Xmas/New Year Cruise dawn princess vs Celebrity Solstice

Hi Subaru,

I have been on both ships and would highly recommend Solstice. Dawn Princess is OK, but is not much higher in standard than P&O. A honeymoon should be all about spoiling yourself and spending time in the cabin (;)). The verandah cabins and balconies on Solstice are much nicer, IMO. The Solstice is a much newer, and more impressive ship than the Dawn Princess.

The Aqua class cabins would be ideal for a honeymoon, as they include a couples pass to the thermal suite, as well as the AQ private dining room 'Blu' (fabulous food). Keep an eye on prices, as the AQ cabins can frequently sell at a lower price than the Concierge Class (even though they are one level above).

Sutho has a thread with some excellent photos of the Solstice.

Cheers,

Carina

From a transport perspective the Dawn princess one will presumably be simpler as you don't have to fly home (unless they don't live in Melbourne)?

It's also better as it has the extra stop in Burnie.

Onboard, they're not too different in the standard of facilities/service/food overall. However, Solstice is newer and certainly glitzier, and is larger so has more bars and speciality restaurants, plus a couple of extra features.

Both will have Christmas and New year celebrations on board. I'd suggest it comes down to their personal preference, but I don't think they'd be unhappy with either.

My nephew and his fiancee are looking at going on either of these ships for their honeymoon, they are not sure which one to go on shipwise any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Solstice! There is no comparison. If possible book Aqua Class cabin with all the choices re dining and other little comforts. We took our first cruise with Celebrity Solstice In Jan/Feb 2013 having previously sailed with Princess several times. We have rebooked for later this year because we loved it so much.

It would have to be Celebrity Solstice without hesitation.

1.) Celebrity seems to attract a more younger, modern and trendy crowd. Their ships are innovative and geared towards modern cruising.

2.) Solstice is much larger, much more space and has better facilities than Dawn Princess.

3.) Dawn Princess is rather cramped and small with small public rooms and cabins and a lack of decent facilities.

4.) The fare is more inclusive on Celebrity, Princess charge more for extras.

As a honeymoon couple, possibly young, they would enjoy Celebrity Solstice much more. Princess is ok but not that particular ship for a honeymoon or relaxing holiday. Dawn Princess feels more crowded and congested.

Although, while not disagreeing with what Sutho said (and I saw a few honeymoon couples on board), they should not expect a big party atmosphere (if they need one - they may not be looking for that).

Most nightlife, as it was, was pretty much over by midnight with one or two exceptions.

I have been on both as well. I think they would enjoy either however coming from a younger perspective I would choose the Solstice. I returned on her last week. The ship was very impressive, modern, innovative, spacious with the lawn being her biggest asset. I did meet several people around my age in the 25 to 35 bracket. However my experience would disagree with Sutho I didn't find her demographic any younger than princess but I wasn't travelling in the holiday period.

From my perspective there is no contest - Solstice (or any X ship for that matter) would beat Dawn Princess hands down. We found DP dark with low ceilings, our balcony cabin was tiny and the service was pretty average. I know some people love her - just not us.

I have been a Proud Princess from day one, with about 15 cruises on the Dawn, Diamond, Sapphire & Crown Princesses over the last 7 years. I just went Elite last year.

Since then due to friends, logistics and the Celebrity 123 Go drinks package promo, I've booked 3 Celebrity cruises . NUTS??? I thought I might be, considering all the benefits I'd just achieved on Princess.

After 11 nights on the Solstice over Easter I'm now thinking of becoming more of a Celebrity than a Princess (despite the free laundry & internet package!!!!!) I DEFINITELY found the demographic to be younger on the Solstice than on recent Princess cruises - more 30 & 40 somethings (and I'm a 50 something), maybe because it was an Easter cruise & it was an Australian coastal.

There were so-o-o-o many bars and venues on the Solstice, and a big variety of entertainment - most of which I just LOVED. The shortage of lounges/bars/entertainment venues on the Dawn would be one of my biggest criticisms. The dancers on the Solstice were the best I've seen on a cruise ship.

The Solstice cruise was a wonderful experience, and really can't be compared to the Dawn. CC friends from the UK are currently on the Dawn Princess, cruising around OZ, and having a good time, but they did describe the ship as "Australia's Favourite Floating Nursing Home"

Stepping down from my soapbox right now!!!!!!!

Here is a short video of how they serve drinks on Celebrity Solstice:

The Martini Bar was my favourite place on that ship. I have never seen anything like this on any other cruise I have been on. All I can say is they are generous with their alcohol portions and I probably was in bed by mid-night each night.

Here is a short video of how they serve drinks on Celebrity Solstice:

The Martini Bar was my favourite place on that ship. I have never seen anything like this on any other cruise I have been on. All I can say is they are generous with their alcohol portions and I probably was in bed by mid-night each night.

Appreciate, Tony, this link and great, fun video. Will share on our roll call. Here is a wonderful example where you need the video to see and share how they do this amazing pouring. Cute trick!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,898 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Appreciate, Tony, this link and great, fun video. Will share on our roll call. Here is a wonderful example where you need the video to see and share how they do this amazing pouring. Cute trick!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 2,898 views for this shorter version started late last week of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Glad you like it. It is also good to see all your input about Solsitce as that really helped get me excited seeing pictorial/descriptions first hand.

I would like to reiterate my vote for Solstice on this. I am on Dawn Princess right now doing Tasmania and to be honest I preferred Solstice better. In all honesty the age group on Solstice was much more younger too.

Archived