Weird sensation of still being at sea?

Mysticalmother

I disembarked the QE yesterday after 12 days at sea. Had a wonderful time, no problems with the somewhat rough seas we experienced.

But since arriving home, I am experiencing the sensation of feeling as if I am still at sea, my house moving around like the ship...! Well not quite as much but a definite feeling of "movement".:confused:

Has anyone else ever experienced this...and if so how long did it go on for? It feels really weird! And it has never happened to me before in 6 voyages and umpteen ferry crossings across the Bay of Biscay!

I disembarked the QE yesterday after 12 days at sea. Had a wonderful time, no problems with the somewhat rough seas we experienced.

But since arriving home, I am experiencing the sensation of feeling as if I am still at sea, my house moving around like the ship...! Well not quite as much but a definite feeling of "movement".:confused:

Has anyone else ever experienced this...and if so how long did it go on for? It feels really weird! And it has never happened to me before in 6 voyages and umpteen ferry crossings across the Bay of Biscay!

It's most likely that you are suffering from something known as "land sickness". In the days when I used to do a lot of sea angling from small boats of the coast of Antrim I used to get it regularly. I found that it was particularly noticeable when I was lying down in bed. It should wear off completely in a day or two. There is a somewhat more persistent condition known as "mal de debarquement syndrome" (MdDS) that can last for a long time but that is rare and I doubt that that is what is troubling you.

J

Yes, I sometimes get it for a week or so after a cruise, especially if it's been a little bouncy; it was particularly bad after using the vaporetti a great deal during a fortnight in Venice. For the vast majority it's a temporary inconvenience.

Mary

It happens a lot to me, usually going away after a day or so, although it sometimes can linger for a week. My first experience was in 1953 when I was 9 years old, having crossed the Atlantic on a troop ship (my Father was returning from his posting to Germany after the war) and going through a hurricane which caused me to become violently sea sick (not experienced since) which continued after disembarkation from the ship in Brooklyn. To a 9 year old who thought his sickness would end once on land, it was quite a shock. Now, I just feel a gentle rocking, which is actually quite pleasant as it brings back memories of the voyage from which I have recently disembarked.

Thanks for all your replies...very helpful.

Sounds like I'll just have to insist DH to cook & serve my meals, clear away the dishes, pour my wine and serve me cocktails...just like being on board! Maybe this sensation could last a long while...:D:D:D

I have this and it lasts up to 2 weeks. The first time was after a winter crossing, when I couldn't look up at the skyscrapers in NYC as I started to fall over. I feel really woozy and have been noticed to actually sway when I'm sat at my desk at work. I'd liken it to a feeling of mild drunkenness.

MrsH

Thanks for all your replies...very helpful.

Sounds like I'll just have to insist DH to cook & serve my meals, clear away the dishes, pour my wine and serve me cocktails...just like being on board! Maybe this sensation could last a long while...:D:D:D

Don't forget to tip.

Don

told me it has to do w/ the inner ear...after adjusting to being at sea(especially after 12 days like the OP had) it takes a while to get your land legs back......

I've bounced off of walls for a few days after some rough crossings!

Book something quickly - it will help!

Yes dear, I have had that happen. It's absolutely nothing to worry about and it will dissipate and go away very soon. Isn't it interesting how our little internal gyroscopes work? They must set themselves to the swaying motion and then it takes a few days for it to wear off. Interesting.

My mother and I both had this sensation after 14 days on Voyager of the seas. I was sure my bed was on board the ship. When I rang mum she said she also felt the same way. Glad it is not only us who have felt this. It lasted 5 days.

Sydgal

These modern super buildings now have built in dampers but will still have a horizontal movement in excess of 10 feet. I guess this will explain the drunken swagger of of those high ranking executives that work on the upper floors?

The symptoms you folk are discussing must surely be all in the mind unless you are living in these latest sky scrapers? The ship obviously moves depending on sea conditions but once alongside or the seas are calm then it doesn't.

I get this sensation after every cruise. It doesn't bother me but I am aware of it. It's much worse for me when I stand in confined spaces, eg a lift or if facing a corner.

It's called Mal de debarquement. It has a neurological basis and isn't "all in the mind ".

I get this sensation after every cruise. It doesn't bother me but I am aware of it. It's much worse for me when I stand in confined spaces, eg a lift or if facing a corner.

It's called Mal debarquement. It has a neurological basis and isn't "all in the mind ".

I have experienced this sensation before but not after every cruise. It does wear off.

It's called Mal de debarquement. It has a neurological basis and isn't "all in the mind ".

An interesting topic.

A lady states In particularly rough seas during the cruise

everyone was falling over and suffering from seasickness apart from her. Yet on dry land, she is the one slurring her words and being mistaken for being drunk.

My question is:

If this is motion sickness that is not motion sickness then is it motion sickness?

I cannot understand why anyone would get defensive if told the symptoms were 'all in the mind' because whether they are injected, drug induced or caused by any other method, the symptoms are surely all the same? The 'dizziness' is the dizziness.

Some folks are sea sick even when the ship is still in harbour.... Does that matter? Does it matter if the ship was not moving and what is the difference between these folks that are sea sick whilst the ship is still in harbour and your 'Mal de debarquement'?

I am sure the unfortunate victim does not care as their symptoms are genuine. Should they be saying they are suffering from Mal de debarquement and not sea sickness? Is your syndrome only applicable after you leave the ship and step ashore, but if you are still on the ship then it has a different title?

Ever since ships went to sea folks have been sea sick and sadly some have been sea sick before the ship has left the jetty. A horrible, horrible ailment and I have the greatest of sympathy for anyone that suffers from this ailment.

As you know I was in the same trip as you ( finally meeting as we disembarked!) My husband felt awful the day after the trip ,constant movement ,feeling sick,he has never had it before .I felt some rocking sensation the first day back but it is wearing off .Hope you feel better soon .Ruth

An interesting topic.

A lady states In particularly rough seas during the cruise

My question is:

If this is motion sickness that is not motion sickness then is it motion sickness?

I cannot understand why anyone would get defensive if told the symptoms were 'all in the mind' because whether they are injected, drug induced or caused by any other method, the symptoms are surely all the same? The 'dizziness' is the dizziness.

Some folks are sea sick even when the ship is still in harbour.... Does that matter? Does it matter if the ship was not moving and what is the difference between these folks that are sea sick whilst the ship is still in harbour and your 'Mal de debarquement'?

I am sure the unfortunate victim does not care as their symptoms are genuine. Should they be saying they are suffering from Mal de debarquement and not sea sickness? Is your syndrome only applicable after you leave the ship and step ashore, but if you are still on the ship then it has a different title?

Ever since ships went to sea folks have been sea sick and sadly some have been sea sick before the ship has left the jetty. A horrible, horrible ailment and I have the greatest of sympathy for anyone that suffers from this ailment.

glojo,

You're certainly right that whatever the cause of vertigo. be it psychological or physiological, be it on land or on sea, the suffering is genuine and deserves our sympathy. But how the problem could be prevented or treated, if at all, would depend on what its cause might be. Contrary to what one would expect, mal de mer and true mal de debarquement (unlike the passing "land sickness" many of us experience) are very different disorders. The drugs that usually nip the former in the bud have no effect on the latter.

Here's a useful and eyeopening site about the syndrome http://www.mdds.org.uk

Archived