MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

We go to HMC, GT and Nassau so I am excited! HMC and GT are 2 of my favorite ports of call. A LOT better than PC, Nassau and Freeport!

I really love HMC and GT too - never get tired of going there!

Cyber kat...got off several weeks ago...they have the new big plates AND the Mongolia wok. Don't remember the band's name but they were pretty good.

sent from my commodore 64

Does anybody have a photo or can describe what these "big plates" look like? We were on the Splendor last July & they still had the trays.

Thanks!!

Edited by Dina7

Wish I could join you, Karen, but I'm nearly out of vacation days. We are going to Bermuda in July and I booked us on the Sept 1 Splendor to Canada cruise because it's only using 4 vacation days. It leaves on Labor Day.

Ship looks empty if anyone wants to join us! I'm hoping for a price drop!

Sorry to hear about the demise of the trays :mad: Guess I will have to pick up a small cheapo one and bring my own!

If prices get dirt cheap, I may book this cruise . . . I have it on my "watch"

Cyber kat...got off several weeks ago...they have the new big plates AND the Mongolia wok. Don't remember the band's name but they were pretty good.

Thanks! Not happy about the platray things. Thinking of bringing my own tray. Although I read somewhere on here that someone saved the tray from room service and took that to the buffet :)

Glad to hear the band was good - we like the live bands.

Did they still do the Burrito Bar at lunch. I loved the tortilla chips, guacamole and salsa they put on the fixings bar. Makes a great snack.

Does anyone have a picture of these plates-pretending-to-be-trays. The thing that annoys me is that you have to find a table, put your food down, have someone sit at the table while you go get your drinks. By then your food is cold - and it's never very warm by the time you get to the table anyway :(

Yes they have the burrito bar, Tandoor, Mongolia wok and rotisserie. I have to be honest about the new plates....it was much less crowded feeling without all those people carrying big trays...

sent from my commodore 64

Yes they have the burrito bar, Tandoor, Mongolia wok and rotisserie. I have to be honest about the new plates....it was much less crowded feeling without all those people carrying big trays...

Oh good! I only had a few things from the rotisserie, but they were good. I did love that it was never crowded up there and you could get a seat by the window.

Kath, yes, they still have the burrito bar and the wok. I agree about the plates, but it wasn't as "traumatic" as I thought it would be. You kind of get used to it! I remember going on a Princess cruise a long time ago and they had little cards on the buffet tables that said something like, I am on line, please don't remove my plate. I am thinking of making my own so that my plates aren't cleared away while I am getting my drink! The alternative of course, is to get your drink lst and secure a table with it, then get food. I just can't figure out why CCL decided to do this...:mad: The plates are kind of oval and they are very sturdy plastic, almost like Correll Ware.

Kath, yes, they still have the burrito bar and the wok. I agree about the plates, but it wasn't as "traumatic" as I thought it would be. You kind of get used to it! I remember going on a Princess cruise a long time ago and they had little cards on the buffet tables that said something like, I am on line, please don't remove my plate. I am thinking of making my own so that my plates aren't cleared away while I am getting my drink! The alternative of course, is to get your drink lst and secure a table with it, then get food. I just can't figure out why CCL decided to do this...:mad: The plates are kind of oval and they are very sturdy plastic, almost like Correll Ware.

They weren't traumatic on RCI either - but they also had drink carts with a person going around, so you could flag one down. They had coffee in carafes (IIRC) and juice in the am. I forget what they had at lunch.

I don't want to put everything on one plate either. Sometimes I want a grapefruit, pancakes and bacon for breakfast. What do I do with the grapefruit. They used to have small dishes for those. Do you balance it on top of your pancakes :)

Sometimes at lunch I would pick up a dessert at the same time. Don't want cake on the same plate as my meal! Or what about salad. Now a meal must require 3 or 4 trips up to the line - and haven for bid, you just ask if you can grab something instead of waiting in line!

They weren't traumatic on RCI either - but they also had drink carts with a person going around, so you could flag one down. They had coffee in carafes (IIRC) and juice in the am. I forget what they had at lunch.

I don't want to put everything on one plate either. Sometimes I want a grapefruit, pancakes and bacon for breakfast. What do I do with the grapefruit. They used to have small dishes for those. Do you balance it on top of your pancakes :)

Sometimes at lunch I would pick up a dessert at the same time. Don't want cake on the same plate as my meal! Or what about salad. Now a meal must require 3 or 4 trips up to the line - and haven for bid, you just ask if you can grab something instead of waiting in line!

Agree 100%. Breakfast I always have eggs with bacon, toast, danish, etc. then sometimes I have pancakes or waffles or French Toast and I like to put that in a cereal bowl and put syrup on it. I don't want syrup on my eggs! :eek: And I ALWAYS ALWAYS get a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar on top! And I also like grapefrut which I put in a bowl....So it is a bit of a juggling act. And then you have your utensils to carry too! Every cruise we have been on they come around with the coffee/juice cart. I can't remember if they do that at lunch, but I KNOW they do it at breakfast. But I like to "make" my own drinks!

• 2 weeks later...
Oh good! I only had a few things from the rotisserie, but they were good. I did love that it was never crowded up there and you could get a seat by the window.

My mom will be in a wheelchair or scooter. Is the rotisserie accessible from an elevator?

thanks

Princess uses the large oval plates as trays as well and has been doing this for several years. You get used to it. Sit near some of the beverage stations and just carry over your water and other beverages to your table before getting on line for food. Same as for the cups and silverwear.

Have seen several accidents with the trays filled up to the brim and then someone places the tray on an unstable surface while getting more food and the whole tray flips over with everything going every which way!:(

The large platters are easier to manage than the trays.

MARAPRINCE

Princess uses the large oval plates as trays as well and has been doing this for several years. You get used to it. Sit near some of the beverage stations and just carry over your water and other beverages to your table before getting on line for food. Same as for the cups and silverwear.

Have seen several accidents with the trays filled up to the brim and then someone places the tray on an unstable surface while getting more food and the whole tray flips over with everything going every which way!:(

The large platters are easier to manage than the trays.

That's a matter of opinion, and I do not agree that platters are easier to manage than trays. You put stuff on the table and then someone takes the table and you are stuck looking and retrieving again. By the time you make all those trips your food is cold!

And klutzes are klutzes and they will find a way to a mess trays or platters :)

I bought trays for $1.29 each at the Christmas Tree shop - they will be coming on my next cruise - Sept 1 - yay!

Couple more questions ...

Have any of you done FTTF out of NYC? They didn't have it the last time we sailed. I got it for my next cruise. I'm mostly interested in having the room ready, but I'd like to know how it went with boarding too.

Also - I understand they have a Tasting Bar now. Is it where the California Roll Sushi was? And what did they have for you to taste? The only upcharge restaurant they have is the Steak House, so I don't quite get the purpose of swapping out the Sushi for it.

The Taste Bar is only open a few nights during the cruise. I think sea days and they have some type of "small plate" representative of one of the specialty restaurants in the fleet, not just what's on the Splendor. From what I remember there's a small shot glass of soup and piece of grilled sandwich, a Mexican type taste that I think was pork and another was meatballs. We skipped it most of the time, wasn't all that impressed. Miss the sushi bar!

The Taste Bar is only open a few nights during the cruise. I think sea days and they have some type of "small plate" representative of one of the specialty restaurants in the fleet, not just what's on the Splendor. From what I remember there's a small shot glass of soup and piece of grilled sandwich, a Mexican type taste that I think was pork and another was meatballs. We skipped it most of the time, wasn't all that impressed. Miss the sushi bar!

Oh - kind of dumb and a waste of a perfectly good Sushi Bar! I was there every night! Perfect before dinner snack! I'll probably check it out, but I'm going to miss that Sushi bar too!

Were you able to get sushi on the buffet?

That's a matter of opinion, and I do not agree that platters are easier to manage than trays. You put stuff on the table and then someone takes the table and you are stuck looking and retrieving again. By the time you make all those trips your food is cold!

And klutzes are klutzes and they will find a way to a mess trays or platters :)

I bought trays for $1.29 each at the Christmas Tree shop - they will be coming on my next cruise - Sept 1 - yay!

I will check out my Christmas tree shop. My problem is that I will probably walk away without the tray.

I will check out my Christmas tree shop. My problem is that I will probably walk away without the tray.

Instead of bringing your own trays, just order room service and use their trays!!

Oh - kind of dumb and a waste of a perfectly good Sushi Bar! I was there every night! Perfect before dinner snack! I'll probably check it out, but I'm going to miss that Sushi bar too!

Were you able to get sushi on the buffet?

I remember seeing sushi in the buffet on the Miracle when it had the Taste Bar, but I never found it on the Splendor. Maybe we were looking in the wrong place, not sure. I meant to ask, but one thing led to another and forgot about it.

I agree, would rather have the sushi bar too.

You are sailing a little more than a month before us, so let me know if you find it!

Edited by 092306

You are sailing a little more than a month before us, so let me know if you find it!

I will! And I will be looking, for sure. Makes a nice snack, but then so do the nacho chips, guacamole and salsa by the Burrito Bar. I didn't discover them until we were half way through our last cruise.

I've been hearing rumors of gelatto at the not-free Coffee Bar. Has anyone seen gelatto on the Splendor. I would pay for gelatto!

I will! And I will be looking, for sure. Makes a nice snack, but then so do the nacho chips, guacamole and salsa by the Burrito Bar. I didn't discover them until we were half way through our last cruise.

I've been hearing rumors of gelatto at the not-free Coffee Bar. Has anyone seen gelatto on the Splendor. I would pay for gelatto!

Ok, rookie Splendor cruiser here. Where is the Burrito Bar located? I too would be willing to pay for gelatto. Sailing in 28 days,Woo Hoo!! I loved the Miracle, but I think the SPlendor will be a nice change.

My daughter is going to be sooooo excited about the salsa/guacamole bar and gelatto - there goes the pizza and ice cream! :D