calypso bands

ELVISKL

I wish, the deck sucks now, just a giant TV blaring inane crap from the cruise director most days. I REALLY miss the live bands all over with the steel drums. Last I knew they still have this on Princess

Per John Heald, current entertainment options are being (re)considered by "the beards" (those in charge).

I may be mistaken, but I think I read here that there have been one or two calypso bands making appearances across the fleet over the past month or so. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more too. After he asked for people's opinions on it on Facebook, there was a large percentage of those who wanted them back.

Edited by seannyice81

We were on the Liberty in March and that was my biggest disappointment. I love the sounds of the steel drums. This is what gets me in the mood for my cruise, not a DJ. If they are going to use a DJ then at least play some calypso music. This plus the many cuts I noticed have made me rethink if I want to cruise Carnival anymore. We are on the NCL Breakaway April 30 and I will use this as my guide to what line we book next.

I'm not a fan. I enjoy calypso for about an hour then I want them to stop. I couldn't stand listening to them day after day!

Its all about a proper rotation of entertainment on the ship. Carnival knows this, but often some of the music isn't where it should be at the right time.

Since we're stuck with a DJ for the foreseeable future, it would be nice if we the passengers could have some input as to the type of music that's played. Instead of loud thump-thump wah-wah hip-hop music all of the time, maybe mix in some Reggae, some Calypso, some Jimmy Buffet, Beach boys, etc. I like Texas rock, but I know not everybody's a ZZ Top fan. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if some got mixed in.:D

Edited by beachbum53

• 1 year later...
Have they brought back the bands yet?? I am sick of big screen TVs on the lido deck!!! This is why I take a vacation, NOT to see tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Heald posted a week or so ago that the Live Music would be returning but no details as to when yet or what exactly the plan is.

Live music may make a comeback, but steel drum or calypso bands specifically may be a completely different story. Don't know if it's in Carnival's best interest to bring a band that plays only one type of monotonous music that appeals to a fraction of cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Live music may make a comeback, but steel drum or calypso bands specifically may be a completely different story. Don't know if it's in Carnival's best interest to bring a band that plays only one type of monotonous music that appeals to a fraction of cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Bingo.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! That IS the sound of the Caribbean! that sets the stage and the mood. I have never met anyone that didn't love a steal drum until today :( Heck, I listen to classic rock, punk, country whater at home. I am not advocating that they cannot play Reggae or rock or have a separate band for that other style, they always did. But upon boarding and at lunch by the pool, calypso is the only way to fly... without it I may as well be in Ohio or Canada, it just doesn't feel like a Caribbean cruise to me without it after decades of that being the norm.

As for "bringing back live music" I am not sure what that means, I have never been on a cruise without live music.

hope not....more DJ music, more EDM ...more modern.

If I want "modern" I will vacation in NYC..... Plus I love DJs and dance music, THAT IS WHAT THE DISCO IS FOR! We are talking Lido/poolside at lunch mostly

Imouer

You are right on ... I would pay $25 more per passenger to have a steel drum band play everyday at the pool. But the cost of a band for the week divided by the number of passengers can not be that much. $5 sounds more like it.

That's what makes it a Cruise.. The DJs can be in the Disco at night.

We love to get an ice cream cone when the ship is setting sail form ports and watch the dock runners while listening to steel drum music. You get the music, ice cream and the dock runners for entertainment. Life is good.