Holland America tips and tricks for first time HAL cruisers?

lovely_serenity

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to be embarking on my very first HAL cruise on the Volendam! I was wondering if there were any veteran HAL cruisers out there who would like to share some of their tips, secrets or tricks that could be implimented onboard that could make ones experience with HAL an even more enjoyable one!

Ex. Requesting complimentary hor d'oeuvres from bars

(if not specifically to HAL, any cruise tips?)

ie. bringing a shoe rack for your bathroom door for storage convenience

Thanks! :)

You can bring your own wine and soda onboard. We enjoy the Pinnacle (usually) and Le Cirque. I don't think the soda cards or new beverage packages make economic sense. Hows that for some random thoughts?

Do agree about the Pinnacle and an evening at Le Cirque. Le Cirque is a special dinner held just one evening in the Pinnacle Grill.

Happy Hour is usually held from 4 - 5 PM where you can buy one drink for regular price and get the second drink for $1. It is on drinks that cost up to $6.95 -- must be the same type of drink and can not be any premium alcohol. Usually held in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest.

Hot appetizers are served in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest from 5 - 6 PM and 7 - 8 PM.

HAL has Beverage Cards -- there is no savings on them -- but we find them nice to use as I don't have to keep a bunch of receipts to check at the end on the cruise. Whenever you get the card back, the price of your drink as well as the 15% gratuity as subtracted from the card. When we get a new receipt, I just throw away the old receipt.

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $100 (No Discount)

$250 Beverage Card cost $250 (No Discount)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The ships have now changed from giving you a can to just about 6 ounces of fountain soda.

ie. bringing a shoe rack for your bathroom door for storage convenience

:)

No need to bother with that rack. There is more than ample storage in the bathroom with the medicine cabinet, undersink storage, small tray in bath/shower and even a bit of room to spare on the sink top.

BTW, that WONDERFUL bread pudding is at the Lido durning lunch. On our cruise this spring that had at least 5 different kinds.

Don't take a wire shoe rack for the door. If you stumble (due to rough seas or a bit of dock rock) you could fall into it and hurt yourself. There are 3 closets with plenty of floor space to store shoes.
I think the shoe rack the OP refers to is a clear plastic one to hang over the bathroom door and isn't meant for shoes. Many use one of these for storing other small items all in one place.:)

Ask a bar tender for a "Weng Weng" - great drink, not on any menu.

Caution: I wouldn't drink more than 2 at a sitting.

Deb

I looked up that drink on Google - it is very strong - kinda like a Long Island Ice Tea drink - but made with fruit juices... The yummy sweet juices will fool you. Looks like 2 would be a good limit.....

I'm gonna try one on my cruise next year :D

CT

They make these little hanging ... thingies .... lord I can never find the right word. It's like a hanging shoe rack with the plastic slots for the shoes, but its much smaller and the slots are jewelry sized. Fits in a garment bag super easy, very thin, I'm so glad I had mine!

YOU CAN WRITE EGGS BENEDICT IN ON YOUR ROOM SERVICE BREAKFAST MENU AND YOU SHOULD DO IT OFTEN :D (lesson learned there, don't ask just do it)

I'm a piano bar nut if you aren't or have never really been try it one night, it's on of my favorite places on the ship!

Bring on LOTS OF WINE if you drink wine... there are ways around that whole "inside the stateroom only" thing ( Or so I hear *whistles innocently*.....)

Try the bread pudding. Its very good and I love it!

Helen

PS Have a great cruise!!!!!

On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, the bread pudding, (formally self serve from a large container) in the Lido, is now served, individually, by the staff, from the Ice Cream/ Dessert station! I believe that is called 'portion control'! :D

Do agree about the Pinnacle and an evening at Le Cirque. Le Cirque is a special dinner held just one evening in the Pinnacle Grill.

Happy Hour is usually held from 4 - 5 PM where you can buy one drink for regular price and get the second drink for $1. It is on drinks that cost up to $6.95 -- must be the same type of drink and can not be any premium alcohol. Usually held in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest.

Hot appetizers are served in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest from 5 - 6 PM and 7 - 8 PM.

HAL has Beverage Cards -- there is no savings on them -- but we find them nice to use as I don't have to keep a bunch of receipts to check at the end on the cruise. Whenever you get the card back, the price of your drink as well as the 15% gratuity as subtracted from the card. When we get a new receipt, I just throw away the old receipt.

$50.00 Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$50.00 Non-Alcoholic Beverage Card cost $50.00 (No Discount)

$100.00 Beverage Card cost $100 (No Discount)

$250 Beverage Card cost $250 (No Discount)

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The ships have now changed from giving you a can to just about 6 ounces of fountain soda.

On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, Happy Hour was also held, on occasion, in the Atrium Bar from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. ;)

No need to bother with that rack. There is more than ample storage in the bathroom with the medicine cabinet, undersink storage, small tray in bath/shower and even a bit of room to spare on the sink top.

BTW, that WONDERFUL bread pudding is at the Lido durning lunch. On our cruise this spring that had at least 5 different kinds.

On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, there was only ONE kind of bread pudding available with vanilla sauce! :(

I like to bring a couple of the little battery operated tea lights to put in the bathroom and at the door to the bathroom. It gives plenty of light at night believe it or not.

If you go to get ice cream check both sides of the Lido. Flavors are sometimes different. Be sure and get the cinnamon. It is wonderful.

On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, the bread pudding, (formally self serve from a large container) in the Lido, is now served, individually, by the staff, from the Ice Cream/ Dessert station! I believe that is called 'portion control'! :D

Noordam had it all by itself in a small niche just past the Ice Cream. Someone to control the portion size would have been a good thing!

On my recent cruise on the Westerdam, there was only ONE kind of bread pudding available with vanilla sauce! :(

Wish I could remember all the different ones they had on the Noordam. I tried to limit myself to just every other day as I didn't want to have to wear my bed sheet around. :o I remember there was one with chocolate, and a couple of others with different fruit. All had that wonderful vanilla sauce! :D

One of the great things we like about HAL is their room service.

First, you get HOT breakfast times (unlike most other lines) PLUS you can "write in" on the order form the night before just about anything on the main dining room breakfast menu and they will get it for you - i.e. chocolate crossants (sp.).

Second, for dinner you can order off of the main dining room menu (for that day of course) and have it sent to your cabin at whatever time you like. This works for lobster night, prime rib, etc. ONLY THING - you must ORDER during a certain time period (usually 5-6 PM, but check with your ship's front desk to be sure).

DaveOKC

Don't be shy about ordering from room service, especially if using your balcony for any period of time. It is all included in the price of the cruise, but do tip a dollar or two for the delivery.

Items are usually delivered quickly and they are delicious.:D

In general,if a ships sails at 4pm,what is the earliest time to be able to arrive and check in?

Is the MDR open on embarkation day and if so, what are the times?

Are cabins accessible as soon as you board, like Princess?

We will be on our first HAL cruise in June

In general,if a ships sails at 4pm,what is the earliest time to be able to arrive and check in?

I would suggest that the earliest time to be able to arrive and check in would be 11:00 a.m.

Yes, the MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch from 12 noon to 1:00 p.m. Of course, it will be open for dinner @ 5:15 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.for those in 'Open Dining' & at 5:30 p.m. for (early) 'Fixed Dining'; (8:00 p.m. for second 'Fixed Dining')

Yes, cabins are accessible as soon as you board. With HAL, it is known as 'Stateroom Direct'.

Yes, the MDR is open on embarkation day for lunch from 12 noon to 1:00 p.m.

On Embarkation day - I believe the MDR dining room is only open to past HAL passengers - not first timers on HAL

The Lido Buffet will be open to all that day.

Usually, i board at 11-something on my cruises

Archived