Boat To and Bus From Oia

Kenato

I inquired yesterday with Santorini Planet about the boat/bus Transfer to Oia (from Fira). We are sailing Windstar in June & stopping in Santorini on June 12.

They said:

"Hi and thank you for contacting us. The transfer to Oia is not running anymore because of the port authority. SantoriniPlanet is organising a new excursion: at 9.45 meeting point at the old port, than you'll be transferred to the new port and at 10 o'clock starts by bus with a tour guide a tour of the most beautiful things of the island: profitis Ilias with the amazing view on all the islands, stop with wine tasting at the Santowines winery, Oia village for 2-3 hours, back to Fira town.

Price 38€ per person."

Minimum participants 15

Is this the same boat that has been offered by the "Union Boatmen of Santorini"? Or was this an excursion thru Santorini Planet? Or is it the same thing? I don't want to post this on our May 5, 2014 board until we can confirm this. Several of us were planning our entire day around the Union Boatmen and the NST travel bus as mentioned on Tomsportguides.com.

Thanks for the alert! We will try to confirm too.

Is this the same boat that has been offered by the "Union Boatmen of Santorini"? Or was this an excursion thru Santorini Planet? Or is it the same thing? I don't want to post this on our May 5, 2014 board until we can confirm this. Several of us were planning our entire day around the Union Boatmen and the NST travel bus as mentioned on Tomsportguides.com.

Thanks for the alert! We will try to confirm too.

I am currently researching to find out the same information.

I received a similar reply from Santorini Planet. They mean they are not doing the boat transfers anymore that they used to run. I think they are not connected to the Boatman Union, they seem to be a private company. They do offer their own tours though, just not a straight boat transfer.

I also enquired on the NST website about boat transfers but had no reply.

Tonight I emailed the Boatman Union of Santorini and asked if they do boat transfers from Fira to Oia. So will wait for the reply!

I am basically wanting to know if you can still get a boat transfer from Fira to Oia after disembarking the ship and whether you can get a boat back rather than the bus. It would also be good to know if you can pre book this.

I an happy to post this information here if I hear back from them. If others find out any information, it would be great if you could also share!:)

Cheers

Amanda

Anemos Charter Boats will provide transportation via boat from Oia to Old Port for 12 people. It is a minimum of a 2 hour boat tour and will take you to the volcano to walk around, swim in the springs or whatever you want to do. Captain Stathis has been very easy to work with and very responsive to emails.

http://www.santonet.gr/sailing/anemos-boat/

Dolfans from Miami

This sounds like fun dolfans, do we have to get our own group of 12 or can we join an existing tour? Would love to do this but I had problems getting a group

as people were concerned everyone would not be able to get off the ship at the same time, the same thing would apply to this tout too:(

This sounds like fun dolfans, do we have to get our own group of 12 or can we join an existing tour? Would love to do this but I had problems getting a group

as people were concerned everyone would not be able to get off the ship at the same time, the same thing would apply to this tout too:(

We put together a group of 12 from the roll. It is 200 Euro for the 2 hour tour/drop off to old port from Oia. You can have everyone meet after touring Oia at the Ammoudi port and start your boat tour from there. I have heard of others setting it up this way. You avoid the cable car lines returning to Old Port from Fira doing it this way.

Dolfans from Miami

Edited by dolfans0704

We put together a group of 12 from the roll. It is 200 Euro for the 2 hour tour/drop off to old port from Oia. You can have everyone meet after touring Oia at the Ammoudi port and start your boat tour from there. I have heard of others setting it up this way. You avoid the cable car lines returning to Old Port from Fira doing it this way.

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks for posting this information, Dolfans. Seems like fun.

How did you get to Oia? Guessing you took the cable car up and then a bus? or taxi?

And did you just walk down the hill from Oia to the Ammoudi port?

Thanks for posting this information, Dolfans. Seems like fun.

How did you get to Oia? Guessing you took the cable car up and then a bus? or taxi?

And did you just walk down the hill from Oia to the Ammoudi port?

We have not gone yet. Our visit is at end of May. We are doing a land tour first from Fira (cable car to Fira) which will end at Ammoudi Bay. The tour company we are using for that leg of the visit is Santorini Private Tours. John and Nick have also been awesome to deal with. The cost is 75 euros per hour for a van for 12. The tour is scheduled for 4 hours.

http://www.privatesantorinitours.com/

Dolfans from Miami

We will be in Santorini from 7 to 4 on June 1, 2014, on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Right now it's listed as the only ship in port that day, although it carries 2100 passengers. So....with only one ship in port, do you guys think overcrowding and long lines for the cable car should still be a big concern? I'm also wondering if other ships are likely to be added to the schedule.

I'm new to this discussion and I've been trying to get clear on all these names, places and logistics. (The missing search function on CC hasn't helped.) Here's my understanding and I'd appreciate it if you all would set me straight if I'm still confused about any of this:

(1) Ship tenders will deliver us to the "Old Port," where the there are 3 ways to get up to Fira -- walk, cable car and donkeys. The exception is if you take a ship excursion, then tenders deliver you to the "New Port” (Athinios Bay) where you board a bus for your excursion. But New Port is a drop-off point only, with no excursions or tours ending there.

(2) From the tender drop-off point in Old Port, there is (possibly) a speed boat option, (tickets available by just walking up), going to the shore below Oia (Ammoudiou Bay). The price of the ticket includes a bus ride up to Oia, and then a bus ride on to Fira. (Union boats, NST buses)

(3) Seemingly all tours and excursions are designed to end in Fira, with only 3 ways down: cable car, donkeys, or walking, with the accompanying problem of long waits for the cable car. The only way to avoid this is to hire a private tour or guide and make special arrangements.

Is that correct? Thanks very much.

We will be in Santorini from 7 to 4 on June 1, 2014, on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Right now it's listed as the only ship in port that day, although it carries 2100 passengers. So....with only one ship in port, do you guys think overcrowding and long lines for the cable car should still be a big concern? I'm also wondering if other ships are likely to be added to the schedule.

I'm new to this discussion and I've been trying to get clear on all these names, places and logistics. (The missing search function on CC hasn't helped.) Here's my understanding and I'd appreciate it if you all would set me straight if I'm still confused about any of this:

(1) Ship tenders will deliver us to the "Old Port," where the there are 3 ways to get up to Fira -- walk, cable car and donkeys. The exception is if you take a ship excursion, then tenders deliver you to the "New Port” (Athinios Bay) where you board a bus for your excursion. But New Port is a drop-off point only, with no excursions or tours ending there.

(2) From the tender drop-off point in Old Port, there is (possibly) a speed boat option, (tickets available by just walking up), going to the shore below Oia (Ammoudiou Bay). The price of the ticket includes a bus ride up to Oia, and then a bus ride on to Fira. (Union boats, NST buses)

(3) Seemingly all tours and excursions are designed to end in Fira, with only 3 ways down: cable car, donkeys, or walking, with the accompanying problem of long waits for the cable car. The only way to avoid this is to hire a private tour or guide and make special arrangements.

Is that correct? Thanks very much.

Hi Melissa

Re point number 2, as mentioned in my post, I am trying to contact the Union Boatmen to determine if they still do boat transfers as it seems things might have changed recently.

Will let everyone know what I find out.

Cheers

Amanda

I just received this e-mail from Santorini Planet:

Hi, thanks you so much for contacting me.

Today has been decided that the transfer to Oia will run.

It will cost 25€ at the port and 20€ on internet.

Maximum people 400 per day.

You can understand that if you want to join the transfer it's better to book online, because with the limit per day at 400 and so many cruise ships in Caldera, everybody will run to buy the tickets.

The booking system will be on line from 11th of March, Monday.

The transfer will run from 8.30 until 11.00 o'clock

Only 3 times, 3 departures with maximum 400 people totally (all the boat companies together)

Thanks

regards

SantoriniPlanet

Από το iPad μου

20 Φεβ 2014, 23:40, ο/η Gianluca Chimenti <santoriniplanet@gmail.com> έγραψε:

I just received this e-mail from Santorini Planet:

Hi, thanks you so much for contacting me.

Today has been decided that the transfer to Oia will run.

It will cost 25€ at the port and 20€ on internet.

Maximum people 400 per day.

You can understand that if you want to join the transfer it's better to book online, because with the limit per day at 400 and so many cruise ships in Caldera, everybody will run to buy the tickets.

The booking system will be on line from 11th of March, Monday.

The transfer will run from 8.30 until 11.00 o'clock

Only 3 times, 3 departures with maximum 400 people totally (all the boat companies together)

Thanks

regards

SantoriniPlanet

Από το iPad μου

20 Φεβ 2014, 23:40, ο/η Gianluca Chimenti <santoriniplanet@gmail.com> έγραψε:

Thanks for sharing Rich! Very happy to hear they will be back in business this year. But now I'm wondering when the three departure times will be and if they will do it in reverse from Oia....

Thanks for the info Rich.

I also recontacted Santorini Planet and got the following information by reply email:

Boat will run in the morning 3 times:9.00 9.45 10.45 and maximum 400 people totally.

Speedboat to Ammoudi bay + bus to reach Oia town + bus back every hour on the hour to Fira town. You don't need to book the way back, you can decide in Oia

Price online 20 E per person at the port (if there are still available tickets) 25E.

It will be bookable from 11th, on Monday!

Hope this helps! Happy planning everyone!

Cheers

Amanda

This is good news! Altho I do see that Monday is the 10th, so we will have to check for the booking option on Monday and Tuesday.

I had emailed the Union Boatman directly, but have never received a reply. The online price from Santorini Planet is the same as in my notes for the Boatmen, so we plan to book this latest option online.

Thanks for checking!

Last fall one of the members of my Roll Call found this company and a number of us booked with them. We paid in advance with a credit card. We then were unable to anchor at Santorini due to high winds and I really had my doubts that we would get a refund, but I emailed them and a refund was issued within a day. So I highly recommend them. My only problem was that the initial email that Polimia sent went into my spam folder and I had to go looking for it. I think that happened to a number of people. Here is the contact info:

Polimia Kafieri

Dakoutros Travel

Fira-Santorini-Greece

tel:0030-22860-22958

fax:0030-22860-22686

http://www.dakoutrostravel.gr

I tried the link that was posted and it didnt work. I did find the Santorini planet website but it looks a little dodgy with things appearing in strange places. No matter what date you put in to inquire about a tour, it comes back saying no tours today. Anyone have better luck?

I tried the link that was posted and it didnt work. I did find the Santorini planet website but it looks a little dodgy with things appearing in strange places. No matter what date you put in to inquire about a tour, it comes back saying no tours today. Anyone have better luck?

I got the impression from the mail I got from Santorini Planet they were not loading the transfers and tours onto the website until 11 March for the coming season. They told me the decision has only just been made to continue the transfers for this year.

Maybe try after then and see how you go.

Cheers

Amanda

We booked with Santorini Planet too!

It is a very user friendly booking system and they use pay pal.

Thanks everyone for your help with this.

Cheers

Amanda

The site won't let me book. I get an error message.

The site won't let me book. I get an error message.

You are not alone! I tried last night and this morning, and when I select the date, it shows availability. When I try to book it, it reverts to a date in the past and won't let me change it.

You are not alone! I tried last night and this morning, and when I select the date, it shows availability. When I try to book it, it reverts to a date in the past and won't let me change it.

I figured out the problem. Currently, the only option bookable is the 8:45 departure. All others you have to wait until tomorrow.