New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

"Norwegian Cruise Line’s signature Steakhouse proudly serves

Certified Angus Beef ® brand steaks.

Uncompromising standards ensure it’s a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select, making it the

best-tasting beef available."

Intentionally misleading or outright lie?

Deceptive to be sure, but NCL lawyers could defend the language in court if they had to. Along the lines of the 'mini-suite', but worse.

The sentence doesn't actually say they are serving USDA prime, but if they did, it would be a cut above. Whatever that means.

They took away all the foods I always order and raised the price $5 bucks

Oysters Rockerfeller, chopped salad, crab cakes , lobster bisque and Prime Rib no longer eating there for dinner

Suzanne

AMEN. That is exactly what I ordered but instead of the Prime Rib I ordered the 12 oz filet mignon. Now it's only the 8 ounce!

NCL LISTEN UP! You can't reduce the offerings/portions while at the same time raising the fee and expect to retain reservations.

I will not be patroning Cagney's anymore :mad:

In small print it says $30 per three course meal

Yes, that immediately precedes, all in small print, "$10 per additional entree" and the link you posted after I posted mine...mine was for the Epic your's for the Gem...shows the same menu, the 4/23/2013 version. You may be implying that there must be an additional charge for any non entree item.

Edited by cruiseclues

[ATTACH]269213[/ATTACH]

It's not USDA prime. "Certified angus beef" brand do offer the prime ones but what carneys used are the inferior ones. See the pic attached.

http://pos.certifiedangusbeef.com/CategoryDetail.aspx?Id=11&Ir=N

From their website, six 8-oz filet mignon $107.95

Edited by Hgu314

[ATTACH]269213[/ATTACH]

It's not USDA prime. "Certified angus beef" brand do offer the prime ones but what carneys used are the inferior ones. See the pic attached.

Your first link doesn't work. It's Cagney's not carneys. Unless your statement is verified by something else on the certifiedangusbeef.com site, I'm not sure how you can make that statement. :)

In small print it says $30 per three course meal

I called NCL and got "Steve" who went away from the phone to answer the question of additional charge for non-entree items. "Steve" came back and said that there was an additional a la carte Cagney's menu on board ship which showed the prices for any additional item. So, apparently, your assumption was correct. :)

Steve said it was okay to mention his name. :)

Edited by cruiseclues

Ate there last Saturday. Food was good.

Best part was i didn't have to wear my big boy pants.;)

Bill

Dint say the food would be bad.

Shoulda worn some pants. No pants is why they get away with bolluxing the menu.

Thanks to all who posted, especially those who shared the menus! I like the addition of two kinds of ribs, bison strip, and sea bass. It's not a bad menu, but it's certainly not an upgrade and does not deserve an up charge. I just hope Le Bistro's not next!

Your first link doesn't work. It's Cagney's not carneys. Unless your statement is verified by something else on the certifiedangusbeef.com site, I'm not sure how you can make that statement. :)

It's typo. Try the link below, hope it works. Im still trying to figure out how to upload the pic.

Im not 100%sure, just speculation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95226928@N05/8681080763/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95226928@N05/8681080857/

I called NCL and got "Steve" who went away from the phone to answer the question of additional charge for non-entree items. "Steve" came back and said that there was an additional a la carte Cagney's menu on board ship which showed the prices for any additional item. So, apparently, your assumption was correct. :)

Steve said it was okay to mention his name. :)

Sounds like "Steve" gave you outdated information. There used to be certain items that carried a surcharge above the basic Cagney's cover charge. That is not the case any longer. When you look at the new menu, you'll see there are no a la carte surcharge items, but the menu does say the following: "Price includes three courses. $10 per each additional entrée."

Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_CagneysWebMenu_042313-Dawn.pdf

[ATTACH]269213[/ATTACH]

Having grown in the wholesale meat business (my father owned a wholesale distributorship), I can assure you that if the menu doesn't say "prime", you're not getting prime beef. Cagney's doesn't charge enough to be serving prime beef. Companies like Certified Angus Beef come up with clever wording in their marketing material that is designed to make you think their entire product line is prime beef, when it isn't. If you go to their website and read the descriptions carefully, you'll see that "Certified Angus Beef" with the logo that is being used on NCL's menu can be either prime or choice. Here's exactly what they say:"Our traditional product. The Certified Angus Beef ® brand ensures incredibly flavorful, tender and juicy beef due to generous marbling in every cut. Only the best of the Choice and Prime grades is considered. If it passes the brand’s 10 strict quality specifications, it earns our premium beef mark."

Contrast that wording with the description of their Prime product line, which is advertised under a different logo "For those who crave a luxurious meal. Certified Angus Beef ® brand Prime is the most robust, juiciest and exquisitely tender beef you can buy. Beef must qualify for USDA Prime – the top grade of beef available – then meet nine additional standards not required of USDA Prime. Less than 1.5% of all beef meets these exacting standards – beef earning our Certified Angus Beef ® brand Prime label is truly the best of the best."

You can find this material on their website: http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/products.php

Again...any restaurant serving prime will say so directly, and NCL does not.

Edited by njhorseman

Having grown in the wholesale meat business (my father owned a wholesale distributorship), I can assure you that if the menu doesn't say "prime", you're not getting prime beef. Cagney's doesn't charge enough to be serving prime beef. Companies like Certified Angus Beef come up with clever wording in their marketing material that is designed to make you think their entire product line is prime beef, when it isn't. If you go to their website and read the descriptions carefully, you'll see that "Certified Angus Beef" with the logo that is being used on NCL's menu can be either prime or choice. Here's exactly what they say:"Our traditional product. The Certified Angus Beef ® brand ensures incredibly flavorful, tender and juicy beef due to generous marbling in every cut. Only the best of the Choice and Prime grades is considered. If it passes the brand’s 10 strict quality specifications, it earns our premium beef mark."

Contrast that wording with the description of their Prime product line, which is advertised under a different logo "For those who crave a luxurious meal. Certified Angus Beef ® brand Prime is the most robust, juiciest and exquisitely tender beef you can buy. Beef must qualify for USDA Prime – the top grade of beef available – then meet nine additional standards not required of USDA Prime. Less than 1.5% of all beef meets these exacting standards – beef earning our Certified Angus Beef ® brand Prime label is truly the best of the best."

You can find this material on their website: http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/products.php

Agreed. If it's PRIME, they will most certainly tout it! I'm still surprised that only Carnival (of the major lines that I'm aware of) carries Prime grade beef in their Steakhouse: MENU. It was a deal at $25 pp, then at $30 pp, and I still feel a good value at their new cover charge of $35 pp. I am far from a Carnival cheerleader, but there at least they reign supreme. :D

Our favorite NCL specialty venue is Le Bistro, though we came to NCL right as they were modifying their menu. "Modifying" as in removing foie gras as an option. As to whether it vanished owing to it's cost or controversy, I have no idea.

Tom

on the pre booking link to ncl dining..they are showing the old menu! So those newbies and non ccers who are pre booking dining are being shown the old menu! If I were pre booking and saw the old menu, and I was not a seasoned cruiser/ccer I would probably book Cagney's for 2 nights!

Shame on you NCL...get your whiz kids to fix the website and when you show the Cagney's sample menu...be sure it is the NEW menu...not the OLD menu!! of course you have the NEW PRICE..gee, I wonder why you didn't put up the new menu as well. ok, I know the answer...

of course your pre bookings will drop off.....just sayin'

on the pre booking link to ncl dining..they are showing the old menu! So those newbies and non ccers who are pre booking dining are being shown the old menu! If I were pre booking and saw the old menu, and I was not a seasoned cruiser/ccer I would probably book Cagney's for 2 nights!

Shame on you NCL...get your whiz kids to fix the website and when you show the Cagney's sample menu...be sure it is the NEW menu...not the OLD menu!! of course you have the NEW PRICE..gee, I wonder why you didn't put up the new menu as well. ok, I know the answer...

of course your pre bookings will drop off.....just sayin'

Do you mean the same WHIZ KIDS that have not replied to my email regarding a Latitudes booking problem that I sent them TWO MONTHS AGO! :(

Tom

they seem to be intentionally misleading those who want to pre book by showing the old, much better menu. not nice!

I've seen the Royal, Carnival, and NCL websites peppered with outdated and sometimes conflicting information from time to time. It's not a good business practice to feed people incorrect information for a product, be it due to ineptitude/cheapness or by intentional smoke and mirrors.

Tom

I've seen the Royal, Carnival, and NCL websites peppered with outdated and sometimes conflicting information from time to time. It's not a good business practice to feed people incorrect information for a product, be it due to ineptitude/cheapness or by intentional smoke and mirrors.

Tom

question for you....do you know if on the pre booking link La cucina is the old menu or new menu?

looks good...but

we didn't go there last time and the pre booking menu looks ok to me..just want to know if that is what we will actually get when we sit down.

Ugh. It's even more disappointing when I look at the actual menu. <sigh> That may even be enough to convince me to use our free Platinum dinner at Le Bistro because it doesn't even look worth paying the difference to eat at Cagney's. I seriously hope NCL rethinks this menu and replaces it within the next few months.

Ugh. It's even more disappointing when I look at the actual menu. <sigh> That may even be enough to convince me to use our free Platinum dinner at Le Bistro because it doesn't even look worth paying the difference to eat at Cagney's. I seriously hope NCL rethinks this menu and replaces it within the next few months.

the next few weeks hopefully

Edited by maggie cruises

question for you....do you know if on the pre booking link La cucina is the old menu or new menu?

looks good...but

we didn't go there last time and the pre booking menu looks ok to me..just want to know if that is what we will actually get when we sit down.

La Cucina is the only NCL specialty restaurant that we've skipped on our sailings. I have no idea what menu they are currently displaying... sorry.

Tom

La Cucina is the only NCL specialty restaurant that we've skipped on our sailings. I have no idea what menu they are currently displaying... sorry.

Tom

thanks..we are skipping it as well...so I just booked..Hibachi...French...and Brazilian...

we will get our fill of beef..seafood..snails...

They took away all the foods I always order and raised the price $5 bucks

Oysters Rockerfeller, chopped salad, crab cakes , lobster bisque and Prime Rib no longer eating there for dinner

Suzanne

My Sentiments Exactly.

First of all, I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not supporting NCL in any way. In fact, over time, many have said in their reviews that, in general, the NCL Specialty Restaurants are not as good as the other major cruise lines specialty restaurants...and with that many people saying the same thing, I tend to believe them. My issue is wording, and whether NCL is lying to the public, and lying includes in my own definition, misleading or deceptive statements. :)

What the NCL 4/23/2013 Cagney's menu says is "Uncompromising standards ensure's that it is a cut above USDA Prime, Choice and Select..." ...clearly to state that the 4 choices are all above USDA Prime, and not to include the "Choice and Select" on the end of their statement would be a the best way to say their beef is above USDA Prime without the chance of deception...If it is uncovered that they are attempting to deceive...they will be paying for it for a long, long time, on the internet (a letter, worded correctly, requesting that information will be enough for me...whether they respond to the letter or not). :)

Sounds like "Steve" gave you outdated information. There used to be certain items that carried a surcharge above the basic Cagney's cover charge. That is not the case any longer. When you look at the new menu, you'll see there are no a la carte surcharge items, but the menu does say the following: "Price includes three courses. $10 per each additional entrée."

Here's a link to the menu:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/19626_CagneysWebMenu_042313-Dawn.pdf

This menu is the same NCL 4/23/2013 Cagney's menu to which I originally posted the link, though in the URL it says Dawn instead of Epic or Gem.

Steve told me there was a separate Cagney's a la Carte menu which had the individual item prices if you ask for more, which exists right now on board the NCL ships. From a marketing view, it is not in NCL's interest to say that if it is not true. If anyone has seen this separate menu, please let us know, or better yet, post the separate Cagney's a la Carte menu on this forum. :)

I called NCL again, and "Robie" sp? told me that there was no charge for extra items on the Cagney's menu, after leaving the phone and talking to a supervisor...so now we have two opposing pieces of information. :)

Robie said I could use his name.

Edited by cruiseclues