New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Just got back from the Dawn, and our group of 4 ate at Cagney's one night. Here is my recap:

On my past cruises, we almost always choose to eat at Cagney's at least once per cruise. I have a pretty routine palette, so I would always order the same thing: shrimp cocktail, clam chowder, petite filet, sides of gratin potatoes & asparagus, and the brownie for dessert. This will be the basis of my comparison.

From the new menu I ordered the rib confit, baked potato soup, 8oz filet (with carmalized onions & garlic butter), sides of gratin potatoes & broccoli & green beans, and the brownie for dessert.

Others in my party ordered additional items including: Mexican Cesar salad, split pea soup, broiled mushroom chicken, sides of baked potato, mac&cheese, oreo cheesecake, ice cream sandwich, & apple crisp.

Our opinions:

Appetizers - the rib confit was very flavorful. It was served with pita pockets, but i didn't use them. I had eaten shrimp cocktail at lunch for Cagney's so i didn't order it again, but I've gotten in the habit of always having to ask for extra cocktail sauce since they have gone pretty skimpy.

Soups & salads - Baked potato soup was good, and was pretty on par with the old clam chowder. Split pea was brothy and didn't taste like pea soup at all. The only thing "mexican" about the ceasar salad was the fried tortilla bowl that it was served in. Ditch the tortilla bowl and just pour onto your plate.

Entrees - The filets were very good. We ordered 3 of them (medium rare, medium, & medium well), and all were cooked just right. I love the added topping options now. The carmelized onions were amazing and added the needed amount of seasoning. The garlic butter comes in a slab placed over the steak, so you have to rub it around for it to melt. The peppercorn and port dipping sauces were also both delicious. All of our steaks disappeared from our plates. My sister had the chicken (not a red meat eater), but she was not impressed with it, dry and tastless.

Sides - The gratin potatoes are basically the same as before. Instead of asparagus they have broccoli and greenbeans now. Both are not seasoned at all, so we took our garlic butter slab from the steak and stirred it into the vegatables and it helped out a lot. The mac & cheese has more of a cream sauce to it in lieu of a cheesy sauce, and didn't have alot of flavor. And there's not really a lot to judge about a baked potato.

Dessert - There are more options to chose from now, but unfortunately none really registered for us, and we tried 4 different choices. Instead of the moist, rich fudge like espresso brownie of the past, it has been replaced with a dry nut filled brownie (pecans, peanuts, walnuts). The oreo cheesecake was prepared nicely, but didn't taste much like oreo or cheesecake. The apple crisp was just a basic apple crisp. The mac nut ice cream sandwich may have been the best out of the bunch.

Will I go back to the New Cagney's ..... probably. There are other items on the menu that I am still interested in and would like to give it a try. Of the choices that i tried, I can't really say which Cagney's experience was better, old or new. Besides the dessert, which is hand's down old brownie as the victor.

No way that's Prime...... Select more like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App!

Too bad you got the bad cut. I went there on June 1st. The 18 ounce rib eye was done med. rare to perfection. Cut it with a fork. It was great. I have had prime aged rib eye steaks in the past and really could not truthfully say they were better than what I had in Cagney's that night. We were impressed enough to book it again during the cruise. We were not dissapointed.

Also the free (complimentary) wine they gave us was a choice of white or red. I chose the red. It was Santa Catalina (Chile) Merlot 2010. We liked it.

The resturant was resonanably filled. Every table was used at some time during our visit.

I felt the $30 cover was well worth it, especially after seeing basically the same thing at Yankee stadium going for over $50.

Choice cuts? could be, definitly not select.

We are 7 adults in family and ate at Cagneys on the Breakaway, honestly my NY Strip steak looked so good and was cooked to perfection but I could of gotten a much tastier steak even at the simple Longhorn Steakhouse. I was very disappointed and would not go back, to me the steak was choice or select, not tasty at all. Glad I went just won't go back.

Too bad you got the bad cut. I went there on June 1st. The 18 ounce rib eye was done med. rare to perfection. Cut it with a fork. It was great. I have had prime aged rib eye steaks in the past and really could not truthfully say they were better than what I had in Cagney's that night. We were impressed enough to book it again during the cruise. We were not dissapointed.

Also the free (complimentary) wine they gave us was a choice of white or red. I chose the red. It was Santa Catalina (Chile) Merlot 2010. We liked it.

The resturant was resonanably filled. Every table was used at some time during our visit.

I felt the $30 cover was well worth it, especially after seeing basically the same thing at Yankee stadium going for over $50.

Thanks so much for letting us know your experience at Cagney's. I'll be going at least twice during my November cruise and I'm very, very excited. I had a wonderful meal there last year and expect the same this year.

Frankly, I would have been shocked if you has said anything but the above after all your posts about Cagneys! Glad to know NCL magically serves select cuts of beef that are as good as prime...... Amazing!

No way that's Prime...... Select more like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App!

Frankly, I would have been shocked if you has said anything but the above after all your posts about Cagneys! Glad to know NCL magically serves select cuts of beef that are as good as prime...... Amazing!

It appears you've got your facts wrong. Per the supplier, the Certified Angus Beef Brand steaks have to be at a minimum USDA Choice. Select would not qualify:

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/grades.php

Q: How is beef graded?

A: Independent USDA graders inspect cattle and label them according to the grading scale: Prime, Choice, Select and several low-quality grades.

Q: How is beef selected for the Certified Angus Beef ® brand?

A: The same independent USDA graders inspect black-hided cattle (typical of the Angus breed) and give it a grade. All beef considered for the brand must be the best Choice, or Prime, beef – truly the top of the scale. This top-quality Angus beef is then evaluated again, using the brand’s set of 10 science-based specifications for marbling, size and uniformity. If it’s good enough to make the cut, then it earns the distinctive Certified Angus Beef ® brand label.

Edited by njhorseman

hi are you only allowed to choose 1 item such as 1 appetizer 1 soup

1 entree 1 dessert or as much has you like

One entree only. The menu says $10 for an additional entree. No one has reported being limited in number of appetizers, soups and desserts.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of 100 ordinary folk. How many would choose a borderline prime/choice (lowest of prime)every time over a borderline choice/prime (highest of choice)? Could I really tell the difference everytime? Probably not. A great cooked med/rare choice will beat a regular med cooked prime anyday in my mind. Preperation is over half the battle.

By the way, (just pointing out). Quite a few resturants in my neck of the woods do a Friday night Prime Rib dinner. Most are not really Prime Rib, they are choice cuts of Rib Roast. Marketing. I cook a mean rib roast my self, and purchase choice unless a special occasion. I buy aged prime sometimes and pay a lot more, to mixed results. A good choice Rib Roast is hard to complain about.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I might be in the minority because I do not like seafood. I felt the old menu offered nothing in the app category for those of us who don't eat seafood.

It looks to me like I would like it better. To each his own and that's why I love freestyle.

Out of 100 ordinary folk. How many would choose a borderline prime/choice (lowest of prime)every time over a borderline choice/prime (highest of choice)? Could I really tell the difference everytime? Probably not. A great cooked med/rare choice will beat a regular med cooked prime anyday in my mind. Preperation is over half the battle.

By the way, (just pointing out). Quite a few resturants in my neck of the woods do a Friday night Prime Rib dinner. Most are not really Prime Rib, they are choice cuts of Rib Roast. Marketing. I cook a mean rib roast my self, and purchase choice unless a special occasion. I buy aged prime sometimes and pay a lot more, to mixed results. A good choice Rib Roast is hard to complain about.

Actually they are prime rib, because the term "prime rib" designates the cut of beef, not the USDA grade of the beef.

If "prime rib" had to be from USDA prime beef almost every restaurant, supermarket and butcher in the US would have to be cited and fined for mislabeling their products.

Edited by njhorseman

Actually they are prime rib, because the term "prime rib" designates the cut of beef, not the USDA grade of the beef.

If "prime rib" had to be from USDA prime beef almost every restaurant, supermarket and butcher in the US would have to be cited and fined for mislabeling their products.

Primal Rib, true. Although "Prime" should be spelt "Prim" if that was honestly what they are thinking.

I perfer to call it standing rib roast. Though the resturants want us to think prime rib is actually "Prime". Our meat shops and supermarkets never refer to rib roasts as Prime Rib (unless it is prime), they sell it as either "prime, choice or select" rib roast. Whole, from small end (perfered) or from large end.

Edited by NH Cruisers

I've been sort of reading this thread for the last few weeks, and to be honest I have no idea what all these terms mean. I'm from the UK so we don't use the same classifications.

Having said that, I can see the use for such things if you have not eaten somewhere before, so you can make the decision whether to do so or not. However, once you have actually visited somewhere then it seems to me that there is a far more important measure.

Did that taste nice?

On my experience of Cagneys, the answer to that is Yes, so to be honest, I really couldn't care whether it is Prime or not.

I've been sort of reading this thread for the last few weeks, and to be honest I have no idea what all these terms mean. I'm from the UK so we don't use the same classifications.

Having said that, I can see the use for such things if you have not eaten somewhere before, so you can make the decision whether to do so or not. However, once you have actually visited somewhere then it seems to me that there is a far more important measure.

Did that taste nice?

On my experience of Cagneys, the answer to that is Yes, so to be honest, I really couldn't care whether it is Prime or not.

Yep!

Did that taste nice?

Agree!

Can't argue! Preparation is very key. I'm glad your meal was better than mine.....

I will try Cagney's with new menu only because I got a free dinner for two with my booking.

I will see if new menu is worth it for my next cruise

Suzanne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sjnyc323

I will try Cagney's with new menu only because I got a free dinner for two with my booking.

I will see if new menu is worth it for my next cruise

Suzanne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I went to Cagneys on Breakaway and we enjoyed it. I am a fan of that creme brûlée. Lol.

Believe it or not, we didnt have steak. We had seafood and I thought it was good. They family enjoyed Cagneys . The service was good and everyone was very nice.

Again, with food being so subjective and so many veteran cruisers , fans of the old Cagneys menu, I can't say you or anyone will enjoy it as we did. I hope so though. :)

• 1 month later...