MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Ok, rookie Splendor cruiser here. Where is the Burrito Bar located? I too would be willing to pay for gelatto. Sailing in 28 days,Woo Hoo!! I loved the Miracle, but I think the SPlendor will be a nice change.

The Burrito Bar is near the back/aft of the buffet area. If you end up outside near the pool, you've gone to far :p They do the made to order omelets there in the morning. There are aisles on either side of the buffet stations (tables on the outside of the aisles.) You come into an open space at the end and the Burrito Bar is in between two buffet stations. The chips, salsa and guacamole are by the flight of stairs that goes up to the Rotisserie.

The Burritos were good, but I liked the snacks :) I've got 103 days - but I have a trip to Bermuda in between so it should go fast!

My daughter is going to be sooooo excited about the salsa/guacamole bar and gelatto - there goes the pizza and ice cream! :D

I don't know for sure if they have the gelatto - I just heard some one mention it in passing. Ice cream/yogurt is on the port side (left facing the bow) as is the pizza. Both the pizza and the grill (hot dogs & hamburgers) are in the mid-ship Lido pool area. Along with 2 bars and the Dive in Movies. Hot tubs are one deck up (shhh don't tell - most people don't know they are there!)

Chips, guacamole and salsa are only there while the Burrito Bar is going. Probably noon to about 2:30 or 3.

I don't know for sure if they have the gelatto - I just heard some one mention it in passing. Ice cream/yogurt is on the port side (left facing the bow) as is the pizza. Both the pizza and the grill (hot dogs & hamburgers) are in the mid-ship Lido pool area. Along with 2 bars and the Dive in Movies. Hot tubs are one deck up (shhh don't tell - most people don't know they are there!)

Chips, guacamole and salsa are only there while the Burrito Bar is going. Probably noon to about 2:30 or 3.

Very happy knowing we can get salsa and guac for an afternoon snack. Although I guess with the New England itinerary, we won't be on the ship at snack time!

Very happy knowing we can get salsa and guac for an afternoon snack. Although I guess with the New England itinerary, we won't be on the ship at snack time!

There are 2 sea days :) I don't know about Halifax, but at St John it wasn't hard to get back to the ship.

Just off splendor yesterday.

Burrito bar is in back before liner pool in the middle of the buffet lines in front of the sweet spot . . . various salsa's are there but only while open (12-2:30 sea days, 12-3:30 port days). However, the grill at the main lido pool also has chips (not as good chips imho) and salsa and is open til 6:00.

Taste bar only open sea days on our itinerary ---- just okay.

Heard rumor that when Splendor goes to dry dock (not sure when), they are going to replace the Rotisseri with Cuccino Capitano.

I do not believe the Coffee/Sweet pay place has gelato. I just stopped by for the puzzles but didn't see it that I remember.

Just off splendor yesterday.

Burrito bar is in back before liner pool in the middle of the buffet lines in front of the sweet spot . . . various salsa's are there but only while open (12-2:30 sea days, 12-3:30 port days). However, the grill at the main lido pool also has chips (not as good chips imho) and salsa and is open til 6:00.

Taste bar only open sea days on our itinerary ---- just okay.

Heard rumor that when Splendor goes to dry dock (not sure when), they are going to replace the Rotisseri with Cuccino Capitano.

I do not believe the Coffee/Sweet pay place has gelato. I just stopped by for the puzzles but didn't see it that I remember.

Thanks - making notes for Sept! I was hoping if they were going to replace the Rotisserie they would do it with a Guys. Rotisserie is a great place to sit - will take advantage while I can!

Loved the Burrito Bar snacks :) My favorite is the Mongolian Wok. I try to hit it at times when the line isn't too long - but I'll stand on line - it's that good!

Did you enjoy your cruise? Which itinerary did you do?

Sailing Splendor next Wednesday...will check on the gelatto. I am sure I saw it on my last trip in December unless I am just stressing out on the last minute things needing to be done between now and next Wednesday!;)

MARAPRINCE

Sailing Splendor next Wednesday...will check on the gelatto. I am sure I saw it on my last trip in December unless I am just stressing out on the last minute things needing to be done between now and next Wednesday!;)

MARAPRINCE

Thanks I was hoping for gelatto! Enjoy! Where are you off to?

Thanks - making notes for Sept! I was hoping if they were going to replace the Rotisserie they would do it with a Guys. Rotisserie is a great place to sit - will take advantage while I can!

Loved the Burrito Bar snacks :) My favorite is the Mongolian Wok. I try to hit it at times when the line isn't too long - but I'll stand on line - it's that good!

Did you enjoy your cruise? Which itinerary did you do?

We did the GT, HMC, Nassau and it was wonderful. GT/HMC beautiful days; Nassau - cool windy and very damp - we stayed on ship.

I usually get Mongolian Wok the first day immediately when I board; otherwise, I don't have patience for that line. Since we generally hang at the back near the adult only pool, I found I really liked trying some of the items on the tandori . . . on port days when certain crew are aloud to eat on deck, the line was long with all kinds of Carnival employees . . . funny. I would go get a piece of chicken from rotisserie and cut it up and put it on Naan bread with the cucumber sauce and some greek salad . . . . yummy.

We did the GT, HMC, Nassau and it was wonderful. GT/HMC beautiful days; Nassau - cool windy and very damp - we stayed on ship.

I usually get Mongolian Wok the first day immediately when I board; otherwise, I don't have patience for that line. Since we generally hang at the back near the adult only pool, I found I really liked trying some of the items on the tandori . . . on port days when certain crew are aloud to eat on deck, the line was long with all kinds of Carnival employees . . . funny. I would go get a piece of chicken from rotisserie and cut it up and put it on Naan bread with the cucumber sauce and some greek salad . . . . yummy.

Kat, I was on same cruise as Lisa, and guess what I did for you? I MEASURED THE PLATES!!! ;):D They are 10 3/4" x 8 1/2" with a big kind of "lip." I will give you a tip I figured out. You can get a bowl or a salad size plate (where the omelettes and danishes are) and kind of put it on one side of your platter, then there is a bit of room on the other side of the platter for food also. So I had my oatmeal in the bowl, then would put my eggs, bacon etc. on the side of the platter. One morning I had my oatmeal in the bowl, got a smaller plate for an omelette and put that ON TOP of the oatmeal bowl, then used the side of the platter for fruit and toast. Not very much room, but it's somethng at least! We had a great cruise and as Lisa said, great weather except Nassau. We hadn't planned anything either. I just wanted to get off the ship to take a picture of it with all the other ships in port. Wind was something awful. Almost felt like hurricane was coming! :eek:

Just got off the Splendor 5/20 in NYC. They wear anything and everything for casual and elegant nights. Seen baseball caps, sports logo t-shirts, men in shorts, you name it for "elegant night." Could count the number of jackets on men for elegant nights on two hands. Wear whatever you want, the Carnival hostesses don't turn anyone away. As for the Splendor it was so crowded this cruise it was at full capacity at 3,000 guests plus an extra 400 guests. Be prepared to wait for diner in the MDR if you have anytime dining. Also it usually took over two hours for dinner in the MDR for anytime dining. Also on one night, they ran out of pagers and we were asked to come back in 20 minutes and wait in line again for a pager when they came available. Service was also very slow and it was so crowded in the MDR, you could hardly walk between the chairs and tables. On the decks, lounge chairs were so close together that you had to crawl on them if you could find any vacant ones. WE WOULD NOT SAIL ON THE SPLENDOR AGAIN!

Just got off the Splendor 5/20 in NYC. They wear anything and everything for casual and elegant nights. Seen baseball caps, sports logo t-shirts, men in shorts, you name it for "elegant night." Could count the number of jackets on men for elegant nights on two hands. Wear whatever you want, the Carnival hostesses don't turn anyone away. As for the Splendor it was so crowded this cruise it was at full capacity at 3,000 guests plus an extra 400 guests. Be prepared to wait for diner in the MDR if you have anytime dining. Also it usually took over two hours for dinner in the MDR for anytime dining. Also on one night, they ran out of pagers and we were asked to come back in 20 minutes and wait in line again for a pager when they came available. Service was also very slow and it was so crowded in the MDR, you could hardly walk between the chairs and tables. On the decks, lounge chairs were so close together that you had to crawl on them if you could find any vacant ones. WE WOULD NOT SAIL ON THE SPLENDOR AGAIN!

Wow, sorry to hear that was your experience on the Splendor. We had the total opposite experience. On our sailing people not dressed up for elegant night were the exception, anytime dining was great and it didn't feel overly crowded. Hope future cruises are better.

Hi Carol, I didn't make the M&G and went to slot pull on TUESDAY instead of WEDNESDAY, so never did get to meet up with anyone, but had hoped in meeting people around the ship that I would find you! We also had ATD and we only waited once for about 1/2 hour. But we usually got there between 6-6:30. And yes, those tables are SO CLOSE TOGETHER and I think on this thread a while ago someone who is plus size was worried about walking the aisles and I said I am small and even I had trouble...One night we were sitting at a table and DH was on the "couch" and I was on the chair in the aisle and I was CONSTANTLY being bumped by pax and waiters going to and fro. Think of someone sitting behind you in a movie theater, etc. who is kicking your chair. :mad: DH wore a tuxedo on lst elegant night and suit and tie on 2nd. We both "dressed up" every single night, however. The last night in the dining room there were men with shorts and grungy tee shirts and as God is my judge, as we were walking out, the hostess was seating people one of whom was a 20 something who was wearing "Daisy Duke" shorts and a barely there tank top. :eek: I had more material on one arm of my blouse than she did in her whole outfit. Unacceptable! :mad: We had a great time, I would recommend Splendor, but this is our 3rd time on her and I have seen a decline even from Feb. Very subtle, but noticeable. But maybe it was just the cruise we were on. I met some VERY VERY nice people on this cruise, but it also had some of the RUDEST PEOPLE I have EVER encountered on ANY cruise. :mad: Oh, and don't get me started on the gift shop problem I had...again, I am very easy to please. I LOVE to cruise, LOVE ships, LOVE to be in the middle of the ocean and it was a great week for me, but there were little things that just should not happened. Oh, and parents, PLEASE watch your children. They were running all over the place and even very little ones without supervision.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I really loved the Splendor when we were on her last June. Maybe because, I didn't think I'd like it after the Miracle (which I also love), so I had low expectations and was very pleasantly surprised.

We don't do anytime dining. I like late seating. I'd rather eat at 8 instead of 8:15, but I'm not going to quibble.

I've also found that cruises out of NYC tend to have more people who dress up. I dress up from what I wear during the day - shorts & t-shirts to pants and a nice top on casual nights. Beaded top and long chiffon pant/skirt thing for Elegant. I don't pay all that much attention to what other people are wearing - other than people who are really well-put together fashion-wise.

I do agree about the tables being close together, but I've found that on all the ships I've been on.

I am still very much looking forward to my cruise aboard the Splendor in Sept.!

Kat, I was on same cruise as Lisa, and guess what I did for you? I MEASURED THE PLATES!!! ;):D They are 10 3/4" x 8 1/2" with a big kind of "lip." I will give you a tip I figured out.

LOL - thank you Karen! You are too funny! Did you get any strange looks when you whipped out your measuring tape? :D

Now I can measure my trays that I bought and see if I can fit a plate, drink and silverware on them. That's all I'm asking - I'm not loading up the tray with enough food to feed a battalion! If not, I'm swiping one from room service. If I wanted to juggle, I'd have joined the circus :cool:

I think I'm going to invent a buffet vest with cup/glass holders and lots of pockets to put silverware and other necessities in. I could make enough money selling them and pay for more cruises!

LOL - thank you Karen! You are too funny! Did you get any strange looks when you whipped out your measuring tape? :D

Now I can measure my trays that I bought and see if I can fit a plate, drink and silverware on them. That's all I'm asking - I'm not loading up the tray with enough food to feed a battalion! If not, I'm swiping one from room service. If I wanted to juggle, I'd have joined the circus :cool:

I think I'm going to invent a buffet vest with cup/glass holders and lots of pockets to put silverware and other necessities in. I could make enough money selling them and pay for more cruises!

I should have thought of that! In re: your response to Lisa, I am the same way you are, but I probably dress up just a bit more lol. I just love sparkly pretty things! I put them on for dinner and don't change until I go to bed! But I have to say that THIS CROWD (because I don't categorize a sailing by ship but rather by the SAILING because it's all different, know what I mean?) the people were way over the top. There were a lot of very well dressed people, but others....:eek: And the point is that these pax were actually ALLOWED in the dining rooms. That is totally unacceptable. And to repeat myself, I met a BUNCH of truly GREAT people on this cruise, but there were also some of the RUDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. I am NOT blaming CCL or the Splendor for their behavior, but it was just kind of "disillusioning." Anyway, you will have a great time! I try not to let the bs bother me, but I have to admit by about mid week on this cruise I said to DH: I don't care if I never see another human being again lol. :mad:

Oh, and parents, PLEASE watch your children. They were running all over the place and even very little ones without supervision.

In regard to the kids on the ship for our 5/12/14 sailing out of NYC. One sea day we were at the only two lounges we could find which were at the slide pool. We left for lunch and when we came back from lunch, we saw the pool attendants with rubber gloves on. They had evacuated the pool and they were fishing out a large turd (someone had took a dump in the pool). Pool was immediately drained and the nets were placed over the entire pool. The attendants were disinfecting the whole pool from top to bottom including all the rails and seats. They did an amazing job and within an hour the pool was filled and operational. They really should have closed the whirlpool too. Most of the time there were at least 10 kids in it for hours. You know they were peeing in it too!

We never use the ship's whirlpools no matter where they are located.

In regard to the kids on the ship for our 5/12/14 sailing out of NYC. One sea day we were at the only two lounges we could find which were at the slide pool. We left for lunch and when we came back from lunch, we saw the pool attendants with rubber gloves on. They had evacuated the pool and they were fishing out a large turd (someone had took a dump in the pool). Pool was immediately drained and the nets were placed over the entire pool. The attendants were disinfecting the whole pool from top to bottom including all the rails and seats. They did an amazing job and within an hour the pool was filled and operational. They really should have closed the whirlpool too. Most of the time there were at least 10 kids in it for hours. You know they were peeing in it too!

We never use the ship's whirlpools no matter where they are located.

Yikes - Eeew! I always used to like the hot tubs until I heard about that - the peeing. I'd never thought about it, because I wouldn't do it. Apparently there are a lot of people who WOULD do what I would NOT :confused:

I should have thought of that! In re: your response to Lisa, I am the same way you are, but I probably dress up just a bit more lol. I just love sparkly pretty things! I put them on for dinner and don't change until I go to bed!

Oh I'm ALL about the sparkle :)

That is totally unacceptable. And to repeat myself, I met a BUNCH of truly GREAT people on this cruise, but there were also some of the RUDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED. I am NOT blaming CCL or the Splendor for their behavior, but it was just kind of "disillusioning." Anyway, you will have a great time! I try not to let the bs bother me, but I have to admit by about mid week on this cruise I said to DH: I don't care if I never see another human being again lol. :mad:

I know what you mean. Sadly, I think "appropriate dress" AND "appropriate behavior" has gone the way of the dodo bird. But sometimes that pendulum swings back! And some of us will be ready for it! ;)

I never ever go in the pools! I will sit on the benches and put my feet in the water, but that's the extent of it! We were at the "main pool" and I can't even tell you the DOZENS of times each day I saw a Mommy take her little baby/toddler's diaper off, put bathing suit back on and take little Jack or Jill into the pool. Now, I ask you...if that child had to pee or poop, do you think it would ask Mommy to put it's diaper back on??? :confused::confused:

I never ever go in the pools! I will sit on the benches and put my feet in the water, but that's the extent of it! We were at the "main pool" and I can't even tell you the DOZENS of times each day I saw a Mommy take her little baby/toddler's diaper off, put bathing suit back on and take little Jack or Jill into the pool. Now, I ask you...if that child had to pee or poop, do you think it would ask Mommy to put it's diaper back on??? :confused::confused:

I'd say all the more reason to use the adult pool, but I don't know as some adults are any better! :o

We dress for dinner every night. I wear casual dresses and hubby does docker and button down shirt for casual nights. Fancier sparkly dresses for elegant. I don't let what people wear bother me but some were just outrageous . . . one lady in the VIFP room was too unbelievable. Never saw anything like it.

We dress for dinner every night. I wear casual dresses and hubby does docker and button down shirt for casual nights. Fancier sparkly dresses for elegant. I don't let what people wear bother me but some were just outrageous . . . one lady in the VIFP room was too unbelievable. Never saw anything like it.

Makes you wonder. doesn't it? I'll bet they think they look good! ;)