Holland America tips and tricks for first time HAL cruisers?

lovely_serenity

Ditto with everyone on room service. SIGH....I love room service on HAL! Hot breakfast in bed....warm cookies and milk at night before you go to bed.

Bring your travel mug for beverages.

DH and I take insulated mugs with us (and a little container of dish soap). During the day/evening we fill the mugs with coffee, tea, water or lemonade in the Lido to take back to the cabin or out to the pool area.

On some cruises we just buy new mugs from the ship or at a port as a vacation souvenir and use it on the current cruise.

Instead of ordering the cheese plate from room service, make your own at the lunch buffet and keep the cheese in your room fridge for later. Better selection of cheeses and you can also get baguettes and bread sticks instead of the HAL cracker selection of Rye Krisp, Saltines, and Melba Toast :rolleyes:. A cheese plate is great to have on the balcony with the wine you brought yourself!

Every stateroom has a dvd player. You can request from close to 800 movie titles from the front desk (booklet with list of titles is found in your cabin - called Ship Flicks). Dvds can be picked up at the front desk or you can have them delivered.

If you have left over wine you will get the biggest smile by giving to a crew member Most people leave it for their room Stewart but I gave my to the photo staff they always made be laugh. Next time it might be someone who is cleaning main ship areas.

How about daytime snacks aside frrom the buffet/terrace grill/room service?

My DH can find somewhere to eat almost 24 hours a day. He can go to Lido and get juice and a snack while he waits for me to get dressed and wake up, then he goes with me to the MDR for breakfast, snacks and ice cream most of the time in the Lido. There is tea time about 2:30 and usually snacks by the pool. Lido again if you are hungry before dinner, and Lido for 11:30 buffet for the late night crowd. I am sure there are more places to snack but with room service and the grill there is lots of places to eat.

Archived