Boat To and Bus From Oia

Kenato

The NST office is on the way to the cable car. They are plainly marked and the tenders all had flyers advertising them, too.

You didn't have to make a choice about the boat or shuttle until you were ready to return.

NST is essentially the boatsmen's union in Thira. They control most of the boat activity in the old port.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, this was VERY helpful.

Just got back from a cruise that included Santorini. After we tendered in, we went straight to the NST office. Their service, for 20 euros per person, included the fast boat to Oia,a shuttle bus up the hill to the town, and then your choice of a return trip by boat or a shuttle bus back to Fira.

That worked for us, and allowed us as much time as we wanted to spend in Oia before taking the shuttle bus to Fira.

How early did you arrive at Santorini? I like this option you have provided also and am curious about what time you left the ship.

We had planned to take the boat but there was a 40 minute wait and a short line for the cable car so we did that and a cab to Oia. The ride along the coast was beautiful. Also, the boat was not going to be going back that day.

Good to be able to decide when you arrive.

We had planned to take the boat but there was a 40 minute wait and a short line for the cable car so we did that and a cab to Oia. The ride along the coast was beautiful. Also, the boat was not going to be going back that day.

Good to be able to decide when you arrive.

Flexible planning- you are right. It is funny, Holly, how after so much research on the speedboat to Oia, you lucked out with a short line for cable car . Do you recall how much the taxi was to or from Oia, and was it easy to find one ?

It is strange how no one mentions the boat option which intrigued me.

We were a group of 5 but were still able to get a cab easily. It was 30 euros to Oia ( Maybe higher because there were 5 of us.). There's an area where cabs congregate. Our driver wanted to wait for us but we wanted to have lunch in Oia. We then got a cab to the black sand beach (35 e). Probably could have negotiated but glad they were willing to take us. Able to get back to cable car for 15 euros.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

We'll be visiting Santorini at the end of September and wondered whether anyone has taken the speedboat back from Ia to the Old Port where the ship's tenders are docked. If you've done this speedboat to Ia as well as back from Ia, could you tell us how it was done (what got you back and forth from port of Ia and the town of Ia). how much time were you able to spend in the town of Ia, was the speedboat ride smooth (my wife gets seasick), and do you recommend this speedboat return trip?

One reason we are interested in this possibility is to avoid the long lines for the cable cars coming down from Fira to the Old Port. We will be in Santorini on a day with a total of three ships in the caldera; two of the ships, including ours, will be leaving at the same time, 6pm, with a total passenger load of about 4300. We really do not want to be among the 4000 cruisers trying to get down from Fira before 6pm. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody used Santorini Planet recently? Their website doesn't appear to be working any more. Any updates on the speedboat / bus service? Thanks.

I was just on it and everything seem ok. In fact it seems they are doing a special rate for September.

Edited by travellover39

Did you ride back by boat to the old port or by bus to Fira? I'm interested in the boat ride back from Ia to the old port to avoid the cable car wait.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Did you ride back by boat to the old port or by bus to Fira? I'm interested in the boat ride back from Ia to the old port to avoid the cable car wait.

Not sure if you were asking me :confused: We will be in Santorini on Oct 18 so I don't know what we will actually do. I am hoping that we do go by bus to Fira even though it means dealing with the cable car. The line moves pretty quickly (I did it two years ago in August) and the ride itself is fast. Just allow about an hour to an hour and a half before the last tender.

I was just on it and everything seem ok. In fact it seems they are doing a special rate for September.

Did you take the speed boat back from Ia to the old port or the bus from Ia to Fira?

I'm interested in the speed boat back from Ia to the old port as a way to avoid the long cable car wait. We will be in Santorini Oct 3 with 3 large ships in the caldera and over 7000 cruisers in Fira.

The speedboat to below Oia, mini bus up, with bus return to Fira is mentioned on

http://www.tomsportguides.com

for Santorini and sounds like a perfect fit for us, but I hope travelers keep posting their experiences here for the next few months as we won't be there until May. It's great to see that most people have had good experiences.

I was grateful when I checked to see how many ships are in port and learned we are the only one! But now I wonder if that will work against us in the speedboat filling up? I will probably include a link to this discussion in our cruise thread to spark a bit more interest.

Thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Took the speedboat from the old port to Ia on Oct 3, spent two hours in beautiful Ia, then boarded the NST bus to Fira. Was great, and the price was only 15 euros pp. There were two stalls near the old port cable car entrance hawking this Transfer to Oia by speedboat option. Recommend this highly.

• 3 months later...
The speedboat to below Oia, mini bus up, with bus return to Fira is mentioned on www.tomsportguides.com for Santorini and sounds like a perfect fit for us, but I hope travelers keep posting their experiences here for the next few months as we won't be there until May. It's great to see that most people have had good experiences.

I was grateful when I checked to see how many ships are in port and learned we are the only one! But now I wonder if that will work against us in the speedboat filling up? I will probably include a link to this discussion in our cruise thread to spark a bit more interest.

quote]

I was wondering if you did post to our May 5 Eastern Med & Greek Isles Cruise thread? I'm interested in what others are doing/thinking.

Thanks!

We did this last October in Santorini. It could not have been easier! We got off the tender and strolled to the boat stand. You pay there and get on the fast boat. Loved the ride up to Fira! Then a mini bus took us to Oia and we walked into town. When it was time to come back, we returned to the bus stop station house, and they got us on pretty quickly. The bus ride back has beautiful views and the driver told some fun anecdotes. The we walked through Fira down to the cable car. We were the only ship in port, so there was no line at all for the cable car. Quick and effiicient! I would go back in a hearbeat! Especially beautiful.. especialy thinking of it today on another blustery New England snow storm day!

After reviewing/researching a great deal of posts on Santorini, I have come away with the feeling that if you are able to catch one of the first tenders off your ship (we will be arriving at 7:00 am) after the ship's excursions are tendered to their "special" port, that the lines should not be that bad for the cable cars. My main concern was the line for the cable cars returning to Old Port to catch the tender! With not wanting to end a great visit with an hour plus wait for a cable car in the hot sun (have done this way to many times in Disney!), I have opted to take the cable cars up to Fira, arranged a private 4 hour tour for our group of 12 ending in Oia for about an hour free time before being dropped off at Ammoudi port to catch a 2 hour charted boat tour which will end at Old Port, alleviating the need to wait in line at the cable cars at the end of the day. Hopefully all works out as planned! :)

Dolfans from Miami

veroo

We are interested in your itinerary on Santorini. Please give us the contact information

Thank you