MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Hi! We just booked our trip on the Splendor and we are very excited. But, I am a little concerned and here's why: a friend who also travels often with Carnival is on the Splendor right now. She called me from port and said the service is the worst she has ever seen with Carnival! She said they seem understaffed and just too exhausted to give the service she is used too. (This girl is very low maintenance) has anyone else experienced this recently on the Splendor? I am going during Spring Break so I know it will be full, but one thing I have always been able to count on was Carnival's exceptional customer service. I'm a little worried!

I just got off the Splendor yesterday and thought the service was excellent. Plenty of smiles from the crew all around the ship......Overall I thought the Splendor service was better than my last Carnival cruise on the Legend....

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Forums mobile app

I have sailed out of NYC many times, but first time on Splendor, we will be sailing for New Years. I love being on a ship after Christmas and enjoying New Years. I am very excited about the Splendor while I have been on this itinerary many times I am going to enjoy the ship. We were on the Legend in Aug doing the Baltic cruise, service was excellent and we loved the ship.

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad Kath started this thread. We've only ever been on one cruise before. The Norwegian Gem out of NY to Bahamas. We loved it. Now we are booked on the Splendor in July 2014 for a family reunion cruise. We will be on the July 31st cruise to New England/Canada. I have some questions and would appreciate any answers I can get. Thanks in advance.

1. Does anyone know if the ship sails close enough to the coast that you could see land from the balcony?

2. Is there a charge for mini golf and if so, how much?

3. Do any of the food places serve wings? Are there any 24 hour food outlets? Did anyone ever find out about the chicken fingers?

Thanks again in advance for the help. I'm sure between now and then I'll have more questions. The Splendor looks like an amazing ship and we are really looking forward to boarding her.

Our first ever cruise was the Canada cruise out of NYC this past August. We had a balcony. Until you got very close (morning of port stop) you couldn't see land - but we did enjoy seeing the land from our balcony early that morning. Our cruise was a 5 day and went to Saint John and Halifax. We loved Saint John. We hired a private tour through Roy's Tours and saw everything - drove up the Fundy Trail, they took us to this great place for lunch - they fit a lot into one day and our tour guide was very knowledgeable about Saint John's history. Roy is a taxi driver and he has a "network" of drivers that do these tours. They charge $50/hour (normally $300 day) for up to 6 people. It was just the three of us since we didn't want to try to find others go with us - but it was still very much worth the cost.

We had such a great time on our first cruise that we are going on our second in January (on the SPLENDOR) to the Bahamas.

Just got off the splendor yesterday. Had a great time! Can't see land while at sea, no chicken wings but they do serve roasted chicken quarters at the rotiserre and no charge for mini golf. If you can think of any other questions feel free to ask while its all still frwsh in my head

Anyone who sailed a few months back remember about how many children were on board around the first week of June?

I think it depends on who you're asking (unless you're asking someone with a roster because then they would give you a completely accurate answer). Because I have not children I wasn't actively looking for them so I did notice there were children on board but they weren't there in such large hoards that it was a nuisance if they were running around or misbehaving. I'm guessing though that if you asked someone with children who wanted their kids to have playmates that they thought there were a good amount because it was already the beginning of summer and some kids were out of school.

Our first ever cruise was the Canada cruise out of NYC this past August. We had a balcony. Until you got very close (morning of port stop) you couldn't see land - but we did enjoy seeing the land from our balcony early that morning. Our cruise was a 5 day and went to Saint John and Halifax. We loved Saint John. We hired a private tour through Roy's Tours and saw everything - drove up the Fundy Trail, they took us to this great place for lunch - they fit a lot into one day and our tour guide was very knowledgeable about Saint John's history. Roy is a taxi driver and he has a "network" of drivers that do these tours. They charge $50/hour (normally $300 day) for up to 6 people. It was just the three of us since we didn't want to try to find others go with us - but it was still very much worth the cost.

We had such a great time on our first cruise that we are going on our second in January (on the SPLENDOR) to the Bahamas.

Thank you. That is what I meant to say. i was hoping we could see land as we are sailing closer to port. We are hoping to have a large group and a bunch love white water rafting. Hopefully we will do the jet boat tour for the reversing falls.

Just got off the splendor yesterday. Had a great time! Can't see land while at sea, no chicken wings but they do serve roasted chicken quarters at the rotiserre and no charge for mini golf. If you can think of any other questions feel free to ask while its all still frwsh in my head

Thanks so much. Good to know about the mini golf.

My DS who will be 13 when we sail will not be happy about the wings. That was his favorite food on the Gem and the place was open 24 hours, lol. He'll just have to figure out a new place to like on the Splendor.

262 days to go.

Thanks so much. Good to know about the mini golf.

My DS who will be 13 when we sail will not be happy about the wings. That was his favorite food on the Gem and the place was open 24 hours, lol. He'll just have to figure out a new place to like on the Splendor.

262 days to go.

That is so funny....I always LOVED the chicken fingers they had at the grill on the Miracle and was SO UPSET they don't have them on the Splendor. :( With all the food to choose from....GO FIGURE lol! :rolleyes::o:p

That is so funny....I always LOVED the chicken fingers they had at the grill on the Miracle and was SO UPSET they don't have them on the Splendor. :( With all the food to choose from....GO FIGURE lol! :rolleyes::o:p

I love chicken fingers too. Hopefully they add wings and fingers by July. ;)

Can someone confirm that elegant nights on the 8 day cruise are the first and third sea days, which are the second and seventh nights? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is correct. In other words, if you leave on a Monday, elegant nights will be Tuesday and Sunday.

To the original poster... we went to the reversing falls on our tour and saw the jet boat - it looked like a lot of fun and the tour guy said that people LOVE it. The tour guide also said that the people that run the jet boat have been doing it for a very long time and are experts/very safe. They also have zip lining over the falls too that looked fun.

Anyone who sailed a few months back remember about

how many children were on board around the first week of June?

Hi Lerin :)

I was on a B2B voyage on the Splendor from May 25th to

June 10th. During our 2nd leg of the B2B, June 2nd to June

10th, there was far more kids on the cruise than our 1st leg.

Many crew members, guest services and our cruise director

Jeremy 'big tex' Mayes all commented that the kId count was

just under 1,000. Most were very well behaved.

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Hi Lerin :)

I was on a B2B voyage on the Splendor from May 25th to

June 10th. During our 2nd leg of the B2B, June 2nd to June

10th, there was far more kids on the cruise than our 1st leg.

Many crew members, guest services and our cruise director

Jeremy 'big tex' Mayes all commented that the kId count was

just under 1,000. Most were very well behaved.

:)

Really?! Wow, that surprises me, we thought they'd still be in school.

How many do you think were on the first leg?

We generally cruise when school is in and have had at most maybe 200 kids on a ship.

To the original poster... we went to the reversing falls on our tour and saw the jet boat - it looked like a lot of fun and the tour guy said that people LOVE it. The tour guide also said that the people that run the jet boat have been doing it for a very long time and are experts/very safe. They also have zip lining over the falls too that looked fun.

Thanks. Good to know they are experts and safe. My kids will be 13 and 15 and are thrill seekers (like their mom).

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

just put my deposit down today for 5/12/14 sailing!!

i am not going to read too much into negative reviews at all. i always have a good time and i have been well taken care of the last 3 times with carnival! i mean how can you moan and groan about being on vacation?? AND visiting beautiful locations?? i just dont get it.

i was able to book room 6475 which the hubs was excited about. this will be his 3rd cruise..

i am glad i came across this thread cause it seemed that there was not a whole bunch of information on the splendor... until i read jamminmans review... awesome. :)

mine and hubby's plan is to get there a couple of days early so we can be tourists...hehehe

I was on the cruise June 10 for 8 days with the OP. There were around 300 children. We had our Grandchildren with us and they had plenty of company. Most children must have been pretty well behaved as we did not see hoards of them. I think it would be the norm rather than the exception that children would be out of school. Most in our area get out the 3rd week of May and we met many from the West coast that had been out since Memorial Day. I think it is only the northern schools that are still in the beginning of June.

Really?! Wow, that surprises me, we thought they'd still be in school.

How many do you think were on the first leg?

We generally cruise when school is in and have had at most maybe 200 kids on a ship.