How easy (or not) for Seattle to release certain stateroom for longer itin?

selma

Bit of a poor title, but couldn't fit it all in there. At the moment I'm booked on a 7 night cruise this June. Well, after seeing the 2014 itineraries coming out with their prices and comparing to the 2013, I decided it would not be a bad thing at all financially to do more in 2013 instead of next year.

So I called HAL, mainly because I need an accessible stateroom and it being rather last minute booking those through the website is very frustrating (real inventory doesn't show until selecting cruise, cat stateroom etc. and much obviously is booked up already). Because of health, planning and HAL's schedule only way to make it work would be to add the 7-night Norwegian cruise on before my allready 7-night Norwegian cruise. Long shot with the accessible stateroom, but let's try.

Lo and behold, there is 1 accessible stateroom that is still open on both the 7-night for june 22nd and on the 7-night for june 29th. But; not available for the 14-night for june 22nd (exact same cruise but instead of booking it as 2 seperate 7 nights, you book it as one 14 night). Done, one would say.

Well....... I'm Dutch and guess the image of us being frugal fits, grin. Seriously though; booking me in that stateroom on the 14 night's is hundreds of euros cheaper than booking me in that same stateroom on 2 7-nights and being on the same ship, same itinerary, same dates, same stateroom. After checking on some things the HAL rep offered me to put a hold on the stateroom for the june 22nd 7-night cruise. Then contact Seattle to see if they are willing to move that open, not booked by anyone, specific stateroom from the two 7 night itineraries and open it up for that 14 night in their system. So we would be able to book me the same 14 nights, same ship, same all, but a much lower rate.

That was all this afternoon, so can understand there not being a reply yet. Within about 30 minutes or so after this call, HAL NL had my accessible G-cat stateroom I had booked on the june 29th moved to the accessible HH-stateroom on that cruise. This is the only accessible stateroom that is still available on both of the 7 nights (non on the 14 left systemwise). Which was discussed we would move me into in case we could get that 14 nights at the price of 14 nights and not the more expensive 2 times 7 nights. But; they are still having the same price on that reservation as I had locked in for my G-cat stateroom, which is higher than the HH-price for that 7 night price. Hmm, good sign of what is to come or sign that I might end up paying same price for a lower cat stateroom (which is cheaper priced) when indeed we would have to go with twice 2 night bookings?

Anyhow, anybody have any experiences with Seattle assigning a specific available stateroom from 2 shorter itineraries to one longer itinerary combining those two? Do I have a good shot of this happening and ending up with a lower cat. but with no moving and the lower price or do I have to count on being stuck with high split prices?

Anyhow, anybody have any experiences with Seattle assigning a specific available stateroom from 2 shorter itineraries to one longer itinerary combining those two?

I've done it---possibly more than once. I don't recall exactly.

But I've done it in America, via my TA. I don't know if European procedures are different.

Good luck!

Sounds good Ruth!

I'm hoping this is one of those things where we do not differ. It is Seattle who has to release it, HAL NL couldn't do it. As I was told it was out of HAL NL hands and into Seattles hand. That could be a positive sign, let's hope it is.

Reality just is I am kinda impatient. HAL rep offered to keep me posted as soon as she hears anything and stays on top of it all. Kind and not the norm I'm used to when it comes to just booking a cruise and be done. So I guess I should know as soon as HAL NL does. But still, impatient. Wanna know, wanna know. Having gotten a wrong confirmation for that june 29th they sent me quoting a price 3 times as much, after moving me into that HH-stateroom didn't make it any better. Already had phone in hand, but got a new confirmation for that but with the old G-cat price and HH-stateroom 4 minutes after getting that sky high priced one. I'll be on some nerves until we get a definate answer and all things are properly in order, whatever way that might end up.

Selma, it can be done. Not sure if you are dealing with a travel agent or HAL directly but call in asking to book the Collectors Cruise for June 22nd and tell them you see the cabin you want is available for both segments and if they can contact Ship Inventory to have that cabin pulled into the Collectors Series. Here in the US it is quite easy especially if you are on the same time zone. Problem is I am not sure HAL Ship Inventory is open on Saturday for them to move it and with the voyage needing to be paid for immediately because of the date. I would see if they would allow an extended hold for both cabins till Ship Inventory can pull them into the Collectors Series.

Selma, it can be done. Not sure if you are dealing with a travel agent or HAL directly but call in asking to book the Collectors Cruise for June 22nd and tell them you see the cabin you want is available for both segments and if they can contact Ship Inventory to have that cabin pulled into the Collectors Series. Here in the US it is quite easy especially if you are on the same time zone. Problem is I am not sure HAL Ship Inventory is open on Saturday for them to move it and with the voyage needing to be paid for immediately because of the date. I would see if they would allow an extended hold for both cabins till Ship Inventory can pull them into the Collectors Series.

Selma, sorry I did not read your last post. :o

I am pretty confident that HAL will easily move the two cabins into the Collectors Series. But you may need to be patient and they should extend your hold because I am pretty sure that Ship Inventory is not open on Saturday. So it will be Monday before they can do this.

Thanks for the reply, Lisa!

As you are explaining it, is what the rep said she asked of Seattle, but using mail instead of phone.

I'm dealing with HAL directly, or that is; their Dutch offices. No need to go with a TA here with no extras offered for doing so but risk negatives and always have an extra chain in between. Common sense for me to then always deal with HAL NL directly, esp. when in my situation there are some extra special needs stuff to be taken care off where less chains means less risk of miscommunication.

Hope it works out for you.

Please come back and let us know if you are able to get the Collectors.

So often, we never hear the 'rest of the story' and I always wonder how it went for that poseter. :)

Oh I will let you know, whether you want to or not! ;)

Wont be any news until at least monday morning. NL is closed by now, so even if inventory would be working on a saterday, NL wouldn't proceed with it to me until monday anyway.

I did it last year on NA. I had booked a 12 night Med. cruise in a particular inside Main deck cabin, and when I decided to do the 24 day Collector, the same cabin was available for the second segment. My TA was able to talk them into giving it to me. EM

Sounds gooed, EM. Fingers crossed tomorrow I'm joining the club of those who've done it succesfull. :)

Good attitude! Hope it works out for you.

If it doesn't, I would say HAL needs to rethink their way of doing this. What a hassle to put customers through! Booking should be a good experience, the first part of an ongoing wonderful cruise!

Well, got the confirmation of the hold on the first 7 day and as said already seen the switch they made to that one stateroom on the already booked 7 days. We've got the hold until the 16th, which should be plenty of time for Seattle to change it to the cheaper 14-day.

Talked to NL earlier today as I didn't have confirmation of the hold yet and was told it apparently always takes a few days before they get a reaction but should be positive.

I've simply decided that it will happen, period. I mean good experiences here, good experiences with HAL NL, so no reason for it not to happen. Just have to be patient and wait until Seattle took care off it, NL has it and I can see it. Patience isn't always my strongest part ;-) but I'm very confident this will work out.

It's starting to look like a bit of a bumpy experience.

Called HAL NL today, since we haven't heard anything yet about getting it moved to the 14-day. With the hold ending on the 16th that will leave us with one workday left basically with the time difference and thus needing to make the downpayment before Seattle is properly running on thuesday.

Nothing has come through yet, but the special needs desk having answered and taken care of certain very not standard special needs stuff. With ship inventory not working on saterday, the rep. is going to call them again on monday and see if things can finally be taken care off. If not, they will extend the hold as long as need be. Again reply is it should and will be no problem to get it to the 14 day reservation and price, but it does take a long time. Have to say rep was honest enough to call it a HAL-mistake, but heaven knows where the problem lies. Our side of the ocean, other or both?

The story continues as off now...

It's starting to look like a bit of a bumpy experience.

Called HAL NL today, since we haven't heard anything yet about getting it moved to the 14-day. With the hold ending on the 16th that will leave us with one workday left basically with the time difference and thus needing to make the downpayment before Seattle is properly running on thuesday.

Nothing has come through yet, but the special needs desk having answered and taken care of certain very not standard special needs stuff. With ship inventory not working on saterday, the rep. is going to call them again on monday and see if things can finally be taken care off. If not, they will extend the hold as long as need be. Again reply is it should and will be no problem to get it to the 14 day reservation and price, but it does take a long time. Have to say rep was honest enough to call it a HAL-mistake, but heaven knows where the problem lies. Our side of the ocean, other or both?

The story continues as off now...

How frustrating for you! If they can extend the hold, they should be able to finish the booking. How many more clicks of a computer mouse can that take???? I hope they sort it out for you soon.

How frustrating for you! If they can extend the hold, they should be able to finish the booking. How many more clicks of a computer mouse can that take???? I hope they sort it out for you soon.

This takes a clicking of the mouse HAL NL can not do until ship inventory in Seattle reassigns the stateroom from the 2 seperate 7 night itineraries to the 14-night collectors voyage. And since this is (was, as it is now booked for one 7 night and on hold for the other, for me) the only accessible stateroom available for both itineraries and nothing for that collectors voyage, it does take playing solitaire while waiting for Seattle to make that switch before HAL NL can move on through.

Well that, and since both HAL NL and I are too stubborn to book 2 seperate 7 nighters for a higher price and then wait for Seattle to make the switch to that 14-night collectors voyage. It should be no problem for Seattle to make the switch now with the booking and hold so we are sure of having that best price before commiting to 14 instead of 7 nights and both are stubborn enough pushing for that (as I understood this is not the norm, should be taken care of by now, so somewhere something is not going as should be).

Let's just hope monday will be the phone call asking for my creditcard number, so we can take care of the higher deposit for the collectors voyage.

Selma, I am so sorry to hear this is not resolved yet. I honestly thing some one dropped the ball and I hate to say it but it sounds like on the end of HAL NL. I am guessing they are maybe only communicating with Seattle via email and may not even be getting to the correct department. I honestly is not that hard to get the cabins moved. The department is called Inventory Control. I have had cabins moved out of a Collectors Voyage because it was needed for a 7 day and I have had them moved numerous times into a Collectors Voyage when they were found for both voyages. I have to believe that HAL in your end is not contacting the right department yet I find it hard to believe they would not know:confused: I have even had Inventory move the Pinnacle Suite into a Collectors Voyage just so we could see what the pricing would be and they said if I did not book it in 2 days they would move it back. So I know this department is extremely easy to work with. What you are trying to do I have done a several occasions. I think you may need to get a bit demanding with them or better yet. Does our 800 numbers work for you in NL? You have the two reservations numbers that are on hold, I think I would call Seattle Holland America in what would be Seattle's Monday morning and talk to someone directly.

Lisa, thanks for your opinion. You know, after posting on saterday, I decided kinda on what your opinion is. I can easily wait and see if HAL NL gets things in order and calls me today saying it has all been taken care off. If not; with the time difference I can easily call Seattle after office closing hours here and almost have a full workday left for Seattle to take care of it. Worst case scenario it would become a "you need to go through HAL NL", but that would just be stupid imho given both are HAL.

1-800 numbers don't work on landline, but will be skyping anyway and they do work on there. So if need be, I will be going down that route later today.

Lisa, thanks for your opinion. You know, after posting on saterday, I decided kinda on what your opinion is. I can easily wait and see if HAL NL gets things in order and calls me today saying it has all been taken care off. If not; with the time difference I can easily call Seattle after office closing hours here and almost have a full workday left for Seattle to take care of it. Worst case scenario it would become a "you need to go through HAL NL", but that would just be stupid imho given both are HAL.

1-800 numbers don't work on landline, but will be skyping anyway and they do work on there. So if need be, I will be going down that route later today.

Good for you Selma, hopefully HAL NL can get it handled today. I do think they are the ones that dropped the ball in this. Because inventory is handled in Seattle but because it probably is not something they handle frequently and then with the time difference just let it go.

Imagine yourself a cartoon caracter with steam coming out of their ears and you've got a spooky image of me right now.

Contacted Seattle and after repeatedly explaining, waiting on hold for checking with supervisors, sure enough! Nop, you have to go through HAL NL. We will not touch this, this is a policy we have for these things, only HAL NL can arrange this with us. Not to worry, there is no problem after all as I can go on the 14 days but just have no guarantee whatsoever that they will "grace" me with the lower pricing of one booking instead of two.

I'm not one to raise a voice, let alone start scolding, but let me just say I have made overly clear how nuts this is, imho. No result whatsoever, could not get any further than general callcenter and supervisor, no such "luck" as being "allowed" to talk to ship inventory or even willingness to put this issue to their attention. To make it worse, as predictable not one word from HAL NL unlike promissed there would be today. Office is closed by now, nice...........

At the moment I'm very close to letting them take off the hold of the other 7 night and be done with it. No thank you to being "allowed" to cruise at a higher price or have to jump through so many frustrating hoops with no help nor helpfull answers to actually when repeating over and over again you want to give them more of your money but at the price they are offering others. One would almost think they don't want money. ;) First thing tomorrow morning HAL NL is mine and it better result into factual results on that same day. And if it does end up being just the 7 day already booked, I will be expecting to either be changed back to my old better category of stateroom or in case of booked up to have them change the price to match the lower category stateroom the moved me into proactively based on "oh Seattle will make the move, no biggie, will take care off it". As of yet it is still the old higher price with the lower category stateroom. Not acceptable when ending up needing to turn my back on extending to the 14 nights.

I don't care all that much who dropped the ball or why, I care about it getting solved within no time and promisses to be simply upheld.

PS; if anybody happens to have the direct phone number for ship inventory, let me know. Who cares risking another "it is policy that we will not touch", I'm already annoyed enough and willing to try and see if I can get somewhere when contacting the department directly, but callcenter will not put me through and can only find a fax number for them.

Imagine yourself a cartoon caracter with steam coming out of their ears and you've got a spooky image of me right now.

Contacted Seattle and after repeatedly explaining, waiting on hold for checking with supervisors, sure enough! Nop, you have to go through HAL NL. We will not touch this, this is a policy we have for these things, only HAL NL can arrange this with us. Not to worry, there is no problem after all as I can go on the 14 days but just have no guarantee whatsoever that they will "grace" me with the lower pricing of one booking instead of two.

I'm not one to raise a voice, let alone start scolding, but let me just say I have made overly clear how nuts this is, imho. No result whatsoever, could not get any further than general callcenter and supervisor, no such "luck" as being "allowed" to talk to ship inventory or even willingness to put this issue to their attention. To make it worse, as predictable not one word from HAL NL unlike promissed there would be today. Office is closed by now, nice...........

At the moment I'm very close to letting them take off the hold of the other 7 night and be done with it. No thank you to being "allowed" to cruise at a higher price or have to jump through so many frustrating hoops with no help nor helpfull answers to actually when repeating over and over again you want to give them more of your money but at the price they are offering others. One would almost think they don't want money. ;) First thing tomorrow morning HAL NL is mine and it better result into factual results on that same day. And if it does end up being just the 7 day already booked, I will be expecting to either be changed back to my old better category of stateroom or in case of booked up to have them change the price to match the lower category stateroom the moved me into proactively based on "oh Seattle will make the move, no biggie, will take care off it". As of yet it is still the old higher price with the lower category stateroom. Not acceptable when ending up needing to turn my back on extending to the 14 nights.

I don't care all that much who dropped the ball or why, I care about it getting solved within no time and promisses to be simply upheld.

PS; if anybody happens to have the direct phone number for ship inventory, let me know. Who cares risking another "it is policy that we will not touch", I'm already annoyed enough and willing to try and see if I can get somewhere when contacting the department directly, but callcenter will not put me through and can only find a fax number for them.

I am truly sorry for all the hassle you are experiencing.....may I ask one question....do you have a travel agent???? I really believe any good travel agent worth their salt could cut through this faster than you can as a passenger.

My suggestion to you, is that if you haven't found a good travel agent, you look for one. You might be able to avoid these problems next time and you will have someone NOT from HAL NL or HAL Seattle to also go to bat for you! Because of the volume of business many of the cruise agencies do, they are able to speak directly to HAL employees rather than experiencing the brush off you just received from HAL Seattle.....

Good luck!

I am truly sorry for all the hassle you are experiencing.....may I ask one question....do you have a travel agent???? I really believe any good travel agent worth their salt could cut through this faster than you can as a passenger.

My suggestion to you, is that if you haven't found a good travel agent, you look for one. You might be able to avoid these problems next time and you will have someone NOT from HAL NL or HAL Seattle to also go to bat for you! Because of the volume of business many of the cruise agencies do, they are able to speak directly to HAL employees rather than experiencing the brush off you just received from HAL Seattle.....

Good luck!

No TA, went with HAL directly given some very specific special needs stuff (tends to always something fall down the cracks with extra chains in between) combined with the no real benefits a TA offers down here but does come with loads of extra limitations.

Unlike US TA's (which I fall down on when working with TA's and an option) down here it would just basically be shrugging it off. One call and getting the same message; oh well, can't anything be done. :rolleyes: Unfortunately not allowed by HAL (starts to get a recurring thing here, doesn't it) to book through a US-bades TA given my location.

Hopefully having a direct name WILL make a difference. As far as I know there is only one bigger TA here for HAL, but doubt if they make big enough numbers. Will definately check this very subject out though!

Am planning to add at least one more cruise next year and with my criteria of departure from the Netherlands HAL would normally be a very good option. Hopefully this sour taste will soon be made right and however many nights I end up cruising this june will end up leaving me with a much more positive overall experience balance. Huge lesson already learned though when considering HAL for next year.

Archived